Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Favorite cards:

Bitterblossom because the idea of my body slowly decaying and turning into faeries is awesome. Also amazing art, it's my desktop wallpaper at the moment.
and
Cold Eyed Selkie because it sounds like an insult. "drat girl, you acting like a cold eyed selkie."

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

I'm doing my favourite two card combination from when I was twelve! When I was running an 85 card r/b deck of all my cool cards.

BEST COMBO!

Sorceress queen: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=14258

And dwarven thaumaturgist: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=9898

I make your dude a 0/2, then I make him a 2/0 bye bye!

I was so happy when they brought this stupid combo back in Time Spiral with Serendib Sorcerer and Merfolk Thaumaturgist.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Really? I piloted Rakdos Aggro last week, got matched up against mono green Monsters and I just dismantled it. Despite multiple Caryatids, Arbor Colossi and Kalonian Hydras, I was still able to push enough damage through.

Frostburn could be a problem, but Doom Blade and Lightning Strike can deal with it pretty easily.

Monoblack is probably the biggest hurdle, because Mogis's Marauder gets turned off.

In my experience, Rakdos Aggro destroys mono black. Side out the Marauders for thoughtseizes and burn, and side out the doom blades for dark betrayals. Mono black is usually just too slow to deal with something that wins turn 4 or 5. I've never lost to mono black with it, though this was all pre Drown in Sorrow, which probably hurts the match up a bit.

G/R is tough if they get their mana dudes out and drop a Polukranos turn 3. You can usually get in some damage in the first three turns because they are reluctant to block with their mana dudes. I usually side in thoughtseizes to get rid of big creatures and peak eruptions to destroy their lands. Destroying a stomping ground turn 3 can keep the stormbreaths away long enough to get that final damage in. Mogis's Marauders can also just steal this game out of nowhere.

The toughest matchups I've had are White Weenie, Boros Burn, and anything running Blood Baron.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 12, 2014

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Conspiracy sounds awesome. I'm totally OK with Wizards putting out a special drafting set every summer from here on out.

Apparently there will be a bunch of reprints to, so maybe it's kind of another "greatest hits" set like MM was.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I know there are few people on here who are into miscut cards. Someone at my local game store bought a Born of the Gods intro deck and got an entire deck of miscuts. Some weren't super interesting, but these were among the better ones. It looks like they are from the very bottom of the sheet.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

What a Judas posted:

I love cards that are on the bottom of the sheet like that. Would you sell or trade them? Did you pick these up from him, or are they still his? I'd be interested in the entire deck, really, but mostly these two.

They're still in his possession, I think he's going to hang on to most of them. There's a special novelty of having Miscut Mistcutter Hydra.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Entropic posted:

Nissa is definitely the odd one out there. Who the hell wants Nissa?

Since Garruk is the pale black and white colors like he is in the M15 promo art, maybe he'll be colorless or have some weird backstory in M15, so they're promoting Nissa to the main green planeswalker.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Niton posted:

Worth is basically the entire reason I believe in the future of MTGO. The dude is hilarious and is a huge proponent of magic streaming in general.

He might also be the devil.

There was a moment on LoadingReadyRun's stream a few weeks ago where they were losing really badly and spent like 3 minutes trying to figure out what to do, when suddenly they were gifted the card "Abandon Hope" out of nowhere.

Worth watches all.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Star Man posted:

It's the morph spider as Jerry Lee mentioned. They're in some of the illustrations for cards with morph, but they're not very prominent. Here's a few of them:

I think he was asking more in terms of context of the story. What events caused there to be creatures entombed in clay spiders?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What's the difference between Modern and Legacy? Just an available card pool?

Is there any reasons to play Modern over Legacy or Legacy over Modern?

Modern feels more like Standard+, as it seems like a more "fair" format that is way cheaper to get into. The mandatory super expensive lands in modern are like $50, whereas in legacy, they're like $150. Legacy seems like a format that is all about who can get activate their broken card combo the fastest, which some people really like, whereas Modern seems to be more like really high level Magic that still plays as was intended. There are still some combo decks, but there are much more "play really good creatures or spells on curve to deplete opponents life total" strategies.

The reasons I think modern has suddenly become really popular are that a) Getting rid of Blood Braid Elf and Deathrite Shaman has made it so that the same deck doesn't win every tournament and it's a much more open format with people trying new stuff, and b) It's all fairly recent cards, so if you're someone who has only gotten into Magic in the last five years you may already have a decent modern collection and can build decks out of that. Modern was absolutely horrible about a year ago when everything was either Eggs or Jund, but as shown with the last pro tour, there is no longer just one dominant deck and it's actually really competitive and fresh, which has more people excited to get into it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

ChewyLSB posted:

You're an idiot who obviously doesn't play Legacy and probably shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about a format you know nothing about.

