Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Rodyle posted:

Cornelia is the raddest racist who forgets about her racism around next to Jeremiah.

e: Realtalk though of the supposed "main characters" of R2 the worst is actually Gino, as much as I hate Suzaku.

Finally I find somebody who agrees.
Gino literally did nothing worthwhile.

Same could be said for like 10 of the Knights of the Round members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I honestly forgot his voice.

R2 was just a mess, the pacing was awful, best girl got pushed to the sidelines, and China remains the worst arc of the series.

Xingke is only as relevant as the China arc is and the second that's over (not a moment too soon) he gets stuck in a storage closet along with the other scene dressing until he's needed to say something.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 12, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Aces High posted:

Also my memory isn't really doing much, who the gently caress was Gino again? Was he the douche knight with the braided hair?

Yes, one who favors himself a Ladies man I believe.

The character type's been done way better in the past.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Milly was dope, don't be hatin' on her.

Nina really improved a lot once R2 came about, I mean she did some bad poo poo like designing the Nuke but honestly she ended up on Lelouch's side in the end and anybody on his side was a winner, which includes Kallen since she was super begrudging about fighting him because of her affections and whatnot.

I mean look who wasn't on Lelouch's side. Ohgi, Viletta, Gino, a whole circus troupe of bad characters. Toudou was really the only exception there.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Most of my hate for China comes from the contrived "Kallen runs out of power so Shen Hu wins" thing. Its also a pretty big waste of that Guren design, as it's revealed in Episode 6 but gets carried off in episode 10 to sit in a hangar for 8 episodes. It gets some cool upgrades but it just felt sloppy.

The manga where they didn't have knightmare frames just sort of skims over china and is better for it (though its mediocre nonetheless).

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

R2 Villeta is such a poor character with incomprehensible motivations that idkwtf.

Also don't forget the character that asks Zero to be put into a position where he could embezzle money. Revolutionaries tend to make poor administrators.

R2 Viletta is a bad character in a season that introduced a lot of bad characters, it just so happens she was dragged out of the previous season instead.

I'd like to know what the deal was with the group Lelouch brought in to attack the Geass researchers, who all somehow fell under the idea that they were killing innocents for some inane reason. They were all terrible even if they were one-note characters.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

chumbler posted:

Nothing of value would be lost if they dropped the China arc and the part where Karen is in jail (except the part where she beats the poo poo out of Suzaku).

Manga handled that mess so much better. No Knightmare frames but they pretty much go into china and immediately leave it. It means we get some funny moments between Kallen and Amnesiac!C.C. too so its a win/win.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

They re-released Haruhi in a fancy box for like $115, with a plain box for like $50. I'd expect Geass to go for more, but Funi usually keeps their prices low.

Edit: oh poo poo, it's pretty much the same.

Considering its 50 episodes its more justified than Haruhi's (though that's two complete series)

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Enlightening.

Well with the release of the US Blu-Rays on the horizon, have we still not heard anything about how Akito is going to be released in the US? I mean at this point that's really all that's left considering there's really nobody around to touch the manga series that haven't been localized.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Aces High posted:

the only parts I remembered not liking in R2 was during the China arc but I think that was more the conclusion of it because China is where we got Lelouch freaking the gently caress out when his brother "cheated" at chess

China was just bad. It and kallen being taken hostage for 8 episodes (almost literally after the Guren got upgraded! And then the final upgrade barely appeared too.) just felt like unnecessary padding and an incredibly cheap way to 'weaken' the black knights (C.C. losing the fun part of her personality with a memory wipe was also kinda not great, even if it lent itself to minor comedy in the Manga version.)

I dunno, R2 was a fun mess the first time through but the second time was just frustrating to watch after truly realizing how great Season 1 was in comparison. That timeslot change not just screwed up the pacing but the content itself felt dumber. I kinda wish we had gotten the original plan for the series, where they asked for 50 episodes outright.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Can you see if the R2 picture dramas were included or if they were left out?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

All of them are there? Kinda wish they'd have dispersed them throughout the discs to fit around the episodes they took place after but that'd require funimation to master their discs with a scrap of common sense.

Those baba flash theater things were on the US R2 DVDs, but they didn't put the Picture Drama's in, so I imagine they're all Subbed only.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Yeah it looks like they're only subbed.

Would be rather difficult to gather the dub cast back for special features most people won't bother with. Just a shame cuz the S1 dramas were dubbed. Really it's Bandai's fault.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

of course watch this be the middle finger of the same monkey's paw that gave us Berserk 2016 and Sailor Moon Crystal

... and watch me ignore the warnings and use the thumb and pinky for The Big O season 3 and a Battle Angel Alita adaptation

Pretty sure those were used for FLCL 2 & 3 and Panty and Stocking 2.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Where's the one for Haruhi on the 18th?

