Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So is this like a Dynasty Warriors game except, you know, really good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Night10194 posted:

Imagine Dynasty Warriors if the gameplay was occasionally actually challenging and you got ridiculously awesome weapons.

This sounds like an inherently better game already, and I've played one too many Dynasty Warrior games.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Wow. Don't read/watch reviews for this game. The reviewers all seem to be partially brain-dead and unable to figure out a very simple game.

What I mean is that they avoid power-up boxes (despite, I don't know, years of video games since the 80s conditioning us to pick poo poo up), don't seem to get that the Wing Diver's weaponry is powered by the Wing Energy (The Giant Bomb video review is particularly atrocious since there are a bunch of people watching and reviewing it and no one seems to pick up on this).

Also, the Machinima one is pretty bad too, since they're all like BUT TITANFALL while playing it. My thought is... Well why don't you review that instead and stop bitching? It's the worst of unfunny nerds who think they're funny trying to be cool when they're not.

I haven't even touched the game and I get this.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Philthy posted:

Yeah, it's like a David Lynch movie of video games. Everyone is WHAT IS THIS poo poo, and then us hipsters are all :smug: because we know whats up.

That was a bad analogy, im sorry.

David Lynch still hasn't forgiven Dune, but I think he can find it in his heart to forgive this.

Especially after playing EDF 2025.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Holy loving poo poo. This game :aaaaa:

Fencer's starter weapons are poo. But I played the first mission on hard and got a 6-tube missile launcher and a mortar. You just start leveling the poo poo out of everything. Building collapse, bug parts fly everywhere, and everything dies. This game is amazing. gently caress reviews. Anyone who says this game sucks hates fun.

I also love that the game (at least mine) does not come with an instruction manual, nor a tutorial. All you need to do is figure out what button shoots bugs good and you're set to go.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

This game needs to have my favorite line from Starship Troopers in it. The one where the guy is mortally wounded, but he takes the nuke from Rico.

"Just trying to kill some bugs, sir!"

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

MrDorf posted:

Should I just assume that EDF is dead on Xbox moving forward now or is there a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere that I missed?

It might be a safe assumption, considering Japanese attitudes towards non-Playstation consoles and Microsoft's attitudes towards the Japanese market.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/microsoft-tgs-2015/

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Any word on if the Air Raider still has access to Waifu Balloons?

For reference:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Section Z posted:

I keep trying to use the Particle cannons, but I just can't handle the fact they match your movement direction so I'm always firing them off at 45 degree angles away from my target or, occasionally, loving BACKWARDS which I have no idea if it's even supposed to do in the first place

Rule 1 of EDF: The bugs are features and the features are bugs.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

While the EDF song is indeed glorious, it may not be as funny as the non-sequiturs that occur when the soldiers around you make small talk.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Why did you get married?

There's no reason.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Best Fencer is weapon is fist-on-a-piston and no one can deny this fact.

I call him Fisto Roboto!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Wow, Giant Robots is a very sudden difficulty spike, particularly online.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Light Gun Man posted:

Dragons Did 9/11

Thunder Bows can't melt steel beams.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I got Iron Rain on PSN sale last week. I haven't progressed that far, but I do have some overall thought:

The Good:
  • Jet Lifter feels really good. It's nice to not have to worry about balancing weapon usage with jetpack usage.
  • It's going to be really hard to go back to collecting armor boxes after being able to buy HP increases (that are universal across classes!).
  • Weapon drops are 'automatic' in that they're linked to progression (although you can break the curve a bit if you are obsessive about collecting all of the MIA drones).
  • Buildings collapse and break real good, even if using non-explosive weapons.
  • The Prowl Rider.
  • No more weird gender-specific classes! Women can wear giant armored suits and Spiderman throughout the city just as well as men can, so now they're able to!
  • Speaking of gender, a big toning down of the weird, impractical outfits (at least at the outset) for women. My wife and I gave each other the 'really?' look when we saw what passed for lower-body armor for the EDF 5 Wing Diver (although if that is your thing, you can still eventually acquire a short skirt for female characters and there are boob physics).
  • Customizing your character beyond colors! This is actually super cool and good, and I wish the mainline EDF games will take note of this and allow us more customization beyond picking a color scheme that makes other players' eyeballs bleed.
  • Turning mines/turrets/hand grenades into cross-class deployables. I always felt like taking one along as a weapon in an EDF game was a real gamble and didn't feel nearly as fun as bringing a fully-fledged weapon as they are more supporting weapons than anything.
  • Controlling vehicles. I need to play around with the helicopter equivalents, but it's nice to feel like I am not riding the edge of dying due to a control/physics error every time I get behind the wheel of a vehicle (although I would love it if there was a motorcycle in the game that feels like the typical EDF motorcycle in that it is barely usable, but capable of getting the game to do all of its weird physics jank).
  • The new weapon attributes are cool - I like how explicit they are that certain weapons do certain things and that there are actual status effects beyond death (like being on fire and being shocked by an electrical weapon). Some long-reload weapons get a quick-reload option (which is a cool bonus), some weapons get bonuses for holding down the trigger for a long period of time (it is always cool to get bonuses for something you want to do), and some weapons can even change type (e.g., rocket launcher, shotgun) depending on how you charge it. I can see this becoming very bad very fast, though, if they indulge in this too much.
  • SWORDS. Swords never felt right in mainline EDF games (they were exclusive to the Fencer, they felt slow, and they were often too weak to compete with other weapons at the same level). They feel appropriately anime in Iron Rain.

