Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Brimaz is already down to 25 bucks the day of release... This is no Voice folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OssiansFolly posted:

Was he higher? I thought he was sitting around $25 on TCG preorder this past week. I am assuming as supply goes down (everyone opening boxes right now) that the price may go up a bit.

I am hoping NOT as I want a playset for my W/R Murder deck...

He was at 32 a few days ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I thought MonoBlue was dead then it 2 out of 8s in the first tourney and outdoes MonoBlack. I'm dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Korak posted:

So Mono Blue got 2 Top 8s for SCG Open, including winning the whole thing. BBD's Bant Walkers almost made top 8 but lost the last match to Adrian Sullivan's UW control. Not sure how CVM did. Brad's burn deck got a terrible 180th+.

WotC coverage is back, Mihara's deck still seems really good. Needs a meta game tweak of the numbers, I'd probably move it to a more controlling shell. Aww he just lost to mono black pack rat spam. :(

I was going to play MonoB at somerset next week but now I'm thinking MonoU with 4 hallowed fountains and 3 temple of enlightenment to splash 3 DShperes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone playing in Somerset this weekend?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

I was going to but decided against it because I am doing Valentine's Day related things and forgot to take off of work for that weekend anyway :suicide:

Sucks. I'm "lucky" in that my GF works ridiculous hours and is working all weekend haha.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Korak posted:

What if they only program the "beta" client for the new set? This would allow them to get more people to use v4.

efb beaten
If you cast Grey Merchant on an empty field(no black pips) and it dies before the etb ability resolves, then nothing happens. If you have something out, then it only counts those pips.

This was always counter intuitive to me... Lets say my opponent plays a Gary and I Hero's downfall it, shouldn't it's ETB ability take place as it has to be on the battlefield in order to be a valid target for the downfall?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SCG just canceled their Somerset Open for anyone who was planning on going. (Like myself)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I had a complete loving brainfart-a-thon today and it probably cost me finishing top 16 at worst in a 2500k prizepool tourney.

I'm 4-0 going into the 5th match against some kind of Bant Control Shell and playing MonoU. G1 I overwhelm him, G2 I'm winning on board but i haven't hit a master yet and he hits a mistcutter for 7. I have no answer (because brainfart 1 was not boarding any ratchet bombs) and was dead in three turns. G3 he hits a mistcutter turn 5 for 4 and Kills my slow hand with no master. So i'm 4-1.

Next match against MonoB I draw a NUT hand but accidently draw 8 cards (brainfart 2) Have go to 6 and have no land. My 5 card hand: Island Master Thassa Thassa Thassa. I lose.
Next game i have to go to 6 and have a decent hand but get Thoughtsiezed T1 and T2 and lose. 4-2

Last round I lose against BW control.

FML. Good day completely ruined.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Mulling to 4 is utter poo poo but I would have considered it over keeping that.

Yeah. After the game I thought i should've done that but against a sieze deck thats an auto loss pretty much anyway.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 16, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Stinky Pit posted:

R/G or R/W are going to give a creature based aggro strategy big problems. You could pick up the guts of a Mono Black Dev deck. If you skip on the Mutavaults and Thoughtseizes, the deck's only expensive cards are Pack Rat/Specter/Desecration Demon, all of them under 10 dollars. The piles of removal will do you wonders for the creature dependant R/G and R/W strategies.

MonoU is actually better than MonoB against those decks in my experience and it's cheaper to build as the Mutavaults aren't as important as they are in MonoB (though they are still great.) The cost is going to be in Thassa and Master which aren't more than 60 bucks for playsets and Spectors are another 25ish.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, every time I look at prices I wish I would have bought that $400 Alpha Lotus or the $50 Mox, or the $10 duals but being 8 didn't put me in a great position to do that, not that I understood why I would want to pay $10 for a land that's 2 lands in 1 anyway. I really wish I'd bought Revised instead of 4th, but why would I buy THIRD edition when FOURTH edition was out? That doesn't make any sense! Force of Will, on the other hand I knew was really good when it was $15, but again, being 14 didn't put me in a much better position to buy them either.

