Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

dev286 posted:

Guess where BB outsells iPhone?

I am embarrassed for my city.
banks. some smaller places have byod policies but the big banks still hand out blackberrys to everyone. plus with byod you need to submit expenses at the end of the month. having a device from your employer means that they handle all the billing and you don't have to worry about submitting any expenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

yeah but how much of that was from selling off all their real estate?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

some online stores are listing the passport at $900 USD

http://www.confidencebusiness.com/store/

lol

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

ah, an industry that will see nothing but growth
too bad the growth is malignant

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

qirex posted:

holy poo poo he mad http://berryflow.com/2014/09/blackberry-passport-versus-media/
highlights include a million instances of "real work" and calling Joanna Stern a "soccer mom"
lol at the huge photo of himself 1/2 way through the article

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

blackberry put out a denial

"BlackBerry has not engaged in discussions with Samsung with respect to any possible offer to purchase BlackBerry."

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

i know a couple of people who got a passport through work. they returned them after a week or so because they said that they were too difficult to type on.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/03/blackberry-sales-nowhere-close-morgan/

quote:

BlackBerry Ltd Passport, Classic Sales Weak: Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley notes that sales of the BlackBerry Passport and Classic are far away from the company's target numbers and are not popular even among enterprise users

BlackBerry Ltd. managed to sell only 8,000 units of the Classic and Passport, which is nowhere “close” to what sales of the two handsets should be, stated Morgan Stanley in a report. The firm reiterated its $7 price target on the Canadian firm with an Underweight rating.

BlackBerry a hard sell to enterprise, individual customers
Both phones were launched last year through Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), and recently AT&T started selling them on its network. According to the research firm, a meager 8,000 units of the Classic and Passport were sold, which is far fewer than the 2 million to 3 million target that BlackBerry needs in the 2016 fiscal year. Not just to individual customers, but BlackBerry is also finding it challenging to sell its phones to enterprise customers, which have been a longtime fan of BlackBerry devices.

According to Morgan Stanley, the Canadian company will fall short of its $500 million software revenue target to compensate for the hardware business, and the company will not be able to “get anywhere close” to this target.

Focusing on security and services
Last year the Passport was seen as a promising device as the company garnered impressive initial sales numbers. The second batch also sold quickly. Toward the end of last year, the Canadian smartphone maker launched the Classic, and in North America, the preorder inventory was sold out in December. Amazon has been selling the unlocked version without a contract since the phones were launched.

The Waterloo, Ontario-based company is in its turnaround phase, and CEO John Chen has clearly outlined that his aim is to focus on software and services rather than hardware. Just last week, the company launched the BlackBerry SecuTablet, a high-security tablet for government and enterprise customers. BlackBerry designed the tablet, teaming up with Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (LON:BC94) (KRX:005930) and International Business Machines. Whether or not the BlackBerry SecuTablet will drive the stock ahead has yet to be seen.

On Monday, BlackBerry stock closed down 0.92% at $9.72, while year to date, shares of the Canadian firm are down almost 12%.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Probably nothing but the latest "reports" are that MS is "looking to bid" $7 billion for BB.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

i got invited to a discussion panel with the co-coes (lizardlips and ballsilly) as well as the authors of that book about how bb underestimated the iphone. free lunch and open bar so why not.

quote:

we are anticipating this to be a lively and spirited discussion

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

it was very boring. lazardis cancelled at the last minute because "it's still difficult to talk about" so it was just silly-balls

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

:laffo:

Balsillie gave a commencement address at a college I know, and was quite possibly high.
he still uses a playbook :shobon:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Management posted:

I just want to know if he understands what went wrong or if he still thinks consumers care about keyboards and data efficiency
it sounded like he was trying to shift the blame to other people. he talked about how AT&T and its exclusive with Apple for the iPhone was the beginning of the end. he mentioned how they tried to compete with the storm but failed spectacularly by just throwing features on a device without understanding why people liked the iPhone and ended up having a 100% return rate on it. he said those two things indicated to him that the market had changed and thy could no longer compete in the mainstream and high end market. he said he wanted to shift the company towards services more and low end phones for the developing world. the implication was that "other forces" won and voted down his ideas and eventually lead to his departure.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/17/2642492/blackberry-playbook-cargo-truck-stolen-indiana

quote:

$1.7 million in BlackBerry PlayBooks stolen from an Indiana truck stop

RIM can't catch a break. Last Thursday, a truck carrying 22 pallets of BlackBerry PlayBooks (estimated to have 5,000 units) was stolen from an Indiana truck stop while the driver was busy eating and taking a shower. With no tracking device on the vehicle, there's little word on the thieves or where they're headed, although a local police spokesman has named Miami as a popular destination for stolen goods. The police believe that up to five suspects may be involved, and say they might have fingerprints of one of them; they will also be seeking help from the FBI and Interstate Theft Task Force to recover the truck and its cargo.

