Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Unsuccessful endeavors are just as worthy, if not more, to me. Especially if you can pinpoint where things didn't go well and how you'd correct them moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Has anyone used those hiring websites like Hired and poo poo? Before I start an aggressive search I kinda want to exhaust my options there since it's the summer and I'm lazy.

I got to my current job through Hired. Had to go through a second "marketplace" in order to not get crappy companies reaching out. But the experience was pretty easy as they're in desperate need of competent engineers going onto the platform.

I'm in NYC and have 4 years of professional experience FWIW.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Agreed, leave it out completely.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, I had a similar job, except working on a rule engine. My project manager actually took me aside and told me to work more slowly and maybe surf the internet or something. I was knocking stuff out in one hour that unbeknownst to me was previously estimated to take 8, and we were billing the customer by the hour.

The upshot here, as I would also say to School of How, is that I didn't learn jack poo poo at that job, and every day I went in there was one more day when my skills were atrophying and I was ultimately screwing myself.

Definitely one of the worst things I've ever been told in my career was just that.

Nothing more frustrating when you want to do the work and someone actively tells you not to. I like building poo poo damnit :colbert:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
The moment the senior engineers find out the new guy is making more after having "put in" less time is when they become even more disgruntled. While I don't like co-workers discussing salaries, it does happen with some regularity.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pollyanna posted:

I've spent a lot of time being loudly wrong at this soon-to-end job, and it has actually helped me learn quite a bit - unfortunately, it had the side effect of making my manager go "I've received complaints about you asking people too many questions" and poo poo like that, sooooooo :shepface:

Whatever. I'm moving on from there. And quite frankly, given where it looks like the company is going, I think that's a good thing.

Seconding what sink said. If I'm mentoring a younger engineer, I want them to ask tons of questions. I don't want them to be loud and obnoxious while doing it. Nuance is key here and will get you a hell of a lot further than anything else (sadly or not).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

minato posted:

In my experience, a good presentation can take days to prepare, even if the author is an expert. And rehearsal time alone will take at least an hour or two. I think maybe a 5 minute presentation would be a reasonable ask to test someone's communication skills, but 30 is excessive.

In your situation, I think it'd be reasonable to push back on this by telling them exactly that. If they won't budge, then get them to defer it until the very last stage of the process when you're actually sure you want the job. Otherwise it's just not a good investment of your time.

I'd expect the presentation aspect for a higher level position, not just an engineer. Is this a leadership/managerial role Cryolite?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've been out in the professional field for 5 years now and am primarily focused on iOS development. I was just promoted to a engineering lead role and we're starting to build out our team. This is my first leadership role (outside of running a summer internship program) and I'm looking to hit the ground running. Any advice for folks who've made the jump?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I appreciate it. I'm away next week and my bonus (+ raise with retroactive comp for 4 paychecks) lands on 3/15 but basically as soon as that paycheck is in my account I'm going to start aggressively looking. I'll follow up with how the search is going in a few weeks.

Echoing what Chutwig said, try out Hired. Got my current job through them.

Also come with with me at Plated.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

chutwig posted:

Haha, Plated. Has the SVP of Eng tried to jam Hadoop into everything yet? That was his parting gift when I worked with him before.

Nope! No Hadoop!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hired worked for me last year.

PM me and I can send you my profile (that seems to have worked) if you'd like an example.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Munkeymon posted:

Also Objective C. Everyone has to have a dang app.

You mean Swift? :can:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be able to predict lifespan/health in any intelligent way. I'm just going to focus on the poo poo that matters to me, and if my parents start giving me poo poo for working at a startup then gently caress em.

You're an adult, this shouldn't matter.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I joined a small dev team a little over a year ago as a straight-up developer. Since then I've taken on essentially a second-in-command developer/back-end designer role under our Senior Architect. I've asked to have my title and salary adjusted given the new responsibilities and while I realize the title doesn't necessarily correlate to any real standards across the industry - having the right words on a resume can make all the difference so I was wondering what I should shoot for. I am inclined to think "Technical/Team Lead" or "Senior Software Developer" since my role has expanded beyond coding to being the direct technical contact for our clients and being the sort of "on-call" guy to put out fires.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Be careful trying to jump titles too early. I don't know how long you've been working professionally, and while years of experience isn't the only qualification for seniority, but having too big of a title can screw you when you try to go elsewhere that has very different standards for the same title.