The Not-so-good:
  • The Ranger analogue (the first class you play as) is just straight up bad compared to the mainline Ranger. You have a short range dodge that doesn't carry your momentum forward that you can only use a limited number of times in succession? Whereas playing Jet Lifter felt a bit liberating compared to the Wing Diver, playing as the nu-Ranger feels so much worse than the standard EDF Ranger (despite nu-Ranger wearing an exoskeleton).
  • Weapons feel... weird. They don't feel like they have the same punch or carry the same visceral impact that weapons in standard EDF games do. Landing a big shot with an explosive weapon in EDF is rewarding because of the big explosion and the other big explosions of blood, bug parts, and physics that result. Iron Rain weapons just have a big explosion and it's hard to tell just how many you actually killed because the secondary explosions just aren't there/aren't as big.
  • The fact that weapons are uniform no matter what exoskeleton/frame/class you use does kill some of the lovably weird uniqueness that classes in standard EDF games have. Because the Fencer is more or less a mech suit, you can give them weapons that are highly impractical like the big gently caress-off cannons that would be far-fetched for a man wearing a simple armored vest to wield.
  • All. The. Staggering. Practically any enemy hit is going to make you stagger, which has a lot of really bad effects. One, it disrupts that flow of carnage (which is something the mainline EDF games do really well). Two, it sets you up to getting chain-staggered/stunlocked (which can kill you really fast). Three, it interrupts anything you're doing, from using items to receiving the 'keep holding the trigger' effects that a lot of weapons have in this game. All in all, it just feels very anti-fun.
  • The overall tone and feel of the game doesn't have the same level of camp that really helps define EDF. It's definitely much better put together than a regular EDF game, but part of the charm of EDF is how all of the different unintended consequences of its systems somehow work together to create this lovable jankiness that's topped by a story that never takes itself seriously. Case in point - the random mooks that accompany you in missions. In a standard EDF game, maybe one of them has a personality with a unique voice, while the rest of them are just NPCs that will call out random lines and respond to those call outs randomly (with some of them taking cues from the player and singing the EDF song when prompted). In Iron Rain, they try to give a ton of them different voices and personalities, but because there are so many you wind up caring about precisely none of them.
  • Enemies that hard counter specific weapon damage types. In a game with limited loadouts, it is extremely bad design to punish specific weapon types without clearly signaling that these hard counters are going to be present. Say I love the laser/energy weapons - the first time I encounter silver ants, I have no idea that they're hard counters to these weapons. But then I try to shoot them and the NPCs are like 'oh yeah, these guys deflect energy weapons'. Now I'm screwed (I can't do enough damage to them) and I'm being punished for using weapons that I like. It's not very fun.

The Mixed:
  • Vehicle support: It's cool that everyone can take them along and they feel suitably powerful, but the sheer cost of deploying them (and the fact that you only get one) makes them feel like they are things you shouldn't use unless it's an emergency (and when it is an emergency, you'll probably be dead by the time the vehicle actually gets there).
  • The MIA drones. It's cool that these are here and there are unlocks associated with them, but locating them in the huge levels is a really dumb scavenger hunt (especially because some of them are located in tents where you can't actually see them - you only know if they're there if you get the prompt to pick them up).

