Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Krenko, Mob Boss is the only one of my dozens of pet cards that I haven't given up on, probably because he's the one who actually works. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Froghammer posted:

Vexing Devil is great when you have three of them in your opening hand. Beyond that it's kind of meh.

^^^EDIT: come on dude, "dies to Doom Blade" is the shittiest argument ever.

"Dies to Doom Blade except when it dies to the opponent being able to tank the 4 damage either through exploiting your loss of board presence or being able to win fast enough the damage doesn't matter, the decision of which is entirely in said opponent's hand" is a good argument, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Imagine if, when you cast Boros Charm, the opponent got to pick which mode was cast. It'd be awful because you'd never get the 4 damage or Double Strike when you wanted it, and I can see your dudes becoming Indestructible really often, which is noted for not helping with Unsummon nor increasing damage output.

While this is a bit of an extreme example, I think it does illustrate why punisher mechanics are so rarely good. The two modes have to be close, like with Xenabro or that mythic phoenix, or otherwise the opponent can take whichever inconveniences them the least. At prerelease I let a guy's Nessian Wilds Ravager get to be 12/12 because I had Voyage's End in hand and I liked my board position.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Guy hugging a huge stuffed pokemon as he plays.

Before I respond I just have to know which Pokemon it is. This is important for research.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kabanaw posted:

Also, anybody who won't trust a program because it's only pseudorandom doesn't understand why it matters that it's different from random.

With as many RPGs as I've played I don't trust PRNGs because some sort of invisible entity exerts spite via them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Star Man posted:

poo poo, they put a number of Thragtusks into one deck of every event deck series for a year and it still didn't do a loving thing to its price.

The only way it will be good enough is to do it in a controlled mass like Modern Masters, but bigger. I get why Force of Will and its cousins won't see the light of day in a Standard-legal set and have no problem with it.

This poo poo with Legacy single prices is just loving bullshit. It feels good to sell a playset of Wastelands three years later for more than double what I got them for, but replacing the components of the Legacy decks I let go of is going to cost as much as a semester of school and Modern is creeping behind it. I entered Magic with the experience of two other TCGs behind me and knew that it was going to be a money sink and that power cards carry a price. It was easier in 2009, but not now. But I'm over dropping $400 for a playset of lands and can't keep up anymore.

And thus the argument for Force at uncommon: gently caress single prices! When "land that gets other land" costs over twice as much as "the biggest creature who literally bends time and is immune to being murdered" something's terribly loving wrong.

I mean, gently caress, the most exciting thing they could do in M15 isn't printing a giant dragon that breathes fire and also lightning, but reprinting a hill with trees on it they already printed a decade ago.

The hell is wrong with this game?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I inscribe my opponent's hand into my DNA so that my children will be born knowing what the hand was.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Literally The Worst posted:

You know what's great? Having your stock devalued like a motherfucker because that 150 dollar card is now a twenty dollar card. It's literally nothing to do with being smart or not, having expensive things suddenly be worth less than you paid for them is bad.

On the other hand, a 150 dollar card suddenly becoming 20 means more people will buy it.

Supply & demand, yo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bugsy posted:

Yes the tokens are of the same rarity as the card that makes them. Voice is a mythic so the voice elemental token is rarer than say a Grove of Guardian elemental.

Can we have a Token Masters then so I can get some tokens for weirder poo poo?

Throw in some classics like 0/1 black Serf, 1/1 red Survivor and 3/4 red/green Stangg Twin, and call it a set.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The good thing about style guides is that the art is that the bad art is never too bad. Even the failures have a certain minimum.

I mean, when we talk about wanting old art styles back I don't think anyone means Freyalise's Charm.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Goblins tends to be named after the tribal theme it has in it.

IIRC Ninja-Bear-Delver looked like it had little way to capitalize on an advantageous game state besides swinging with 2/2s and hoping you could use Ninja of the Deep Hours enough times you never ran out of removal to lose your position.

Interesting idea, at least.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nehru the Damaja posted:

MtGox might as well go full circle to trading Magic cards again.

At least actual events will proceed price hikes and crashes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The difference here is that Robots is an awesome name. Like what's cooler:

"I have an affinity for things!"

"I have loving robots that will murder you!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Jace finally gives in to his true self and dons a giant robotic dragon body.

Breaking news: next block is set in Malatora.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BXCX posted:

Stranglehold buyout in progress, quick BUY BUY BUY!

I play Enchantress and I wouldn't play this in Enchantress.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stinky Pit posted:

I too wonder why a company who operates a massive organized play network as a means to motivate participants into constantly purchasing more of their product, won't allow people to participate with printed out free copies of their intellectual property.

I also wonder why the only way to obtain their intellectual property is from second-hand dealers so that they don't get any money from it. Either way, they don't get any money.

I also wonder why the most expensive intellectual property is the place your neat-rear end wizard dude sits his poo poo instead of the neat-rear end wizard spells.

I am unreasonably angry at land prices.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stinky Pit posted:

Wizards isn't interested in chasing those dollars. They make far more money creating and selling new product to an audience several orders of magnitude larger than the one that participates in the secondary market.

Then why do they so heavily support Modern, a format that can only be played if one participates heavily in the secondary market?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stinky Pit posted:

Because they are a good company who smartly creatures products to appeal to many types of customers and creates formats to similarly differentiate the "products" their organized play structure makes available?

