Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Grizzly Bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

Silklash Spider. I don't know why. Maybe it's because she murders the sky itself.

I like seeing everyone's pet cards, this is fun. :)

I also used to love Phage the Untouchable. Such a fun concept...and I lost a few times having her come back under my control not from my hand. Gotta love that double edged sword.

And everyone loves Wonder when you have it and hates Wonder when the enemy has it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Brimaz is already down to 25 bucks the day of release... This is no Voice folks.

Was he higher? I thought he was sitting around $25 on TCG preorder this past week. I am assuming as supply goes down (everyone opening boxes right now) that the price may go up a bit.

I am hoping NOT as I want a playset for my W/R Murder deck...

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Thank god I'd like a set without shipping $100 on it

So here's a question. If I get a Brimaz in my box (crossing fingers) do I sell it now and buy what I need later when the price drops? I'm assuming it is going to go down in price but do you think it will hit sub $15 within the month?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Opened the first 9 packs of my booster box and my pulls were (in no particular order):

Phenax
Flame-Wreathed Phoenix
Temple of Malice
Gild
Fated Intervention
Silent Sentinal
Arbiter of the Ideal
Forgestoker Dragon
Fated Infatuation

Not bad. I am 25% of the way in to the box and will open more when I get home. The only thing I REALLY wanted in that group was the Phenax...the rest will more than likely be trade fodder.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Sweet. I stopped by shop to check out what they were pricing some of the Born of the Gods cards at. Grabbed 4 packs for kicks and pulled Arbiter of the Ideal, Champion of Stray Souls, Eidolon of Countless Battles, and Mogis God of the Slaughter. Also had 2 Bile Blights which I asked the shop owner how much they were selling for and he replied $1 a pop. Sheesh...

A guy had bought a box and he was straight up cracking all the packs in the store. He had Brimaz, foil Xenagos, Mogis, Karametra, all three temples out in front of him and had about a third of the box to go

I'm gonna end up breaking the rest of em open here within the hour. I will post the rest of the rares/mythics I get after. Hopefully I get a few more mythics to make this box worth it.

I know I have 1 or 2 Bile Blights sitting at home in the packs I've opened. I opened 4 archtypes so far...2 green, a red and a black. I am hoping that I open 1 or 2 of the blue archtype to use.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Kilazar posted:

I guess I just don't get the whole metaand only playing "top 10"s. Or looking up decks online to play locally. I just play out of my collection and what I can trade. I did make a purchase for pack rats, but that was for my wife and a crazy rat deck I want to make. She's getting two and I'm getting two. And we have had no luck in cracking any open.

Other than that I usually just trade, and build decks out of what I own. So out of what I own, the specter is kind of a power house 3 drop. And so far he has done me good paired up with my shadow alley courtizen.

Guess I'm just old. Back in my day there was no "interwebs" to look up stuff. You played with what you bought, no one really knew what was or was not rare unless you were lucky enough to have a friend that could afford both Scrye AND new magic cards. The meta was very local, and not super influenced on a State/national/world level. The local meta was vastly different than the meta at your cousins house in another state. And by god I had to walk up hill both ways lugging a 25 pound bag of magic cards to get too and from a tournament IN THE SNOW 10 miles!

That last bit is actually semi true. I seriously did that minus the over exaggeration. It wasn't snowing but there were a ton of hills. And we only walked one way. My friend dragged me to my first tournament EVER (it was star wars LCG, but I brought magic too) in Colorado Springs. I lived over by the AFB, and the tourney was at a mall WAAAY across town. My dad took us to the tourney and my friend SWORE he had a ride home for us. Come midnight, the tourney is over and his ride didn't show. I think there never was a ride cause he kept calling on the payphone without using any money.. He said he knew how to spoof the phone or some poo poo.

So we walked home. Eventually getting picked up by a cop and given a ride home. After walking about 4 miles I think.

Man that brings back some good memories. So on that note. Post your best up hill both ways in the snow magic story!

That is largely true, but the internet has helped some in the availability, access and cost of cards as well. Prior to such a strong presence online getting cards was more difficult so if there was only 1 of said card in 10 miles of you it would be justified to sell that card at a much larger mark up. Today you can go to TCGPlayer and have upwards of 20 stores nationwide competing for your business on ONE card. Its nuts.

