Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
For casual/EDH type shenanigans, it's definitely Yosei. He's an awesome white dragon that flies and fights well, and he has a sick ability when he dies. Just an awesome card.

For more competitive play, it's Lingering Souls without a doubt. I made that card the centerpiece of my Standard decks from the minute it was spoiled. I won many matches just going turn 2 Intangible Virtue, turn 3 Souls, and that was the deck I really learned the fundamentals of more competitive magic on. Now I really want to play Modern mostly so I can cast Lingering Souls again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Excellent. I have a bunch of the components for B/ W tokens, it's. Deck I really want to build for modern, and this should fill it out very nicely.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I kind of like Jace as a collossal dork.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Wow, that was an intense game 2.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Korak posted:

Ari Lax looks like he's gonna crush that B/W guy. Come on Top 8! :fh::fh::fh:

"This whip won't be a big deal to brad because he's at 18 life.Drawing a million cards"

loving Sphinx's Revelation, man.

Edit: Ari Lax! Nooo!

Well, several people from where I went to school and still have a lot of friends are in top 8, including the guy playing that sick Bant List.

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 23, 2014

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Is there any native way to screenshot in MODO? I just drafted an insane Cube ramp deck and I want to show it off.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks.

3-0'd the draft super easily. Lost one game to a Linvala with Sword of War and Peace on it after going Elf into Bloodbraid Elf cascading into Shardless Agent Cascading into Fyndhorn Elves. I got to ultimate Kiora twice.

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 24, 2014

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Doing another Cube draft with a much worse Naya aggro deck, still managed to 3-0.

Watching my opponent Oust my Bloodbraid Elf with an active Domri Rade in play left me feeling almost bad for him. There is literally no worse use of that card that I can think of.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
About the SCG stream: OK, Sheets just won, so I'm sure he knows better than me, but is there a reason for not hanging onto Flusterstorm until his opponent actually casts the Tendrils of Agony and countering copies? Or can the opposing deck generate enough mana to pay for it/flashback Past in Flames and do it again?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Born gameday was March 1st. You've been at your LGS for 5 weeks? Sounds like a wild event...

Control mirrors, man.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
And now it looks like I'm going to have to make R/W heroic, too. Good thing I tried before and thus have Anax and Cymede as well as Boros Charms. Shame the mana requirements are too intense to really support Naya, Selesnya charm and Unflinching Courage are really good.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, that was my thought. Godsend will instantly turn any topdecked creature, no matter how small, into a decent threat. Enchantments are nice, but Equipment is a lot more substantial. And it even plays well with bestow- after a verdict, you'll have the spear and a man to hold it.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
A pity Launch the fleet doesn't have the best synergy with Phalanx Leader, but that is still one hell of an excellent trick that is getting in my White Heroic decks.

Edit: also I'm sure it's an Illiad reference, which is pretty sweet.

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 11, 2014

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Thinking more on Launch the Fleet, I suspect it's going to be probably something of a two-of in decks that want it.

It triggers Heroic on the cheap, and gives you a nice reward on top of that-probably 2 or 3 soldiers that give you a good board presence and protection from edicts.

I also want to live in magical christmasland and cast it on both Brimaz and Hero of Bladehold together.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Haven't seen this guy yet. The flavor text says, roughly,
"The celebrated warchiefs of Clan Pheres fight with the strength of minotaurs and the wisdom of sphinxes."

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Elyv posted:

Why is rules text in English and the flavor text in French?

Presumably the card was spoiled in French and people only bothered to translate the rules.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Jabor posted:

Can we get an original source instead of a photoshop? If it was just spoiled as text that's fine, but if there's a french card image floating around I think people would much rather see that than a fan-made mockup.

Apologies, I just grabbed it from my facebook feed and didn't bother to hunt for the original.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The only issue is you're not going to get enough JOU-BNG packs in a draft or sealed to get a lot of the good centaurs. Trompers is the only really solid one anyway as I don't think Battlemaster is that good.

There are plenty of good Centaurs in draft at common, enough that I'm looking forward to drafting around them. Unfortunately, most are in Theros, but BNG has Swordwise Centaur and Tromper, and Theros has Nessian Courser, Nylea's Disciple, and Pheres-Band Trompers, which gets fantastic with Vigilance. A curve of Swordwise Centaur into Courser into Warchief into Trompers is not going to lose many games.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Elyv posted:

It's not aimed at competitive constructed either, it's aimed at more casual players. I guarantee you there's some people out there who are very excited by getting a lord for their centaur deck.

Dude who posted it on my Facebook feed was going nuts, in fact.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Are we expecting news from PAX anytime soon?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Is there anything in mono-black that doesn't kill creatures?

