Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
i don't defend mass murder, i call it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

i wouldn't mind a Che-style Louis Riel shirt to gently caress with the two canadians who'd get the reference

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

what about the first peoples...of the smartphone industry

they subcontracted that out to the cartel of Rogers, Bell, and Telus.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

you mean "again" right

they bought 90 million worth of shares in november

What's it worth now? :haw:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

a nice tax loss harvest

e: (depending on when they bought it I think 65-80M)

Roughly speaking, September 30th.

http://n4bb.com/ontario-teachers-pension-plan-buys-7-8-million-blackberry-shares/

quote:

BlackBerry’s turnaround efforts appear to be gaining a signal of confidence from the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan. The retirement fund purchased almost 7.8 million shares of BlackBerry Ltd. in the third quarter.

The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan is now a top 10 holder 8.23 million shares as of Sept. 30. From yesterday’s closing stock price, their 1.6 per cent stake is valued at about $84.5 million USD.

BlackBerry’s CEO, John Chen, has diligently worked to build a rescue plan for the company. Over the past year under Chen’s watch, BlackBerry has outsourced manufacturing, sold real estate and focused on core business customers as he aims to start making a profit by FY2016.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ahmeni posted:

this is what people in Toronto think and it's why even for Canadians they're insufferable

what people who've never been in Toronto say. it's the only decent city in the country.

(i wish I lived there)

gently caress their sports teams though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

but not August, if Toronto

fall and spring are the best seasons east of the Rockies and west of NB

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Boxturret posted:

nice racism

it's true in Ontario. the half-educated shitkickers in the sticks (i.e. anywhere further than the urban center of a city where non-white minorities and poors are) are just as racist as you'll find anywhere in the northern midwest US

the only difference is that Scott Walker didn't win more than two terms here (gently caress you Harris)

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 15, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

qirex posted:

there's a new* blackberry!

http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/blackberry-leap.html

Best-in-class BlackBerry keyboard

industry recognized BlackBerry® 10 browser

:eyepop:

BlackBerry Leap: The Great Leap Forward. :china:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

the joke they'd always tell is: how do you know when you've left toronto? tie a [literally any person of color] to your front hood and stop when people say "what's that"

jfc I've actually heard that one, too. :cripes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

BlackBerry has more than 70 security approvals and certificates – more than any other mobile solution.

Wow, 70 is like, a lot right?

what, like in a row?

it's just how many times i have to pull my battery and input my password until it works, isn't it :downsrim:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

is blackberry Huawei's picture of Dorian Grey, since Huawei went from android rimpho knockoff company to east asian mobile powerhouse?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Management posted:

huawei is literally run by the Chinese military with the goal of replacing western telecom equipment filled with western espionage backdoors with Chinese made equipment with home grown backdoors, and not just in the domestic market.
BlackBerry was actually built to be secure and later compromised when smacked in the face with the realty of governments. remember when the pushed literal spyware to everyone's phone in some Arabian country (Bahrain?)

i don't remember that, but i do remember the news bit of India telling rim straight up- if they want to do business in their country, they'd damned well better give them access to all data traffic for phones within their borders

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

rim put some servers in Saudi and under Saudi security's jurisdiction to get a ban on blackberry lifted

maybe that's what I was thinking of. it's been forever since I read it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

how is that book going to make any sales when it's giving away the best part for free

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Motorola still can sell more than 8000 phones in a year.

:boom:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:q:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/06/09/blackberry-oslo-specs-photos-leak-rumors/

quote:

BlackBerry “Oslo” revealed in new photos
BY JACOB KLEINMAN | JUNE 9, 2015

Ready for a new BlackBerry phone? The Canadian company has served up some interesting devices in the past year, and it looks like another new QWERTY handset could be just around the corner.

The BlackBerry “Oslo” was revealed with a series of leaked photos on Tuesday courtesy of N4BB. This is the first time we’re getting a look at the actual device, though we saw a few renders back in April. Overall the Oslo looks like a simplified version of last year’s Passport with a beveled rubber back and a redesigned camera.

On the spec side of things, the BlackBerry Oslo will reportedly pack a Snapdragon 800 processor, a 13-megapixel rear camera, 3GB of RAM and a 3450mAh battery. Like the Passport, the new phone features a square display, though there’s no word on its exact size of resolution. It also looks like the Oslo might pack a fingerprint reader on the back, but we’re not certain that’s what we’re looking at in the image above.

