Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Kind of late to this, but I like how the flavor behind In Garruk's Wake seems to basically just be "Garruk came over and murdered -everything- you cared about." Specifically Garruk with his axe cutting through a bunch of heroes and monsters and gods and planeswalkers, just to clear a path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Zorak posted:

The Chain Veil or his hat. One of those two things.

Is Garruk's helmet a card? I think his axe is...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Everblight posted:

Because of Hana Kami and Sensei's Divining Top, there are games of Kamigawa Block Constructed that still have not ended (they went to 5 turns during the tournament in 2004)

I understand sensei, but what does Hana Kami do that makes games last forever?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Bugsy posted:

I was going to say half of Momentous fall isn't bad for half the cost, but then I read it was a sorcery.

It is the better half of momentous fall though... You can't generate value off a doomed creature, but this is kind of 2 mana draw 3, which is nice?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

His role as Guildpact is kind of hard to demonstrate in a planeswalker that only specializes in one color.

Perhaps when he becomes a multicolored walker we'll see some actual diverse and interesting Jace Things

I refuse to believe Jace can be interesting.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Zorak posted:

Whoaaaaaaah.

This makes me realize how much I want an artifact instant or sorcery... Also, did convoke originally say "Your creatures can help cast those spells"? That sounds kind of silly and cute to me. Izzet artifact deck with gablins tinkering on a giant robot.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
How does the new wording on convoke work with sunburst creatures? Is it "not at all" because mana isn't spent, or is the convoked mana "used" for the casting?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
OH! another thing, do multiple instance of convoke stack or would it be that, since you can only pay the cost (tapping a creature) once, you couldn't benefit from it?

I wasn't around for old rav (I vanished between old mirrodin and innistrad) so convoke is kinda new to me.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Something like...

2BGG

4 loyalty

+1 Destroy target creature you control and target creature you don't control. (Fighting "to the death!")
0 Garruk [~] deals damage equal to his loyalty to target creature or planeswalker. (Garruk just chopping people and creatures down)
-6 Garruk [~] deals damage equal to his loyalty to all creatures and planeswalkers you don't control. (Usually the same as his sweeper, but interrupt-able, and also possibly repeatable, though not likely)

Not sure how loyalty works with regards to resolutions there, but it could be -X and deals X damage, but that has the negative side effect of making him a 5 mana flamewave.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Woapalanne posted:

Northjawhatk: LotDR isn't really Liliana, either. :/ Liliana's a necromancer, not a swampologist.

I think Liliana is more about POWER! than necromancy, and more swamps means more mana means stronger and bigger spells? That's how I'd rationalize it anyway.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Wow, I seriously didn't realize at all there were 45 Planeswalkers currently printed. Just had a huge nostalgia trip to before Lorwyn was coming out when the first image they released of Liliana with her head popping out from the frame and every idiot on MTGS saying that it could never be a new card type and Tarmogoyf was just kidding.

edit- I can't find the thread (I think it was a generic tournament thread or something where they previewed it), but here is the image for those of you who came in after Lorwyn. This was the first image we ever saw of a Planeswalker:

How long was it until people put together the anagram of her name? Was in explained by the developer in the revealing media?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Kraus posted:

I'm studying for my L1 currently, and while reading through the IPG, I came to the section on improper randomization.

Does anyone know the correct number of riffle shuffles needed for a 40, 60, or 200 card deck? This number isn't anywhere in any judging documents and if being part of a judge is to educate, we should know this.

Edit: I guess 100 too, since EDH people exist.

For 40, 4. For 60, 5. Not 200, 240 since I assume you mean battle of wits? Make 4 stacks of 60 and riffle them, then mix them around. do each one internally twice then cross them over twice between each set (assuming a net, that would be 10 riffles)
For edh you want to do it 8 times.

That said, by riffle do you mean "sort of just pushing them together" or bridge shuffling them, or is riffling where you solitaire them out randomly? Not sure what that word means... My estimates go off a bridge shuffle since I don't value any of my cards since they are all worthless.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Kraus posted:

Yeah, I did mean 240 or 250 for Battle of Wits. The wincon number popped into my head first. Do you have the math for this? Could you PM it to me?

