Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The builder has special classes for companion characters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

dwarf74 posted:

Awesome. I'm starting a new Zeitgeist game for my 4e group on Wednesday, and now I'm going to be a player in a 4e game starting Saturday.

They need a melee striker, and I can't decide between Half-orc thief (maybe using spiked chain training?) or pixie rogue (fey beast tamer).

I was leaning former - simple classes don't faze me, and I like the idea of a beefy jock "thief" - but I think I've talked myself into the latter because I want a blink dog steed.

What level are you playing at? At level 1 thieves are the most damaging class in the game with only the barest of charge optimisation.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Making a striker class? Easy. Making a unique striker class? A little harder. Maybe you could borrow PoE's rogue mechanic and have scaling damage bonuses depending on the number of conditions the target is suffering from. Dazed? That's +1d6. Dazed, immobilised, prone and marked? +3d6 and roll twice on all your damage die. This damage would be dependent on having two ranged weapons equipped at once. Call it 'Opportunity Shot' or something.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The best pixie build is pixie knight because you can sit above an enemy's square and then it literally can't get out of your aura.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Removing feats seems like a really bad idea if you're just throwing it in as a house rule.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
If you're going to build your character around teleporting, it's generally best to go Bard and do the "taxi" build with Bardic Wayfarer that allows you to share all your teleports with your team. One guy devoted to teleporting himself around is okay, one guy devoted to teleporting EVERYONE around is super useful for any party.

Battleminds are also pretty good at teleports if you're in Heroic and grab Persistent Harrier. They have a theoretically unlimited range teleport every encounter (but that hinges on being hit by an enemy, and only works for the very first round) as well as plenty of teleports and other mobility powers, especially if you go Quicksilver Demon for your paragon path.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I could see a bugbear thief being pretty sick for level 1 if you could cadge a background with the right proficiencies.

Also I rolled a ranged bugbear slayer which literally bloodied or killed a monster every single round at level 1.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

dwarf74 posted:

Also, when you spend an Action Point, your next Power gets Range: Sight in case you want to shoot at the goddamn moon or something.

Oh my god. Oh my god I can do the Cosmonaut build for suplexing people out of orbit at 11th level without having to wait till 30 for Cosmic Soul, this is the best :neckbeard:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

killstealing posted:

My weapon is a bigass sword and my implement is a bigger judge's gavel

Welcome to 4e. It sounds like you've grasped the system perfectly.

And no nothing should break that at all. 4e is super super friendly to reskinning.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I am currently playing a difficult-terrain based warden as a giant scorpion politician from space.

I also had a teleport-based battlemind whose shtick was that he was actually cut loose in time. All his teleports and tricks were him flickering across the timeline, alternate versions appearing, or him cutting other people's cords loose too.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Intimidate as a minor is drat powerful, especially with no check penalty. It's one of the big reasons Yakuza is a good theme - having a power that is essentially "instantly kill a bloodied monster" as a minor is Really Good for any class.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Samurai is insane on an avenger. Coincidentally, avengers also get a power that does maximise all of their dice on a crit. It's a beautiful combo, really.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Supression Fire is really really good. Targeting a non-AC defense is powerful, area burst 3 is larger than some dailies and having a party-friendly attack roll penalty in a large zone is just icing on the cake. Unless I'm missing something there's also 0 reason for you to use Bomb Toss over it (edit: oh, I see bomb toss will gain effects through mod powers). Also it starts using damage die instead of weapon die at level 21?

Spending a whole standard to summon your automaton is pretty punishing, especially if it shares the same action mechanics as other classes.

I like the idea of the mod powers changing what your at-wills do. Some of the ammo mods are weirdly inconsistent though, in that only some of them are restricted to ranged basic attacks, whereas some apply to all your ranged attacks (including Suppression Fire I assume) which makes them a lot better.

Also I'm not sure how "you're more effective when you stick to one kind of mod" - since you can only use one at a time, they're encounter-long and they last until the end of the encounter, it seems more effective to spread out your options so you can apply modifiers to all your at-wills.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Yeah controller is probably the least essential role. Many classes have ways of dealing AoE damage for minion clearance, a defender is essentially a melee controller in many ways, and some strikers like rogues and monks and warlocks can do respectable lockdown. Meanwhile it's hard to replicate marking and incredibly hard to replicate the power of granted surges.