Instead, I'd approach the conversation with your manager about what a growth path looks like for you at your company. What's the next tier that you're working towards? What are the competencies of being in that tier?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Blinkz0rz posted:

Confirmed yesterday that this next sprint will be my last with my current team. On 11/1 I'm moving to manage my own engineering team.

For folks who have gone from IC to management, two questions:

1. What was the thing you wish you had done first?

2. What was the most important skill you needed/wished you had during that transition?

1. Get really comfortable giving and receiving feedback. Figuring this out on the job has been rough.

2. Resisting the temptation to jump into code too quickly - let folks hash it out and ask more guiding questions. Find ways to prevent yourself from being the defacto say in every conversation and having people just defer to you.

(still getting the hang of it here)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

From my understanding, yes, I was told that this is how it works on other teams, but generally there's a pretty strict vetting process. Supremely fucc'd indeed.

Hashtag Company Problemz

We definitely do not allow hiring managers to get referral bonuses here as that's a big no no.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Professional goals for 2018: Double the size of our engineering guild, successfully navigate managing 2x the number of people I did last year.

Personal goals: Redo my website in one of the newer front end web frameworks as I've been out of webdev for 5+ years. Need to keep my knowledge about these systems more up to date than just cursory reading. Keep doing freelance native iOS work as it allows me to keep working in the platform I love while working on features completely outside of my day to day.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

CPColin posted:

At the end of last week, my new boss sent out an email introducing me to the boss of another department. The latter boss turned me down for a job something like two years ago. I wonder if she remembers me!

Definitely not.

Pollyanna posted:

Hm. I got CTCI years ago when I was first trying to get a job, but ended up forgetting about it when it turned out that most of the stuff in it didn't really apply to what I'd be doing (and still hasn't). Given what I'm hearing, I don't think I'm prepared for this screening - is it still worth a try?

Just loving do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Whoa hey, this thread just got really serious.

Software engineering generally occurs in a a physically cushy environment while having a high level of mental pressure, similar to any other office based skilled labor. We just happen to be in an excellent (bubble?) market right now so we have more leverage than others. Doesn't mean that lasts forever and it doesn't mean everyone is exactly in that same position.

Finding that proper work-life balance has been key for me in order to not burn out. Do the work that enables the life that you want to live. If that's working 9-5 (let's be real, you know it's 10-6) then do it. If it's working remotely from your home, freelancing on contracts or bootstrapping your own site/app/business, cool. Programming enables all of that quite easily.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Jaded Burnout posted:

I did look at them but they're just SOOO expensive that if you even a little bit stack it up against a giant pile of top quality notebooks and pens it can't compete unless you are truly hardcore about your usage.

There was some "smart pad" thing which claimed to be like writing on paper but I'm still waiting for the second version before seeing about buying, since the first one had some lag issues.

They're very good for having all of your notes in one location and easily sharable with teammates. They're great for follow ups to meetings with said notes and annotations, and even diagrams.

That said, you can also just whiteboard + write on a piece of paper and use Microsoft Lens (or I think the default camera on iOS) to "documentize" an image to a PDF. They do a pretty good job fixing lighting and aspects nowadays with that all.

I don't have one here at work but I too have been thinking about it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

The Fool posted:

I disagree. .NET does historically trend towards enterprise, so you never see it in "trendy" startup environments. But .NET's foothold appears to be expanding with Microsoft's commitment to open source over the last couple of years. If they can keep up the momentum, .NET will absolutely gain wider usage.

Agreed. Microsoft is killing it lately with its open sourcing work.

.NET Core
Typescript
VS Code
WSL

All of that is dope and good.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Titles mean absolute dick. Been hiring engineering teams for quite some time now, no one cares about previous titles or what you think they meant - it's the experiences, how well you can speak to them and what you're looking for next.

