Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Of course not every iteration of the TMNT was awesome. Some were just plain awful.

The live action TV series 'The Next Mutation' was embarrassingly bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1bG_qlGIA

And then there was the inevitable Japanese adaptation with 'super mutations' and power zords and all that poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMfb60lc14
Punch one and two!
Kicks go Boom Boom!

They even got an official toy release:

Speaking of action figures, there were literally hundreds of TMNT toys and it seems that they were so desperate to cash in on the Turtles craze that they ran with absolutely any idea no matter how idiotic it was, which resulted in a bunch of awesome toys but also a mountain of lovely weird crap. Here's a random selection:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

Every single one of those toys you posted are exactly 167% more awesome than any toys being made today. How the gently caress did I forget about those Trek Turtles?

I wasn't exaggerating when I said there were hundreds of toys, we could probably have an entire thread just about the vehicles that were made for the old TMNT action figures.

They had a fuckin' tank and a jet fighter. :black101:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 31, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

I started watching the original films the other night which is what really prompted this thread. TMNT1 and 2 are so incredibly dated, more so than the original cartoon series. I skipped 3 and jumped right to the animated TMNT film

bobkatt013 posted:

This thread does not have the same policy where talking about the female turtle is not allowed?

The fifth Turtle was originally going to be called Kirby and appear in the fourth live action film "TMNT 4: The Next Mutation" (so named because the original four Turtles and Splinter would undergo secondary mutations - Donnie would become a telepath, Raph was going to turn into a monstrous beast with fangs and claws, etc) but the third film was so god awful that it killed the movie franchise for 14 years until the 2007 CGI film came out.

The 'secondary mutation' idea would later be re-used in the cartoons and comics and the 5th Turtle idea would pop up in the 'TMNT The Next Mutation' live action TV show in she-who-must-not-be-named.

There's a great write up here about the unmade 4th film with lots and lots of concept art.

I love that Raph's chest plate has transformed into a demonic face as part of his secondary mutation. Great work guys! :thumbsup:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

All those toys are really awesome.

We haven't even gotten to the most awesome classic TMNT toy yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_HxQPQjAuw

There's still plenty of weird stuff as well, such as the 'Flushomatic' toilet torture play set where the bad guys could tie down the turtles and poo poo on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSRn5w34oh4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 31, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Action Tortoise posted:

Do you have pics of the Troll Turtles? I still remember those adverstised on TV from years back.

Two great trends smooshed together for no reason at all! They actually made little TMNT trolls and 'giant' versions:

Also everyone knew there was official TMNT Legos now, right??

I would have killed for those when I was a kid. :sigh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 31, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

Oh god, it was so horrible!

I now hate the Turtles and am closing the thread!

That's pretty much exactly how the studio execs reacted, which is why the planned 4th live action film got shitcanned. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Cartoon series news from TVIV. Contains :siren:spoilers:siren: for an upcoming episode:

Bean posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, a preview you'll all be interested in:

http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/5847277/

They're doing a crossover with the 80s cartoon featuring the original voice actors

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lurdiak posted:

Man. A certain piece of news from a while back is even sadder now.

Aw man I'd forgotten, now I'm sad all over again. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit, I really need to catch up on the current TMNT series. Turtles Forever Done Right just earned a whole shellfull of good will.

They've been doing some great stuff in the current show. Check out season 2 episode 10 "Fungus Humungous" if you get a chance.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Taint Reaper posted:

1987 series she had her reporter ID with the number on it.

The action figures and toys had something similar, and it was especially present on the News Van vehicle from the toy line.

I just checked a whole bunch of footage from the 87 cartoon and the old action figures and I never saw a number on her anywhere. The news van and her assistant's TV camera often had a 6 on them but they were always station idents. The action figure of her boss also has a 6 on his shirt.

Weirdly enough almost all the fan art and cosplay based on the 87 April all have a 6 on them somewhere so it seems like almost everyone remembers her having a 6 on her even though I can't find any evidence of it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah ha ha, Raph's alt rage face and Donny's alt drool face are great.

• Locked thread