Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I would love to make a claim on these beautiful somewhat empty zones, but my claim flag is gone. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Does anyone have a solution to missing claims and no claim flag? Just post in the official forums I guess?

edit: I see the post there, but still isn't working. Oh well.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 6, 2014

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Am I stupid or do we not start with a claim flag like we did in alpha?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Spiky Ooze posted:

I'm kind of bummed by the amount of grind in this to be honest.

I played like two days then stooped since I just don't enjoy literally grinding away the scenery forever so that I am 'equipped' to muck around building.

On the other hand if they deliver monsters/caves/and a quest making system it *could* be incredibly bad rear end. It's just a little too dull for me in this phase.

I'm in the same boat as you. I grinded and built tons in alpha, now I just can't be arsed to do it again without something very new added.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

This alpha/beta has dragged on forever. I log on one a month it seems to find a few things different, but overall it's still barely what I would call a game.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

malhavok posted:

Has there been any word at all on the EQNext game since the original announcement? Landmark is neat and all but i want a real mmo.

Not that I've seen. I'm tired of this minecraft poo poo.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I just logged in for the first time in about 2 or 3 months. Stuff looks about the same. Seems a lot more streamlined. Definitely a huge decrease in server activity though. I guess I should look for some caves then eh?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Harettazetta posted:

Looks far more rad than what they showed of EQNext. Yikes.

I'm lazy and traveling and can't find the video. What happened with next?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

I feel like they blew their pre-release hype wad wayyy too early. They had this get hype rush about a year ago and nothing has really happened since. They really need to have brought more to the table by now if they wanted to keep the hype for the game up.

Without question. I watched Soe live streams at work for hours last year I was so excited. This year I forgot live even happened (and also forget I even have EQ Landmark installed).

Fake edit: I played about two hours today and two problems stick out.

First, there's still a ton of visual lag. That makes the game very clunky and hard to play efficiently, which absolutely does not work for a building game or a sandbox or an mmo.

Second, the world is huge, but it's huge and same looking and it doesn't encourage interaction. I saw zero people today, and that was with me actively looking in an effort to stab someone.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 7, 2014

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Are there any redeeming qualities to this game yet? I feel like a sucker for having bought in at the founder level and not asking for a refund back when.

I'm in the same boat as you. Not really. I've been actively trying to get back into this by getting more active on social media, watching twitch videos, and so on. It's still just a building simulator that really isn't all that different from what we were shown nearly two years ago.

I mean, they added caves. And uh, some items. And some combat capabilities without anything to kill.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

64bitrobot posted:

You can kind of kill other people?

If you could ever find anyone else.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

X-ing the "too early hype train" note. I too paid for alpha like a dope. I also watched all their kickin' rad videos from 2 years ago on the clock at work completely excited (much like I was for EQ2 a decade ago). Now, it's just tedious. I am so tired of this early access crap. It's neat seeing under the hood, but after a certain point I'm like "drat just let me play a complete loving game for once."

Their twitch videos are pretty cool though.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

So they actually successfully launched a pretty huge update. Real caves, real monsters, and all kinds of stuff. I just logged in and it feels more like a "game" now, even though it isn't that intuitive or user friendly. Anybody else still care about this?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Welp.

http://www.eqnextfans.com/news/30754-daybreak-layoffs-goodbye-david-georgeson

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I agree this is good. Next has been vapor ware for a year. I feel like I threw 100 bucks down a money out, for what? A poo poo sandbox.

If this means a new director, good. If it means the death of next I'm ok with that.

Just please don't kill eq2 :(

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I just want to see this dynamic quest/world system they were pimping hard 2 years ago. After playing Shadow of Mordor, I imagine it's possible, but I also imagine most of it is still on paper. Prove me wrong Smedley.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I said come in! posted:

The advertising for this game at first was incredibly misleading. SoE did an awful job, and in some cases I would argue was unethical about what Landmark was exactly.