If someone is reaching out to you for a senior title, and you even think for a second that you can't do it because you're not "senior" enough, throw out the thought completely. They looked at your resume and deemed you worthy of a contact. As long as it's something you're interested in, go for it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

BurntCornMuffin posted:

That said, they can be useful as a quick and dirty way to establish expectations and BATNAs for salary when it comes to negotiating and salary research. Please negotiate.

100% this. Particularly in our field as for the past 8 (more?) years, we have had much more leverage than the employers.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

comedyblissoption posted:

an industry that has one of the highest profit margins is a weird way to phrase "much more leverage than the employers"

Are those mutually exclusive?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yeah, not too sure where you're going with this.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Zaphod42 posted:

Hiring is also a soul crushing experience where you have to deal with hundreds of applicants not remotely qualified lying about their experience thinking they can just pick up engineering on the job just in order to find a couple people who truly understand how to program a Hello, World.

It just sucks all around.

I find recruiting to be one of the most rewarding parts of my job.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sign posted:

How are you doing this so it isn't terrible?

Work with recruitment and engineering leads to create a process you actually like. Move the hell away from algorithm whiteboarding. Focus on actually providing a good candidate experience. Make sure you have clearly laid out scorecards for each rec that layout outcomes as well as qualifications for the candidates. Make sure your hiring team knows which areas to focus on for their respective interviews.

Know that hiring is the most important thing you can be doing, particularly as an engineering leader.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Eggnogium posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that is a wrong answer? Given only the facts of 500s I would definitely first go digging for more info before making any assumptions about the root cause. Like maybe after working on a product for several months you could have developed a sane heuristic of “500s => very likely resource exhaustion” but it would be only for that service and the wrong approach without the experience to back it up.

Minato's point is it's more nuanced than just a solution and lays out a plan to find the root of the problem. Interview answers don't *need* to be technically correct as long as you explain your thought process and back it up sufficiently.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Munkeymon posted:

I think that when I approach a novel troubleshooting problem with preconceived notions of what probably went wrong that I often end up wasting time disproving my guesswork before making real progress on the problem, but that could be faulty/biased memory - certainly haven't been rigorously keeping track.

I think that's a really important thing to consider (not letting your biases force you into tunnel vision) - but I expect an experienced engineer to use their previous experiences to inform their thought processes moving forward.

That said, I also expect people to begin answering those types of questions by gathering more information and requirements up front (it'll almost never hurt to ask more questions).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I joined, I am now in.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey, what do people do for technical reading/resources today? We're contemplating starting a technical-book Library, but it's 2018 and there's gotta be alternatives out there.

We've used Safarionline in the past but found their collection to be somewhat wanting (although we could try it again). Does anyone else have any recommendations? I want folks to be able to have a digital version, on top of a physical one, should they want it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Handsome Wife posted:

So I'm pretty happy in my current job, feel well paid, etc., and have been there about 10 months. It's an established and growing company of about 150 people.

A guy I've worked with in the past contacted me maybe a month ago, telling me he and a cofounder have a startup, and are looking for someone to lead software development. The founders are domain experts, not coders. I told them I wasn't interested because I have a good thing going right now, but I'd be happy to do some consulting for them to help them get rolling.

Anyway, I did that, and apparently their board really liked what they saw of what I did, and they're making one final push to get me to come on board as employee 1.

I'd be the head software guy, and one of my first jobs would be to hire a team. They have 12-15 months of runway in the bank, a commitment for more from their investors when they need it, and their board has told them they want them to spend a year developing their platform before they worry about selling it.

They've offered me a $10k bump in salary from what I make now, plus a bit over 1% equity.

I'm actually really tempted, but

1. I know most startups fail. That said, if I'm out on my rear end after a year, that would be longer than my current job, and unless the economy really goes over a cliff, I'm confident in my ability to land another one.
  2. I like my current place, and have been there less than a year. I've had 4 jobs in the past 6 years. At current job, I was promoted to a team lead position 2 months ago.
  3. The founders have made it clear that they respect work-life balance and I've made it abundantly clear I won't work crazy hours. But I know that could all go out the window, especially if their investors start to get impatient.

