Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

End of Life Guy posted:

I thought the whole point of the meadery was practice amongst friends. Why cheat if it's practice for the real thing?
You practice cheating so that you're proficient WHEN it's the real thing.

e: I'm still surprised that others are surprised that wizards cheat at poker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Conspiracy sounds like a great set to include true name nemesis if you missed out on the commander rush. I wouldn't mind seeing FOW or wasteland at uncommon (just like their original printing) either. Both of those would fit a multiplayer product. I think show and tell fits too. I can't think of any modern staples that fit aside from karn, Lilliana OTV and mind censor.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Literally The Worst posted:

You're literally insane if you think this is going to happen.

They are both appreciated cards in multiplayer and are uncommon.

E: they reprinted scavenging ooze, a former commander only card, in a core set with accompanying DOTP promo.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 13, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They're also cards that are worth a bunch of money and are at a power level that isn't equal to modern uncommon cards. You're nuts if you think they're going to reprint 70 dollar legacy staples at uncommon just because that was the original rarity in loving Alliances.

I could see it not being included due to power level differences - forgot about that. I don't see how it being $70 means anything. I have 9 so it's not a case of me wanting cheap ones. They were printed at uncommon. I think Serra angel and a couple other lesser uncommons have the dubious distinction of being upgraded to rare. I could see that too but I think they belong at uncommon. Multiplayer has enough "answer me or die" situations where a FOW is needed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's no way in hell Force belongs at uncommon. I can't even fathom why you think this is a reasonable thing. Pay 1 life and exile a blue card from your hand to cast it for free is not an uncommon thing. Uncommon in 1996, when they still didn't really know what they were doing, is not the same thing as uncommon in 2014.

edit Also Serra Angel is back to uncommon and has been for a few years now.

quote:

Multiplayer has enough "answer me or die" situations where a FOW is needed.
And yes I know Serra is back to uncommon where she belongs. Just like FOW and wasteland and strip mine for that matter.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why do you think Force would belong at uncommon if it was reprinted tomorrow, besides that was its original rarity (because original rarity means gently caress all, especially when talking about cards from 1996)?

Forget about it being just straight up too good to be an uncommon in 2014, it would absolutely floor the price and WotC doesn't want to do that.

quote:

Multiplayer has enough "answer me or die" situations where a FOW (e: and wasteland) is needed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TUrns out this is actually not one of the criteria that goes into determining rarity, please try again.
Ah yes. I forgot they print counter spell and cancel at rare.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Boxn posted:

The cards made by Nagle will probably be grave hate because he hates graveyard decks even though they spices things up, or really powerful stuff that would be restricted or banned, because DRS, Jace the Moneybags, etc. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the set.
I'm looking forward to his Magister of Worth cosplay.

Gyshall posted:

Haha, is this actually A Thing?
Wizard cards are the easiest thing to fence.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yay Miracles is on the radar again! I always loved that greedy deck. The 10th place finisher which looks like a BUG POD list looks really fun too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elblanco posted:

If you guys want to see a truly horrible reprint policy, look at konami and yugioh. Those cards hold almost zero value, they will not only reprint a card the same year it was released, they may reprint it in the same set! One at super ultra mega rare and one at common. Then they'll go and reprint it in a precon. Game shops will have stacks and stacks of staples all over.

The fact that wizards cares about the secondary market at all puts them miles ahead of the competition.

And yet YGO does just fine. It just happens to be popular in Asian markets and Hawaii and I've never heard my LGSs there complain that they should model WOTC's reprint policies.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How many of those stores have made selling YGO singles a significant part of their business though?

I don't know what quantifies as significant but ideal808.com is one of the premier YGO selling sites. I know they have plenty of singles in their shop but probably keep the hot new ones at lower quantities unlike MTG. They've adapted to that kind of market so probably have to churn through singles at a much faster pace. It seems like a tautology. Of course they're going to sell more actual product of YGO instead of magic singles and relatively more magic singles because that's how those business models work.

