Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
When this thread gets retired whatever you do don't make it Fallen Empires or I'll be forced to quit posting in it for 10 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You can use the M15 announcement page as a template. I haven't figured out the substitution scheme yet though.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1401

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
e: welp, late and broke tables

e2: Have the card art for the librarian:

It's common :aaa:

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 13, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

^^^ why would you not just respond to the Merchant's ability like others have been saying
So that he doesn't have it in hand to play last after replaying everything else?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That signature thing is cool.

I can't believe in all these pages nobody pointed out the real reason they don't allow phones:

- Not everyone has one. Or as useful a one to another. Allowing a resource to some players creates an unfair advantage.
- Two, who is going to know what you're doing when you're messing around with your phone during a match? "Oh I was just referring to the photo of my opponent's hand I took five minutes ago." Nowadays phones can look up anything. Why would judges want to deal with that?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Promoted Pawn posted:

That this is in a thread about a trading card game is loving hilarious.

Check your privilege duder. Kids play. People all over the world play. You can play magic with next to no money if you stick to limited and can recycle your winnings.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm on vacation phone posting but has anyone caught up on pro tour tech scuttlebutt? Twitter or QS or whatever?

I'd like to be ahead of any price spikes, frankly.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

The new Night's Whisper art is much better than the original. It's hard to tell from the small picture, but I think I like the new Remand art better also.

Here's full size:

:geno:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Literally The Worst posted:

Because "bad" is a subjective thing based partly on the level you regularly play at and it turns out that dudes who play around the kitchen table might evaluate poo poo a bit differently from people who post trip reports on MURDERGOATS and poo poo.

Yeah that's fair, but I can't help thinking in the back of my head that those people are wrong. You know?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Do you ever fantasize about being not a grade-schooler with means in 1996 and getting moxes and dual lands super cheap before people know what rares were good, or even before magic was going to be a thing?

Well that was us, collectively, with modern, between 24 and up to about 6 months ago. Fetches were cheap, pods and splinter twins and fastlands and collonades and all sorts of poo poo were cheap. I got fulminators and chords and remands for cheap.

People are turned off now but we just went through the golden age of modern pricing and it will never be the same again. I think lots of people's professed hate at the format and its prices is a projection of their own bad feelings for not recognizing this.

Now, if you've been into the game less than one year that is a completely different situation and I can totally understand.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Core sets are probably the safest place to do it, since anything super powerful will only be in standard for 15 months rather than up to 24. But you have to remember that the vast majority of cards released each year are new rather than reprints. It follows then that the proportion of cards to ever see a reprint will always trend downward.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:allears: reprint plus raredraft chat all in one day!

Just since we haven't beaten this horse to death yet, a few more cons of it are:

1) More open to player fraud. Sure I'll just put this first pick foil plainswalker into my deckbox and slide a replacement rare into my sideboard....

2) You can't drop, and neither can anyone else, since you have to relinquish your cards back to the pool then stick around for redraft time. Hope everyone played with sleeves tonight!

In other news, was anyone surprised by how little anything changed at the pro tour? I was expecting the format to be shaken up quite a bit more, but I guess it's hard to make a new deck that stands up to all the big players in the meta and also doesn't fold to all the random combo decks and bit players too.

vvvv lol talk about feelbads, yeah. gently caress redrafting. "but my pure draft experience uguuu"

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 1, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Saeku posted:

Being involved in a cheating investigation, even as a judge, is the opposite of everything that "fun" is.
Yup,

A friend was commiserating last night over beers about being DQed while in top 8 contention at a GP. It was Innistrad limited, and he was looking around the table to see if anyone had taken a first pick werewolf of import. Which if you played back then was a huge signal (mayor of avabruck, or especially bloodline keeper said stay out of that colour). Anyways at that moment Ben start put his hand way out in front of him and tilted the cards back, and they called him for cheating observing another player's hand.

They made him go in the back and write a statement. Months later he would hear back whether an additional investigation would later ban him. Just lovely all around for something he couldn't possibly have avoided.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

What a Judas posted:

Sounds like you play with some real shitheads.

Yeah seriously. Drink those tears with satisfaction, Mortimer.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All you people expecting fetches in standard are just wishful thinking. I'll :toxx: anyone who cares to that the Zendikar fetches will not appear in a M15 or the next block of expert level expansions. They may appear in ancillary product but I am sure they will not end up in standard.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Why? Fetches aren't inherently broken, and reprinting them in standard is the only way to make the ONS fetches modern legal (which is a thing they want to do).

Several reasons.

1) They just reprinted a 10 land cycle (the shocks). I don't see them doing the same again so quickly, considering they have other cycles to fill, like enemy scarslands, say.

2) The Zendikar fetches were an aberration already, and the reduced-shuffling mandate is stronger now than ever. They were only included because Zen was a land centric set and the old fetches were such favourites.

