Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
call in the government rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
reminder that California has a 30% greater GDP than all of Canada (pre-oil crash).

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's almost like they're trying to fail without being too obvious about it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Tayter Swift posted:

in olden times this triggered the death pool

sounds good, let's call it. who had April 11, 2016?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Necc0 posted:

so did them going private via an external buyout not *technically* count since it wasn't a competitor?

they're not private, they're still a public company

current stock price: $7.12 USD
market cap: $3.75 billion

arguably they are indentured to their lenders, who appointed the CEO and basically have a lien on everything now.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bonzo posted:

Pack it up boys

reported

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
their traffic must be down considerably since those days. not much reason to keep a second data center open unless you care about service uptime, which they probably don't anymore

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what are you gonna buy, a phone with a filthy American operating system on it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I wish I knew; I'd unironically buy a phone with a hardware keyboard. I think the Droid 4 was the last one that had it? And that was like 4 years ago.

I don't care how old I sound, I type way better with physical keys. But obviously it's one of those things I just have to accept that there's no alternative options for me. Though in a sea of phones that all look the same, I'd think one would want to stick out and have one. They probably don't just because people will think you're using a Sidekick or some poo poo.

Physical button supremacy.

counterpoint: 🍺🍕👳🏾🍔🍟🌮

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
even working for the government is not a reason anymore, unless it's the government of Canada

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
blackberry got their reputation for security back when that meant that if the phone was stolen they could disable it and the thief wouldn't be able to read your email and messages. today security means a whole lot more. blackberries never evolved that ability particularly well and lol at securing android.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm sure android-rim requires a third mdm solution because why the hell not

didn't blackberry buy Good Technologies for this purpose?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

A note went out earlier this week informing Senate staffers that they would no longer be issued BlackBerry handsets, since BlackBerry no longer makes them. (Jim Swift, a D.C. blogger, first flagged the memo.)

And so ends that era for BlackBerry, which managed to hold government handset contracts, despite its sharp sinking popularity, thanks to being seen as the most secure device.

The Canadian company is probably okay with that. It’s trying desperately to convince investors that it can flourish as a software and services company. Its first quarter revenue for that segment, reported last week, rose 21 percent annually to $166 million — jumping its mobile unit ($152 million in sales, a 44 percent drop).

"Despite my best efforts to tell the world I'm a lot more than just a phone company, every question I ever get is about phones," CEO John Chen told reporters this week.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bonzo posted:

I believe they were the first to offer true unlimited service and not rob you if you decided to use data in the US.

sounds very uncanadian to me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Chen literally doesn't know anything about his products

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bonzo posted:

QUOTE OF THE YEAR!

does blackberry still think IT managers get to pick people's phones?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the longest phone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wrap it up, blackberrailures

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the laughs were the real prize

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
companies rarely die completely, often they end up being a mailbox in a law firm somewhere after years of shrinking. we have to draw the line somewhere, and the number one smartphone maker in the world circa 2007 stopping making phones entirely seems like a pretty good place to do it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

don't forget the kin!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Kins posted:

what have we learned from all of this?

we learned that people don't actually want keyboards

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
buying next was essentially an engineering brain transplant for apple. the next guys had taken over the os

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

of course os x also failed catastrophically, but at least they tried

50 billion dollars a year in profit is what I would describe as a catastrophic failure.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol fishmech

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
keep loving that chicken fishmech

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I love my dead gay useless operating system

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the true face of assburgers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Binary Badger posted:

Lazaridis and Balsillie are probably on some tropical island surrounded by hookers and blow, checking their email on their Samstungs

they both used to be billionaires. today they are 9 figure chumps, never to return to the three comma club

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
qnx has been big in automotive for a long time. presumably they want to provide a base OS for self driving cars with drivers for the most common sensor types and abstract car controls, and leave the actual driving smarts to the individual implementors. that would be the smart thing to do since they don't have the money to actually do real self driving development.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

you're aware uber's "research" program mostly consists of saying "boy self driving cars sure would be great for us" right

they bought otto, a legitimate self driving company.

also they are brazenly driving their cars in California even though they have been expressly forbidden to do so by the DMV

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
qnx is a decent os when your number one criteria is "doesn't crash" and number two is "kind of unixy". my car runs it with a Linux user land in the entertainment system. it was not a bad choice for a phone OS. the problem was in no way the kernel and base OS frameworks, it was the junk on top of that written by blackberry and also that they were way late to market and their hardware sucked.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BobHoward posted:

yeah wasn't blackberry os "classic" basically their hellfucked pager os that grew up to become a really bad smartphone os? I remember articles about how they realized that improving bbyos wasn't going anywhere, they couldn't hire any talent good enough to take on cleaning the augean stables because those people would not want that job, and really they just couldn't attract good talent period. so they bought qnx and it was the right move

but they should have made it years earlier and by then they were so far behind iphone and android it was doomed to be too little too late

yeah, it was garbage in the same way palmos and s40 were. shared memory cooperative multitasking systems (more or less) that aren't designed to run apps as we know them. qnx gave them a modern kernel. buying it was actually a smart move because it saved them a lot of effort. but the outcome would have been exactly the same whether they used linux or any other modern kernel.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

remember when the playbook came out and you couldn't use bbm without logging out of your phone becasue they never envisioned a world where people have multiple blackberrys?

see also: google allo

and it couldn't do email without being tethered to a blackberry

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in 2002 the main product was a multitasking smartphone with 2G internet, that used java for 100% of development, both system and applications. they were way the gently caress ahead of their time, and squandered it all

it was a garbage os, so bad that they had to throw it out and start over. they didn't even grasp the problem until long after they were eclipsed by good phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Subjunctive posted:

who did do that rounded case design first?

at the time they just called it "iPhone"

• Locked thread