I am honestly surprised when any LGS makes any single product too significant as their business model. I've seen stores come and go because of it. We have one in nova, curio cavern, and over the course of the two years it's been open it has morphed into MTG-only shop that happens to sell other things but isn't as balanced as all the other LGSs I know. There's a new shop that opened maybe 8 months ago in Oahu like that too. It's working so far but it's stupid as hell. I only think they're (referring to both stores) still in business because the locals support it enough through cult-like pack gambling and buying singles and boxes there as good will to keep it open instead of buying online. Now I'm sure that's because of the mystique of opening mythical cards and reserved list and etc. but I don't think the eggs in a basket approach is a good one and think it's stupid as hell. But whatever, there are 4 more in the area so the community's not hurting for places to go if one folds.

Anyway, I look forward to taunting due to this effort post and my opinions of the printing rarity. :)

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 18, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was out with friends last night and one of them put out an interesting idea: I could literally sell the remainder of my magic collection and buy a BTR or similar APC/tank that are street legal. Just another option to consider with the magic of wizard rectangles.

e: Yeah they're like ~$15-20k used. I think the british papers had at least a few stories of guys who bought tanks and they got slightly better non-soviet(?) ones for like $25k. Now the gas is probably gonna set you back a pair of underground seas per fill.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 18, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That is why Zendikar x3 was the best draft format. Eight welkin terns before anybody figured out how to play it. :D

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

APAC and EURO lands are the best because they are real places I have (mostly, 26/30) been to. They are beautiful but should only be used by the people who have actually been to those places. Otherwise it turns into disappointment when you're hoping to share cool stories about skiing and breaking your leg at Chamonix-Mont Blanc and just getting "oh I just like the art. :geno:"

But, it's not as amusing as people who exclusively get ~cool~ foreign cards but don't know how to read them. Yes that's cool you have a foiled out Japanese legacy deck and it certainly overcomes the fact that you have to consult a judge about the specific wording of a card because you're illiterate. :rolleyes: Now if only Deutsch cards were easier to get.

e: whoah, should've refreshed first

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 19, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think Theros thoughtseize is the one card with the art I enjoy the most out of the "new" batch from the last 10 years. It's the only art that isn't a literal wizard throwing spells or wizard_creature/implement.gif. Now if only it wasn't ~constrained by this style guide~ it would be free to be a really cool pic similar to the old card with the little man cowering in fear thinking he's literally dissolving.

Fairy thoughtseize is a mess.

e: Oh wait, the other card with skeletons pushing the hand of a clock is good too.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 20, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

At least they are wearing professional outfits instead of blazing t-shirts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Korak posted:

Blazer + Tshirt combo has been spotted in the deck tech. Take 20 damage.
Players can look like slobs since we are magic players so can't help it, but newscasters should at least look professional.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Korak posted:

UWR looking good against Pod. As long as he gets good draws I think UWR is going to win.
TWoo had a terrible W-L record and he's bragging that no opponent gave up... Ok I'm finally on the TWoo is on a verge of a mental breakdown train.

Yeah I guess that, like mike Flores, he's grasping to remain relevant.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Haha, that was fast. Threads of disloyalty are disappearing. I love when these rectangles are funnier than bitcoin.

Veyrall posted:

You folks are over-thinking it. He's just posting about his experience, and probably going out to play ball later. Unless he's directly stated that Magic is literally his only career or something? I haven't watched his stream in a while, so my knowledge may be outdated, but last I heard he was coaching or something and making money that way.

I don't pay attention to TWoo at all aside from the funny stories I read in this thread but when I see twitch superstars flail around I'm doing the reasonable thing and assuming it's all for attention. It would only be funnier if I learned he was into Crossfit because it would make so much sense.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

So we can expect Threads of Disloyalty to spike again, right?