And yet despite being able to print new cards and get money from the sales, they seem extremely skittish to do this in anything but the safest tests i.e. Modern Masters having a supply of Not Much, as though a lurch downwards in the secondary market would cause the game to collapse, despite the majority of players not needing these?

I need a loving Ken Burns documentary on Chronicles because nearly two decades later it's apparently still burning them. There's something really confusing going on and it means Savannahs cost $75 despite only being somewhat better than Temple Garden which is played more and also 1/8th the cost.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Modern and Legacy are "cheaper in the long run".*

*if you plan on playing the same deck for 5 years.

Just becuase I planned on playing Enchantress doesn't mean the metagame will let me. :negative:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BXCX posted:

Wizard Finance Protip of the Day: Hurry up or you'll miss out on the ongoing run on multi-format all-star Sewer Nemesis! buy bUY BUY!

Literally the only deck I have ever conceived playing this thing in is a Phenax EDH deck I made purely as an experiment about mythic rare UB mill legends so I'm mildly confused.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

What a Judas posted:

No no no no no no no no.

EDIT: We're very elitist about our miscuts. They absolutely MUST be a) showing another card or b) be something expensive to begin with.

You better not be dissin' my boy Wauki you hear. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tharizdun posted:

Vs. System

It was also the only card game with Fantastic Fun, and every deck I play in Magic is me attempting to match the joy of passing around the flamethrower.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Data Mining is a totally different :can: than bitcoins, they're not related at all.

W-what if it's doing both?! :tinfoil:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

There's other Leonin in the art. :colbert:

Four of them, for a total of 6 figures.

Congregation at Dawn Twice. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

Very good for EDH, though.

No seriously, make a landfall deck and see how it goes.

I have never been so loving sick of Craterhoof Behemoth and Avenger of Zendikar high-fiving all over my life total before my brother picked up Karametra as a Commander.

You know, when Elesh Norn isn't piledriving my board position into mush.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

Try Curse of Exhaustion or some other stuff like that.

I play mono-red. If the answer isn't dealing 3 damage to target creature or player it tends to be out of my reach.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LordSaturn posted:

I guess I was imagining a no-basic-lands Karametra EDH, which really defeats the purpose of Karametra now that I think about it.

The deck in question usually had only its duals and sometimes a gaea's cradle or gavony township for nonbasics and an unpleasantly large pile of forests that Blood Moon doesn't even touch.

But really since my deck is Krenko, Mob Boss, I just need to play more goblins and win before the Elesh Norn drops and makes all the goblins die.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

tzirean posted:

And there's the card all the Enchantress players have asked for:

Now, all the Enchantress players explain why this isn't the card they have asked for!

Doesn't have Hexproof; can't windmill slam Eldrazi Conscription on to it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

lovely place on the mana curve.

I could play Moat or a one-two punch of RiP and Energy Field, or I could play this 2/2 that does nothing to stop me from getting murdered!

I like all the Enchantments that help Enchantress in this Enchantment block like

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Constellation is Allies For Enchantments.

Hey, unlike Allies or Splice, they didn't demand an obscure type they'll never print again for it to work.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

I could see Squelching Leeches seeing play, but it's not a good card.

Anyone remember if Korlash, Heir to Blackblade saw play? This thing is basically a bad Korlash.

Korlash saw play because of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

Also because his Grandeur Ability was pretty relevant in control mirrors every matchup,

Yeah, that too. Being able to slap down 2 more swamps was a pretty important part of Korlash, because he could ramp you into Angel of Despair or Akroma while also giving himself +2/+2.

Squelching Leeches is decent, I guess, but I don't see it getting much of anywhere because it's a dumb body. Fate Unraveller from last set's better.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

uggy posted:

Remember when dungrove elder didn't see that much play and had hexproof and cost one less?

And it got to pal around sexily with Primeval Titan who had nothing better to fetch than Forests after Kessig and Inkmoth were down.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A 4/6 for 5 that's at least mild removal when it comes in. It clears the board of Master of Waves and his tokens and makes your other enchantment dudes generate extra value.

Me likey.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LordSaturn posted:

There aren't yet, but there's no reason there couldn't be, and it's a pretty inexpensive form of future-proofing. The only enchantable thing that isn't an object is a player, so that covers it all.

Magic's rules say I'm not an object, I'm a human being.

How existentially gratifying. :unsmith:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

uggy posted:

I cast fireball for 20 want to play again?

I imagine it would have X cards banned for obvious reasons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sade posted:

This templating is way off. It should read "Topless Men Brigade's power and toughness are each equal to the number of topless men in the art of permanents you control."

Also that type line should read Creature - Beefcake. Beef Cake makes it read like it's a beef and also a cake.

Drop Cavern of Souls naming BEEF. Chosen type for Adaptive Automation is BEEF.

I don't see the problem.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Korak posted:

:f5: Brian Kibler's website for his exclusive on Pharika.

Who do I F5 for Athreos because I wanna build his EDH deck already.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Where's Athreos don't make me wait for Athreos like this.

All I've been waiting for all week is Athreos. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Seems like a niche sideboard card but lord knows I can't begrudge one of those.

• Locked thread