Although I do share your feelings on using "top 10 decks". When I show up to a tournament and see the same 3 decks over and over and over again being played by teenagers it is rather aggrevating. Did I come up with the Murderhorse concept? Nope. Have I changed and played and experimented with a couple guys here to make my own variation to the local meta? Yep. Most people I play have a solid deck that doesn't change as they figure that is what wins...its even more hilarioius when it doesn't.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Complete Sets List on Starcity

You may be able to find what you are looking for there.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Kilazar posted:

Thanks!

Can I get some recommendations on fun missed sets? I have some Alara (friend and I bought a box on release. But didn't actually get to play it)so I already know I'm going to visit it. I know I want to do the newer bits of the ice age block because I liked original Ice age and never got to see the follow up sets. I originally got out around Tempest. Popped back in for a touch of Urza's, then dropped back out until Innistrad. Then again, dropped out at Avacyn Restored.

I've always loved Odyssey and Onslaught personally...

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Kilazar posted:

I can believe this. Just brewing through my collection and putting together a deck out of my stuff last month I came drat close to the Top 10 black devotion. I only found out when my friend asked me if I netdecked it. So I looked it up and I was running slightly different monsters. But other than that my deck looked very similar in style. I was rocking my single desecration demon, 4 gary's, 2 erobos gods, the whip and my lonely NVS. As similar cards with similar goals. The rest of the deck added some win conditions outside of devotion gary bombs and my new one cost mvp the Shadow Alley Denizen. I would like to think that had I some pack rats eventually I would have pushed my deck closer to a top performer naturally. Mostly because this is not rocket science.

As someone in this thread or the deck building thread said to me a week or 2 ago. There are only so many combos and cards that can go into a deck. By now someone somewhere has made or will make the deck you are using. At this point in the game you either keep what you have and play for fun, OR you buy the tweak cards to put in your deck to push you into competitive gaming.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I understand what you mean. If you care about your playgroup you'll play to their level even if you are also building stuff beyond the kitchen table. Build that dumb GW voracious wurm lifegain deck and your casual friend will be more impressed by your 15/15 wurm than by your t3 modern stormdeck combo killing machine.

Nothing demonstrates this point more than playing a Nekusar EDH deck with friends...we had a 5 man game going and I got a perfect storm of playing Bloodchief Ascension turn 1, Liliana's Caress turn 2 and on turn 4 I had the counters on Ascension to play Wheel and Deal. The hate that turned my way IMMEDIATELY following that play was actually hilarious. Nothing grabs attention like doing roughly 20 damage to every player AND gaining over 30 health with 1 card on turn 4. Going forward I think I will play my Prossh deck that will hopefully get less hate from the guys that didn't put the time and money into their EDH decks like I have...

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Shattergang Brothers

I bought the premade Commander 2013 deck with these guys in it, and I can tell you it is a hoot, hollar and blast to play this gimmick. Will it beat a Captain Sisay deck? Probably not. But in the premade form the deck came in I definitely had a lot of fun playing with the Shattergang Brothers.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I NEED THIS CARD!

Goblin Assassin, Planar Chaos and Molten Birth. Just flippin coins for fun.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Balon posted:

The best Goblin Deck Commander is Purphoros.

http://deckstats.net/decks/3554/64920-purphoros-commander

Ugh I hate people that use Gods for Commanders.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

oryx posted:

Oh man, reddit surfaced the most obvious cheat ever caught on a FLG's twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/themeadery/b/502411769

Starts at minute 49:00 when the right-hand player starts resolving primal command. So obvious it's just mind boggling.

How wouldn't you catch that? And why wouldn't you shuffle/cut someone's deck when they finish?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

Then why did he look at the top card of his deck so considerately before he flipped it over? He knew drat well what it was, and it's not like he said out-loud, "I'm gonna dig for a D-sphere because I want to keep practicing".

Also, cheating to practice against nut draws has to be statistically insignificant, right? I mean, the number of possible opening hands is huge, and I'm sure the odds of having your best opening against someone else's best opening aren't worth preparing for.