I stopped buying a ton of Magic after the set before Mirrodin (Onslaught?) and didn't really get back into it until recently in RTR block. I'd usually buy a fat pack or 2 to see what I got, and more of the sets I really liked, especially ROE and NPH. But aside from an Emrakul, I never really got anything of value. So it's pretty frustrating that I bought all those cards, got nothing of value, and now I have to buy all these other cards at these ridiculous prices. And this is coming from someone who, without trying to brag, makes substantially more than most Magic players. I honestly don't know how someone working at Lowe's or whatever can afford to buy a $2500 Jund deck.

I always wonder how the guy at my FNM who loads trucks for a living buys a case of every new set that comes out...

On another note I've been playing Pauper on MTGO and it's usually been fun other than against these horrible storm decks. How did not EVERYONE quit playing magic when that was dominating standard? I'm so glad I wasn't playing back then.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Konstantin posted:

They banned all the good Storm cards in Pauper a while ago, the closest thing to storm now is an Esper Control deck that's similar to the old FissurePost deck.

Is that the deck that plays bounce lands and cloud of faries over and over again with those walls that reduce blue spells by 1 to mill you out with the chreature that mills two whenever they play a creature? Cause that's what I keep losing to.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

Against UW control, in my experience, you want something like this (numbers obviously vary depending on what you have in your board):
+2 Jace, MA
+1-2 Needle (for Elspeth/Aetherling/Jaces)
+3-4 Gainsay
+1-2 Dissolve
+1-2 Negate
+1 Bident
+1-2 Cyclonic Rift

You usually want to drop the following:
-1-2 Rapid H. (whatever you main)
-4 Judge's Familiar
-4 Master of Waves
-1-2 Domestication (whatever you main)

What do you SB in against monsters and rakdos aggro decks? This is my usual:

+2 Rapid H
+1 Rift
+3 Bomb

-2 Jace
-1 judge's familier
-1 Domestication
-2 Bident.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 1, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

That's exactly what I have for it. If I had any Pithing Needles in my board I'd bring them in and drop an equal number of Judge's Familiars since they're little more than a 1/1 flier that gives U devotion which is ok but not impressive, and shutting off Planeswalkers and/or Monstrosity on something like Polukranos (or Arbor Colossus) at the right moment can be pretty solid.

I keep thinking about bringing another Nykthos main, since it's just super good, but casting Nightveil on time can sometimes be tough.

How about against RB aggro? I'm seeing a lot of that in my meta game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I hate Magic. Only 7 people showed up for gameday at my LGS so you had to go 2-0 to draw into the top two and I lose my first match on a mull to 5 in G1 and drawing 13 lands in about 18 turns in G2 and my day is over. BRUTAL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mulletstation posted:

All of the archetypes in standard seem awful to play/play against.

5 flavors of the same aggro deck
Every variety of U/W control

The only standout and cool deck is G/B graveyard shenanigans deck using Nemesis.

GR monsters is a midrange deck and mono black is control. MonoU is the only tier1 aggro deck in standard now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Revitalized posted:

Cracked a foil Pain Seer. Got all excited, then found out that they're kind of worthless. :(

I hope someone breaks this for Standard and it's value goes up. It ain't no Bob but it's something :(

It's not worthless. There will be a good mono black aggro deck that will run 4of after rotation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

