Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They're not my turtles, but the show is not without its merits.

I watched the first five episodes of The Next Mutation and took notes, but when I took out all the ones that were just me reacting to what was onscreen, there wasn't much left. The show has a ridiculous amount of sound effects, a lot of offensively generic Asian mysticism, and Venus' presence necessitates an origin story where the four turtles aren't actually blood relatives so they can awkwardly and unsuccessfully hit on her.

The story thus far is pretty simple. Splinter falls into a magic coma. An old man from "Somewhere In China" sends his student, a mutant turtle, to help him. In order to teach the turtles to "dreamwalk" so they can save Splinter, the new turtle single-handedly defeats the Shredder and the turtles disband the Foot in order to rid them of their past attachments. They fight the Dragon Lord in meditation world, save Splinter, and come back to their bodies, but also bring Dragon Lord to New York City. Now there's a girl turtle living with them named Venus de Milo, Shredder and The Foot are gone, and their new enemy is an evil mystic dragon with a dragon version of that little rat guy that hung out with Jabba the Hutt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inkspot posted:

They're not my turtles, but the show is not without its merits.

I watched the first five episodes of The Next Mutation and took notes, but when I took out all the ones that were just me reacting to what was onscreen, there wasn't much left. The show has a ridiculous amount of sound effects, a lot of offensively generic Asian mysticism, and Venus' presence necessitates an origin story where the four turtles aren't actually blood relatives so they can awkwardly and unsuccessfully hit on her.

I think this is the one thing about Venus that put me off the show. I think she was put in as a clumsy grab for girls to relate to the show and to suggest some kind of love interest potential for the other four because familial love doesn't sell for the target audience.

Something I can't help but nitpick is that each turtle wraps their masks in a different way. They're already color-coded and sporting monogrammed belts, why would they have to distinguish themselves from one another by how they cover their eyes?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The only thing less subtle would be if they had a girl with a giant 5 on her shirt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really like that each of them has a unique model what with Don being taller and thinner and Mike being smaller than the others. I offered to babysit my buddy's kid who loves the show so I have an excuse to sit and watch the series all day.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I watched the first two episodes of the new series and I was pleasantly surprised. Obviously it's aimed at kids but it's not dumbed down garbage like so many other shows.

It's not the 2003 series, but it's not bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

It's not the 2003 series, but it's not bad.

CONFESSION TIME:

I've only seen about a dozen episodes of the '03 series. Is the entire series on dvd or streaming somewhere?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

CONFESSION TIME:

I've only seen about a dozen episodes of the '03 series. Is the entire series on dvd or streaming somewhere?

I can't believe the "new" ninja turtles cartoon is already 11 years old. :corsair:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe the "new" ninja turtles cartoon is already 11 years old. :corsair:

We're all getting old man.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Count me in as another huge TMNT fan. Grew up with them since the beginning, had all of the figures, had the magazine subscription, read the comics, ate the cereal and custard pies.

The first TMNT movie is one of my top 10 favorite flicks of all time (and the turtle suits still look great even today)

My favorite turtle is Raphael, and obviously my favorite figure is the movie star Raphael.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Rhyno posted:

I really like that each of them has a unique model what with Don being taller and thinner and Mike being smaller than the others. I offered to babysit my buddy's kid who loves the show so I have an excuse to sit and watch the series all day.

That's my favorite aspect of the new show. They're all very different people, and the animation style allows those differences to be visual as well as part of their characterization. It gets away from the gag personalities and into a lot more depth. Raph is short-tempered and proud, but he's also protective. He's the only one who cares for the responsibility of a pet. A major recurring theme is Leo struggling with leadership and trying to do the right thing. April even gets to grow as a character, and has become quite competent. When she needs saving, it never comes across as her being a damsel in distress. She's resourceful enough to hold her own in a fight even when she's out-manned.

One of my biggest reservations about the new Live action film is that the costuming and CGI won't be as flexible as the animation and lead to less-expressive turtles.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

CONFESSION TIME:

I know there were some weak releases of only a few episodes at a time but I'm not sure. It's the best series though. It takes a lot from the original Mirage run. Although obviously toned down because it's a cartoon.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Leo is my favorite. I guess the boring leader types alway appealed to me, Cyclops was my favorite X-man as well.

The first movie is great, to me it hasn't aged too much and is pretty dark. I don't re watch secret of the ooze and I ignore the third one. I also think tmnt is underrated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I swung by Target intending on snagging a few of the new TMNT figues but the didn't look all that impressive in person. I guess I'll be happy with the Classics I bought over the summer.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
The turtles themselves are really nice, but there are quite a few stinkers in the extended line. The new Casey Jones is pretty badass, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funtax posted:

The turtles themselves are really nice, but there are quite a few stinkers in the extended line. The new Casey Jones is pretty badass, though.

I just found out I was looking at the Battle Shell line. I'll have to look for the others.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Oh, and the seven pack of mousers is a MUST HAVE.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funtax posted:

Oh, and the seven pack of mousers is a MUST HAVE.

I saw those as well. I don't want to go crazy, just a few things to line the shelves.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
I'd say the four main turtles, Metalhead, the mousers, the second edition Shredder (with the cape and removable mask) and Casey Jones are the main figures worth considering. There's a rapid drop off in quality after that.

