Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If they finally make a PC version, I can essentially throw my 360 in the closet at that point.

Is there a 360 something that is worth playing for us 4e fans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

AXE COP posted:

That's why assassins are not very good! You could try to compensate by giving him the feat that makes placing shrouds an act that enemies don't notice, then giving him more opportunities to set them up out of combat. That way when a fight begins he can jump out of stealth and hit the shrouded guy for a massive alpha strike, which should both make him more useful and feel more like an actual assassin.

Of course then you have the problem of 'what does everyone else do while he's off faffing about in the shadows?'

What if assassin shrouds were more of an internal counter thing and could be invoked on any target. So instead of putting them on targets you put them on yourself and use them up whenever.

I think there are powers and feats that have effects on your shrouded target; I haven't worked that out yet.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I do inherent bonuses, expertise feat, improved defenses.

I also take a step towards DTAS and say that your primary stat applies to your (first) class's powers. Helps give some more options to W and V classes.

I wish I could go full DTAS but I like using the Character Builder. It's easy just to cross out one stat in the powers after printing the cards.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
If I let all races freely assign the +2 ability bonuses at chargen, should I give Humans an additional +2 to play with? Or does the extra feat balance that out?

Realistically the second +2 would be going to your rider stat so an extra feat may (theoretically) balance that out.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
It's been a while since I've looked at strikers but I seem to remember some getting additional damage when attacking targets "away" from others (either friends or foes). Focus-fire is the general strategy for PCs, correct? This burns down enemies as quick as possible. But attacking targets that are "alone" seems counter-intuitive.

Maybe it's just certain powers and not class features, but I'm phone posting and don't have access to my books at the moment. If there are striker features like this, can someone help me connect the logic here?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

PMush Perfect posted:

The Slaying Stone is pretty good, as long as you're flexible with how you handle the noncombat parts, since those can be a little awkward as-written.

Agreed. When I ran this it felt awkward when I tried sticking to the module. Although I have never really felt that confident running any kind of non combat stuff that isn't more than talking with NPCs.

Anyone know of any good examples of how something like the Slaying Stone exploration would play out? Like, the rogue wanted to sneak around to detect patrols. I determined that he could scout ahead and direct the party so they could all remain undetected. While trying to come up with a couple more obstacles so the party could get a few more successes it felt really contrived.

I don't actually run skill challenges anymore (because they're terrible) but I ran Slaying Stone years ago when I still had hope.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Five Eyes posted:

Is there a set of generally-accepted "fixes" for Beastmaster Ranger? Or some sort of obscure Beast Expertise etc. that helps close the gap?

(I'd understand if the answer is "fey beast tamer" - do folks just let the ranger beast powers work with that pet?)

I let the ranger have a pet companion character so the PC didn’t have to use actions to power the pet. Beast master powers would still work, but the ranger could pick better powers / features and still have a pet. I adjusted the encounter for 1 extra PC and everything was good.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, reskinning specifically. I imagine lost technology also is something you would want to replace magic items?

It doesn’t have to be lost that’s the beauty of reskinning. It can be new, lost, alien, inter-dimensional, etc.. What issue do you think you have with reskinning to a sci-fi setting (assuming space = sci-fi)?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

kaynorr posted:

To me this would be something like:

1. In less than eight hours something bad is going to happen. If the players don't even attempt to stop it (aka the climactic encounter) then something even worse happens.
2. Sketch out at least three encounters beforehand which thematically and mechanically build towards the climactic encounter.
3. Each encounter should have:
3a. The opportunity to use skills beforehand to gain a superior starting condition, or mitigate a really terrible starting condition.
3b. Terrain features
3c. A varied mix of opposition, some of whom will reappear in the climactic encounter (or least abilities are repeated if not actual foe types)
3d. A starting action advantage towards the opposition, exact ratio varies by party optimization / tier
3e. The opportunity to use skills during to mitigate traps/terrain features/gain an advantage
3f. An alternate (or optional additional) victory condition beyond clearing the field of opposition
4. After the encounter, there should be a choice to make after that has consequences for later encounters / after the day
This is an extremely helpful checklist.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was reinstalling my offline builder the other day, tested it every step of the way, and just skipped the CBLoader entirely when I realized it would only add Essentials stuff which I'd then kick out in campaign settings anyway.

Is this true? I was installing the builder on my new laptop and realized I didn’t have the index file so cbloader didn’t work. If the base + oct2010 update patch gives everything minus essentials, then I’ll be happy.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
If I still wanted CBLoader, can someone share a PM?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

dwarf74 posted:

I don't particularly want much - mostly just a cleanup of feats to get rid of trash and/or broken ones.

The math fixes would be fine, but I am also okay with the workaround since it's so easy to implement in the CB.

