Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It wasn't a Sehanine exclusive move, it was just included in her supplement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LightWarden posted:

Why'd it have to be Strength-based? :negative:

(The article also had a Charisma-based sanction attack that gave paladins an option at range- but it required a bow, which paladins aren't proficient with.)

For added fun, roll around in either Imposter's or Summoned armor and you can even transform as a minor action.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but there was a whole series of "divine people with bow" powers attributed to sehanine.

The dumbest thing they did was create the silvery glow feat, which is an amazing damage boost feat, and limit it to only those who worship sehanine.

I've got a lot of characters that just pay lip service to sehanine as long as she boosts their radiant and cold damage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My favorite was a Warpriest with the Selune domain who worshipped Sehanine because it covered every single power he had.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That's a problem with the domain power feats. There are now objectively correct gods to worship as a divine character based on what at wills you are using.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

That's a REALLY bad power by RAW, because RAW, you can't use it with a melee weapon. Ranged keyword + Weapon keyword = needs a ranged weapon to function. Shame, because it would be fine as 'one target in CB5'.

4e's designers frequently didn't actually know 4e's rules.

I think in this case it's more a case of the intended effect of the power being obvious enough regardless of what the specific rule says. It's also coded properly in the online builder so it will use your equipped melee weapon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

That's one of the few areas on which 5e improved; removing minor actions for bookkeeping purposes.

Minor-action healing meant the healer could heal and do something else. Bonus action healing is just barely better than spending a spell slot with no tangible benefit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The only time I remember really abusing flight was on a pixie warlock, flying three squares straight up to trigger shadow walk and then letting my altitude limit bring me back down for the next turn.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Scholar + Travellers Insight = 35 passive insight at level 11.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

A Warlord with that RBA granter in a group with a Fire Elemental Sorcerer is basically the happiest Warlord in the world.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

cybertier posted:

Are there any "modern" concepts like "failing it forward" already built into the rules?
Can you make a minionmancer character? Preferably necromancer?

There are some powers, mainly leader powers, that have their buff/debuff utility tied to the Effect: line rather than the Hit: line, meaning that regardless of if you do damage or not your still doing you job. And almost all daily powers either do half damage on a miss, or are Reliable which means they aren't expended on a miss.

But as a striker it's your primary job to minimize missing at all costs.

As far as minionmancers, the Necromancer mage school is flavored as you summoning temporary ghosts/skeletons to do your dirty work. And refluffing is king in 4e. Have your character surrounded by ghosts, reflavor your bow and arrow as you hurling ghosts at people. Leave the mechanics alone but the flavor of "1d20+19; 1d4+8 and slow" is entirely up to you.

As far as DND Insider. It's now here, everything's still functional except for their cookies, so you have to log in every time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Summon druid also gains access to Fire Hawk, which is either one of the most amazing at wills ever, or complete garbage. Depending on who's doing your rules adjudication.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Section Z posted:

Dare I ask what twisted interpretations you have seen? Opportunity action and opportunity attack has always seemed pretty straightforward... Usually... (gently caress it, we are all idiots and keep forgetting Combat Challenge is an interrupt that doesn't get AoO bonuses. Might as well make it official)

But Fire Hawk has always looked pretty simple to me.

That's not the point of contention. The point in question is if you get the opportunity attack when they do an action that would provoke an opportunity action (E.G. they're standing off on their lonesome, and make a ranged attack or move without shifting) or if they have to actually provoke an opportunity attack from someone standing next to them for the druid to be able to use their opportunity action.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Someone from WOTC customer service ruled that it only worked on actions that *did* provoke an opportunity attack. So there's two conflicting rulings.

I do know that someone used some half-elf tomfoolery to turn it into "Deal 4d8+whatever damage as an at will, and another 4d8+whatever if you do anything other than shift twice."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Littlefinger posted:

What are those? I have only read Heroes of the Feywild and found it quite good (though I'm a sucker for fairy stuff). Anything else worth getting from the Essentials era?

HotEC has the elemental sorcerer, the fire variant of which is the holder of the "Strongest RBA Ever" award. If you're in a party with a warlord then the both of you are going to have a lot of fun.

As long as you weren't too attached to the idea of having daily powers, or Encounter powers that were in any way different than just buffing your 3 At-Wills.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LightWarden posted:

Similarly, if you have access to Eberron Material, Air Elementalist can pick up Mark of Storm and take Lyrandar Wind-rider in Paragon to happily fart high-damage sliding lightning at things forever.

The wind rider and the mark of storm are the reasons dragonmarks are banned from my 4e games. Mark of healing is pretty unbalanced too, but only since it adds saves to every but of healing a leader can use.

Compared to those two, making(like alchemy but less terrible) and handling(bm ranger math fixes??) Are barely worth considering.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Dead Mines is like the worst other than Uldaman though?

The worst was a full Blackrock Depths run, both city and council.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

This. The Radiant Mafia is an amazing party gimmick and should be attempted at least once.

One of these days I still wanna get a starblade into a radiant mafia game with that one paragon path that was balanced around warlocks having limited access to radiant damage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They also added new wizard subtypes in almost every single Essentials book, and all of them had full AEUDs save the Bladedancer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AweStriker posted:

What's an AEUD, again? I must have forgotten.