Agreed. I remember two years ago being under the impression that Landmark would be some neat building tools with a little bit of exploration, but it was all a dick tease for the awesomeness of EQ Next. Maybe if I were lucky, a dumb house I built in Landmark would show up in EQ Next as part of Kelethin or something. Instead, we got poo poo on.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

What exactly is the different between "voxels" and "the way other games are made"?

edit: ignore me. I misunderstood the question.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I drank the Kool-Aid for this dumb game. Too bad it seems like it came from Jonestown rather than Norrath.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

bonds0097 posted:

What he described doesn't sound far from the Nemesis system in shadow of mordor so it's not that crazy to think it was achievable by one of the most well established mmo companies in the industry.

Yeah that's how I saw it. I thought it was a total dumbass pipe dream, then I played Mordor and realized that maybe, just maybe, such a crazy idea wasn't so crazy for a big rear end company like SOE.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Last night I sat down at my PC ready to play some games. I glanced across my desktop and my steam library, trying to decide what I would waste a few hours on. Then I saw it, that little yellow and blue badge. In a fit of rage, I screamed... Then clicked Everquest 2 as I wept for what could have been.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Just come play EQ2 before the doors slam shut.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's sad that this game is bad and dead, I thought a minecraft style MMO with decent graphics would print money but they mismanaged it pretty bad with no real updates in the past few years after building the hype.

How does SoE stay afloat if their next everquest failed?

SOE doesn't. They get sold off to Daybreak.

I'm honestly really surprised we haven't heard anything about Next or Landmark of note since the Daybreak purchase... well, other than people like Georgeson being let go six months ago. You're seeing DBG really push out changes to PS2 (PS4 debut), EQ (Ragefire/Lockjaw servers), and EQ2 (timelock server coming up Tuesday). You'd think they would have plans to get EQNext revenues streams moving.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Their new, russian-backed owners likely have a plan for businesses that don't post a profit.

Speaking of plans, I missed their announcement that they're shifting focus to Next. That's pretty much the death of Landmark as anything other than a means to exploit free labor.

About time is all I can say really. My prediction is eq next will become a rather unsatisfying free to play mess rushed to launch without any of the promised gameplay features.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I recently deleted poo poo from my default downloads folder and saw the EQ Landmark beta client from almost two years ago. Remember when we all though EQ Next was right around the corner lmao kill me please

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Landmark is so dead, they couldn't be bothered to exploit player labor with another building competition.

Do you actually log in? Are there actually still people there?

I'm still so mad at how poorly designed and planning the Landmark rollout was. I have genuine empathy for those poor SOE/Daybreak people doing those Twitch streams a while back. They seemed to genuinely care on some level.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

With EQ2 they finally figured it out with Faydwer, but that was way too late.

I wonder if they'll just sell off the Landmark engine and we'll see lovely voxel action RPGs from some dodgy Russian company in the next year.

I just want a cool, decent EQ3 damnit. poo poo I'd take a slightly modified EQ1 with kickin rad graphics and real AI.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Jimbot posted:

A couple exist already. They're pretty good!

I actually just re-purchased these from my local used game shop. They're really not bad at all. It's just a Diablo-style game with an EQ skin, and if you played those Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games, then you'll love them (just a re-worked engine).

When they had the player/community base, SOE/Daybreak should have encouraged players to generate new content alongside contests to re-create old content. Don't do things like "Build us cool Ogre houses!" Instead, do things "Re-create Oggok from EQ1 down to the smallest detail." Seems like they knew all along how profitable EQ nostalgia was (the TLE servers gave 1 and 2 a second life) but never bothered to incorporate it into Next's grand vision.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Everquest Next is vaporware, right?

At this point and once Smedley was shitcanned, I'm gonna say yes. We haven't seen anything at all since the combat demo (that fight scene in Feerott) and some demos on that AI quest system. I'm 99.9% sure Daybreak broke with that AI team, and the combat they added to Landmark is laughable (and probably meant to make Landmark a "fuller" game and so people will forget about Next).

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Relayer posted:

Damnit why did they have to overcomplicate things, just remake EQ1 basically verbatim with a modern engine and call it a day wtf.