They're already sold out in a lot of places. A dozen on ebay but the leftovers on tcg are already higher than 25bux. Foils are almost all gone. There's still a couple here. However, do note that you probably only need a couple so I can't imagine it goes that high. I'm still surprised it even got up to 25bux. They were $12 the entire time I've been using them in Modern for the past couple years.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Is Threads of Loyalty even a better or worse card now than people already knew it was before the PT (i.e. did some surprise new creature come out of the woodwork for it to target) or is any spike just a pavlovian reaction to seeing it on camera as the card that happened to be the last relevant play in the pro tour?

I imagine the latter. It's been an off and on standard sideboard card for as long as Old Glory control's been a deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

toadee posted:

Enchantment tutor in modern. Probably someone won a game on a stream with 3 people witnessing it and by next week it will be $45. Just part of the inevitable match toward $5,000 decks in the 'accessible' eternal format.

But it's ok cuz if we only had $500 decks in modern it would lose it's collector's appeal. Also something about a special journey.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like to imagine how absurd modern prices will be when SCG finally switches over and does modern Sundays due to the larger player base. :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What a Judas posted:

These are my favorite alters I've acquired in the last few years. Especially the last one. Does anyone know why that last one is the most important one?

Yo someone post the cool bro karn with the greek paddle and upturned collar. Also this thread moves too fast and I was gonna post a typical anime alter as a response to Samael's post. Holy poo poo there are so many boobs. I knew there were tons on ebay but thought it was a quick cash grab and maybe 50% of the total. NOPE.

This brings us to this important question: Why the hell isn't anime alter art 90% Goku?

L0cke17 posted:

Probably never going to happen, at least not for a long time. Without the Legacy Opens the market for every card pre-8th edition becomes effectively casuals and EDH only, tanking a large part of their inventory's value. Unless they sell out of old cards first, it is unlikely they will switch sundays to anything other than Legacy.

They could always just not buy any new ones and sell the rest before doing so. SCG does like to buy up and hoard good legacy cards but that doesn't mean they have to do so indefinitely.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 24, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Good goku alters

And of course my very own nws cool alter

the paint is textured for your rubbing pleasure

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bhsman posted:

Someone post that Land Tax alter.

You know the one. :dong:

I already did in the previous post. It's my card. Lost the old pic so had to take another. :nws:

Kinda want to commission another card in a similar vein (lol). I have a Japanese Emrakul. Is there any way to make that a cool ironic pic possibly with anime?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mortimer posted:

I have seen that card in real life. Didn't the LGS owner make it?

Yeah, Tom made it. It ended up with one of the EDH regulars whose name I forgot and he traded it to me. He said I would be the only one he would trade it to since I would appreciate its value. It has a nice reputation and legend around NoVA now. You can discreetly ask the people at CGO fairfax and VC and they'll know of it. Hopefully I will remember to bring it with me next time I'm in Hawaii so they too can be part of the history.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm still laughing at the fact that back when I started playing again in Zendikar, people passed foil marsh flats and scalding tarns to me just to win the draft. Ten-dollar fetches. Those were the good days. The really sad part is when people who I knew were playing back then complain about these prices when they had ample opportunity to buy them and were reminded of that fact often. I feel sorry for people just trying to get into modern.

And I too am consistently surprised at how expensive these modern staples are now since I got them way back when they were $1-5 and never had to trade for more. People used to pass through $7-10 cryptic commands, Karns, and stoneforges. I'm still amazed at how ridiculous these prices are.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 25, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, it was pretty much the best and only time to really get into legacy. It was really easy to turn all my standard stuff into legacy playables and I still have a stack of Jaces from when 2 vampire nocts equaled one Jace. I still urge people I know who talk about getting into legacy not to get into it, just like I did back then. Use the money for real assets and stocks instead. I guess it's more that I find wizard cardboard too surreal to talk about seriously, unlike my ~real finances and stocks~. It's more a dumb thing to do cuz trading's fun and "wowzers! my karns are 60bux! I could turn them into a new laptop!" is a fun thing to say. It's really sad when I see people who are decent at speculating cards waste their talent on that instead of trying to be day traders. Even sadder is when I know people who have turned wizard trading into a part- or full-time job. They could do real things and get real work experience in the financial world instead.