If thats the case why be secret about it? Just take the card out, set it aside, shuffle and then put it on top. Why try to be sneaky about it?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

whydirt posted:

I'd mix at least a few Theros packs in with those BotG ones. A 50/50 mix would be best, but even a pack per pool would be better than nothing.

I just did a full BNG draft and second this. There just isn't enough in BNG to do ANYTHING unique. You will end up with some of the jankiest crap you've ever seen.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Personally, a pack apiece of M14 + Theros + BotG sounds like a good mix to add to a Premade deck.

Before I say anything else, I just want to clarify something: Extended as you and I know it is largely dead and has been replaced with Modern, which is basically Type 1/Legacy in that it's an 'eternal' format (cards don't rotate out with sets like Standard/Extended) but it starts from Mirrodin block-onward rather than, well, Alpha. :v: There are a number of cheap but effective decks (like Restore Balance) or variants of decks (like Living End) in Modern.

As for Standard, Red Deck Wins is always viable, though the best version at the moment is probably Mono-Red Devotion, which plays like a mono-red sligh/aggro deck but likes having permanents out to increase devotion so as to make stuff like Nykthos and Fanatic of Mogis that much more effective. The most expensive cards in the deck (Boros Reckoner and Stormbreath Dragon) can be replaced with cheap options like Archetype of Aggression and...I don't know, some other big dragon? Maybe the one from m14? :ohdear: Another cheap option the goons and I have been working on for a few months now is MURDERGOATS.dec (you'll notice my avatar, as of this post, references to it and actually links to my TappedOut page for the deck; another piece of advice: use TappedOut), where even the most 'expensive' version of the deck can be assembled for less than $100, which is a steal compared to the Planeswalker-laden control decks it tends to tear apart.

Outside of Standard and Modern, other options include Pauper, where you are only allowed to use commons/cards that were at one point printed at common (which allows for some very interesting brews ranging from burn to tribal to control to combo, et cetera).

You can probably get away with using the Forgestoker Dragon as a viable "dragon". It isn't "great", but getting the foils people trade in after buying the intro decks should be as cheap as $3-4 each.

Heck you can PROBABLY start out by just buying an intro deck to start into Standard, and build from that. You pick a color you like, play with the intro deck, replace/upgrade a few things, and before you know it you have a haflway decent deck. As far as a budget goes the intro decks are like $15 and the few upgrades you make to start playing and making sure you enjoy this would probably run you $25-30. If that goes well and you want to dump more into the hobby then you can buy some of the more "money" cards to really strengthen the deck.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Samael posted:

How is MURDERGOATS in this new standard format now that drown in sorrow and midrange decks are going to be much more common? I am really worried about Xenagos and the ability to give trample to all the fatties to rush past all the 1/1 chumpers. Has anyone thought of using the 1RR red archetype as a sideboard option against GR? It could be used to avoid all the trample damage, provide devotion for purphoros and help him trample through potential blockers.

I think bhsman said he went 3-2 and I went 4-1 last week. My only loss was against a full red aggro deck. Things just happened too fast for me to shut them down, but the few little changes he made from last week to this week are what I will change as well...add another Mizzium Mortar and have a couple Drown in Sorrow available. In the early game when Red drops those 2/2 creatures that you can clear 2-3 before you start pumping out tokens it is really nice to have a Drown in Sorrow to level the field a bit and kill their ramp Burning Trees.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 12, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do people use software or a website or anything to make decks?

Typically I use TappedOut.net which is currently down...for whatever reason its been that way all day. I think a good chunk of us make decks that way because you can do it as a list which is easy and then on the right push the button to buy the deck and it prefills the cards into TCGplayer.com to buy them all really easy.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

R/W variant.
Name? Eidolon of Countless Goats

(Big Eidolons with Murder Investigation and Purphoros.)

If TappedOut was up I could show you my working list of my W/R Angel Horse (?) White Horse (?) gently caress it I miss Tymaret Horse (?)

Largely it's Assemble the Legion, Chained to the Rocks, Purphoros, Molten Birth, Young Pyromancer, Warleader's Helix, Magma Jet, Akroan Horse, Mizzium Mortars, Frostburn Weird, Pithing Needle and Brimaz.