3) They actually haven't said anything (afaik) about wanting to make onslaught fetches modern legal.

4) Notwithstanding they rarely let secondary market influence what goes in to sets all that much anyways, at the time they were planning the blocks I'm talking about (now until Q2 '15), i.e. 9 - 18 months ago, fetches were at reasonable prices. They wouldn't have put them in as a pressure release valve if there wasn't yet any pressure.

e:

TheKingofSprings posted:

That :10bux: could've bought you 1/10th of a fetch.

I notice no one took me up on my bet :colbert:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

OK cool, but I said sets and you said blocks. Just to spell it out I'm betting they won't be in M15, Huey, Dewey, or Louie.

Not related to the bet, but my personal prediction is they'll be rares in the next Modern Masters, and I anticipate that to release maybe as early as Spring 2015.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fastlands aren't a modern staple and Maro has talked about how they don't like having the fetch cycle split between two formats and how the Onslaught fetches wouldn't break modern if they suddenly became legal. Also, unless a supplementary product had a massive print run you wouldn't see the dip in prices that they're hoping for that you'd get with a standard reprint.

I don't know if we'll see them in the fall set, but we'll see them in standard fairly "soon".

You are right Fastlands aren't a modern staple. I'm arguing what is and isn't a modern staple doesn't have much bearing on what goes in to new sets. They design for the standard format first and foremost. You are also right there's no reason why they couldn't put onslaught fetches into a modern legal set (except for shuffling blah blah). I'm just saying that that's no reason to think they will any time soon either.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
True Kabanaw. Is they guy able to crack the box? I'm curious about what numbers of the money cards they include. The blurb at the back mentions disruption. IoK or Thoughseize? 1 or 2 or 4 marsh flats, etc.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Matthias Hunt needs to stop speaking.

Melira != muh-LY-ruh

Gavony != guh-VOE-nee

Cedric is very impressionable, I've noticed him morphing his own pronunciation to match...which is disappointing, two weeks ago he finally started saying Polukranos correctly.

I like you Baron but this is a terrible post :shobon:. Are you privvy to some internal pronunciation guide or something? Does this really bother you enough to bring it up?

I wonder if they had to give extra compensation to the commentators to tempt them out of playing in the main event. Or maybe, it's the other direction. Once an event gets to large as this the equity per player is actually pretty drat small and they're all about the EV.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Commentary has been so much better than wotc events, man. I especially liked the 3 squadron hawks siding down to 2 games 2 & 3.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Applebees posted:

Their solution is that those people that are 13-2 or better but don't make top 8 still get Pro Tour invitations. A Grand Prix is really long, and they don't want to add another round.

Also not this level of invite is NOT the same as winning a ptq. No flight, no hotel, just the right to play. Better than nothing though!

Tiebreakers were very odd as mentioned. IT's because they did a 'new' tournament on day 2 as day 1's games were three separate events. Wotc software unscalable? Well I never!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still catching up. I can't be the first person to notice the missed pact trigger in round 14 right?

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/509548409 ~6:25:00 (the second pact, Josh's one)

:smith:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

OssiansFolly posted:

I definitely think this is the case, as I am one of those people. I recently got back into Magic after years off (again), and I am constantly watching these threads and the pros and the price market so that I can move on cards ASAP in hopes that I can make a few bucks. I think I posted a few pages back how I am watching the shocklands to drop down just a tad before the Standard rotation so I can stock up in hopes they jump when demand on them goes up in a couple years.

Yeah I thnk very few people are actually attempting to buy cards, move the market, and flip for profit. I think the vast majority of purchases are folks who see the pattern of price rises and just want to avoid missing the boat.

The funny thing is how tenuously the jumps are related to actual tournament demand now. Teferi a one-of in a sideboard of a small-meta deck.

The best is Helix Pinnacle, not even used in edh much as far as I know:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/2504 700% price spike :lol:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Someone asked Chris Pikula to sign his invitational card:

Shoulda done your research buddy!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
For comparison, a good mid-to-senior lead type engineer could make around 300k/yr all-in at amzn/google/valve etc in Seattle. I can't imagine they offer close to that. You do get $100 month credit towards msrp (actual msrp aka $143/box) sealed product though. Now that's a perk!

vvv Well you can save up. They might get an employee discount too. When I was there for a tour everything available to me was msrp at least.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 12, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey En Fuego I'll be at SCG Seattle. At least on Sunday. I'll be part of the crew in retina searing orange shirts and hoodies.

Is anyone else going? I've played all of one legacy event ever. Hopefully I'll get a round one feature match (cuz I ain't gonna be X-0 that's for sure) against bbd or someone and screw up royally.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It was a lot better when the fee per set was $5 instead of $25, that's for sure. It's the only thing that keeps the singles prices up on Modo though. It's also why there's always a market for foil mythics, even if they're terrible like descent into madness or whatever.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Korak posted:

Yes its a thing but it was more profitable before they changed it to like $25 for redeems. Also when they shut down MTGO's events for a while, a lot of the foreign players divulged a lot of interesting info that they make their livings(one guy is supporting 3 kids and his wife) all from MTGO grinding. Part of that is redeeming sets and selling them off for real world cash.