This new loss — valued at $1.7 million — is the latest in a run of bad luck for RIM, which recently took a $485 million loss on its poorly-selling PlayBooks, has delayed its BlackBerry 10 phones until late 2012, and has seen its share prices drop 71 percent since the beginning of the year. Somewhat poignantly, the stolen tablets were even headed for Ontario, where we can only imagine they were going to be sold for one fourth of their original price to RIM employees.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

With the new bb desktop manager software, it gives you two choices if you're having technical difficulties connecting with a bb device; "reload" or "reconnect". what's not clear is that "reload" completely wipes the device. if you click "reload" you just get a pop up saying "this will reload the device, click OK to continue" or something like that. I wonder how many accidental wipes this has caused

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 30, 2015

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kenny Logins posted:

gruberpostin':

chen doing a bad job of showing off the priv

1) he insists it's priv = privacy. the reporter replies are you sure it isn't privilege? he squirms and says its both
2) "it runs google"
3) appears to have never used one before and the unit was not properly prepped to demo chrome
4) "it has the latest specs"
5) reporter: is this the phone that will bring back the users that abandoned bb for a different operating system?
"well, i think everyone loved bb10 but there's not enough apps. so if i could provide all the apps of bb10 that would be a smashing success"
"but this is the best that we could do"

it's like curb your enthusiasm level awkward

BlackBerry: this is the best that we could do

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ahmeni posted:

in canada they pulled the same poo poo with a rebranded vzw navigator but would get pissy if you used the telus host but the Verizon host worked fine
i had one of these on Telus. the. solution was that you had to download some navigation software from tomtom or something, run it, then uninstall it (you had to pay to actually use it). then the gps would work.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

official blackberry marketing

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 22, 2015

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol the blackberry network is down or something no one can send or receive messages

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

blackerry to focus on "mid-level" android devices"

quote:

BlackBerry kills BB10, will work on mid-range Android phones instead

BlackBerry's change of direction comes after enterprise customers — the only remaining significant pocket of loyalty for the company — complained that its first Android entry was too expensive, CEO John Chen said this week. Chen admitted that the release of the $700 Priv may have been a tactical error.

"The fact that we came out with a high end phone [as our first Android device] was probably not as wise as it should have been," Chen told Abu Dhabi paper The National.

"A lot of enterprise customers have said to us, 'I want to buy your phone but $700 is a little too steep for me. I'm more interested in a $400 device'," he added.

The growing duopoly between Android and iOS has squeezed BlackBerry's own in-house operating system out of the market. BlackBerry will continue to support BlackBerry 10 — once heralded as the company's future — for an unspecified period of time, but will not release new BB10-based devices.

Still, Chen believes his firm has a chance for differentiation based on BlackBerry's long history of strong security and integration in corporate environments.

"We're the only people who really secure Android, taking the security features of BlackBerry that everyone knows us for and make it more reachable for the market," he said.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tayter Swift posted:

does this count as killing their software then idk
i think so. they're no longer producing their own OS. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

and it was recovered a couple of weeks later so bb couldn't make an insurance claim

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

again, if you haven't read Losing the Signal, I highly suggest you do.
i went to a talk where Jim Sillyballs was a keynote presenter and all the attendees got free copies of Losing the Signal.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FMguru posted:

3) "lets do a clean from-scratch rewrite of our core software" is a decision that dooms companies (see also: netscape)
did it work for apple because they effectively bought the new OS along with next instead of writing it themselves?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

is windows rt windows?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

apparently losing saved chat history is a known issue when updating blackberry messenger. the blackberry support team will be happy notify you when and if a fix is issued.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Kins posted:

according to research firm Gartner, blackberry's share of the global smartphone market has fallen to a rounded-off 0.0% after shipping just 207,000 phones last quarter.

entirely coincidentally, blackberry is suing nokia over patent infringement claims, specifically seeking payment instead of blocking nokia's usage of the technologies.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

not sure that qualifying statement was needed tbh.

a coworker of mine uses a blackberry by choice, every email has "Sent from my BlackBerry - the world's most secure phone" or some similarly cringey as gently caress phrase. not a great idea to expose yourself as a blackberry user if you're meant to be selling people on new things.
I work with a guy who uses a blackberry and his email signature is "Sent from a BlackBerry 10 device! That's right a BlackBerry! Do you have a problem with that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FrozenVent posted:

wasted space
well we are talking about blackberry devices

• Locked thread