Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Regarding Feat Taxes: If a DM wanted to fix the problem on their side of the screen by changing monster math on top of the MM3 fixes, what would be involved there? Basically, how off does the math get? Would a generic "Tier bonus" to defenses and attacks do it?

What would then be lost by banning Expertise/Improved Defense feats, since the Essentials versions have secondary usefulness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Are there any people looking for players? A friend and I are looking for 4e games, but places like roll20 and fantasy grounds are all either 5e, pathfinder, or 4e "We start at level 1, no inherent bonuses, no free feats, also critical failures and I've banned sunrods."

I sifted through the glut of Pathfinder and 5e on my local Meetup groups about roleplaying and asked if anyone was interested in 4e, and I got a response after a couple weeks. I'm joining a game this weekend.

I guess it depends on your area but the players are out there. I get the feeling that 4e groups are a little withdrawn, since every time I've mentioned preferring it people always want to start a little edition war of their very own right then and there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
One of the players in our group is high-functioning ASD and loves tracking XP. The DM doles them out to all of us equally and we all level up at the same time on his schedule, but the player gets to have his fun and be the XP guy. Everybody's happy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A pixie brawler fighter is never a wrong choice.

("Oi! 'Ow's aboot a face full o' heid?!")

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah I play a Brawler (custom race in a homebrew campaign, so largely irrelevant details) and I took the Monk multiclass feat that gives unarmed attacks as d8 weapons, ki focus proficiency, and training in Acrobatics. It sets up so my unarmed attacks keep up with the item treadmill thanks to the ki focus, and I have taken precisely one other Monk feat in twelve levels.

It's an easy prereq to hit, Str OR Dex 13. If you don't have the first one as a fighter, you've hosed up anyhow.

(Improved Monk Unarmed Strike, for the curious - mix with Shock Trooper PP for d12 punches. Fists like fullblades!)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Really Pants posted:

With the enhancement bonus from Brawler Style and the proficiency bonus from Master of the Fist, punchman fighters are actually a little ahead of the curve there.

drat skippy. I hit on threes on the regular (with leader help).

And I do pretty drat good damage. Which is good, because the party has two leaders and no striker, so we all sort of pick up the damage slack.

Bottom line, so this isn't just a "Let me tell you about my character" post:

Anyone who is going fighter who hasn't already had a Brawler in a game, it's hilarious and incredibly fun. Pixie Brawler doubly so.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Unknown Quantity posted:

But what about flying away from it? Does a trail of fire just stay up in the sky as potential flaming arrow shenanigan fodder?

Hell yes it does. Because that would be awesome.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It looks like the offline character builder thread is long since defunct, and the wiki and associated websites seem either deleted or only hosting the files for download. I have created some custom content using the existing .xml files as a template but can't figure out how to actually add it to the builder - anybody care to enlighten me please? I feel like I must be missing something obvious.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Spiteski posted:

Don't you add the files .part to User/Documents/ddi/CBLoader ?

Okay, I did that. The custom content doesn't seem to show up. Namely, when creating a new character the custom race is not listed as a choice, and pretty much everything is based off that (racial powers, feats, etc). Did I miss a step?

EDIT: How do I force CBLoader to recheck that folder for new stuff? I think it's loading from its previous content check without updating its .part files.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Party Boat posted:

Try launching it with -e in the command line?

Forced the reload, but something broke it. It gets to "Applying new elements", then gives me a popup error box:

code:
Installation Problem

Please contact Customer Service at [url]http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin.wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=489[/url]
And obviously that won't work, it's not been supported in years.

Then it downloads everything from wizards.index, tries to reload from the DDI/CBLoader folder, and crashes back to the command line.

EDIT: Is there a way to check and see if there's a fatal flaw in my .xml? I'm not a coder, so it's very possible.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Subjunctive posted:

You could try copying an existing one and changing the name, to (maybe) rule that out.

Do you mean for example changing "40-gear.part" to something else?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Subjunctive posted:

Or copying an entry for an existing race and just changing the name. I don't have CBL in front of me right now, sorry.

This worked and "Test Race 1" showed up as an option, so there's something screwy with my code I guess. Thanks for the help so far - any ideas how to figure out where I screwed up?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

If you pastebin it, we can take a look and see.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Here it is: https://pastebin.com/N226TLUZ

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MMAgCh posted:

In case you haven't gotten this sorted out yet, the statadd element for the Pisces Zodiac Stone needs to be enclosed within <rules> </rules> tags.

You've also got

for both items when you actually need
instead if you want the rarity to show up in the shop.

Thanks! I implemented the changes, but I don't know if this fixed anything because now the drat thing won't load at all - just crashes with that same error. Crap. I'll try reinstalling everything.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MMAgCh posted:

In that case I don't know what to tell you – simply adding those <rules> tags to your code as outlined earlier results in the CB's loading the .part file fine on my end. :shrug:

For the record, I have taken several running tries at making this work using the advice I recieved and every time I try to load the .part file it corrupts Character Builder in a way that requires a reinstall. I'm giving up on this little project - it's not worth the headache, I'll keep the character updated manually.