Edit: Oh yea and Barrage of Expandables...

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 12, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

ManiacMatt posted:

As another possible way to take advantage of tokens, what are the thoughts on Sanguine Bond and Bubbling Cauldron. I just don't know what you would drop with it. But once they're on board, it's an 8 point life swing every token you sac. It's also late getting online. But just throwing that out there.

You could probably drop the Cauldron and use Trading Post which is already in the deck to achieve a similar effect.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

^^^^
Duress isn't terrible, but it's no Thoughtseize. They are a really solid investment because of modern. The price will almost certainly never go down.

This is like what I said when I was buying Hero's Downfalls...I kept saying "I can just get Doom Blade or Ultimate Price". Having played using both Hero's Downfall and the other options the difference is noticable. I bought Thoughtseize to keep in my sideboard for Murdergoat after I played with Duress...being able to get rid of creatures as well as anything that isn't a land is fairly noticable. Getting rid of a Burning Tree Emissary or Fanatic of Mogis BEFORE it hits the board will actually make you see the difference.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Eh, like Sanguine Blood I feel like the deck shouldn't go above 5 CMC unless there's a good reason (Trading Post is effectively 5 CMC already), and Goblin Rally just feels like a win more. Dropping a Molten Birth with Young Pyromancer out, dealing six, getting back, and playing it again in the same turn only requires a little bit of luck and one more mana for 12 damage and 6 tokens, and all without having to make room for new cards.

I still say the best thing is being able to cycle Tymaret because of the Legendary rule. In any normal deck he is really sub par, but in this deck he shines as a master of recurrence.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Block-recur-recast (2 damage via Purphoros) must be the most maddening thing you can do to someone with this deck.

Well, it would be if they understood what all your cards do none of them do :ssh:.

Oh I posted like a page back or so how I cast Tymaret, sacced a creature to put one back in hand, dropped Tymaret and then sacced a creature for 2 damage and my opponent swept and cried the whole rest of the night about the "gimmick".

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I'm going to post my answer here anyway.

Yes. Literally every time they ask me to play I say I'd rather not in varying levels of politeness. Everyone in the store knows my feelings on commander. I've progressed over the months from saying I'd prefer modern or standard but I guess I'll play one game to saying I don't particularly like commander and would rather play real Magic to an angry, resigned sigh because I know they're going to whine until I play. Unless I actually want to play, obviously.

Every time the regulars need another person to play, I get guilt tripped into playing and I have a miserable time because everyone takes it so seriously and nobody ever seems to have fun except me and the Dakkon guy, who cares even less than I do. I keep saying the regulars, but it's mainly the one guy; the Nekusar guy from above. The kind of guy who will Krosan Grip your Caged Sun you spent 8 turns saving up on a storage land for because you haven't found a third land all game. So no, I really don't feel the slightest bit of remorse for "ruining" one game if it finally got my point across that no, I don't want to play commander, and if I do, I'll say so. Especially when nobody was doing anything except slowly dying to Mogis and Nekusar damage anyway. There was a Steel Overseer army of probably 40 damage just sitting there because ??? for half the game.

And to be clear, these were all regulars who know exactly how I feel about commander and bug me until I play anyway. It wasn't some random kids with their Trostani and Lazav decks whose day I just decided to ruin. Aside from occasionally complaining about ridiculously long turns, like 5 minutes when he had 4 lands long, I was pretty much my usual self.

Edit: Unless some more people really need to tell me how terrible I am for not liking an unfun format of Magic or for getting guilt tripped into playing it, let's just agree that I accomplished my goal of not being bugged to play commander anymore, finally, and drop it.

They aren't playing Nekusar right...I average 15-20 damage to everyone on the table on turn 4-5 and then about the same on turn 6-7...

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The idea behind Clockwork Librarian is absolute insanity, and I hope they make more cards that interact with the actual process of draft. Drafting that card to exchange it for an extra spicy pack of cards later in the draft is just so cool.

Not sure how thats going to work on MODO though!

But heres the thing...If you use your Librarian you have to put him BACK in the pack, so the guy next to you can then take it and use it AGAIN. Imagine, since it is common, seeing 2-3 of these in a pod...it would cause so much confusion. Not to mention I can see people screwing up the card counts...because rear end holes exist.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Fox of Stone posted:

They are both appreciated cards in multiplayer and are uncommon.