Really if wizards didn't have such absurd dailies I don't think there'd be any argument for having more than one in a party.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Blood of the Mighty is such a cool attack goddamnit. I wish I could poach it on every class.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
An extra 10% of your attacks doing 0 damage and having no effect certainly can't be a problem. No siree. I can't see any problems there. Just work better as a team!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

quote:

If the Monster is granting Combat Advantage (Which it probably will if you're a Melee character tag teaming with other Melee characters or have a Controller who Prones everything) this increases to 65%/75%/55%.

Having a 75% chance to hit with your attacks when buffed is not a decent chance to hit. The difference between missing 25% of the time and 5% of the time with your powers is gigantic unless you're doing nothing but farting out at-wills all game. I can't think of any miss effect or secondary rider good enough, even on dailies, that it would be worth giving up an 18 in your primary.

Like you're literally saying "I want to accomplish nothing on an extra 10% of my turns." Imagine randomly getting stunned every one in ten turns, except even worse because you're also wasting your powers at the same time. It's not like having team buffs and having good ability scores are mutually exclusive.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Knucklebear posted:

Has anyone tried making a Shaman with the Character creator recently? Its only letting me select one at-will power, I'm wondering if there's a bug or if I'm crazy or if they nerfed shamanses.

Shamans only get to pick one at-will. The other is determined by their selection of spirit.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I don't think messing with the rate or benefits of extended rests mechanically is going to be a great idea - at best you discourage players from using dailies even more, or you make them trivially easy to spam and break the balancing.

The only suggestion I can see really working out is RPZip's because players knowing they can only use one daily per encounter will encourage them to use them more often, even if it's just "one per the last three encounters of the day" instead of "all of them in the last encounter".

Also I'm pretty sure daily item uses were erratad out years ago.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I can't think of any build that relies on its dailies so much that it would be "crippled" because it didn't use the perfectly optimal one for the situation.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Placing a daily zone in the wrong place is not going to cripple a character. He's going to lose resources, sure, but that is a mistake that he should probably feel the effects of. Besides, how many daily attacks are going to do *nothing at all* just because their zone was misplaced? At the very least you'll probably pop a few minions, ding some standards, or buff some allies, even if it's only for one turn.

As RPZip mentioned the other problems only apply if you're also restricting daily utilities which you shouldn't do imo.

Herr Tog posted:

Also I am wondering which of the melee classes are going ot be the most battlefield mobile? I love the idea of running from enemy to enemy and stabbing them or literally getting the killing blow.

Rogues and Monks are the most mobile Strikers. Swordmages and Battleminds are probably the most mobile defenders, with the latter having an entire build and paragon path centred around running really fast and teleporting. Eladrin Knights can also hold their own with teleports. I'm not sure if there are any particularly mobile Leaders or Controllers. Wizards have a few utilities for flying and stuff like that. Sorcerers can mix it up in melee with some builds and they get a variety of mobility utilities too.

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 29, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Herr Tog posted:

Thanks for the help on the class thing guys~! also wtf is novaing?

The "Nova" refers to dumping all of your resources into a single turn in order to basically break an encounter as soon as possible. Charop is usually centered around making your nova as insane as possible so that you can do things like "kill an entire encounter with one action point" or "guarantee the death of one enemy, no matter what their health, status effects or location are".

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm in a PbP here that gives you a free teamwork feat (the guild stuff like silent shadows/wall crawlers/roof runners etc) and a free 'roleplay' feat (non combat stuff like linguist, master communicator, practised study, little things to round out your character). It works pretty well and lets you pick up stuff you'd never have touched otherwise.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
You gotta watch out for Mind Flayer Tormentors too. If they reduce you to 0 with their tentacle attack you die instantly because they just slurped your brain out through your ears.

However they are level 20 and that's the point at which death is starting to become less and less of a severity. At 24 most epic destinies gain a form of immortality but even at 20 you should have a dozen ways to interrupt the attack or cast Raise Dead afterwards or whatever.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Herr Tog posted:

I wanna give my characters a tribal feat as a reward in a a Dark Sun Campaign. How gently caress stupid am I?

Tribal feats are neat but hardly game breaking (or game affecting, really). It's a nice little bonus but I wouldn't make it their only reward.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The only trick I can think of for expanding reach permanently on any weapon is the Arena Fighter/Staff Expertise combo. But then you'd have to hybrid Fighter.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Gort posted:

What are the stacking rules in 4e regarding penalties, anyway? The first time my group played 1-30 we just had a defender and strikers, but this time round we have one of each role and the penalty stacking's getting pretty high.

Is something like a -8 to attack rolls reasonably achievable against a solo at level 10?