Wow, I didn't think that was such a taboo thing to say. I've played some legacy and have friends who are really into it, and even they'll say a lot of popular decks are about exploiting card interactions. I actually find the format fascinating in that it takes a lot of skill and brains to play, and it's neat to see people do stuff with cards that I'm sure no one at Wizards ever intended to have happen. When they printed grindstone, I doubt that they ever thought that 15 years later they would make a card that along with it would instantly mill someone out in one turn, or that Show and Tell would be eventually be used to put a 15/15 creature with a million insane abilities into play on turn 3, or that reanimate could be used on turn 1 to play a giant demon that draws you 7 cards, or that Thespian's stage could copy a land and instantly get you a 20/20 creature.

Sorry I offended you.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 28, 2014

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

dThe problem is you're pretty much repeating a blatantly false "fact" that a lot of people believe that keeps them out of Legacy. Until a year or so, I pretty much believed that too; if you don't have all 4 Forces, you don't have a chance because you're just going to die turn 0. That's definitely not even close to true. I just finished Legacy Affinity because I got tired of Breakfast Burrito and wanted to interact at least a little. The format is 100% about efficiency. Jace and Skrillex are free cards every turn, Stoneforge is a 2-mana instant speed Batterskull, Swords is a 1-mana, unconditional kill spell for a few life.

All the examples you give really aren't that bad. Show and Tell has counters (Ashen Rider, Consecrated Sohinx, Sower, Notion Thief, etc.) Marit Lage dies to Swords, Abrupt Decay, etc. Sometimes you're screwed turn 1, sure, but more often than not you have answers.

The worst part though about saying things like that is that you're ignoring the real problem of the format: the reserve list, and inflation in general. Having to drop $1500+ for a land base of fetches, duals, and Wastelands which anymore go through a significant price spike every few months is going to kill the format faster than any turn 1 deck.

That said, I'd say he overreacted pretty hard.

Thanks for replying and being totally reasonable instead of just insulting me.

I definitely agree that the thing keeping most people from getting into legacy is the absurd price of having a competitive deck and it's probably why Wizards is focusing on modern, because they can reprint those cards as much as they want to suck in all of the new players they've found in the last couple years.

Since you're talking about the reserve list being the problem keeping people out of the format, and to continue the discussion, I'm curious what you think would be the best solution? Should Wizards somewhat stop promoting legacy outside of one or two GPs a year and go whole hog for modern as it seems they're doing, should they scrap the reserve list, or should they ban stuff like the original dual lands to drastically reduce the cost of a competitive manabase? Or does Legacy continue to be the exclusive club for people who have either been playing forever or have tons of disposable income?

The point of my original post was not to say that legacy is a bad degenerate format, but that people are getting into modern because it's no longer controlled by 1 or 2 dominant decks as it has been in the last couple years, it's cheaper (for the time being), and still generally plays like regular Magic, only faster and more precisely tuned. It's kind of like the next step up once you graduate from Standard and want to be more competitive and have more cards at your disposal. I would say that legacy is way more daunting to new players than modern.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Since the dude's name is Jin Gitaxias, it would be weird if the "Gi" is pronounced the same as the "Ji" in his first name. It's pronounced a hard G, like Gum.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Mortimer posted:

Come on wizards I know you want to let me play chromaticore in monowhite.

It's way too expensive, but it theoretically would let a monowhite deck cheat out a chromanticore.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Snacksmaniac posted:

Works on my machine.

It is but that's part of the charm.

The best part is how after the match, they both have no idea what to do. Take off the headphones, stand around awkwardly, maybe shake hands across the wide table. It's always awkward.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Evolve is such a good mechanic, I wouldn't mind them revisiting it in future core sets like they did with exalted and bloodthirst.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Ramos posted:

Yeah, I got to say, the only mechanic I didn't really care for was Cipher, which we later found out was more of a heroic enabler than anything. The rest of them managed to be quite interesting and enjoyable for the most part. Golgari's was a bit boring, but still useful enough.

Apparently Cipher was a last minute thing. Dimir's original ability was "Grind", which was mill target library until you hit X lands, which still ended up on a bunch of cards. They thought that that wasn't interactive enough, so they changed the wording and added a bunch of last minute cipher cards.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Vraska Ultimate victory is the best victory

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

"At some point maybe we will even see a match that doesn't involve Esper Control"
"One can only hope"

I think even the commentators are sick of calling the same match over and over again.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

This dude is going to be awesome in my Phenax deck. Why sure, I'll mill you for 3 and kill your best creature and give myself a lotus petal every single turn.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

This dude owns. I'm so excited for all of the new cards with Phenax synergies.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Promoted Pawn posted:

If anybody opens a God Pack at the prerelease and doesn't immediately construct 5 color Super God Friends then I don't want to know you.

The great thing is if you have all of the gods out, they all turn each other on with devotion. It would be a giant rainbow indestructible ball of terror.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Was turnout at prereleases down for anyone this weekend? Normally Hotsauce gets 40 - 50+ but most of the events were around 30 which is less than normal.