Wasn't someone working on trimming the feat list in CB? Also how are you implementing the math-fix workaround, just the typical "give these math fix feats for free" as house rules in CB? For my last group I didn't like seeing the "house rule" tag for some reason, so I just baked the +hit and +defense PC fixes into the monsters instead. That way the players didn't even know the math fix was implemented and I could use the "house rule" tag on their sheet to tell if they screwed up and picked up an extra feat or retrained too many heroic feats to paragon feats or something..

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I would be wary of controlling two separate factions that are going to battle against each other. You absolutely do not want to be rolling attacks against yourself - that just leaves the PCs sitting there bored.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
My players told me years ago that they generally didn’t like skill checks in combat because they felt giving up a standard action to just roll a d20 wasn’t as fun as selecting a power and rolling a d20. I started to argue that it was essentially the same, rolling and hoping for a big number, but stopped when I realized that the powers were where all the Cool Stuff happened.

After that I avoided skill checks unless I worked it to be only a move or minor action (depending on the encounter). If a player came up with an idea to use a skill on their own I just went with it. Otherwise skills were mostly used during role play times, if ever.

I toyed with using the 13th Age background concept during the next campaign and that worked out just fine.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Anyone use Fantasy Grounds for 4e? I just realized I had this sitting in my Steam library for a few years and never booted it up. I clicked around for a few minutes and it looks like it is missing a bunch of the material. But some of the rules are supported.

I saw the ddi parser utility. I’m wondering if one one has used the offline builder to populate all of the powers/classes/races/items.

Regardless, is FG good for 4e even with minimal out-of-box support?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I found a link to purchase a DDI subscription so I can grab the materials and use them for Fantasy Grounds. But after putting the 1-month subscription into the shopping cart and the site asking me to provide my WotC credentials it just hangs. I'm hoping there's maintenance or something going on with Digital River, and not something like access has finally been taken down.

Anyone recently re-up their DDI?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I did a few months ago and it went fine.

EDIT: Fantasy Grounds has 1180 items of DLC and all I can find for 4E are two adventures. Is there a 4E PHB/DMG/MM selection that I'm missing?

I don't think there's a licensing agreement for 4e, so that content isn't supported directly through FG. That's why I'm trying to grab the info with a 1-month subscription and load it into FG myself. I sent a support email to Digital River, the company behind the e-shop, since I'm now getting an error saying store.digitalriver.com isn't responding (and yet I can navigate there myself). Fingers crossed something wasn't pulled. Maybe Wizards just takes forever for their database to update and push with my new account info?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Could someone else try to get to the purchase page for DDI? Here's the link:
http://gc.digitalriver.com/store/dndi/html/pbPage.wizards

Select 1-month subscription, and then when you get to the page that asks for your username/password, enter that. Please let me know if you can get past that page or if it hangs up.

Digital River hasn't responded, but Wizards Support is telling me it should be working.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Spiteski posted:

Cool poo poo

Awesome thank you. I’ll give this a shot later tonight. I’ve been in WotC Support hell with them trying to tell me it is a problem with my account, or saying that they have no record of my purchase (no poo poo, that’s what I’m trying to do).

Right now they transferred my help ticket to another team. Whatever the final outcome I’ll update the thread.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Dremcon posted:

Right now they transferred my help ticket to another team. Whatever the final outcome I’ll update the thread.

Wizards Support Team Update - they have gone completely silent. After saying they were transferring me to an escalation team, I have heard nothing from them. I’ve pinged them every couple days, getting terser each time (but staying polite in case they drop my help ticket for being inappropriate/rude) and still nothing.

What a lovely service. If DDI is dead just say so you fucks.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Zeerust posted:

Thanks for this. I've got maybe 4 NPCs joining for the final fight, and since I'd be handing control to the PCs I think I'll just have them give the players an additional Daily and a way of shunting hits off from themselves instead of making them manage an entire stat block. The encounter budget is in the area of Level + 5 so I'm keeping them in the barrel for if they start struggling.

You may still need to be careful with action economy. Having an extra daily may not mean as much if the party doesn’t have the actions available to use them. I like the shunting hits idea though. Maybe give the pcs occasional choice to direct hits to an NPCs helper, with the consequence being too many shunts killing their friend(s). Especially for a set/campaign piece encounter, there’s narrative tension if close NPCs give their lives to aid the party complete an important goal.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Couldn’t you just make a companion npc and give it to whoever wants the pet? It can help you fill out defender/striker roles if you’re short. Reflavor dailies to be a dual-attack or something with the pet.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
A long time ago in one of these threads someone said, “burst = bURst = U R the center” and it stuck for me and everyone in my group.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Reskin a MM3 or later solo monster as the PCs’ ship? Consider each PC controlling the ship on different initiative counts. Reskin mobs as NPC ships to fight.

Consider changing movement rules? I wouldn’t as it just takes away a tactical element of the combat.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Did you modify KotS? Running it as-is is a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Has anyone backed MCDM RPG? I love physical books, but in terms of actual use at the table, nothing beats a searchable pdf…