And yeah, I'm glad I let my friend talk me into buying apple stock way back cuz of that dumb ipod thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Stinky Pit posted:

People enjoy trading, buying, and selling Magic cards because it's fun and you sound like a jerk talking about how you look down on them because you choose to gamble on the stock market instead.

It's great you got Apple or whatever and it turned out well but your friend could have easily convinced you that Pets.com was the poo poo. Computers selecting stocks at random are as successful as the most experienced brokers, and only a handful of years removed from one of the biggest failures of our banking system its funny hearing people talk about the stock market as if one couldn't help but trip into earnings there.

It's a hobby for people, and wondering why they don't choose to play the stock market as their hobby is as nonsensical as me asking why your hobby isn't carving beautiful antique dressers. It might be profitable for you, but you might not enjoy it.

I said it was fun and treat it as an instrument of fun in my post so I don't know what you're on about. The apple comment was geared towards how lucky I was as well. My complaints are that of people who would choose a dead-end job instead of starting a serious career path. It's the same response I have about people who make money streaming and playing videogames. Sure that's great you get money from it but I can't imagine "played/streamed videogames for 5 years" looks great on a resume.

And no, I wouldn't consider people talking about "investing thousands of dollars into wizard poker legacy" a hobby anymore. That's why I would advise them to get real assets or stocks instead. I suppose stocks isn't the right word to encompass all of sound investment planning or 401k's but I think assets falls under that umbrella term.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 25, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What a Judas posted:

Can you show off your stocks in a game of Magic? I get to play with my investments and still profit off of them.

Also my job prevents me from day trading. So.

:smug: "So I just sold a few shares of Apple and I bought this entire foil deck."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Well, you didn't actually address the question of why this necessitates that duel decks be bad. The target audience you rightly point out will probably not turn their nose up at a duel deck that is somewhat better or offers a decent value (and no, it doesn't have to be "all the cards for $20" to be a decent value, before you trot that one out again).

To put it another way--adding just one more value Modern rare to the duel deck in place of Vinelasher Kudzu or whatever will probably not significantly alienate these casual players from purchasing the product, whereas not having anything remarkable CAN alienate the competitive players, thus leaving money on the table. This is a case where Wizards can eat their cake and have it too.
Now I wonder what the most alienating duel deck would be, for both grognards and newbies. Maybe Doomsday combo vs. Miracles. :getin: It will include uncommon force of wills and a giant book detailing all the strategy behind it, similar in size to those old gargantuan PC handbooks for Baldur's Gate and Homeworld. I imagine pages upon pages of relevant probability tables mixed in. :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ungulateman posted:

3) Are mill decks viable in Standard or Modern? I was finagling around with Tome Scour, Archaeomancer and Chronic Flooding after getting some M14/RtR cards but I'd like to know if you can make it work when you're in an actual format.
Just wanted to add that sadly you missed this by a year. Last standard was full of Nephalia Drownyards that milled your opponent every turn and you'd have awesome milling battles in the mirror match and whoever started drowning first could sometimes win even if the other guy had a Jace and ghost quarter down later. The best part was the psychic spiral spell and the counter wars that would result.

bhsman posted:

I would buy this and be genuinely torn over which to play.
I use both as my current legacy decks and I have a hard time choosing between the two as well. They're really fun but holy poo poo at times it's mind-boggling to decide how to brainstorm and stack your deck. The best part is if such a product existed every clueless non-legacy player would point to it and say "That's why I don't play legacy. You either win turn 2 or drag the game out past turn 30." (Though to be fair that'd be the old stoneblade before true-name was out. That was such a fun draw-making deck.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why do people dislike the spider set symbol? I keep forgetting the name but I played off and on throughout the years and that spider is the most memorable. It is the best symbol.

