Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How did Greece, which is pretty goddamn poor, manage to make a bunch of modern olympic facilities, and totally revamp all the transit for the city of Athens, where Russia, which fancies itself a superpower, totally shits the bed every step of the way?

Also the international response when Russia kills a bunch of their citizens trying to gas out a Chechen who looks sketchy will be interesting.

Dauntasa posted:

no shooting heroin krokodil in the bathrooms

Haha, like they would manage to get their hands on heroin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Honestly, though, I don't know what we could expect from the type of people that wear tracksuits everywhere.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

So there is totally going to be at least an attempted terrorist attack on this thing, right?

Yeah, but most of the casualties are going to be from the Russian policy of "Well, if we kill all the hostages, it isn't a hostage situation anymore".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ah, the Onion. Tellin' it like it is.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/at...eview:1:Default

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lawman 0 posted:

russians dont gently caress around with their subs usually

Yeah, the Kursk won a gold medal.

In dying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Acquire Currency! posted:

... what original stalker movie? You better not be trolling bro

Stalker. It's based on the novel Roadside Picnic. Both inspired the game. Read the story, then watch the movie. Or the other way around. They both own.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShutteredIn posted:

Here's the story: there are a gently caress load of stray dogs in Russia and they own and they are much better than Russian humans.

They're the only living creatures in the area that don't revel in human misery, so yeah, pretty much.

I poo poo you not, the Russian idea of a happy ending is "every character dies, because life is misery and now they don't have to deal with it". I'm not joking, every literature course I took went over that.

EDIT: Also, you're very unlikely to find a dog wearing a tracksuit, so that's another ten thousand or so points to them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ZombieReagan posted:

I can't imagine tarp ceilings would actually pass a fire safety inspection, assuming they do that in Russia.

They do. They mostly just inspect your wallet, though, and they take out any of that flammable paper stuff they can find. Is fast. Is efficent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

Russian tactical plastic bag.

Are they wearing tracksuits under those jackets? Those are totally track pants they're wearing.

What is it with russians and wearing tracksuits?

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis#Chemical_attack

I'd be more afraid of those guys than any terrorist attack.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

dont worry, they will be stopped by the unmanned metal detectors

It's probably a good thing they aren't manned. With russian security's track record, I think the response to one going off would be "begin to fire indiscriminately into the crowd, claim everyone who died had a heart attack".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

its probably more like that scene from die another day where the chinese have the surveillance team behind a one way glass mirror in bonds hotel room

except mirror is tarp

And surveillance team is dogs. But is good, they have sharp hearing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hudlinkin posted:

has that actually worked for any country?

Athens had a lot of city infrastructure stuff installed that was still super-nice a few years ago. Don't know how it is now that they've been broke as poo poo for ages, but at the time it was one of the nicest city transit systems I'd ever used. The airport was hella modernized, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Noni posted:

We're all going to feel very silly when the terrorists are fooled into harmlessly blowing up a vacant tarp building and then are overcome by a pack of wild dogs.

Yeah, we'll feel silly until the Russian security floods the stands with fentanyl gas to try to put down the dogs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lenoon posted:

The UK guardian live blog is brilliant and very funny

Holy poo poo, that is one empty stadium.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hahaha, those empty seats. If a stadium collapses and there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Noni posted:

Russians invented TV?

A russian invented the word for TV. After translating the word germans were already using.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

"It looks like the ceremony will revolve around an 11-year-old girl, who has just started flying. “Her dreams will take us on a journey across this land,” we’re told."

isn't this the plot of literally every opening ceremony jesus christ

She's chasing the bottle of wodka at the end of the lovely russian rainbow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

The mayor of Ottawa:

:drat:

Loved the greek rainbow gloves. I wish my computer would get the stream going again so I can keep an eye out for more gently caress-yous to Putin.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wierre posted:

Malta woman with her bag. "Not leaving it in the hotel room..."

Yeah, you don't know if it'll be there when you get back.

The hotel room, that is. The bag will definitely be stolen when Shower Cam Big Brother sees you've left.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is that We Will Rock You playing while Russia comes on?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

w00tazn posted:

I heard BBC say Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger.

...Mashed up with Russian Traditional music.

That just started. Oh god, it sounds so bad. So loving bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, hey, how did they give my nightmares skates?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wait, did NBC not show the mascots during the opening ceremony? I was talking to one of my friends about it this morning and she didn't believe that there were these nightmareish mascots skating across the arena at one point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

reminder that loving GOLF is going to be in rio 2016

and they almost cut wrestling because ???

Well, you have to have golf in Rio, the kidnapping industry fronted the bribes to the IOC and they gotta make that money back somehow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

instead of sand traps, they will just leave a few houses standing with the drug lords still inside

Rio 2016: More snow than Sochi 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Are they still doing biathalon stuff? I wanted to catch that, I had a TA in college who was going to be on the USSR biathalon team before the whole collapse of the soviet union thing. They'd take him to a nearby Red Army base to work on the shooting and whatnot, it sounded pretty crazy.

Motherfucker looked exactly like David Bowie, too, it was uncanny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

raditts posted:

I'll admit that I don't know anything about Rio beyond that it's in Brazil and they did a Fast and the Furious movie there and they have a giant stone Jesus doing the "safe" motion. What's so terrible about it that it will be worse than Sochi?

edit: oh

The people running the country are nearly as corrupt as the ones running Russia. It's also got a kidnapping industry to rival Mexico's, which really makes it a weird choice for a place to bring a shitload of tourists to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

Yeah it's pretty crazy watching the police fire indiscriminately into a populated area.

Especially when you can see them nearly miss people through the IR camera. A few people definitely almost got taken out there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And that's it for NBC coverage today in my timezone. Good fuckin' job, Nothing But Commercials :bravo:

Considering the shitload of money they drop on getting the rights to the olympics every year, you'd think they'd spend a bit more time actually airing them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fauxtool posted:

Human-Grey hybrids confirmed for US team

seriously, dat spacing O______O

Wow, I would have figured her for the swim team, because she's obviously part flounder.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

funroll loops posted:

I think the extra weight from the poo poo in your pants might slow you down

You're not really adding any weight if you poo poo your pants on the track, you're just moving it around a little bit.

Unless you have some kind of conservation-of-matter destroying colon. Which wouldn't shock me, given SA's history of poop stories.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

wheres it spreading to

I think this probably sums it up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

whole turnip? bozhemoy! Mikhail, come see big spender who can afford whole turnip

They call it "turnip".

Is tarp, though. Turnip fund was embezzled.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Al Borland posted:

Is Bob Costas blind / dead yet?

The bug alien that's wearing him like a suit is going to need to either go back to his home planet or inhabit Matt Lauer soon, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Hhaha yeah god forbid American media highlights anything where the US doesn't win, what I now find hilarious is how in the Summer Olympics since China now get more golds than the US it's no longer about the number of golds oh no it's about the total number of medals (bronzes apparently counting just as much) leading to a total redesign of the medal table.

China only got more golds than the US in 2008, though. In 2012 the US had more gold medals, just like in every other summer olympics.

You'd think China would get more mileage out of the whole "We take you from your family and force you to train constantly" thing, but nope.

• Locked thread