I'm lost, is there a new Haruhi season coming as well?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Honestly R2 is to the original 25 episodes as Dragonball GT is to DB/DBZ, a series that tries to change too much and do too much, takes away beloved characters for large portions of time and has good ideas executed terribly. Near the end it manages to pick up the scraps and tape them together for a *mostly* satisfying ending. Though it'd have been more satisfying if Viletta and Ohgi got killed off right near the tail end as a right "gently caress you" instead of letting them get off scot-free for their actions.

chumbler posted:

Second worst. Karen being in jail for half the season is the worst offense.

Why even have the Energy Filler concept if its only going to be used as a plot device to conveniently shut down a Mech. As much as I like the Guren Seiten there could've been a better way to go about that plot thread, maybe have it so Shen Hu didn't have the cockpit wrapped up or something so she could have ejected, and then have the Guren alone be taken, made into some strange hybrid of Britannian and Japanese design philosophies. Nothing really came out of her being in jail save for her laying the beatdown on Suzaku.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

darealkooky posted:

What's wrong with kallen being kidnapped? It put her character in a new situation instead of just endless "she's really mad and melts people with her robot arm/she's really awkward around lelouch" scenes like in s1

don't get me wrong melting people is rad as hell but her interactions with nunnally and suzaku (especially when she beats the hell outta him) and lelouch freaking out over getting her back are all scenes that are cool & wouldn't happen without this.

it's not like she doesn't eventually go back to melting stuff and being even radder

It could've been 5-6 episodes shorter. 8 episodes a total badass character is stuck sitting in jail is uncool. Rescue Arcs or having a character who's essentially considered a main reduced to essentially an extra hurts for people who enjoy those characters in favor of... Gino. :geno:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

I think Code Geass R1 is good and R2 is not good but is a wild ride that sometimes peaks higher than R1 and is a lot of fun. My main problem with season 2 is that a lot of the cool and smart plans and tactics and tricks in season 1 go completely out the window in favour of "a wizard did it" and having a robot that is basically just Goku. Admittedly that is a cool and smart plan, but not really of the same quality. Sidelining Kallen for so long is also a crime.

I watched it once it was all over and done and wondered what the complaints about the China part's length were too, but I remember people complaining that Simon being miserable in Gurren Lagann dragged on forever when it aired and I think that lasts two and a half episodes as well so I guess watching things week to week makes it seem that much longer.

Honestly I never had issues with China's length back when I first watched the second season but then again I had been following the English Dub on [as] up until Season 1 Episode 20 when they shoved it to 5AM and started watching the Japanese version from that point up until the very end of R2 (Which I caught like right when it ended) so I was able to steamroll my way through instead of waiting week to week, it wasn't until I rewatched those episodes (S1E20 Thru all of R2) that I felt how much of a slog China, the Geass Cult were (Didn't help that 10 episodes to the end they decided to start R2 from the beginning and show two episodes a night) especially with the double whammy of Kallen being shooed into a Jail cell and C.C. going amnesiac, essentially shoving two main characters out of the picture in favor of.... Gino, Anya, that dude who thought murdering a bunch of evil cultists was a massacre, and Ohgi's stupid bullshit.

And for those who say how Gino's Japanese voice sucks, his English voice isn't much better. At the very least from what I read of Renya his identical ancestor isn't as much of a toolbag.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Lelouch is supposed to be with C.C. guys.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Indeed, but its a bit distressing that we haven't seen any news at all since that PV.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So Akito finally came out in the US.... hoo boy those accents aren't good.

I really wish there was a stereo mix, the voices are too quiet but the explosions are too loud.

Also what the hell is with their pronunciation of Britannia? Its Bri-TAN-nia, not Bri-TAY-nia.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I wouldn't say obscure, just images from the very beginning before we even see Lelouch or Suzaku on screen.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I was under the impression they were going to reanimate.

I somehow doubt they'll fit all of R2 into a single film, I really do hope they trim the fat off of it.

At the very least I hope there's quick turnaround for the English versions. I doubt they'll actually get these out when they say they will but we'll see.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Speaking of the Manga.... where the hell can I read it? Obviously the only two that are actually related to canon are the ones that never got officially released thanks to Bandai imploding.

Hell now that the rest is out of print I never did get to finish reading Nightmare of Nunally. :(

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I'm curious as to what gives us that Kallen in a Chinese Dress. :syoon:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

http://twitter.com/GEASSPROJECT/status/938022737993273344

Looks like we have visuals for the second film and.... oh dear its Weinberg. :geno:

I really hope this doesn't mean we're literally getting a nasty chunk of R2's badness. But no PVs means nobody can really be sure, though there are quite a lot of R2 elements mixed in here.

And naturally without any hint of when a US release might be happening for any of the films and not knowing where the first one stops doesn't help either. I thought there was supposed to be an announcement about this already.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I guess, though other than Anya what roles lol.

Rolo and the Shinkirou being there though seems to imply a healthy chunk of the movie will be post-black rebellion (Which also means we're not going to get anything similar to the original R2 plan most likely.)

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

These seem like they have enough changes to be worth price of admission like the two Gurren Lagann movies.

