Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Slaughter Games, because gently caress your win con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I thought the whole point of the meadery was practice amongst friends. Why cheat if it's practice for the real thing?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1xlq8v/is_matthias_hunt_of_scg_cheating_at_the_35_minute/cfcllrk

Mattias explains here that they are playtesting and wanted to keep the game going to learn the match-up better. Not sure how useful testing is under not-real circumstances, but seems fine.

Then why did he look at the top card of his deck so considerately before he flipped it over? He knew drat well what it was, and it's not like he said out-loud, "I'm gonna dig for a D-sphere because I want to keep practicing".

Also, cheating to practice against nut draws has to be statistically insignificant, right? I mean, the number of possible opening hands is huge, and I'm sure the odds of having your best opening against someone else's best opening aren't worth preparing for.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Just signed up for MTGO. It stinks that the only new player drafts are M14. Should I just trade my event tickets for something else or try to win packs in the newbie drafts and trade those?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Here's a link to the youtube stream of the pro tour since Twitch keeps stuttering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPazW4MI3Lg

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I played against a Bogbrew Witch/Bubbling Cauldron/Festering Newt combo deck last night, and scooped when I shouldn't have and feel really dumb about it.
I had Herald of Torment out, and on the turn that I thought should have been my last, lost 1 life and went to 3 during my upkeep and top decked a swamp.
I conceded knowing that one more activation of his combo would kill me, but I didn't read the cauldron closely enough, and the creature he had available to sac wasn't a newt, so I really had 2 more turns to draw my out, and the card I needed to turn the game around was second from the top. :doh:

I'm never conceding again.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I cry when I go 1-4 at fnm, there's no way I could keep it together in the finals of the pro tour.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

First Bass posted:

Well, at least with Theros, ... or Nicol Bolas shows up for no reason and becomes a God,

My friend was trying to convince me that Bolas is indeed coming to Theros as evidenced by Xenagos' scarf.

You know who else has a scarf like that?

And their minions share it as well:

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

edit: i might be completely talking out of my rear end, ask a judge: chat.magicjudges.org

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 4, 2014

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

But Goyf's power and toughness are constant in all zones, so when he enters the graveyard, he boosts his own toughness, meaning Orzhov Charm either deals damage as goyf's toughness was when the spell began resolution (3), or deals damage as goyf's toughness is as he sits in the graveyard (4).

Gatherer rulings to the rescue: "If you choose the second mode, you'll lose life equal to the creature's toughness when it was last on the battlefield."

You take 3

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 4, 2014

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I just won my first newbie draft on mtgo. I'm assuming the smart thing to do is sell my winnings to a bot to fund future drafts as opposed to cracking the pack(s), right?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Promoted Pawn posted:

The right* thing to do is keep all your packs sealed and use them directly to enter more events with the 'packs+tix' option. The people who don't frequently inject money into MTGO will stockpile prize packs during prerelease/release events and use those to enter drafts.

*Though if you feel like it, go ahead and crack them. Just know you're losing value in the long term doing so.

Keeping packs sounds smart, but I'm burnt out on M14. If this bought me 1/4th of a Theros draft, I'd take it.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

At Game Day, I went 0-2 against a kid running mono red without sleeves on his cards, and a small piece of me felt embarrassed, but he made all the right plays and didn't miss any triggers, so I've no one to blame but my hesitant-to-mulligan self.

Game 2: I gary'd for 6, bought myself up to 11 and swung with Erebos to knock him to 5, then he hard cast lava axe to my face, firedancer triggered, redirected to gary (my only blocker) and swung in for exactsies. It was a mixed bag of emotions.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Can someone explain the functional difference between Mistform Ultimus's "has all creature types" ability and changeling? I seem to remember there being some subtle functional difference but I can't find it or figure it out.

Looks like Changeling is a keyword ability, while Mistform Ultimus has a static effect. This would matter if some kind of "target creature loses all abilities" effect were to happen.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Devor posted:

Does someone have a link to the "good" draft cards from Theros and Born?

Luis Scott Vargas does a color by color review of new sets in both a limited (draft and sealed) and constructed frame of view. He starts with white and works his way through.

Born of tbe Gods: http://www.channelfireball.com/home/born-of-the-gods-limited-review-white/

Theros:http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/theros-set-review-white/

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Mortimesr posted:

If I don't have byes but preregistered what time should I show up tomorrow

They don't do Saturday registration anymore, so everyone will have pre-registered, so probably the same time as everyone else.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Yeah but what time? Supposedly decklists have to be in by 10, so get there at 9?
I dunno anything about this.

The only time I see is "gp Richmond starts at 10am", and that you can report as late as 11:15am if you have one bye, meaning round one won't be over before 11:15, meaning round one would start at 10:30ish, and given an a brief players meeting, showing up between 9-9:30 sounds right.
That'd give you plenty of time to get your bearings and find card vendors/food stands/ the screens that list pairings and so on.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I thought cash transactions were forbidden with the exception of vendors. I guess they're not worried about getting kicked out of the convention hall?

edit: I'm not making any kind of moral judgement, just admiring big wads of cardboard loot.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 10, 2014

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I shower every day, but I always go out of my way to shower, brush my teeth, and change clothes before FNM because I've smelled horrible things at my LGS, and the fear of contributing to that smell, even by accidental negligence, is a powerful motivator for my hygiene. Likewise, seeing their rear end cracks from time to time makes me conscious of my own, and I take a second to hike my pants up before I sit down at the table.

