Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Goblin Legionnaire. RIP damage on the stack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

gang sines posted:

Livewire triggers on spells only although Lash tribal sounds like a fun deck so I'm down with this.

RIP lashdraft.dec from triple Mirrodin draft

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

A gold Gemstone Caverns style card would be kind of interesting, but probably too broken. Something like:

Land
You may reveal this card from your opening hand. If you do, exile it and, at the beginning of the first upkeep, put a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I first played magic with the portal 2 intro decks and one of the things I thought was cool is the instruction book that came with it instructed you to stack the top of the deck a certain way and then presented a script for the first five or so turns before letting you finish the game on your own, and I thought that was really helpful and I've tried to do something similar when teaching others to play. Like it sucks to just begin a game like normal and then have someone get mana screwed in their first game or whatever.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

One of the things I liked a lot about morph in OLS that can't be replicated now is that it's maybe the one time in the history of Magic that damage on the stack felt like a true feature instead of a weird rules quirk. It made creatures that morphed into things with low power but large toughness really fun. Wall of Deceit comes to mind as a really well-designed card that is completely ruined by the rules changes.

Elyv posted:

The only thing I didn't like about morph was the Battering Craghorn or Skirk Commando conundrum, other than that it's one of my favorite mechanics.

It helped a whole lot that Legions and Scourge didn't have much that penalized you for not blocking. Though that just made Skirk Commando even more powerful.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

ungulateman posted:

It looks fantastic, but you'd end up with a clunky ~70ish card deck to turn it on, I think. Could be worth it, especially in something like a powered cube, though.

If you draft 9 conspiracies, you're left with 36 cards and can play 24 land for a normal 60 card deck which isn't too bad. The real problem is you're going to end up playing a fair amount of last pick crap.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Everblight posted:

I still can't believe how badKangee is. 2UW for a 2/2 legendary Flier? Already worse than Wind Drake. But wait! For the low low sum of 5UW you can get a 3/3 flier! That makes other 1/1's into 2/2's! Symmetrically!

Edit: Oh wait, he's been errata'd! For just 5UW, you STILL get a 2/2 that only conditionally buffs other creatures!

In Masques/Invasion standard, for FNM I played a domain deck that mostly won with Ordered Migration but also included a copy of Kangee because it was hilarious

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Magnificent posted:

Among cards not in Vintage Masters are City of Traitors and Wasteland. Both of those are going to get very, very expensive.

Edit: Also Hurkyl's Recall, which was already over $20 for a card that sees almost no play.

Rishadan Port is out too which really sucks.

I'm really happy to see Astral Slide and Lightning Rift in, I don't see any way I don't force that deck every draft out of nostalgia.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Thank god they fixed the lag issues, EDH is finally playable again

I mean hopefully

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

A lot of cards from Kamigawa block that look bad now were perfectly playable in context but Numai Outcast was unmitigated last pick garbage back then too

e: Branded Brawlers sucked for sure but Veteran Brawlers saw fringe play being in a format with Rishadan Port, Tangle Wire, and good land destruction

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Hey now Rhystic Cave opens a ton of design space in that version of 3-Card Magic where you're trying to lose

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

People cheating with morph was 100% not a problem in OLS but what I did see new players get tripped up on was accidentally playing creatures with cycling as morphs because of the similar templating of the two abilities, hopefully they don't have anything like that in Khans.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

There was no shame in playing an Egotist in a deck with, say, a Torrent of Fire and a Rush of Knowledge, though you usually had a better option

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The best basic land arts of every type are Fifth Edition lands but the lack of black borders and having text instead of the giant mana symbol kills them imo

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

A version of Dream Chisel that only costs 1 would probably be fine and would be way cooler because you could curve into a turn 2 morph

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Jonked posted:

What makes them great in Modern might not be around in Standard. Right now, the only thing the fetches are grabbing are basic lands. Obviously, they're probably going to put in some sort of typed dual, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see many fetches at all.