Sorry, there's no math. I based it on how many times I have to shuffle a deck before a test hand looks different than the "1st" hand, that is, at least 6 of the first 10 cards drawn are different.
This is of course not scientific at all and is very biased.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So I figured that Avacyn and Ob Nix are from Innistrad and Zendikar respectively. I think Yisan is from Shandalar because...big insects? and Jalira looks like she's from Ravnica because she has a chair. Wouldn't that mean the Red Legend would be from Theros, or am I assuming wrong there?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Did a count, retroactively with the help of mythic spoiler, of planes that feature art of characters sitting down on things meant to be sat down on (i.e. lounging on the side of a rock or cliff doesn't count.)

Theros: 2
Ravnica: (new) 9 Mostly Orzhov. Clearly, chairs are exceedingly expensive.
Innistrad: 2 (surprised me, thought there would be more smug vampires/demons)
Mirrodin: (new) 1
Zendikar: 0
Alara: Maybe 1? The chairs are so heavily implied in Architects of Will...
Lorwyn/Shadowmoor: 0 Despite an impressive number of seated characters, they all opted for a natural item (stumps or rocks)
Ravnica (Old): 4
Kamigawa: 1
And I am too tired to go further back and look through more cards...

Incidentally, I am not sure which set Shandalar was supposed to be the setting of?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Banding was removed because its a niche ability of nearly zero relevance in constructed with a bunch of oddness like how it interacts with shadow or unblockable creatures. It is just too complex for too little, not that it isn't easy enough to explain compared to other parts of magic.

I think it's something like "banded creatures are like one creature, and let the attacker choose how all damage is assigned"?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Okay so...
T1 Mana dork
T2 two creatures, mana dorks optional
T3 Xenagos + Satyr
T4 Xenagos mana to play chain veil, Hard cast Ral zarek
T5, Satyr + Chain Veil + Ral Zarek on the veil and an opponent's permanent, Xenagos mana ramp for 5, chain veil. Repeat until you have infintie-ish mana and all of your opponent's permanents are tapped down. Xenagos and Ral zarek have infinte Loyalty, you have infinte mana and infinte turns, which you don't need because Ral zarek has infinte lightning bolts.

Is a thing that could happen with RUG? Are there any good RUG legendary creatures to use as EDH generals?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

Assuming that you do all this in the same turn, your number of turns from Ral Zarek are actually bounded since you only get one extra (with which you would use another +1) Ral activation every time you +1 with him. It's even possible to get 0 extra turns.

You could just win with infinite 2/2 satyrs though.

Edit: Nevermind, I get it. Infinite 2/2s with haste when your opponent has no mana works though.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 2, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I am a flavor nerd, and just found out each of the legends from the commander 2013 run has a little bio in the info pamphlet that comes with the decks. I don't want to spend $90 on the white, red, and green centered decks, but I was wondering if there was a place I could read the blurbs on-line?

Also, are the red and green ones bad? They're the only ones I can still find anywhere... Marath and Prossh seemed pretty cool, Prossh especially since he can win in 3 swings?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Thank you!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

En Fuego posted:

I just confirmed with Matt Tabak via Twitter that Nissa + Ral Zarek + Chain Veil is infinite. Of course this means that we need to goon construct the bestest RUG deck ever to durdle with!

So is new Nissa better for that than Xenagos, or is it just that her mana is more reliable?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
The Thallid Bar for Fun Guys (and gals) is my favorite.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Nameless Race has the best creature type IMO.

That's also a surprisingly playable creature for something non-modern.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

He probably skipped the white card clause, yeah?

YUP! Wow, nevermind. 4 mana and X life for an X/X with no evasion or protection is pretty reasonable... I guess as a side board, it can reasonably be expected to be a 4 mana 6/6 that hits you for 6? This seems like Black's version of Wood Elemental...

I want a cycle of bad cards with steep, silly costs for X/X creatures

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

Plains aren't white permanents.

It counts cards in the graveyard too. One or two instants in the yard, along with 2 creatures on board make this a hill giant with downside, that is literally only playable if your opponent is in white, and only worth it if they are monowhite. Competing with Wood Elemental by virtue of having a use (miracle situation, he turns your life advantage into a 10/10 trampler) but relying on your opponent to do a specific thing (be monowhite) instead of letting you try to make a deck that works with it. (...dredge?)