I HIGHLY doubt they will reprint TNN. It is kind of strong outside multiplayer formats (the ones it is allowed in). Reprinting it would drop the price on it, and the C13 packs though...

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I also eagerly await the guy who puts his Cogwork back in to take a playable and ANOTHER Cogwork :getin:

...I am at a loss of words on the logic in this...I am sure there are dumb enough people to do it...but why are they playing Magic?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Death Bot posted:

For real, Mana Bases are the worst part of getting into any format in this game. I get that they're printed at rare so they don't influence the limited formats, but I've talked to plenty of people whose biggest hurdle getting into Modern or Legacy is the fact that in even a moderately competitive deck you can spend hundreds on mana bases.

I forget about this most of the time because I play limited more often, but recently my buddy bought a single Underground Sea for the price I spent on my entire latest standard deck (Murdergoats). This price can also be described as "as much as I spent on my EDH precon and on the one I bought for my girlfriend as a present." drat.

Considering I just went out and bought Shock and Scry lands for my Murdergoats deck yesterday I can completely relate. The rest of the cards I have in the deck don't cost as much as those 8 lands! I traded in my Foil Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth last week. Those were $30 a piece and I had 4 in my Legacy deck...

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

jhorphear posted:

Thanks!, that's one of the builds I found earlier. I think this deck would be great for multiplayer. I enjoy pissing people off more than anything in multiplayer, and killing them before they even get to draw sounds divine.

I have this one as well. If I recall this was from January.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

This is why...Florida sucks...

The murdered guy DEFINITELY looks like a stereotypical gamer too...There are at least 2 guys at my LGS that look like that guy...

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Posting this here so I can find it again when Herald and SotL make it under $1 (Herald is very close already)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568408&userid=107192#post425273499

I am glad it is taking at least a little time...I managed to unload 5 spirits for $5/each.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

It makes you lazy and creates a bad habit if you ever plan on playing at higher RELs. Why not just create good habits that won't punish you later?

Because after FNM I want to go drinking...if I spend an over all 3 minutes per game writing down hands and play 3 games per match at 5 matches in a night I am effectively losing the equivalent of 2 beers being drunk or 45 minutes...and that isn't including my opponent. It speeds things up for everyone involved. It isn't a matter of being lazy...it is a matter of convenience. Everyone seems to confuse and combine the two concepts.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

What is the difference between that and literally finishing a game, whipping out your phone and texting what cards and combos a player used? If the answer is none, effectively and there isn't then what is there to debate?

As opposed to texting someone what you just saw a player use? :psyduck:

Or take a photo of your hand written notes?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Playing at an event. Do Pack Rat tokens have the ability and count for devotion?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

For anyone interested, TappedOut is back online. I didn't quite realize how it nice it was to dick around with deck ideas on it until I couldn't use it for nearly a week. :ohdear:

Yea I have been sitting on a budget from my tax return to build that Tajic EDH deck and couldn't access your card list until it came back online!

Smashing Link posted:

I used to love Standard but there's only so many seasons you can go through chasing rares until you start feeling a sucker. Also I have a lot less free time than I used to, so the eternal formats are easier to keep up with.

This is why I enjoy Murderhorse/goat/farm. It is cheap enough I can play it, but fun enough that I don't feel bad if it isn't a top 8 deck.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

MMD3 posted:

so what's the best way to turn this Brimaz I opened into thoughtseizes or desecration demons for my mono-black devotion deck?

I have yet to trade cards w/ anyone but friends at the local gaming shop or online. Wondering what I should be trying to get for Brimaz in trade?

I sold a playset of Brimaz and 10 tokens for $162 on ebay this weekend. Seems like a great deal considering the TCG going rate.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Its time for best non-full art basics!

Swamp and Island, no contest ladys and gents.

Personally I love this Plains art, and it does have a full art option as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Nibble posted:

This post made me go look up what prints she has for sale, which reminded me that this art exists and owns and was sadly wasted on a junk card:

Jeez that is a beautiful picture. I love the magnification/xray in the corner.

• Locked thread