Overall, I think the general consensus is spot on - Iron Rain is a decent game and it is an EDF game, albeit slightly different. I'm not sure what about it is inherently more appealing about it to Western audiences other than 'good game design in terms of increasing your HP pool/eliminating randomization in weapon acquisition and player customization', but there's a lot here that a potential EDF 6 could take and run with to make the best EDF game ever.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 3, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So I did finally beat Iron Rain on Normal and yeah I definitely have some new takeaways:
  • They somehow made aerial vehicles control worse than in EDF 4/5. I didn't think this was possible.
  • The cost of new weapons is OK for low E/D rank weapons, but the bullshit costs really ramp up once you hit C rank and above.
  • I do like that you have a limited number of respawns in MP games that are not reliant on a player coming to revive your butt. This is really great, as the last player standing is often getting mobbed and has a difficult time trying to make it to players' bodies to resurrect them. On top of that, they really did a good job encouraging players to resurrect each other by having player rezzes not deduct from the number of 'free' respawns and making the resurrection items really cheap to buy/use/insert into your item loadout. Plus, it will no longer cost you your own health to resurrect players.
  • I love the Heavy Striker's shield ability. It can block a surprising number of things (including some physical ram attacks) and the duration the shield lasts isn't affected by anything like number of hits blocked/damage prevented - just time.
  • Stunlocking is a real thing enemies do to you at higher difficulty levels, and it's a dumb way to make things more difficult especially because basic ants can make you ragdoll/stunlock you - in other words, pretty much everything in the game can toss your around like a ragdoll, which is just bad design. Overdrive is your best way of breaking out of a stunlocking situation, but you typically can only do it once per mission so you better kill everything that can stunlock you and hope the mission doesn't throw another wave of enemies that can do it once you're done.
  • If you beat the game on Normal, you're actually very well-tuned to go through from the beginning at the Hardest difficulty level, so do that instead of rolling through on Hard because you'll unlock everything for both Hardest and Hard at the same time.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 8, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh man, that mission with the HUMANOID ALIENS in the city was loving amazing. So fun. These HUMANOID ALIENS are really enjoyable to fight.

And they look just like humans!

Two legs, two arms, two eyes... They look just like us.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Snake Maze posted:

2) Playing online with 1 player gives you the same enemy scaling as with 4 players. Why? Uh, I don't know, extra challenge mode?

Probably to encourage you to wait for people to join and then play instead of trying to play while you wait.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Filthy Monkey posted:

I tried out fencer a bit. Chaining dashes and jumps definitely makes for some speedy and fun movement. The actual killing felt like it wasn't as strong as just ranger shotgunning though.

Play a cave level that's just all tunnels (I think there's one in the 40s) as Fencer with a pair of Canister Cannons (In particular, the upper-level 10s NC25). They are terrifyingly killy to the point where it feels like a goddamn warcrime. You don't need to see anything to kill it - just fire down a tunnel and the piercing/ricochet rounds will do the rest.

That's what really turned me on to Fencer. That and taking dual sniper cannons/heavy mortars to levels with pylons. You can just stand at the starting point (especially with heavy mortars) and destroy all of the pylons with relative impunity very quickly. Hell, that strategy is probably the reason why they start giving them shields at later levels (then you just switch to your zoomy melee loadout and destroy the shields while they futilely try to run away from you).

Overall, all classes are good, but as other posters have highlighted - Rangers are just boringly effective. I tend to have more fun playing as Air Raider/Wing Diver/Fencer because those classes' unique attributes/weapons just feel really good and fun, but if I'm trying a level for the first time and I'm not sure what loadout is going to do the trick I'll use the Ranger. Odds are, whatever it is will probably die pretty quickly to a barrage of assault rifle fire, and they do tend to have the most effective sniper weapons in the game (they may not hit as hard or pierce like Fencer cannons will, but they do have impressive muzzle velocity and zero recoil which makes for a more consistent sniping experience against a lot of airborne targets).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 21, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ninjewtsu posted:

Do what ^^^that guy^^^ said. Jackhammer rules (only problem is you don't get to slide into it at the end of a dash like with the spears, which is a bit of a boner killer tbh)

But then jackhammer is not a boner killer when you realize that you can dash around a corner and punch a giant alien in the dick six times a second with it and make them explode.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd give air raiders a really good weapon type that only works underground. depth crawlers are merely okay.

Give the sub-projectiles in Limpet Splendors higher bullet speed, piercing, and a little more damage. Boom - you're done.

Note: They didn't do that in EDF 5, but the Air Raider in EDF 2 for the Vita's Limpet Splendors/Detectors are really, really good for those reasons.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

It's a shame that you have to wait until the 90s to get some of the missions where an Air Raider blazes even more brightly than normal. Anything with a ton of Aranea webs is undone practically instantly by bombing runs/Spritefall (that laser is not going to let stupid little webs prevent it from unleashing god-killing firepower on the ground below), and there's nothing quite like leveling the city to deprive the cosmonauts of armor/cover during that massive urban assault.

That mission where you have to kill the nest is still a bitch on Hard if you're gradually working your way up to it, though. It's definitely a massive difficulty spike out of nowhere.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The reason to ride Grape is to :rice: and collect items while you Toyko Drift across wide open field maps, preferably while everything is trying to kill you and not your allies (and not because you care about your allies, but because drifting between massive volleys of fire from both sides looks cool).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

In return for crappy shotguns, the giant piercing cannons make you feel like a god as you dual-wield them and chew through entire formations on the other side of the map.