Like others said, they stand for the main power types. But mostly they're notable because almost all the essentials characters (Save the wizard) are missing one or more of those letters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

To be fair to WOTC, paragon multiclassing was from PHB1, back before they realized just how much of your character identity was tied up in your paragon path, and back before some classes had good paragon options *coughsoulthiefcough*

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

For the magic community that works out somewhat okay because from what i understand the magic subreddit is actually competently managed.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a 4e one of equivalent value.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Didn't a video game company pull this angry stunt a year or so ago. Except they didn't actually give any warning or notice to the sub Reddit or ensure that any of their employees were moderators.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There is probably nobody left at wotc who actually gives enough of a gently caress about dnd to defend the forums.

They're right about the magic forums though, short of a brief burst of activity around the time of Alesha Who Smiles At Heteronormality the forums have been a ghost town.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

The one big problem with battlemind (that I've noticed) is that they don't get a good basic attack, which hinders their stickiness significantly, but there are a couple ways to get around this (just taking melee training or, better yet, convincing your gm to let you have it for free is the simplest). Otherwise, the only problem with them is the problem with most phb3 classes not named the monk in that they didn't get nearly as much support as phb 1 or 2 classes.

Fixed that for you.

It was much easier for the dragon/essentials crew to come out with new monk stuff than it was for them to figure out the power point system.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Isn't Lightning Rush or whatever at level 7?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gnolls got some feat/paragon path support, but they didn't get a PHB3 stat-switch like the other races did.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This left them in a lurch because gnolls are really poorly focused and have an ability combo that is hard to do anything with.

Yeah, Con/Dex is only useful to a single rogue build and a single assassin build. And that feat that turns their claws into short-swords is really sub par.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Khizan posted:

Daring Blade, Bard PP. The L11 feature lets you use Cha for martial powers, so you just need to pick up an MBA.

There's a half elf knight build that just uses con for everything, and adds it to MBA damage 3 times.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I thought that 5, 15, and 25 are the points in the monster math where the extra +1s are supposed to go, they just did it by tier because then you can't take a feat at level 1 that does literally nothing..

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Some of them are super lukewarm though, I can't remember off the top of my head but I think Holy Symbol Expertise was kind of terrible, which is why the Hybrid expertises were such a boon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

starkebn posted:

White Wolf seems to have passed hands a few times in the last couple of years, so I imagine there could be a big game/media company happy to have the brand

The thing about White Wolf is that it's parent company was willing to let it languish in obscurity, but it's former employees still cared enough to buy licensing rights and keep going without them. That is the brand that Paradox bought, and they appear to want to keep the relationship with OPP going. I'm not even sure if a similar situation could work for D&D.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

CCP didn't want to stop producing White Wolf books, actually. They ran into a problem with Icelandic exporting rules - essentially they couldn't produce WW books or other products without it directly taking away from EvE's profits. Hence, Onyx Path.

Hrm, didn't know about that. Still, the quality of the WoD books took a sharp downturn during CCP's tenure, the CCP/Scribendi years were..uhh.. Changing Breeds.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The fact that, like most/all power point using classes, the powers you pick at level 1 are the ones you'll be using for the rest of your career.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

For Psion, at least one of those "take and keep forever"s is at level 1 (Dishearten, I think?) and will also make your DM want to smack you for debuffing his monster's accuracy straight to hell.

This speaks to me on an intimate level.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If I wanted to run a game emphasizing non-standard races and non-standard race/class combinations, does an additional floating +2 that they can put into any stat their racials aren't boosting seem fine?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Hexblade is a success from a flavor perspective, but in actual gameplay it falls into the "Okay but boring" camp. It also misses out on most of the Warlock feat support because it doesn't interact with pact boons the same way as the base warlock, and it has it's own differently named ranged attack instead of Eldritch blast because sure, why not.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That's basically the reason everyone hates Demoralize. It doesn't actually CC them, but it does make their actions worthless for one round.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dragonborn. Very, very good racial abilities whether or not you pick the draconian subraces. Draconians can fly like, all the time. Your racial is seriously that difficult terrain means nothing. Only race with +Str and +Cha.

Vryloka also had +str/Cha, I seriously wanted to play a Vryloka Cosmic Sorcerer just so I could be a half-vampire channeling the raw power of irony the sun.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

3rding this, I played a brawler fighter who was "welterweight ufc champion Georges St. Pierre who woke up post knee surgery in a strange land a la John Carter of Mars", and it was tremendously fun to punch and kick (and double leg) everything, all the time.

Doing the "stranger in a strange land" thing was also super fun too.

My brain parsed this as "Stinger in a strange land" at first.

It still worked.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

If I ever get a chance to play 4e again, I'm doing this character again, except as either hulk hogan, macho man Randy savage, or the Rock.

Just lean into the over the top nature of the brawler fighter.

...And people still hate on 4e. Shameful.

The Rock, as a Goliath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is DDI totally dead now? I knew they were blocking new signups.

Yeah, I can still access everything, but I have an active account.