This dude kills Fiendslayer Paladin, too.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Yep, it'll trample over just fine.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Frank Karsten had an interesting U/B heroic deck that can do crazy things with a Pain Seer, hidden strings, and Springleaf Drum that might have a place for a few copies of the disciple.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, *Deicide*! I read "decide". New best flavor card, hot drat.

And words cannot convey how happy I am at the functional O-Ring replacement. I'm pretty much guaranteed to play white in some shape or form, and having access to that effect is huge. It's such a cure-all- "good for what ails ya" is how I describe it. It's probably a weakness to rely on the effect so much, but it still makes me very happy.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Mutavault isn't an enchantment.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Why not use Mogis for the Minotaur General?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Solidarity of Heroes really makes me want to keep trying G/W heroic even though I know it's futile. Still going to be insane in limited with Heroic dudes.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I played B/W tokens in standard and have been slowly getting pieces of it for Modern, so I'm honestly perfectly happy and can't wait to pick this up and have a real modern deck.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
A dude I knew at college a couple years ago did that. It was pretty fun. The box he had was about the size of an average cube, but I don't recall if he had every single big creature or what.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

vOv posted:

e: Dack Fayden confirmed for mill engine

OK, if I'm reading this right, he'll get protection from multiple colors if there are ties?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

For being the white-aligned god, Heliod is like the biggest dick. I mean, him and Thassa are just the worst.

Seriously. I love Heliod the card, because I love me some White Weenie, but this makes me not want to play him at all because gently caress that guy.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Jeez, Utter-Leyton was insanely close to stabilizing if he'd ever drawn that third land.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
That conspiracy is nice if you get it early and then can keep an eye out for a bomb to splash with it.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Does flying really push Quickling over the top? Deputy of Acquittals hasn't seen any play.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Elspeth should give her spark to Xenagos so he can escape, but more for our benefit because not seeing her ever again would be super rad.

What's it like having terrible opinions?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
You could try and find an actual Black Lotus!

(A friend of mine found this somewhere in Spain, I think.)

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I think this Ajani might be better than Mentor of Heroes.

I think the problem with this Ajani is the same as others- without support, he does nothing. Mentor of Heroes would dig for gas if you played him on an empty board, and boost his loyalty while doing so. I like his "put a loyalty counter on each other planeswalker you control", though, I think that's a really cool area of design they haven't explored yet.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The majority of the store floor is comics. I just realized they changed their store name (or I'm going senile). When I moved here it was "Little shop of comics and cards", now it's that without the two last words.

I really like the place, btw. So I was surprised by their response.

Scotch Plains, NJ? I used to go to FNM there when I lived nearby. It's a great little store, but I never did come down there for anything casual. As I recall, the "cash promo" thing of theirs is just a random promo from magic's past. They also regularly raffle off pieces of their From The Vault sets, which can be quite cool.

But I don't think the owners are really into magic much at all, so they really regard it as more of a side event. I'm surprised they don't allow casual play like that, though, since they have the space. I vaguely recall going down there once or twice for EDH on the weekends, though, but that was several years ago.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

That's the place. Like I said, I like the place. The friend question was hypothetical anyway, because I don't know anyone into magic atm.

You'll have to ask Rogue 7 (above) because the M15 pre-release is going to be the first time I go there for FNM (or first time I go to a FNM, for that matter).

Last time I went regularly (6 months ago, before I moved to Japan), there were usually around 14 people or so. 4 rounds, top 4 got prizes. Entry fee was 7 bucks and you got a pack for playing. The crowd was pretty casual-I was regularly competitive for prizes with decks I self-designed and invested minimally in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

Come'on man...Rita Skeeter? I'll leave you to hang your head in shame while you edit that fix.

As for Theros block, 90% of the magic I play is draft. The other 10% is the occasional sealed, momir or commander. I actually really liked 3xTHS. I have memories of constantly ending up with more than 23 playables. Then Born of the Gods came along and I remeber disliking the draft format alot less. I could never get inspired to work, and tribute was full of boring creatures. Journey was a little better, but I think if those 2 mechanics had been cut and we just changed tribute into more monstrous guys, and cut inspired to add a few more constellation and devotion creatures, the format would have benefited greatly.

This is about where I stand. Triple Theros was drat good to draft, and BNG was alright, but honestly Journey has disappointed me. It's hard to pick up the solid playables you need for any sort of deck with synergy in it. Journey really needed a common bestow cycle. There just isn't enough in the first pack that synergizes with stuff in the other two. BNG had a bit of this problem.

It's a drat shame, because Theros synergized well.

• Locked thread