Fetches aren't particularly good without typed duals, but people will still play them because they need to play dual lands. I wasn't around for Zendikar standard so I can't comment on that, but in Onslaught standard, they only really took priority over pain lands when decks could take advantage of the graveyard through Grim Lavamancer or Psychatog or whatever.

e: of course most decks just played both fetches and pains when they could, but decks like wake tended to play more pains/odyssey filters than fetches

Big Ol Marsh Pussy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 1, 2014

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

The best deck in ONS era were not 3 colors.

the best deck in OD/ONS was arguably wake which was three colors but it still didn't really play fetches. the 3-color aggro decks that sometimes saw play did though, but that was mostly because of lavamancer

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

We're getting off topic, but iirc Wake was only the best deck once seventh rotated out and eighth rotated in with corresponding loss of counterspell, force spike, and maybe opportunity(I can't remember if Opportunity saw any play); I thought before that it was Tog.

It was wake or tog depending on who you ask, both were really good

the unofficial best (and by best i mean coolest) deck was actually r/w slide with the 15 land destruction sideboard though

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Remember, in addition to the wedge tapland cycle and the fetch cycle, there are 10 nonbasic lands in Khans. We have no idea what those are. My initial guess is painlands with a single basic land type, though something like Murmuring Bosk is also possible.

given that there's already a cycle at uncommon and rare id think it's way more likely it's a common cycle and then either another common cycle or various random lands

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

really if i had to do some stupid speculation wedge panoramas seem like the easiest shoo-in ever

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I control Ob Nixilis, Unshackled and cast From the Ashes. My opponent searches for multiple basics as a result. Does Ob Nixilis trigger once or multiple times? I want to say once because that's the intuitive answer, but the wording on From the Ashes makes it sound like the game sees multiple searches occurring.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I hope a lot of the cards left unrevealed are morphs with simple turn face-up triggers, like Skirk Marauder or Skinthinner were. A lot of the common/uncommon morphs revealed so far just get bigger, and the dichotomy between small utility morphs and fatty morphs was always way more interesting than commando/craghorn stuff

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Also ffs can we please just get a reprint of Zombie Cutthroat, the best and most fun limited morph of all time (not named Wall of Deceit, RIP damage on the stack)

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

18 land was the standard in Onslaught block draft, but that was because Morph was much more prevalent than it will be in Khans and missing your 3rd land drop in OLS was basically game over

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i think it would be a good idea to still play flip and rip but instead of ripping the cards give them to whatever 9 year old is in the store!!! maybe you'll give a 9 year old a $200 card or something!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I've been away from MTGO for a while and finally downloaded the new version, and I can't seem to find where my net decks were saved, my locally saved decks are there though. Googling doesn't help, so I'm assuming it's something retarded that I'm missing, but where can I find them?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Applebees posted:

Your net decks are stored online, and you should be able to see them in the new client. If you still have decks saved on your computer, they should be in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Magic Online\3.0\Decks.

Import your local decks by selecting Add Deck in the Collection tab. You can select multiple decks and import multiple at a time.

Thanks a lot, I had it backwards, it was my net decks that were showing up and I had to import my local decks how you said

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Went 5-1 with Temur, losing to a really fast Mardu. I had double Rattleclaw Mystic and was playing turn 4 6-drops all day. When I wasn't doing that I was playing the 1G 2/2 deathtouch guy and triggering his ferocious on turn 3 with the 4/2 bear. All in all good times

Rinkles posted:

Did you play w/ 18 or 17 lands? (not that your logic wouldn't work either way). I assumed it'd be easy to get mana screwed.

I think in general 18 is going to be right in this format outside of the fastest Mardu decks, you really want to be able to hit a three drop, and the most relevant morphs don't do anything until 5 mana.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Korak posted:

Outside of the Jeskai Combo deck, which new standard deck isn't running a planeswalker or creature as a wincon?

Just for the record as someone who has been testing the Jeskai Ascendency deck it's almost always right to Thoughtseize a mana dork t1 against it anyway

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Could someone explain the jeskai ascendency deck?

General situation is get two mana dorks and Ascendency in play and start chaining cantrip auras. You can either just get your dorks big enough to fly over for lethal with Stratus Walk, or get positive mana by drawing into a second Ascendency, Twinflame, or Retraction Helix + Dragon Mantle and win with Burning Anger.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The artifact version of the combo is real loving bad never play it

The only real debate is whether you go all out with enchantments and run Eidolon of Blossoms and Kruphix's Insight to minimize fizzle chance or if you run the more powerful but less consistent version that mains Twinflame and Retraction Helix and uses Delve spells or Divination for card draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

From the moment the name was spoiled, it made me think of the Vikings' Sex Boat scandal.

football nerds

requesting art alter showing fred smoot taking the treasure cruise

• Locked thread