I honestly don't know why that fear doesn't have an impact on the stinkers playing EDH in the back room. I can't fathom why people don't see a big 'ol rear end crack in a fold-out chair, think "gross", and remember that they too have an rear end crack that needs to be kept in check, but it's not my place to shame them to their faces. I also wouldn't post pictures of their rear end cracks for laughs, but that's because I know those people and see them every week.

If it wasn't rear end cracks, but big-tittied animu playmats and altered basic lands being made fun of, would there be a need for a response from Wizards? There always seems to be some characteristic that is acceptable to mock: rudeness is one, stench is perhaps another, loli-chan sleeves certainly makes the list. The issue at hand isn't bullying, but rather the trait being bullied, and I feel like anonymous rear end cracks are close to, but not quite, a thing you can't make fun of.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 11, 2014

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Just remember that the active player gets his/her chance to do combat tricks before you do, so wait until they say something like, "So, your guy dies?" to indicate they've passed priority before giving the Murder King a victim.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Longshot007 posted:

Is there a website where I can find a comprehensive guide on exactly what all the special rules do and how they work? The little poster thing that comes with the start sets is astoundingly bad at teaching you anything.

By special rules, do you mean things like "deathtouch" or "regeneration" that aren't always explained on the card?
If so, try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Devor posted:

Is this to check "does the potential judge write on the players' cards" because that's a newbie mistake I always see judges make.

Huh? Who in the world writes on cards?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Or do like me and splash blue for Triton Tactics.
Oh? You're going to sac an elvish mystic to tap down my desecration demon? Well say hello to a heroic trigger to make you sac a non-trivial creature and a bigger demon ready to swing at your face all for one blue mana.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

What a Judas: Do you think the amount of miscuts will decrease with the adoption of the new M15 card border which was apparently designed to be tracked better by the manufacturing machinery?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I'm selling most of the older version of this deck in the trading/buying thread in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Because you cant get mana screwed in Hearthstone. Your three 8-drops might sit in your hand for awhile, but you WILL get to play them. No mana variance gives the advantage to the first player.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Yes, but if your opponent has already declared a blocker, making him unblockable does nothing.

Activated abilities (abilities that have a cost : effect) are always usable at anytime you could otherwise use an instant, which is anytime yo have priority unless the ability or another effect says different.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What do you mean...they prize out booster packs but don't let you draft with them?

It's not impossible to map a box for it's rares, then bring those packs to draft with.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I forced a draw last night by flashing in a Notion Thief on turn 5 of turns to block a lethal Aetherling that my opponent cast off of a Jace ultimate when he didn't realize he could still make it unblockable.

He said, "You're gonna force the draw?", and I said, "Yah".

"You wanna give me the win since I was so far ahead?"

"No, I earned that draw."

He scooped and reported.

Later in the evening, I got to cast a Thassa that my Nightveil Specter stole, and later came a Tidebinder Mage to turn her on.
It was a good night for Magic.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 5, 2014

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Korak posted:

^^^ How were the other games? Did he sandbag in the other games to push it to a draw or what? IMHO it seems like a nice thing to do to give him the win if y'all both played at a good pace.

It was U/W with a single Aetherling as its only wincon. Even if you play that deck fast, its slow. Getting the draw got me some packs at the end of the night. Im not going to concede and take a loss just because he would have won if he hadn't mis-played.

In short, gently caress Sphinx's Revelation . All the decks that run it.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

They should be revealing the fall 2014 set as well.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

The guy running 4-color Delver had a decktech in which he said that Mizzium Skin "blanks Golgari Charm for 2 mana". I don't see how that's the case. Giving all your creatures hexproof won't make a difference with Golgari charm, as only one of its modes says "target", and that's for an enchantment.

Any idea what he was talking about?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Madcap skills for their entire board?

gently caress Off

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

AegisP posted:

Mildly amused that Lash of the Whip will kill Iroas.

He's more resistant to removal as an enchantment, but his abilities reward a full board, meaning he'll be turned on more often than not, making him more vulnerable to removal.

A balanced downside?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

Is Keranos worded such that if you draw a card during your opponent's turn you get the reveal trigger? Or is the "your turn" precluding that?

I'm pretty sure it only works on your turns. "Each turn" would be the phrase used if it were meant to be otherwise.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

What a Judas posted:

It doesn't work that way. You need to use Resonator before the ability resolves and reveals anything.

It says, "whenever" twice, which is the key word for a triggered ability. Do two abilities go on the stack before the card is revealed, and one fizzles, or does it go on the stack as one big trigger?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Woapalanne posted:

Neither. One of the two embedded abilities trigger after you reveal the card. The reveal itself is part of a static ability.

Thats how I assumed it worked. I was struggling to interpret it in the way What a Judas had mentioned.

I think the big wall of text might lead people to believe its one ability, but it was probably squeezed together during templating to avoid making the text microscopic

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Why lifelink?
Boros charm + Dictate of the Twin Gods + reckoner
Redirect to itself until its big enough to redirect to an opponent.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

To hell with Biomass Mutation and Rakdos' Return, use Mind Grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Bugsy posted:

Exile target creature card from your graveyard. Put a black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield with its power equals to the exiled card's power and toughness equals to the exiled card's toughness.

Nighthowler seems like a good target with a full graveyard.

edit: or Colossus of Akros in limited.

• Locked thread