Had a pretty fun night at a Standard kinda ruined by the last round I had to play. I went 3-1 playing Maze's End, losing only to Mono-Black. I had never been to that store before, and had never actually played the in US before. Because I play in Taiwan, My Maze's End deck uses alot of non-English cards (mostly Chinese and Japanese, but there is at least one-English copy of everything in my deck besides sideboard Turn/Burn.) In the previous rounds no one really said anything about them besides asking where I got them. During the top 8, I play a guy who is playing an all foiled-out Jund deck. I'm making a little chit-chat about how I hope he plays a fast deck because I need to leave soon (I didn't think I was going to win, most of my games were slow crawls to close victories and I knew he was playing aggro.) He steamrolls me game 1, but got grumpy when I played a 2nd Maze's End, trying to tell me that it was Legendary (when everyone else in the store told him it wasn't, he started getting mopey.) We sideboard me for game two. He was playing very slow, and I figured he was gonna beat me again quickly the next game. He sideboards in Pithing Needle (drops 2 naming Maze and Jace) hits 2 Slaughter Games (taking all my verdicts.) When playing the Slaughter games he writes down my entire deck, making comments about how my cards are in "Oriental" and that when playing in America, "we use English cards here :smug:" Through lucky top decks of my artifact removal, I somehow pull the win out of my rear end when he can't get through my fogs. I breathe out a sigh of relief, and tell him that it was the luckiest game of my life. He then gets really huffy at me, saying "it wasn't luck, I made mistakes and should have won." Game 3 he hits Pithing Needles and Slaughter Games again for my Verdicts and D-Spheres this time (which, considering 2 games in a row, he hit both Slaughter Games turns 4 and 5, when I didn't shuffle his deck, did put me off a little.) but this game went by much quicker when I had him in complete fog-lockdown. I put the last gate down, and extend my hand, and get cold-shouldered, and get more flack for my non-English cards (even though in all three games I told him exactly what each cards did every time I played him.) I then rush out the store because my brother was waiting in the parking lot for an extra hour because I didn't expect this match to go on this long and needed a jump (which another player graciously helped us with.) I tell the owner to give the store credit I won to the guy whom I beat and then leave. Am I the rear end in a top hat for not conceding when I was going to leave no matter what next round? I saw other people playing with non-English cards today (granted not at the percentage I was) so it is considered bad to play with so many Non-English cards?

Holy poo poo. Why do you think you did anything wrong here?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mondrian posted:

I've finally bought back in to this stupid hobby after not playing since Planeshift, so I picked up the Theros and BotG event decks to kitchen table at home - do either of these go anywhere decent?

The Theros event deck looks very different to most UW control decks I've seen (but I'm not going to spend $100 on Revelations)

If I add a couple of Pack Rats and another Desecration Demon or 2, does the BotG deck go ok? Maybe a couple of Gray Merchants and some more card draw?
Speaking of - is Read the Bones or Sanguimancy worth it or should I stick with Underworld Connections?

All the MonoB staples are going down in price besides Thoughtsieze so if you want to play that this is a good time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Thoughtseize and Mutavault. :goonsay:

Indeed. Forgot about those but if you're playing any kind of competitive standard you need Mutavaults.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Froghammer posted:

So this (mildly NSFW) got posted on my feed. Is this a normal occurence for a GP?

The guy got banned from future tournaments for this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lord Of Texas posted:

Not really. These people did not have the decency to cover up their disgusting rear end cracks and instead forced thousands of people to be exposed to them. They had an easy choice to pull up their goddamn pants. Not to mention the hygiene issues, that area of the body is a hive of bacteria and they are directly applying it to a public seat that someone else will sit in next round.

These people have absolutely no respect for those around them. They deserve to be ridiculed. This is not a social justice issue, "people with their asses hanging out because of laziness" is not a persecuted class. I was 260 pounds once, I know what it's like to be fat and have trouble with clothes, you know what fixes it for very little money and no lifestyle change? A trip to Goodwill.

You may be right that Wizards makes more short-term money by catering to this type of players who wander into stores without showering and their rear end-cracks hanging out, but I can't help but think in the long-term having these types of players be ubiquitous limits the ceiling of the game.

It takes more energy to fatshame people than to just ignore it which is the polite thing to do in society, not just magic. It really has no effect on anyone else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I was at a tournament a few weekends ago and I was sitting next to an extremely obese guy who smelled literally like poo poo (I assume people like that can't clean themselves very well), so I got up and walked away. That guy's life is poo poo enough without anyone at a magic event being deliberately cruel to him for lolz online.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

Pretty much this.

I'm tired of playing Black Devotion and its variants or UW/x control, I don't want to buy Domris for RG/x, and what else is even viable in the current standard? Blue Devotion? That deck's even more boring.

I'm basically drafting until the next set comes out.

Mono Black Aggro and RW burn are both fun as hell to play, Cheap (if you forgo mutavaults) and very competitive in the current meta. People bagging on standard don't play a lot of standard cause it's a very diverse format these days.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

Mono-B aggro...

I would avoid Pack Rat. Detention Sphere is really good, and being used a lot.