The Saturday prerelease where I went was down from the Theros and BOTG events. Only had about 25 people, as opposed to the normal 35-40. Sunday 2 headed giant was up though, more people showed up to that than the normal prerelease.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Bugsy posted:

So what is the best zombie token?

Alara meat dog centaur zombie

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Four loving Detention Spheres.

And four dissipates. Heartbreaking.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Mutavault. Almost every competitive standard deck has Mutavault, often as a 4-of. Its therefore expensive. It's likely to rotate because its a Core Set rare that's played way too often.

Aaron Forsythe said in an interview that reprinting Mutavault was a mistake, so yeah, we're not likely to ever see that in a core set again.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

The look of "I will never shave this loving beard!". Going to check this out.

What is Chris' vow again? He won't shave until he top 8s, or until he gets 1st outright?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Zorak posted:

E: Speaking of the Scry Lands, it's funny how everyone thought they were unplayable and now they're played in everything in Standard and also in some Modern decks.

My favorite terrible prediction is still people thinking Elspeth Sun's Champion was too expensive to be playable.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

This would be a sweet 80's metal album cover.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I still don't really understand how this is going to work, but this set looks super fun.

So if you draft this, do you immediately run up to the counter of the store and buy another pack of whatever that then gets passed around with the conspiracy boosters?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Maybe he's confused about Ogre Battledriver?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

First Bass posted:

I finally caved for a playset of NM/M Morningtide Mutavaults for 100 bux (I got them from a goon); are they worth keeping now while I want to compete in FNMs and Game Day, and then getting rid of them before they roll out of Standard? Or keep them as I cannibalize the rest of Mono Blue Devotion to make Modern Merfolk? Is there even a remote chance they make it into M15?

I know they plan sets years in advance, but apparently the developers were really unprepared for its impact in standard. Aaron Foresythe even said in an interview that reprinting it was a mistake when asked what cards in Standard were more powerful than he thought they would be. It may be in M15, since they plan sets so long in advance that they kind of can't plan around the current metagame, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

UberJew posted:

Somehow I got Magister of Worth, three Brago's Representatives, 2 Compulsive Research and 2 Fact or Fictions (as fifth and sixth picks in pack 3)

Turns out when you have 3 votes Bite of the Black Rose is a really powerful card! Also when you're hitting your land drops for the entire game the multikicker creatures are really, really handy (and a 4/4 flyer with protection from creatures from the relevant cantrip aura make people really not want to attack you)

Best moment was in the winner's match my friend needed my votes for a Plea for Power to get an extra turn and kill the other two people in the game, so gave me a 5-0 Fact or Fiction split. Then they countered the Plea for Power and I ended up winning :v:

This sounds pretty similar to what I drafted. I opened a Magister of Worth and ended up drafting a B/W Will of the Council/Life Drain deck. I was pretty inconspicuous most of the game, not doing any attacking and having the other players ignore me, then I would wipe the board with Magister, attack the next turn and fire off a bunch of Syphon Souls to drain them and Tyrant's Choice to get rid of anything they tried to play/further drain them. Will of the Council is a really cool fun multiplayer mechanic and I like that there's enough stuff to really draft around it as an archetype.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Kasonic posted:

Is Ob Nihilus strong enough to include in Modern against decks running multiple fetches? That's a serious effect.

You would need a way to cheat it out. By the time you get to six mana, your opponent probably has all the land they need.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Valicious posted:

I'll bring Affinity. Robot breakfast? Breakfast of (Etched) Champions!

Holy poo poo Spoon, I might know you. I'm the chick in the wheelchair always playing terrible decks at Twin Suns.
We should do a Very Special Conspiracy Draft: Goon Edition.

I'm in Santa Fe, but I'd definitely drive an hour to ABQ for a goon conspiracy draft. It was weird finding out how many magic goons live in New Mexico.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I wasn't a fan of strive or tribute.

I thought strive sucked just because of what it did to drafting. Like half of the rares in JIN were strive things, most were completely uninteresting. It's just not fun to Pack 1 Pick 1 a combat trick. Going in the order of J-B-T didn't work out so well since most of the JIN cards seemed like stuff to add onto what you were already drafting. After a few weeks, my local shop switched to T-B-J, and it was way better.

I liked inspired, but it really seemed like a last minute thing without much thought put into it. And Constellation should have been in the entire set.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Don't forget the even-sexier version Argyle felt the need to make!

The joke of course being that she's still wearing more clothing than both original Liliana Vess and Of the Dark Realms, but :argh: Argyle!

Imagine how long it takes her to lace up those boots every morning.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Snacksmaniac posted:

Uhh, they're magic boots maybe?

She just summons a zombie to do it for her.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

I'm going to need you to 'splain it to me.

The sheath is in a U shape, so the pointless blades slides through exposed at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Second from the left. That makes two birdmen. Avens are back, baby, oh yeah :parrot:

gently caress that, Aurochs are back.

• Locked thread