Bonuses don't stack if they're of the same type (e.g. feat bonus, item bonus). As far as I know penalties don't use the same system, so you can stack up to the roof if you want. However, if they come from the same power they won't stack with each other (so you can't Singing Strike, AP, Singing Strike to inflict a -4 penalty). From the player's handbook:

quote:

Penalties: Unlike bonuses, penalties don’t have types.
Penalties add together, unless they’re from the same power.
If two monsters attack you with the same power and each
causes you to take a penalty to a particular roll or score,
you don’t add the penalties together; you take the worst
penalty

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I don't think inherent bonuses can replace magic equipment entirely. There are tons of special weapon/armour/etc effects that they can't really compare to. It's a replacement for the treadmill, not the whole shebang.

Unless you mean just mean letting them get their 'core' set of stuff and going from there in which case I think it would work fine.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Rexides posted:

Exactly, which is why the DMG advises to also use divine boons and grandmaster training when using inherent bonuses.

True, but those are hardly a replacement. People who want special damage types on their attacks, non-standard crit dice or crit effects and so on are all out of luck with IBs and boons.

You're basically removing a big chunk of character customisation in order to avoid abusive stuff (although to be honest things like frostcheese ceased to be really cheesy years ago, since CA is so easy to come by now and you're sacrificing two feats and your weapon slot for +5 damage). I'd say you should still give out magic items, but sparsely, and once your players have their "preferred" items then you can start giving out wondrous items and poo poo like that and let the IBs take care of the numbers.

If your players insist on running broken builds then just talk to them and ask them to change it.

Majuju posted:

e: does anyone have the rules handy before I can look them up at home? From what I recall, you can have only one <boon/training/etc.> in total?

As far as I know boons are just reskinned magic items that don't need to be equipped. I don't know the rules specifically but given that there are some boons that come in multiples(e.g. Kingslayer's Curse) I think you can have more than one.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Also related question: Does anyone know how inherent bonuses interact with items that scale off their enhancement bonus or level? Some weapons have things like, say, the Quicksilver Blade's "gain an item bonus to initiative checks equal to the blade's enhancement bonus". Does that scale off the IB?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

homullus posted:

I don't think it does by default. We ruled that weapons became the next higher level of themselves when the player reached that level, though, to get around both this and the crit dice.

That seems like the most reasonable houseruling. Having IBs to replace the item treadmill kinda fails if you still need to upgrade to keep your bonuses relevant.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Herr Tog posted:

How does everyone else feel about this? Cause I loving hate it.

I think it's ok for the purposes of keeping up with a standard magic weapon of the right level. It's just kinda boring with all the different variations you can have on crits like the Aftershock weapon being "you hit a guy so hard everyone nearby falls over" or Blade of Night blinding people or whatever.

What do you hate about it?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
There is a legitimate build where you can substitute Acrobatics for Athletics and then Athletics for Strength checks, meaning you can bust through a wall by simply backflipping at it hard enough.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Not really. Most healing is fairly limited (the majority of leaders only get two per encounter) and builds that focus on it like the pacifist healer tend to sacrifice a lot in exchange.

Besides, if you are constantly spending surges you'll run out of them sooner or later (a smart DM will extend the adventuring day to compensate) and then no amount of Healing Words will save you. If you have that many heals then you've likely optimised for dragging the fight out over burst damage, so when you can't use that gimmick any more then things will get very hard.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

fatherdog posted:

Way too much bookkeeping, imo. Just roll a d6 each time they get sucked into one and apply a status based on what they got aged/de-aged to. "You're elderly and your hip has started to go! Slowed, save ends." "You've grown old and feeble! Weakened, save ends." "You've hit middle age and are struck with the crushing realization that you've spent your entire life doing nothing but killing things for money which you spend to get better at killing things! Dazed until EONT."

Yeah I think this would work better. The other solution both involves too much bookkeeping and is kind of boring (count numbers until you die!). There's plenty of cool things you could do with time travel.

If you want to avoid the same basic status effects you could try something like "falling into the time bubble has dislodged you from this timeline! You teleport to a random square with burst 2 every time you take an action (save ends)" or "your age is rapidly oscillating, at the end of each of your turns roll a d6 to determine what size you change to" or "you have become so old that you're starting to literally fossilise, at the end of each of your turns you become Petrified until the start of your next turn" and so on.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

jimcunningham posted:

Ok Contest Time (with no prize other than my gratitude). Im building a campaign around this:

Roughly 1000years ago, a very powerful evil was destroyed by a fierce warrior, said to be the best ever maybe. The oracles of all kingdoms gathered and determined that an even greater threat is coming. The goal will be to.resurrect the champion by finding his/her bones armor and weapons and some magic stone or something.