N4BB notes that the Oslo might not get a global release. Instead it could be a Chinese version of the BlackBerry Passport. In that case the phone may not merit a huge public announcement, though we’ll still be on the lookout for any more news for the upcoming QWERTY device.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

quote:

On the spec side of things, the BlackBerry Oslo will reportedly pack a Snapdragon 800 processor

congratulations on catching up to the G2, a two year old device.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Kins posted:

reuters is reporting that blackberry is rumored to be considering throwing its metaphorical hands up, going "gently caress it" and just flat-out releasing an android

"We don't comment on rumors and speculation, but we remain committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched," said the company in an email.

nobody cares about security and productivity in the real world; people want videos, music streaming, big fuckoff screens, and lovely f2p games. this is why you're within the margin of error for market share

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ahmeni posted:

at its peak in 2009 blackberry had a market share of 20% compared to nokias 40%

please don't skew the facts with common plebs please. enterprise and government share only.

bbry provides world-leading best-in-class tools, not toys for productivity and security-minded individuals in corporate, government, and small business.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I haven't read that since he posted it.

the last article I ever read of his was either that jerky & tobasco "breakfast cereal" or the Quantum of Solace review.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

playbook was also a poo poo name for something that they then turned around and tried to pitch as being for serious work

no u see a :airquote: "Playbook" is a book of attack and defense strategies used by coaches in America™'s :patriot: most serious business of professional sports that is football :911: where you have to give 110% cause This Ain't No Game™ and professional American businessmen are going to flock to it as they see themselves as the playmakers leading their teams to success in the Free Market™ with Tools Not Toys™

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

1024x600 for $500 in tyool 2011 :laffo:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

couldn't use email without a rim phone :hurr:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

the same one they stuck in their Z10 & Q10 two and a half years later

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

i am quite sure that the absolutely miniscule amount of original iphones sold would not overload the network.

but the 2011 ipad (ipad 2) also had 1024x768?? there wasn't a ~retina~ ipad til 2012

1024x600 on a much smaller screen (7 inch vs 9.7 inch) was one of the few things the playbook was not hosed up in.

$500 for a smaller screen, shittier spec, and a joke of an OS

it's not like it was a Sarnsung and could cash in on its rep

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

With the new bb desktop manager software, it gives you two choices if you're having technical difficulties connecting with a bb device; "reload" or "reconnect". what's not clear is that "reload" completely wipes the device. if you click "reload" you just get a pop up saying "this will reload the device, click OK to continue" or something like that. I wonder how many accidental wipes this has caused

read that as "Desktop Commander" :laugh:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

what are you so confused about? the only people who unironically like balackberry hardware and would buy it also like sliders.

"just wait til the White Castle Edition you guys! the entire company will turn right around when greasy fingered fucks learn how much easier it is to text with physical buttons!" :v:

as opposed to, you know... wiping your fingers with a loving napkin.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Kins posted:

@evleaks has snuck out some pictures of "venice", blackberry's android phone

:heysexy: "We heard those Samsung Edge phones are really popular, what if we gave our phone, wait for it... two edges?"

:byodood: "BUY MORE BBRY STOCK RIGHT NOW! WE'RE COMING BACK BABY!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Waterloo must be the saddest of sad sack towns right now

Their downtown area is the definition of "urban decay" (in Canadian terms. Still better than Detroit).

The Management posted:

is that a factory, like in a third world nation?

Did you ever read the Detroit = Beirut thread? Yeah, K/W's cores are hosed, but their suburbs are still going fine. They'll come back, eventually.

I still find it weird that London's downtown is so much better off, given all the local auto manufacturing that's closed in the last 7 years.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

wyoak posted:

Blackberry Pearls were huge in the consumer space for a year or two between dumbphones fading out and the rise of iPhone/Android, and they were a shitload of people's first smartphones. They were pretty crap but so was everything else in the space then.

The Dodge Neon/Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier of phones. After putting up with one of those as a first phone, you move to Apple/Android (Honda/VW, respectively), and never look back.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Lazaridis just not comprehending why people weren't giving a gently caress about how economic BBs were with data is just loving lol

to be fair, contemporaries like Greenspan honestly thought that the free market would self-regulate out of care for shareholder value :jerkbag:, when all the workers ever cared about were their own bonuses.
their premise was wrong from the start and doomed to failure. people want entertainment during their soul crushing poo poo hole of a job/commute, and given the opportunity to consume it, will

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

it's telling, that even now in their death throes, bbry still positions every ounce of their marketing to corporate office culture as if it were a good thing, and not shown for the life stealer it was back in '08.

like those MS pics that tout work at all hours and at home or during sleep time as an ideal.

"PRODUCTIVITY! Produce! Produce until you loving die from heart failure or an economic downturn you loving tools!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

depends on = "required to use"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

new Blackberry is out! :toot:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

in olden times this triggered the death pool

they got rid of their name (RIM), and they've stopped making BBRY OS devices, can anyone really say they still exist?

there's literally hundreds of poo poo android peddlers with sub 1% of the market already.

aside from abject failure and a single trademark and logo, what about old BBRY still exists?

do gsm BBRYs (the grand prize) still exist? :xd:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 3, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

I met a traveller from an Canadian land,
Who said—“Two vast and useless buildings
Stand in Waterloo. . . . Near them, on the green,
Half sunk a shattered smartphone lies, whose screen,
And hardware keyboard, and sneer of cold hubris,
Tell that its CEO well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the bezel, these words appear:
My name is Blackberry, King of Phones;
Look on my Security, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of those colossal Wrecks, boundless and bare
The lone and level wastelands stretch far away.”

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

wow, Jeff Gerstmann's lost a lot of weight :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Ahh yes. The new F1R3 from Blackberry

:golfclap:

• Locked thread