Am I crazy for thinking about taking this job?

Several things here:

1. *knocks on wood* Software engineering as a core business competency isn't disappearing anytime soon, and experienced engineers will be needed EVEN more so IF there was a downturn in the market.
2. Boomerangs are definitely a thing. Don't burn any bridges with your current employer. If/when the startup putters out, you have an easy in back with the company.
3. If/when the startup putters out, having an early stage startup under your belt like that (even if failed) will look great on the resume and you'll learn a TON.
4. You will be wearing ALL of the hats, and be on call most of the time. I don't mean production support on call, I mean chatting/answering questions and being the tech-guy on calls/presentations/pitches. It won't just be "throw Handsome Wife into the corner to let them code 100% of the time".

tl;dr go for it if you're willing to put the work in.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

asur posted:

The only definition for senior that is remotely consistent is being able to work with minimal oversight. At over six years experience I would definitely be applying to senior positions. Anyway you're bored and that only is a good reason to move on as when you're bored you aren't learning and improving.

Agreed. You're still early on enough in your career to where (it sounds like) you still enjoy the type of work you're doing, just not the work you're able to do at your job. Stagnation now will have a much larger impact down the road.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

LLSix posted:

Looking for some feedback on my resume. I tried to inline my language and technical skills with their relevant tasks and job experience to make space for more work experience examples.

I've worked primarily in embedded devices and for family reasons have moved to an area without any companies that need embedded developers. So I'm primarily applying to remote work, most of which is CRUD and web-based it looks like which I'm happy to do. I took a semi-local job with a company that makes a CRUD app to be able to put something on my resume that's shows I can do that kind of work. Is it better off at the bottom of my job experience list since its the position I've had that involves the least responsibility and is least impressive; or if it needs to be at the top to highlight that I've done the kind of jobs I'm applying to before?

1. Order your professional experience newest to oldest.
2. Kill the associations
3. Highlight your personal projects more than just saying you did them and not even specify/link to them
4. Format your sections like you would code (indentation can be your friend here)
5. Try to cut down on the amount of text for each of your lines. Indenting above will mean you'll have less space to fit things in which will help you out in the long run.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

leper khan posted:

Depends if you’re trying to leave as means of promotion or not.

Prevailing market rate + N%

Always shoot for 25%+ raise + any potential signing bonus to offset lost yearly bonuses.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rt4 posted:

If this company doesn't use version control properly and wants to poo poo on you for broken links in an internal site, those are two good indicators (three if we count not using git) that it's time to leave anyway

This is correct.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I feel like a lot of my initial git problems were just because of how poorly I was trained on SVN originally.

Now I couldn't imagine living without it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sab669 posted:

It's literally just a static page full of links to different resources.

Our software login pages
Pay stubs / benefits
JIRA
Support tickets
Docushare

A handful of other random links. It's essentially just a "So you don't know how to use Bookmarks" convenience page.

And what happened was when someone updated the links to our actual software products, that didn't get checked in. So I pushed a change that added an additional link to some phone queue software for tech support [and overwrote the URLs to the software that clinical support probably uses].

I can't imagine HR ever goes into our software.

This sounds like the biggest non-issue I've come across in quite some time.

And I work very closely with marketers.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sab669 posted:

I exaggerate a little bit, the exact request was:

* Use pagination to display albums
* Be able to click on albums to view thumbnails of images in gallery
* Be able to click on users to view their submissions

Don't necessarily need to handle uploading images and stuff like that.

They wanted me to use this instead of a DB for the project: https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/
I'm familiar with working with JSON, obviously, but I'm not sure exactly how to utilize this so it's just one more thing I need to sit down and figure out to work on this. And as I said, sometimes easily overwhelmed :saddowns:

And the requirements they sent me were written very poorly - presumably this was done intentionally to see if I'd speak up / what questions I'd ask for clarification.

Yeah, they're testing out if you know how to write a client that interacts with a RESTful API.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rt4 posted:

Other companies are totally gormless and you'll eat dinner alone and go to bed at 9pm.

And at that point it's time to find a new place to work.