I'm exhausted and can't think right now. What race / class / weapon for this legend? Even a name would be welcome also art if you have it. I might end up commissioning a piece if they complete this thing.

Ifigured some DM would be itching to create something. If you want to make a character sheet, should be lvl 30 and can be very overpowered. My initial thoughts were Critvenger with that lvl 30 crit weapon, but am open to almost anything. Kbye

OK so DMPC's tend to be kind of sucky, especially if the player's entire mission is "get this guy awake so he can do all the hard work while we watch". So how about this?

The warrior spent so long fighting the forces of magical evil that he started to take on some of their essence. He's not inherently magical, but he's facetanked so many spells of darkness, evil curses, corrupting hexes and other bad mojo that he's now literally radioactive. The players' quest to revive him isn't so they have an overpowered ally helping them in battle - it's so he can take one swing and basically unleash a nuclear explosion of magic, weakening the Big Bads or clearing out enough of their chaff that the players can decapitate the greater threat themselves.

RPZip posted:

The hero was so powerful that he grew, and grew, and grew in size and stature until he towered over the world. When he fell, his body split into many pieces, each of which the heroes will have to recover and reassemble in order to reanimate him. But the long, long death and darkness have caused his muscles and nerves to atrophy to near uselessness, and his body has changed from flesh and bone to rock and iron. Fortunately, the heroes can direct each body part individually for the climactic final battle and form the coherent whole.

http://youtu.be/7mQuHh1X4H4?t=1m3s

Rexides posted:

Maybe the legend talks about one mighty hero, but it turns out that it was a group of people who brought that evil down, and the name of their group was what became the name of "the hero" as the story was passed on from generation to generation. Then "ressurecting the champion" becomes reforming that group with new people, maybe having to find their old magic weapons and spells that they once used. Maybe each PC could be a descendant of that original adventuring party.

Alternatively these are both great.

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 27, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Jimbozig posted:

This is very cool! Totally putting a monster like this in Strike!

Speaking of which, I'm compiling lists of cool powers and traits for Strike! What are your favourite 4e powers and traits? I shall blatantly steal them for the betterment of gamerkind.

The Frenzied Berserker paragon path for barbarians, while mostly irredeemable poop, had the most sick awesome level 20 daily I've ever seen in 4e:

MORTAL KOMBAT

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've got a player playing an Assassin and having fun with it generally, but I've noticed a trend. He'll put shrouds on an enemy over 2-3 rounds, and by the time he's getting ready to invoke the shrouds, that enemy will usually have joined the fray and another PC will have dropped it. Is that just the danger of playing an Assassin, should they coordinate better, or is there anything I could do, short of having shrouded enemies just stay out of trouble entirely?

That's why assassins are not very good! You could try to compensate by giving him the feat that makes placing shrouds an act that enemies don't notice, then giving him more opportunities to set them up out of combat. That way when a fight begins he can jump out of stealth and hit the shrouded guy for a massive alpha strike, which should both make him more useful and feel more like an actual assassin.

Of course then you have the problem of 'what does everyone else do while he's off faffing about in the shadows?'

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Both sides of this argument are dumb and spergy but if I had to pick one it would be the one that actually lets assassins Kill Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Warlords are force multipliers. They make a party with good attacks use those good attacks more often, when people use action points they also get substantial buffs, if they're not in the right place they will be soon, and if people are too busy getting stabbed to fight then they can heal them right back up. Warlords are good at Making Punching Happen.

Wardens are walls of meat. Really tempting walls of meat. They have huge HP pools, several ways to recover it and tons of powers based around drawing people in and keeping them there. Wardens are good at turning battlefields into horrible quagmires where the only good choice is hitting the warden.

Warlocks are evil persistent bastards. They throw out a relatively consistent stream of damage and mild-to-painful disabling effects from range, while at the same time being loving impossible to ever hit or lock down since they will always be A) concealed B) teleporting all over the place and C) gaining ridiculous bonuses to defense through blinding powers or warlock magic items. Also they have some of the coolest and most unique status effects. Warlocks are good at Hurting Without Being Hurt.

Warpriests are versatile leaders. Depending on the domain they choose they will be doing a variety of different things from granting extra attacks to imposing vulnerability to buffing ranged parties to inflicting heavy auto damage. What they all have in common is relatively beefy defenses, decent HP, a variety of self buffs and access to all of the cleric's incredible healing powers. They're like paladins with more focus on healing over punishment. Warpriests are good at Healing And Punching.