Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
edit-- nevermind

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Thank you for your thoughts. When you say "proof of work, not proof of learning", do you think that the lack of responses implies whatever work I have done probably just isn't good enough?

As for finding startups which are hard-up for engineers or desperate enough to take a risk... where do you find those, exactly? How do you identify if a company is like that? Because I can look on a random job site for job titles at companies whose name I don't recognize, but I have no way of knowing how badly they're looking for people.

I actually keep a tally on a post-it note of how many jobs I apply to each year, how many interviews/callbacks I get, and how many offers I get. Starting next year, though, I'll probably make this into an Excel sheet so that I can keep track of the company names for situations like responding to posts like yours here. I'm pretty sure that all but maybe 2 or 3 of the jobs I've applied to so far this year, at least, have been at small firms. And by small firms, I mean companies whose name I don't recognize and aren't publicly traded. I don't know of any other way to define that.

As for networking with people at smaller companies, the people who I described in my post were a (friend of a)^4 and a guy who explicitly said "hey, i'll meet irl with anybody who sends me an e-mail." I don't really know how it's possible to meet and talk to people in smaller companies especially when I don't know anybody in common with them.

As for web dev meetups, I know that there is a thing for that Go language in my city, but when I went around looking for which technologies to learn as I described in my previous post I'm pretty sure I never saw Go mentioned anywhere. So I hadn't even considered it. As far as I can tell, that's about it in terms of local meetup groups. Am I wrong about this?

There's also an annual Unreal dev convention every year in my city, but despite trying to go there every year for the past 3 years it always somehow ends up being announced on the same day that the GF and I are leaving on a vacation that had been planned months before the event dates were announced. They always seem to schedule it during the big holiday breaks in this country.

As for the "move for/work remotely" part, you've probably hit the nail on the head there I'd imagine. Moved overseas after University because it was the only job I could get back after graduation in '10. Part of trying to transition to this career involves repatriation or otherwise settling in yet another country. It's not feasible to just go back to the US and sit around in some Motel looking for a job there because the cost of living whilst looking for a job is much higher.

It made sense at the time, though: all of my programming achievements have been in the context of creating stuff for PC games... so if I'm going to get a programming job, I'd most likely be able to get something related to what I've already done, right? But then I wonder how people who do more niche programming stuff (NLP, CV, Blockchain) get their feet in the door, so to speak, if that's really how this is supposed to work.

Thanks so much for your point-by-point advice. Tried looking up the USDS in the US on the USAJobs.gov site but unfortunately I don't see any openings there.

As for revising the resume further to word things in a better way, isn't that kind of what I've been going through all of this time? Every time I reach out and get advice, it always makes sense when they explain their reasoning but it never seems to have any effect on my actual results. Sometimes the advice is even contradictory.

As described in my previous post, my Web Dev stuff isn't anywhere near as plentiful and so I'm sure my latest CV iteration for web stuff definitely won't have anything to be impressed about because like I said, most of my programming achievements are related to modding and scripting and whatnot for games. I'll try to send you something soon, though.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Re: $$$
A relevant comment on HN:

quote:

As a general rule, the people getting outlandish half-mil-a-year offers from big tech companies are domain experts, and the people on Twitter shocked and upset that they're never seeing these offers are either (a) generalists or (b) people who have chosen to specialize on the craft of programming, rather than a domain to which programming can be applied.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

minato posted:

I was in awe of some of the engineers I worked with. But over time I realized they were far from perfect either. The one-man-SWAT-team guy who could debug and fix any breaking system in record time also wrote the most atrocious code and tested everything in prod. The guy who wrote long complex bash scripts using all manner of esoteric bash features did that because he'd never bothered to learn Python. The self-taught genius who was an oracle of knowledge about every language never delivered on anything.

(The rare engineers who seemed to be great at everything often turned out to be socially awkward or obnoxious)

Ultimately I found that it was unhealthy to be comparing myself to everyone else. I'd wanted to know what was "normal" to check that I was at least reaching that level, but I couldn't get a grasp on it. People just have strengths and weaknesses, end of story. It's better to self-assess and work on improving yourself than to be anxious that you're not comparable to a "superhuman" engineer.

Your post rings really true for me. I had a loosely similar experience, but in a very different context: growing up and getting involved in the modding and scripting communities for all of the various games that I had played over the years.

My problem, in hindsight, was that I looked up to absolutely everybody around me in whatever community/chatroom I found myself because I was always the youngest person there. I had felt like everybody around me were 20 and 30-somethings who were way better at this stuff than I'll ever be. So when I'd show something that I had made, there'd always be a few people looking down their noses and making off-hand comments like, "Ugh your scripting is poo poo, get off my lawn. You made this with X language/library/technique? Rofl, Y language/library/technique is way better. Do you not even know what [__programming concept__] is?" you can bet that young, impressionable me would take the feedback super duper seriously like Bill Gates just gave me career advice and so I'd just drop everything to go try and re-learn how to do the exact same poo poo but now in that new language or library flavor-of-the-month bullshit. Then I'd come back with the new thing, someone else would give the same "feedback", and of course young, impressionable me would start running another lap all over again.