I can't find the website with full set monetized at the moment but if this guy is serious and waits to sell the physical set, he will definitely make a decent chunk of change from it. I think Innistrad was going for $1000+. So $25 x 10 = $250(maybe less if he talks to someone at WotC to do it cheaper.) $250 + $whatever it took to buy up the cards he didn't have = $$$? Sell each set for $1000+ and he's made $10,000. The main issue is this will take 3+ years to do in total, unless he sales now when the sets are cheap. Also there needs to be 10 buyers, which might not exist.

$1000 for a set? Maybe for foils, for a high value set unopened like New Phyrexia, and at really low volume. Complete sets always hover in the $100 to $175 range, at least while in standard.

Not much else but prices to talk about these days eh? I guess everyone is tired of standard and in sticker shock over modern...

e: or crackgate

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There's no denying power level is down, though. The voltron effect requires toning down removal as well which grates on people subconsciously I find as well.

I think nykthos, thoughtseize, and maybe courser & some red scrylands will be the only cards from the last two sets to have real non-edh staying power.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Anyone else make it out to SCG seattle? I'm prepared to lose horribly and blame it on my hangover rather than my awful play.

I'll be there tomorrow. Good luck!

e: I wish it was still in Lynnwood rather than loving Tacoma though. Jeez.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is going to sound :goonsay: but I really like sorting my cards, I get a great feeling of accomplishment looking at them. So I have my C/UCs in cardboard storage boxes organized by collector's number, with separators by color/gold/hybrid/artifact/land. Every time I open a booster I sort all of its cards where they belong. Rares and foils are in a binder; also in collector's number order, with older sets before newer sets, and non-rare foils at the back of each section also by set/collector's number. I know, I know, but I like flipping through them looking :downs:

Where do you live? I'll pay you $10 an hour to clean up my collection :shobon: Just not enough time in the day...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Heh I'm only half serious but I'm in Seattle, so....

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol.

I use the styrofoam packing that comes with sealed sets from mtgo redemptions. Also I know to throw out extras once one set of commons or one block of uncommons fills a box.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So before we all get swept up in the next week's tournaments I want to give a shout out to our gaming crew that swept the top four of SCG Seattle legacy last week. Great job Greg, Rob, Batman, and Rupes! It feels awesome to see our work pay off after such close losses in earlier tournaments.

Also everyone try as hard as you can to be a social person and link up with players. Having friends to cube with, borrow cards from, share on rides and hotel for trips to tourneys with, strategize on fb while bored at work with, test with, and go drinking with or just gently caress around and bs magic stuff is so much more rewarding than just occasionally playing matches. Especially if you can put up some results!

Go team Legendstech!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You know it :3:

Honestly they are actually useful for making out where everyone is across a big gaming hall mostly.

On Sunday those of us who went 1-2 drop went out to the best bar in washington state, discovered that their weekend 'brunch', included $3 bloody mary's and went till 4:00 (!!). Then, amazingly drunk, we made it back to the hall and did a side 8 man draft where I and my friend made it to the finals to the sober players' great disgust, then cheered on the rest of the team who were in contention.

It was a great day.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Someone post the Craig Wescoe doesn't wash his hands after taking a poo poo episode to #mtgstories !

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ScarletBrother posted:

Both core sets are legal in Standard until Huey is released and RtR block rotates out. M14 will rotate with it.

Do note there will be no standard ptq season until 2015. This is the first time in a long while there won't be a superstandard summer ptq season propping up the price of near-rotation cards. All there'll be are a few random GPs, the SCG circuit, and by store discretion FNMs. The spring & summer pricing dynamics are going to be all different, with huge ramifications for the number of busted JOU packs, and thus JOU availability in 2015. I'm surprised no one is writing articles about this yet aside form TWW.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Korak posted:

^^^ People that bought VoR for $40+ per card do not want to sell while its still Standard playable. We have two more sets to go that could push GW into solidly tier 1, instead of it hovering as like this Tier 1.5-2 deck. If GW Ajani is the Planeswalker in JOU, unless the deck just doesn't work for some other reason we should see GW back on top. When it rotates it will fall but I personally believe it'll stay around $10-20ish.

:lol: LSV being a smart rear end. "Nah I play pod perfectly every time."

But what are people playing standard for? No one wants to drop $100 on a playset of a card they can play only at fnm that's ALSO going to rotate soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

A personal piece I did back in 2012 that Wizards liked so much they purchased its publishing rights and will be making it a card sometime later this year. Since it wasn't commissioned I can show this piece as it is not covered under NDA. Keep your eyes peeled everybody. ©Wizards of the Coast 2012

• Locked thread