Unless there is a way to make creatures/ cards in the graveyard white? I mean, Mycosynth Lattice exists?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Zorak posted:

OH MY GOD

Is this better or worse than Sudden Spoiling?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Lol, what is this? I feel like I'm back in Ice Age.

Ah yes, this is the large trampling creature blue deserves. A bad one.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepy Owl posted:

I found a similar one a while ago

I don't like Garruk here... he seems kind of small?

Isn't Garruk bigger than Ajani?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Kasonic posted:

How can a thing look like a cosplayer if it only looks like itself ???

For example, Garruk looks like a cosplayer. Garruk is 8'2" and 480 pounds. That guy at the table is a 15 year old wearing his weird uncle's bear rug on his shoulders. I think Jace looks fine, but I thought Chandra's hair is only supposed to be fiery when she's doing crazy pyromancer stuff? It makes it seem like a wig which supports Cosplayer.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Garruk's stupid huge: 7'10 and 450 lbs. Ajani is just a sizeable, overmuscled human at 6'6 and 250 lbs.

...I think you have those mixed up, also I checked his DotP bio thing and Garruk is listed at 8'2". Ajani is not in the game like that though...

EDIT: oh, wait, the Ajani numbers are right and ajani is in the game like that. It's just calling ajani human threw me off...

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 4, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

D14 - latest information - gives my numbers for them both.

Ah, I was going by 2013. I guess Garruk shrunk down a bit between games? That still makes the picture weird... Tiny Garruk.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Illusory Ooze 2UG

2/5

When Illusory Ooze becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it.
If this card would leave the battlefield by another effect, return it to the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.

Would that work?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

jassi007 posted:

They hate protection and would not have it work as is, if things were different. I doubt they ever intend to keyword an ability as complex or more complex as protection again.

Protection doesn't feel that complex though. It's just Damage, Enchanted/Equipped, Blocked and Targeted right? Or is there something else there? Indestructible seems harder to understand to me...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Stinky Pit posted:

Magic's core audience isn't anyone posting in this thread and they struggle with things like Trample and First Strike.

...Core audience? This isn't really pokemon though. I'd think the "core audience" would catch on to any of the keywords pretty quickly?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ramos posted:

On the anti-sweeper clause, the easiest way I can see it happening in a game with rules as they are currently written is:

Indestructible

Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice ~. (Indestructible does not stop it from dying.)

The two big ones to get around are All is Dust and Final Judgement which call for Sacrifice or exile. There are no creatures to hose exile, and very few (I can think of one?) that guards against sacrifice.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Bonus posted:

Ummm Supreme Verdict + Stifle???
But yeah, even if it is interesting to think about how such a card would fit within the rules, I think that making cards like that would make the game less interesting instead of more.

...Is that an idea to kill Norin the wary? Because it doesn't kill Norin the wary is the thing. Norin is cool like that.

He does die to On board wraths/pingers like Neyvinraal's disk or prodigal pyromancer.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

These die to any sort of instant speed wrath. Rout, fated retribution, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

E: Or, you know, anything that kills lands. Like Armageddon. Or the nuclear option Obliterate.

Worldfire is a good wrath.

Play red green ramp. Put down and guard Thragtusk, then cast worldfire.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

homerlaw posted:

Please stop trying to design such a bad card.

I don't think a card that can dodge sweepers is a bad card. There is already a counter to basically everything else in the game, why should sweepers be sacred?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is Batterskull really a good card? I mean, Legacy is the format where basically everything is legal right? It just seems weird that a 5 mana 4/4 would see much play. (I know its appeal is also the vigilance/lifelink and not actually being a creature, but still?)

Or is it just that It is one of the better equipments to tutor with a Stoneforge mystic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Entropic posted:

pretty sure it needs a square for 'is basically a time walk'

Also consider Birds of Paradise?

Boxman posted:

I believe there is a 13 year old at the semi finals of this SCG open.

He's playing burn. :allears:

EDIT: rules question. Is there a functional difference between the templating of sulfuric vortex ("if a player would gain life, they gain no life instead") and skullcrack ("players can't gain life").

One is a replacement effect, and the other stops an effect? So I think that if there's a card that says "whenever you gain life, you gain a poison counter" then sulfuric vortex would give you delicious poison, and Skullcrack would stop it?

• Locked thread