Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

It has to be Radiate. Any time I get to cast it in a multiplayer game, it always leads to a fun time, whether I'm Radiating a lethal Banefire or a Beast Within, or even a kicked Rite of Replication if I just want to win. If I hit a Chaos Warp or there's an Eye of the Storm on the table, then things get REALLY interesting.

I put a copy in pretty much every EDH and multiplayer deck I make that has red, unless it REALLY can't fit in, like in my Ashling EDH deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
I'm really getting a Scourge vibe from this set. It has a lot of flavorful cards and interesting ideas with combo potential, supports the block mechanics without making them the focal point, and even has a Johnny build-around-me mechanic. Definitely liking this set so far, probably my favorite set of the block.

Devor posted:

Post your favorite rules-feelbads

Recently at a GP my opponent casted Searing Blood on my Judge's Familiar. I proceeded to sac it, they paid 1 for it, and we both marked me down as taking 3 damage. Kinda bummed me out when I realized what happened afterwards since I only lost by 2 damage at the end of the game and would have won the next turn. I ended up losing that match 1-2. :smith:

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress that give me the BR Legendary Minotaur so I can make the EDH deck already!

I want to use Didgeridoo! :mad:

Just do as I do and have Zedruu as the commander, that way you get Boros Reckoner as well as White and Blue spells, like Crystal Shard to save Zedruu or another minotaur from removal and put it back into play from your hand with Didgeridoo.

In fact, I may just leave my Minotaur tribal EDH as Zedruu even if they come out with a RB Minotaur legend, there's just so much utility in those colors.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Is anyone else trying to think up possible ideas for Skybind + Ephara's Enlightenment? Quarry Colossus is a good start but very expensive.

Also, from Maro's Tumblr:

quote:

quote:

lovetillmidnight asked:
Why is there no legendary minotaur in Journey Into Nyx?
There were a lot of legendary creatures fighting for space. We figured Minotaur decks could use Mogis as a commander.

I see this ending about as well as werewolves.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

RoleModel posted:

There's still M15 and the new block to give various decks things and create new ones. Before Theros came out, no one would have predicted mono-black or mono-blue decks being a pretty big thing. Likewise, there were certain decks that looked really good on paper but performed like crap (G/W, I'm looking at you).

What I'm curious about is what kind of cards have been seeded in Theros block to hint at the future. Some of the ones in RtR block stuck out like a sore thumb (Ethereal Armor and Sphere of Safety), but there's nothing offhand in Theros block that strikes me as an obvious plant.

MaRo has a cryptic answer about this, as always:

MaRo's Tumblr posted:

quote:

the-englishman-abroad asked: I have a sneaky suspicion that there are a few creatures in JOU that are foreshadowing Huey Block... If I'm right which ones, I may just be a little excited... : )
I cannot confirm anything but I will say it’s all right to start getting excited. : )

Personally I think he's referring to the basic land creatures, which may lead credence to the idea of another land matters set. But since MaRo's responses are essentially text versions of Rorschach tests, take from it what you will.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

I guess I'm not sure. I thought that Time Vault had this really convoluted errata to prevent it from being abused with anything that untaps artifacts. This wording is basically the original wording, isn't it?

It actually did at one point have errata involving a counter of some sort, something like "Skip a turn and put a counter on to untap, tap and remove a counter to take an extra turn." That was before they stopped doing functional errata, and have since returned it to its original wording.

I believe Shandalar might actually have that errata wording in fact.

Edit: The same thing happened with Winter Orb. It used to have the Howling Mine errata of doesn't work while tapped, but they removed that since it's considered functional errata.

NivMizzet fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 16, 2014

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Serperoth posted:

They kept Howling Mine with the changed text, because it had been reprinted with the new text. That's why there's a discrepancy.

Yeah, I really wish they hadn't done that at all. They really messed up Loxodon Warhammer with their stupid lifelink errata change, and if they hadn't reprinted it it would be fine now!

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

At first I was super-excited to hear about wedges (with watermarks!), until I found out they're doing the wedges as an ally and an enemy instead of the actual wedges where it's the color and both of its enemies. I kind of wonder why they went that route though, it essentially means that the "wedges" are the five allied-color guilds plus their shared enemy. Either actual wedges wouldn't work gameplay-wise or there's a thematic reason for it.

It probably won't matter much, so I'll definitely see what they're going to do with it, but the blue wedge is supposed to be RUG, not RWU damnit! :argh:

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

I know it's never going to catch on, but I refuse to call him anything other than The Hamburglar. :colbert:

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Entropic posted:

The card Maro has said he really didn't like and thought was a mistake to print is Hornet Sting, because as the guy who is basically in charge of color pie policing at Wizards he thinks green shouldn't be able to do direct damage even if it's not good. Hornet Queen and Hornet Nest are arguably a little color-pie stretching because green is normally not supposed to get flying creatures, but I seem to recall he said it's fine for green to occasionally get flyers like that at rare, particularly which they're small deathtouchers, i.e. basically a hoser for flyers, which is very much in green's wheelhouse.

You can take your pick of reasons he doesn't like Hornet Queen, but here are a few choice quotes:

Whoops, that last quote was from when it was printed in the Commander set, so that doesn't count.

But yeah, the general theme is that he really wishes it was either G/B or straight Black, and green isn't supposed to get big flyers outside of special reasons like a cycle of dragons.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Since Morph is a shard mechanic between the clans but the revealed morph card has a watermark, this makes it very likely that at least every colored card is going to be associated with a clan, maybe even every card. This is pretty much exactly what I wanted out of a wedge set since it will be like Shards of Alara where every card was aligned with a shard, only now we actually get watermarks!

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

I know this is last page, but :spergin:

LordSaturn posted:

As long as we're tearing down assumptions, are those watermarks not just the Speed and Cunning watermarks?