Thanks everyone who tried to help, though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moriatti posted:

I'll have to see if I can locate the document, but somebody made these for the offline builder and they're pretty ok!

If you find it, I'd be interested too. I had some trouble a while back making custom races for the offline builder, so a set of working examples might help me out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Does the Psionic power source have a similar tendency? I am much less familiar with the PHB3 classes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arivia posted:

This has no resemblance to the Forgotten Realms at all. You are completely, categorically wrong.

Ooh, let me try! *ahem* KIBO!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The offline builder does not play well with the Brawler features, I think due to the weirdness of having a weapon (unarmed attack) that also counts as a free hand, in both hands. I've never been able to sort out the issue, but I use a custom DM-created race as well which I've never been able to make CBLoader recognize either, so I just use the program to pick feats, powers, etc and make my own character sheet. Sucks, but there it is.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
As a fighter I took both, but wound up by the middle of Paragon with all three Superior defenses so I retrained out of Improved somewhere around 14 or 16. The riders all come in handy at various points and I'm tanky as gently caress as a result. If you're not totally feat-starved it's something to shoot for.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Holy poo poo one of my players has decided to DM! I haven't gotten to be a player in D&D since it came out like back in 2009!

What's good build advice on a level 8 brawler fighter? I wanna choke-slam a dragon.

Any other cool ideas for anything in the defender role are also appreciated.

If you want to bare-knuckle as opposed to grab-and-stab, monk multiclass makes for a pretty badass brawler with Monk Unarmed Strike and Ki Focus proficiency. It doesn't play well with the offline builder but it's a blast to punch golems and poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Reik posted:

One of our group's campaigns is switching back to 4e, and I think I want to play a Str/Dex brawler fighter. It seems like there's a lot of synergy between the Brawler powers and Flail feats/powers, between all the sliding and prone-ing and grabbing. Trying to figure out if I should do like, a three-headed flail and regular unarmed, or bring something like a Net or Whip and use the Monk multiclass feat to get unarmed combatant.

I did the latter - without the net or whip, so pure unarmed - and I've had a lot of fun. The DM tends to treat "marked" as aggro, so I don't get a lot of chances to do mark enforcement or OA stuff, but that's not the fault of the class by any stretch. There have been times when I've wondered if a flail brawler wouldn't have been more effective because of that, but chokeslam dragons all day 4ever so gently caress it, it's awesome.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I cannot even begin to express how insane Grappling Strike as an MBA would have made my Brawler. It's already usable as an OA but to be able to grab on an immediate interrupt as mark enforcement as well? Yowza.

Footwork Lure too. Suddenly enemies are never where they need to be to hit anything.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Due to player attrition, I'm down to four players from six. Those two were Strikers, leaving the party with: Paladin, Monk, Artificer, and Cleric. It's been a ride.

That monk is never going to die.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dwarf74 posted:

Essentials classes are either far too simplified and boring; or exactly as complicated as regular characters; or actually somehow more complicated depending on the rhetorical needs of the argument in question.

They have schroedingers complexity.

Or there might be more than one Essentials class and different descriptors apply to different ones?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
You've got a Charisma+ species playing a Charisma-based class. You're going to be fine.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Whybird posted:

The first thing that leaps out at me is alignment. I can't see anywhere in the rules (admittedly, I've only skimmed) that alignment has an effect. I think there's a pretty strong consensus among D&D players that alignment doesn't add anything to the game. I'd suggest ditching it entirely, or replacing it with something like "name three pillars of your character's moral compass, here are some examples".

If you do need to keep good and evil as objective forces of reality, at least cut out the "goblins are evil" line. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but the idea that morality is biologically determined is gross as hell and has no place in anything published this side of the millennium.

Alignment didn't have any mechanical effect in 4e either as I recall, so that may be a deliberate choice as a retroclone. I do agree that nothing would really be lost by excising it. My group actually did just that in our 4e games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

lightrook posted:

I thin the main thing I'd say about builds is that 4e is a very rewarding game to get very deep in the weeds, but relatively easy to function at baseline. There's only a few really major pitfalls to avoid, the main ones being "have at least a +4 mod in your main stat," "use a +3 proficiency weapon (instead of a +2)," and "play a normal class with normal AEDU powers (i.e. not an Essentials class)." Hybrid classes aren't too bad or broken, as long as their classes have overlapping stats and their AC is normal, and in some ways easier to play since they have fewer passive class features. I guess it does create more room to screw things up if a player doesn't know what they're doing, in a way that normal single classes don't, but a player that does know can create a broken monstrosity regardless, so the real solution is to be open and honest about expected optimization levels.

Given this, would anything get broken by just giving all weapons a +3 proficiency bonus? I know the original idea was to balance damage or special abilities of weapons vs the extra +1 to hit, but given how valuable any sources of attack bonuses are in 4e it seems much less relevant than intended.