Not saying buy all of those, just that those are the ones that stand out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funtax posted:

I'd say the four main turtles, Metalhead, the mousers, the second edition Shredder (with the cape and removable mask) and Casey Jones are the main figures worth considering. There's a rapid drop off in quality after that.

Not saying buy all of those, just that those are the ones that stand out.

I think it's just gonna be the four Turtles for now. I've got a pile of other stuff to snatch up first.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

I think it's just gonna be the four Turtles for now. I've got a pile of other stuff to snatch up first.

The core turtles are pretty awesome. Bought Raphael on a whim and had to have the rest. All can be had for under ten bucks and they put every other figure on my shelf to shame. Sturdy, poseable and they look sweet. Wish these were around when I was a kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

The core turtles are pretty awesome. Bought Raphael on a whim and had to have the rest. All can be had for under ten bucks and they put every other figure on my shelf to shame. Sturdy, poseable and they look sweet. Wish these were around when I was a kid.

Do you have any of the TMNT Classics? They are incredible figures.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

Do you have any of the TMNT Classics? They are incredible figures.

I do not. I don't think I am allowed anymore Turtles in the house! The Bebop and Rocksteady look amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

I do not. I don't think I am allowed anymore Turtles in the house! The Bebop and Rocksteady look amazing.

I was lucky to grab those when they came into stock on TRU.com, they are pretty excellent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god, Lewis Black does a voice in the new TMNT? I love this show!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Issue 31 came out.

Leonardo is spiritually broken, but healing. April and Casey are feeling the weight of all of their secrets. Raph and Alopex are pushing whatever their thing is a little further. Not much here is really new to the cannon, but how everyone got to where they are is for different reasons than previous versions, and not knowing how those little twists will affect the natural progression of the story is what makes the book work.

Plus there's an awesome bird mutant.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 28, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Cartoon series news from TVIV. Contains :siren:spoilers:siren: for an upcoming episode:

Bean posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, a preview you'll all be interested in:

http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/5847277/

They're doing a crossover with the 80s cartoon featuring the original voice actors

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cartoon series news from TVIV. Contains :siren:spoilers:siren: for an upcoming episode:

They're doing a crossover with the 80s cartoon featuring the original voice actors

Oh my god.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man. A certain piece of news from a while back is even sadder now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lurdiak posted:

Man. A certain piece of news from a while back is even sadder now.

Aw man I'd forgotten, now I'm sad all over again. :(

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There are two things about Turtles Forever that didn't deliver.

1) The original voice actors.

2) 80's Casey Jones.

Now we're getting both, dirtbag.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Here's hoping 80's Casey shows up in his business casual outfit.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Here's hoping 80's Casey shows up in his business casual outfit.

Didn't he still wear the mask when he was in that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Along with his caddy bag of sports clubs, yes. And a very nice tie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit, I really need to catch up on the current TMNT series. Turtles Forever Done Right just earned a whole shellfull of good will.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit, I really need to catch up on the current TMNT series. Turtles Forever Done Right just earned a whole shellfull of good will.

They've been doing some great stuff in the current show. Check out season 2 episode 10 "Fungus Humungous" if you get a chance.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Along with his caddy bag of sports clubs, yes. And a very nice tie.

Casey Jones, Esq.

Edit: The context is too good not to share. From this place:

quote:

Perhaps the best of his appearances, though, was in the season 3 episode “Corporate Raiders from Dimension X.” In this episode, a bunch of Corporate Raiders from Dimension X come to New York to set up a corporation for the purposes of raiding. Or so I believe. The Turtles have to find some way to infiltrate “Octopus Inc.” and find out their deal, and that means getting one of their human friends to get a job there. Since making coffee and getting slapped in the butt all day isn’t going to get them anywhere, they decide that April’s a wash-out and go for their only male human friend: Casey Jones.

Of course, to attract Casey Jones, they have to break the law. So for about ten seconds, Raph shakes a vending machine back and forth. Casey immediately appears and begins wailing on him until they subdue the psycho and convince him it’s time to get a real job.

The best scene comes next, as Casey enters the lobby of the building in a suit and tie…and a hockey mask…and wearing his golf bag full of weapons. He actually succeeds in making it past the secretary and to the employment officer for an interview. When the interview starts to head south, Casey removes his bat and begins smashing up the employer’s desk.

He gets a job in the mail room.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 2, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to do write ups of every major incarnation of the franchise to put into the OP. Like the major beats of each iteration, the origin of the ooze, the turtles, Splinter etc. Trouble is I'm lazy. Anyone want to tag in and claim an era?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The two-parter is up on Nick's website.

Regarding the 80's turtle they show up as seen in that preview from usatoday and once again at the very end of the episode for a gag involving the villain. No Turtles Forever 2 yet, so that's kinda lame.
Pretty rad episode all in all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I want to do write ups of every major incarnation of the franchise to put into the OP. Like the major beats of each iteration, the origin of the ooze, the turtles, Splinter etc. Trouble is I'm lazy. Anyone want to tag in and claim an era?

I'll do the live action show!

Oh wait, what I meant was that I'll never do that, no matter what you threaten me with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I would do it. I mean, I watched the first five episodes on a whim not two weeks ago. But there's no way I could make it through the other 21 episodes without help.

• Locked thread