On their reveal image, the Arcanis doesn't have a watermark on it. It could just be a pre-production mock-up and the actual decks might have watermarks for every card, but the Izzet vs Golgari duel deck also didn't put watermarks on the mono-colored cards, so there's that precedent also.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Who wants to take a guess?

markrosewater posted:

organizedhysteria posted:

Any info about your article on Monday you can give? Like, maybe the first and last letter of the title or of the article?

Okay, I’ll play.

The first letter of the column’s title is M.

The last letter of the column’s title is S.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

They may have linked to the wrong one, but here he hints that they're going to do something special for M16.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Is it actually time travel or just different time periods? I might've missed something but I thought it was the latter.

Doug Beyer's even said that there will be effects from the time travel, although it could just be hinting at dragons coming back to Tarkir.

Edit: If anyone cares about ~flavor~, today's Uncharted Realms is all about Sarkhan Vol.

The voice in his head has been Ugin this whole time, and is essentially hinting that he's the one to go back in time and fix Tarkir.

NivMizzet fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 27, 2014

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Zorak posted:

More spoilers are coming in like a couple hours or something. They're probably going to wrap up the party with 'em.

What I really want to know is where I can get that Jeskai shirt Maro's wearing.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Gensuki posted:

Surprising that there are no 4 color legendary creatures.

If you want, you can send the Nephilim creatures from Guildpact to Maro and he'll unofficially errata them to say legendary.

You just won't get them back for several months.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

bhsman posted:

More specifically, at some point an event occurred (Bolas killing Ugin and any siring dragons?) and at that point the number of dragons began to drop off due to no breeding, at which point they were able to be picked off individually by the clans.

Probably related to Ugin and morph magic being draconic in nature:

quote:

Dragons once thrived on the plane of Tarkir. They spawned from mighty elemental storms, filled the sky with their destructive breath, and terrorized the five ancient warrior clans. But the dragons met their fate long ago. For many years, the clans fought a war against the dragons for their own survival, hoping for some way to gain an advantage in the struggle. At a crucial turning point more than a thousand years ago, the dragon tempests stopped coming, and no new dragons were spawned. Their numbers thinned, and the tide of the war changed.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

There is morphling, torchling and thornling. Did they ever make white or black lings? Wind reaver almost counts...

Not yet, they're waiting for the right time.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Commander banlist has been updated. Major change is that they no longer keep a separate "banned" list and "banned as Commander" list, and now there's just one banlist. Probably to do with the fact that MTGO has no way to differentiate the banlists that way.

quote:

Braids, Cabal Minion is banned
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary is banned
Erayo, Soratami Ascendent is banned

Kokusho, the Evening Star is unbanned
Metalworker is unbanned

Good luck finding Metalworkers now, they're all sold out on TCGPlayer and eBay except for a few at 3x their original price.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

If anyone is curious about that four-column binder posted a while back, someone did a video review of it, and apparently it's a high quality binder. Unfortunately the only sites I can find one at are in Europe so with shipping it comes out to over $50. As cool as this binder is, I'm not paying that much for one.

I'm actually really surprised Ultra Pro hasn't made something like this, it seems like an item quite a few Magic players would want considering how central playsets are to deckbuilding/collecting. I guess it's one of those things that's obvious in hindsight, so hopefully Ultra Pro will make one themselves if this company doesn't decide to start selling in the US. Or maybe they'll start popping up on eBay and Amazon as more people find out about them.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

If anyone was still holding out hope that the last-minute card change mentioned in the FTV: Annihilation article was Damnation and they removed it because they were going to reprint it soon in Commander 2014 or something, Maro's article today kills that rumor off:

quote:

This card first came about because Gavin Verhey was putting together From the Vault: Annihilation. He came to me because the plan at the time was to include a preview card from Khans of Tarkir. He was having trouble finding green cards in theme, so he asked me if the preview card could possibly have some green in it. As we hadn't designed it yet, I said sure.

So in one design meeting, I gave as an assignment the following: make me a mass creature-destruction spell of which at least one of the colors was green. What I got back was Duneblast. Later, it was decided that From the Vault wasn't going to have a preview card (getting a card done early logistically causes issues)

qbert posted:

Has the list been posted yet of what the 40 pre-release promos will be?

In the prerelease primer they posted today they only confirmed each clan has a chance of a Khan, but that they're not going to say what the other 7 rares are for each clan. I imagine there's going to be a community list of them as soon as people start opening them just like the semi-randomized non-promo rare in seeded packs before.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

The problem with straight Rip It & Flip It is the same problem as opening packs instead of drafting with them. Why not play a game with your packs?

Both players have a deck of any format and a booster pack. They both open their packs face-down and shuffle them. This is their life total; they start with 15 life instead of 20. Every life they lose they have to rip a card. If someone gains life, they have to get another booster pack, open it up face-down and shuffle it, then add that many cards to their main life total.

There, now you get the thrill of ripping up cards with the value of having played a game while doing so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Even if Ultra Pro decided to make 4-column pages, they'd probably make them side-loading since that seems to be their thing now. If so then I wouldn't bother with them because if a card gets even a little bit loose then when you're flipping pages it will crease and bend the card, which makes side-loading a terrible idea for anything other than bulk trade.

Angry Grimace posted:

I am, however, already anal enough to put a perfect fit sleeve on any card worth more than 5 bucks even when its sitting in my binder. This is mostly a holdover from back in the old days when white-bordered card were still around because they would get dirty even sitting in binders and sleeves because the white borders show dirt and dust so easily and it would bother the gently caress out of me.

This is still good to do because if the card is left in a binder long enough it can get stuck to the page. It shouldn't matter if it's a trade binder, but if you keep your playsets in binders then it's probably a good idea.

• Locked thread