Probably wont have the really desired changes but its better than just puking up Black Rebellion and Zero Requiem again for theaters.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mao being non-existent so far leads me to believe that the first movie wraps up either right before Shirley finds out Lelouch is Zero or after Narita. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing more of Suzaku's perspective since we're probably gonna end up with a bunch of the un-important episodes snipped out (Kyushu, a massive chunk of the pre-china R2, most of china, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to the third movie in particular. The very last chunk of R2 vindicates a lot of the early screwups by throwing everything at the wall and going back to insane bullshit that looks cool.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rodyle posted:

R2's fat early on being the problem has always struck me as an odd angle of attack since the lovely parts of R2 are all at the end

Kyushu is one of my favorite parts of late S1!

I also like Kyushu but if they're trimming the fat its easily one of the first things to go, since it has almost no bearing on the plot other than spurring Suzaku and Euphy's official relationship.

I honestly think the last five episodes of R2 make up for the previous 15's blunders, if only because of how much it goes against the character alignments of the rest of the series.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 8, 2017

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyHOQDs-8rM

Looks like a new trailer and other than the single shot of Anya (No Gino at all lol) its all Episode 17-25 portions with absolutely nothing new.

Guys come on give us something.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Well part of the reasoning is Ohgi clearly consorting with a britannian who was out to kill him at multiple points. He's up and ready to betray Lelouch to get his dick wet. Since clearly Viletta is supposed to be "sympathetic" or some other crap despite being vile the entire series.

But yeah its telling that Super Robot Wars gives a goddamn fix that's plausible even if it does include characters from Gundam Wing and such in the discussions telling Schneizel he's full of it and to gently caress off.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Nothing in regards to an english dub yet either? The second movie's already out in Japan from my knowledge and the first has hit Blu-ray.

Wish I knew what they changed in the second movie, it doesn't seem like it spread too far into season 2 content if at all but that prominence of Weino and friends on the poster begs to differ but i've heard nothing since it came out.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

wielder posted:

Not that I know of. It would be interesting to see how much of the English dub cast could be brought back by Funimation.

Speaking about the second movie...Japanese reports say it covered most of R2 (until ep 16 or so) by outright skipping a lot of the early stuff while giving Suzaku and the Britannians a bunch of new scenes instead. It seems that feels a bit rushed, but should give the third film a lot more breathing room.

Well they got back 3 of the main 4 for Akito cameos so unless they royally gently caress up we can assume they'll try to get them all back if possible.

So it jumps from 18 of S1 to 16 or so of R2? Holy shitbuckets that's quite the pass through. Though that makes me think they specifically left all that bullshit China runoff in just to screw Kallen out of enough footage where they can claim she's not a main character anymore. I get trimming the early fat of R2 since that part's literally just "We gotta get new guys up to speed on this!" But I wish they'd have decided to change the timeline and go off the original Stage 26 plan they had before the meddling happened.

I'm not sure if I want to watch a movie where they give any more screentime to :geno:.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Having seen the first movie and knowing some spoilers it does actually make a notable difference in w couple ways. Shirley is alive, for one.

Thats amazing, but Gino and Viletta still dont get axed do they?

still, glad Shirley actually survives to the end, her dad still died though didnt he?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I guess I was more hoping they get killed but at least viletta is handled a lot better in general.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

They kept china's stupid bullshit in?

That was like the big area to fix in R2. But then again after season 1 it seems like they hardcore tried to push Kallen out of the picture as much as possible, did they not like her for merchandising or did they think that more than three main characters was too many?

chumbler posted:

Viletta spends most of the series as basically a victim, so it's kind of messed up to want her killed.

Yeah nah, she hosed shirley over hardcore and essentially was the catalyst for her getting killed so its fair, gently caress her. That's why i'm at least happy they made her less of a bitch by not having her try to hurt a high school girl just so she could get up a few ranks in society.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I get the vibe a movie will simply be too short to really satisfy.

Like, I guarantee Lelouch won't come back until near the end or something and we'll have an hour or so of exposition, and then it'll be over before it even really gets started, or it'll be a drat trilogy/quadrilogy.

And that's not even getting started on how poorly films are handled in terms of getting them stateside. At least with TV series we get them somewhat quickly after they air but films mean we have to wait for Home video just to even get a drat fansub.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 11, 2018

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Tae posted:

Considering that there's plenty of Movie franchises that take a long time to release (Fate, Digimon, evangelion, Persona) I don't see why it can't stay as a movie format.

Again, movies take way too loving long between Japanese domestic and US release. Its not a big issue if its subtitled but if something's going to get a dub (Like Code Geass) it just languishes without any solid word for ages. I don't know how Japan could make films a little less painful to wait for, outside of them figuring out some sort of simuldub situation, but then there's the whole issue of theaters in the US simply not liking anime movies and half the country still misses the chance to see it until a year or two later.

Also Eva 3.33's release was the most bungled loving thing in recent history and that's partially why this whole situation is a bit worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Guess that's confirmation of "one film that ends the series" right there.

Not sure how I feel about that, but at least we now know that Suzaku is piloting the Purple Shinkiro, and gets absolutely hosed because he can't keyboard wizard to victory.