No poo poo. Give me original EQ with good graphics, a quest journal, and a group/dungeon finder and I'm set dawg.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

Wait, CoX got sunk because Aion underperformed? How does that work?

Wasn't it just because NCSoft shut down Paragon Studios? And with Paragon shutting down, so too did the CoX servers? I remember NCSoft claimed to be losing money at the time, primarily due to Aion's under-performance and the expensive production costs for Guild Wars 2. Going back and reading some news, it looks like most fans believed NCSoft's logic was that CoX players would shift over to Aion or GW2. Also, some speculated that CoX was cut because it was an acquired game from an American studio and NCSoft is a Korean company. Over time, CoX just didn't fit their aesthetic, so it got axed.

I want to play Everquest III damnit.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I find this very sad, very annoying, and very unsurprising. The game was totally dead once 1) Dave G was canned, 2) that AI company building the quest engine was let go, and 3) Daybreak bought SOE. Oh well.

So I guess this Amazon ad is lying to me :(

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Orv posted:

The game was dead when they started saying all that insane poo poo about a totally dynamic world with voxel destruction.

And when they crowd sourced their world construction and the crowd never showed up. Or... well they did show up, the the promised toolbox never delivered.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

War Eagle posted:

I had no idea this was launching soon.

:hfive: I'll see you on June 8th. Then I'll get frustrated at what could have been and uninstall in 15 minutes.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Trying to decide how I want my name in the credits. Leaning towards either "Brooty Buttzilla" or "Dave Georgeson."

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

It is unlikely EQN is ever coming out what with the company now just being a money laundering front for the Russian mob.

I know right. Especially since Daybreak officially cancelled it a few months back.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

So even though I'm a big retard and bought the founder's pack like 3 years ago, they still want me to pay :10bux: for this vaporware game? Am I missing a download link somewhere? What a joke. I was going to at least run around in this empty mess.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Rasmussen posted:

It's just a big retarded sandbox now.

I was foolishly a trailblazer when the game first hit alpha. I might be tempted to come get high and build a castle or something but if someone builds a spaceship next to my castle then ~my immersion~ will be ruined. Themed servers might be cool, but I doubt that happen.

Send me some :catdrugs: and I'll build all kinds of spaceships with yall.

edit: Just kidding. I went to install, realized what I was doing with my life, and quickly abandoned ship.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 10, 2016

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

Hell, everquest 2's stats were deeply hosed to the point where after Kunark the developers just said 'gently caress it' and made only 2 stats matter per class. That being Stamina and your archetype stat (str for fighters, wis for priests, ect) because gearing crusaders/inquisitors/druids/basically any class that dipped in multiple venues of melee/casting/healing was becoming a hellish slog that meant you either were a little lovely at everything, or you were good at one specific thing and very poo poo at everything else.

Man, that was a mess in EQ2, especially if you played a tweener class (for the time). Back then, Fury was supposed to be a secondary healer and a secondary ranger DPS type. That meant I had to have both high INT and high WIS, preferably a different set of gear for each that I had to switch out regularly. It was terrible, but at the same time it was kind of fun figuring out the best gear to result in beating Wizards in DPS and Wardens in HPS.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Everquest 2 had a terrible launch. Terribly unoptimised and people were crashing all over the place. It wasn't quite as bad as Vanguard but initial impressions didn't do that game any favours. It also ran into the problem of "why would I switch over when we have half a decade worth of content/expansions in EQ1?" so a lot of EQ fans didn't even bother.

I honestly don't remember anything bad about EQ2's launch besides the game itself was horribly unbalanced. I loved it; my brother hated it because his Shaman couldn't solo a drat thing by level 20. Either way, I loved it and wanted all my EQ mates to switch. Only about five of them did and not until Faydwer. I don't recall any crashes, but I do recall about a million crashes for Vanguard.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

lol if you posted:

for like a month after eq2's launch the mob with the most PC kills every day was a crafting forge

My brother was really proud that he hadn't died in EQ2 at all for like the first month the game was out, then a forge got him when he finally tried out tradeskills.

• Locked thread