Livingtrope posted:

I'm a terrible causal player but I think Miracles looks fun, the end result is smashing them with a bunch of angels and who doesn't love that.

Actually, thinking about it, I have yet to see anyone win with that deck with angels, it's always Vendillion Clique or Snapcaster beat-down, which is actually an even more hilarious way to win.

Yep. There are plenty of legacy endings where it's just a 2/1 or 2/2 dude hitting someone until death. This occurs more frequently against pox and it's herp derp wasteland vs. mishra's factory. Good times. Delver decks are pretty much all-in on this classic plan. However, the fact that a casual displayed interest in it means it's not distasteful enough. If only eggs vs. doomsday could be a thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I always forgot its name was onslaught but the M stands for :master: anyway. (M stands for Morph you dinguses)

Livingtrope posted:

i don't think you know how much I hate myself, I would play eggs and I would meticulously ask everytime if a trigger or ability resolved.
Oh yeah, forgot. We both post in that awful thread and actually enjoy it. Deck should come with sunglasses to make sure you weren't passing priority by mistaken eye contact.

e: Tea time crew on gbs. I joined when it was nice crew and it's fun at times but apparently it's drama-filled at times. I wouldn't know cuz I always see 500+ unread posts and skip to the end when I post.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 26, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Livingtrope posted:

Well, that is why I said I'd play it in a specifically annoying fashion :v:

I seem to recall some big Legacy.jpg, was Four Horseman the one that was "play this if you hate everyone" option?

You could still lose with eggs if you played wrong. The only problem with four horsemen is that you had to do the iteration a number of times approaching infinity to make sure the pieces fell in the right order. So it's only a negative if you value your time. *posts in wizard thread*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh man, we're heading here again. Sweet! Someone post that cool fox news-like picture that says 99.7% of magic players own a red deck wins legacy deck.

On the other hand, I now really look forward to GP Richmond since I have a stack of around 40 snapcasters and a dozen Lilianas. :dance:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kizudarake posted:

Hey, great user name/post combo.

Dickeye works at a card shop. Kinda biased about cheap cards I guess. Apparently it'll fold if they can't sell their wizard rectangles at absurdly high prices and can't imagine a YGO business model.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hey, let's take it a step further while we're at it. A lot of times the opponent quickly reveals their hand after responding and before you get a chance to rename - it's just a habit and one of those tricky timing situations that's better solved by MTGO. You see their new hand and opponents can show their hand at any time if they so wish. You argue that you still get to choose a different card. Judge comes over, and assuming he sides with you, you see they now have a FoW, blue useless spell, and a Jace they drew since the last time you've seen their hand. You call out the Jace.

If you're gonna tiptoe the rules this way, might as well go all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saeku posted:

Let's say I'm the judge who gets called over. There are three possibilities: active player purposefully didn't communicate that he was changing his named card as the spell was resolving (he is cheating); non-active player tried to rush through the resolution of Cabal Therapy to give active player a chance to change his named card after the response (he's being unsporting and/or cheating); or non-active player accidentally revealed his hand too early. If it's not #3, this is going to be an incredibly lovely judge call.

Well yeah, see? That's why it's a fun thought experiment! It's similar to that famous story of a guy making eye contact and passing priority, losing the chance to revive some vengevines.

Promoted Pawn posted:

So now Fracturing Gust (2 G/W G/W G/W-Instant-Destroy all artifacts and enchantments. Gain 2 life for each thing destroyed) is $15 after a buyout. Considering the only deck that uses it (Scapeshift) only wants one copy in the sideboard, the only thing that could conceivably prop up this spike is EDH demand. I'd sell into the spike if you have any.

Edit: Also SCG is now buying Misty Rainforest and Scalding Tarn at $70. ZEN fetches are going up again soon.
Wow, that is fun and ridiculous. I still have a couple foil tarns somewhere and I think I only ever tried fracturing gust in Ajundi with only a single one in the sideboard.

• Locked thread