Here's the deck I ran, that was a lot of fun to beat people with.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-b-heroic-1/

Not a huge fan of Agent of the Fates or Sipteful Returned there. You don't have much to target Agent's with and you're a bit light on removal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

He's still a 3 mana 3/2 with Deathtouch. I can't count the number of people who forget the fucker has Deathtouch and just swing giant guys into him.

Yeah but if you're looking for DT you can just play Thrill Kill Assassan and bring down your curve. Anyway if you're worried about blocking with an aggro deck you're already losing. I'd rather have Doom Blades/Hero's Downfalls.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Well, the guy doesn't have haste. It isn't unreasonable for a guy to swing a Polukranos and a Courser of Kruphix into a lone Agent in which you process to Eye Gouge him, then block whoever they don't sac.

If you're only playing eye gouge to target agent why not play Boon of Erebos instead?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

Not only. It kills the best card in Standard (Mutavault), stops turn 2 Domri (which can potentially destroy you) by killing mana elf, or just blows out any X/1 you see.

I see that point but if you top deck it later than turn 2 it's usually going to be horrible. Unlike Doom Blade which you can Board for Dark Betrayal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kabanaw posted:

If you top deck it later it can still kill a mutavault or target your agent of the fates.

I still would rather topdeck a Doom Blade/Dark Betrayal 90% of the time and replace the Agent's with something like 2x more Lifebane's and an extra Tormented Hero/Maurader. Just my opinion.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

Won my FNM tonight playing R/W burn which I just built today and had played exactly zero games with.

Beat U/W control, R/G monsters, B/W midrange, and White Weenie, losing zero games.

Uh, deck's pretty good, guys. Might take a break from my usual control deck for a bit.

Edit: My favorite moment was Game 2 against the B/W player. He's at 5 life and plays Duress and I show him Chained to the Rocks and Fated Conflagration. He smirks, says he doesn't give a poo poo about Fated, picks my Chained and plays Desecration Demon.

I topdeck Boros Reckoner, cast it, cast Fated on my own Reckoner, redirect the 5 to him.

Fated Conflagration over Strombreath/Chandra? Also, do you maindeck reckoners? I've been maindecking 4x Rakdos Cakclers (didn't feel like buying Zealot's) 4x Phoenix, 2x Stormbreath 1x Chandra and winning with it very consistently.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 23, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

As I said in an earlier post, I played with this exact list. 4 Reckoners mainboard is probably a meta call with all the R/G and Jund Monsters decks running around right now. It also has the secret ability to allow Searing Blood and Fated Conflagration to hit your opponent's face even with them having no creatures out.

Got you. I started playing RW burn with the reckoners but then I took them out as they wern't as good as I was expecting but there is a lot of Control and Black in my Meta. Chandra's Phoenix is just a horse and I'm really enjoying playing this. Went 4-0 last night as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

Why run Reckoner without Fanatic of Mogis? Seriously, does not compute.

It's too slow for that deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Esper Control Mirror in the SCG LA final. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone going down to GP Philly? I just wish there was a store around me that did sealed so i could get some practice in before the GP other than what I did at the prerelease...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

I'm going but not to play in the main. Sealed has to much variance for me to spend the $$ to open a poo poo pool and drop since PES doesn't even guarantee a playmat (everyone should follow SCG and do this)

Can't you register online to guarantee yourself the playmat?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

The playmat will be offered free to the first 700 players who register for Grand Prix Philadelphia on-site Friday. The playmat will also be offered to any player who purchases the Grand Prix Philadelphia VIP registration package.

Yeah, if I go i'll do the VIP since I work friday and can't get down there at noon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Bring on the spoilers :fap:

Are those starting this week?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alris posted:

And I just completed my playset of Boros Reckoner :allears:

I don't think he's great with Reckoner's since if you're attacking with it, it won't take damage to redirect and that deck doesn't want to play a 3 mana spell that is primarily a blocker. Brimaz on the other hand is ridiculous with that god.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, it's not very good against blue devotion or Esper, and it doesn't slot in especially well into the Boros burn decks except maybe as a 1-of. Not sure how anyone could conclude that it'll be broken, or even that strong.

It's not for a Boros burn deck. It's for a White Weenie deck that splashes Red.

• Locked thread