In hindsight those people were a bunch of obnoxious assholes but they had childhood me running in circles for years. I didn't know anybody who did programming/computer stuff irl at all where I grew up (i.e. rural suburb, where anything computer-related is just goofy nerd poo poo) and so I looked up in awe at anybody I met online who pretended to know stuff about it. It wasn't until one particularly bad incident with a guy in one modding community who was really mad that I had fixed an important bug for a popular mod that he had made in the past but was being lazy about fixing that I sort of broke out of the spell and realized what kind of people I had been actually looking up to for all of these years. It's one of those "wish I had a time machine" situations.

Then in University, which was the first time I had ever met anyone irl who knew anything about programming, they wouldn't even consider giving me any placement credit. I took their "CS 1" course and felt like they were teaching me how to bang rocks together whilst somehow managing to be smug assholes about it, so I never even considered CS as a major and just chose Math instead. Then when I graduate, I apply for programming jobs... but it's 2010, there are no entry-level jobs for recent graduates, and every relevant job advertisement has "CS major" in the requirements. Welp, looks like it'll never happen. It's only now, years later, that I'm trying to give it another go.

If I could go back and do it again, I would just ignore that entire scripting/modding scene altogether and just focus on making lovely software with one particular language or library without ever looking back. I would probably have been way better off.

Welp, that's my wall of text. Thanks for reading!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

baquerd posted:

GWH, you're on your way to Goon_in_a_well.txt. Take the rope ladder that's being lowered to you by HR.

They had one of those in the Navy thread in the GIP board a couple of weeks ago, it was one of the best few pages I've ever read on this forum, pissing and everything. Your post reminded me of it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Is November hiring season or something for this tech industry? Because after many months of being black hole'd I got two interviews off of random LinkedIn messages. Both went past initial and second interviews but fell apart between the interviewing and the offer. Was also my first tech interview -- they were a lot easier than I thought they'd be! Although I imagine for big companies they'd make you do that hard stuff that I keep reading about.

Back to the black hole, though. It's really strange that my only responses came from when they initiated the contact with me via LinkedIn. It makes me feel like I should just stop applying and invest that time and effort into make my LinkedIn more appealing to recruiters instead.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
edit-- nevermind

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 31, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
The more I apply for these tech jobs and get Black Hole'd, the more I feel like the only way I'll find a tech job is if I create it for myself (i.e. entrepreneurship). The entrepreneurship books I've looked at read more like self-help books than anything else, though, and Indie Hackers seems full of confirmation bias.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Sometimes commiserating is just as useful as trying to find solutions.

edit -- i wrote a bunch of :words: that would probably have been better posted in e/n or whatever so nvm

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 6, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

This, because SF/NYC money with St Louis cost of living.

At this point I've priced myself into a situation where I work remote or I take a $40-$50K pay cut.

I read in this book last year that the only way to have steady work when becoming a freelancer is to already have a reputation when you go into it so that there are already people there willing and able to work with you at the prices that you want. Is this true for your situation? How did you come across your first 10 or so clients or whatever? Did you start with a super low fee just to get work and then increase it as your network grew, or did you maybe start with a high fee because your initial few clients already knew you well enough through word of mouth somehow?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

)])))))))))

Sorry, I'm not hip enough to get this joke. Can someone explain?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

vonnegutt posted:

I've usually heard to create an LLC for independent contractors. What's the advantage of an S-corp vs an LLC?

S-corp is what you want to do when you want to eventually sell your company. The difference is in how the enterprise value is calculated (because of a slight tax difference), which is relevant for mergers and acquisitions.

Source: I read a bunch of entrepreneur books last year along with all of the programming books and video courses.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

They'll hire anyone who can pass their coding interviews.

:coffeepal:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

The March Hare posted:

I'm (and this part is critical) doing it in my spare time while earning (again, critical, earning > paying) more than twice that number of dollars by doing the job I would be doing anyway if I had the degree.

All of my envy

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I for one am empathetic to Pollyana's predicament because I know how it feels to be abused by particularly nasty bosses or coworkers.

Just wanted to add at least one post here that isn't harsh or critical since everyone here is taking a position on the matter.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

The Fool posted:

I'm going to get a 100% remote job and then move to a 3rd world country so I can live like a literal king.

Did this for a while. It's pretty nice if you have the personality for it. A lot of people burn out or get cynical over the years due to language barriers. It comes and goes in phases.

edit-- vvvvv will PM

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 31, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I worry that this thread is drifting toward D&D, so here's an attempt to re-rail the thread:

edit-- nevermind

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 31, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm sorry to hear you're still having this issue. Is it the same when you apply to a recruiter proactively or is it just when you're applying to the employer directly?
Applying to a recruiter proactively seems to be the default method of applying when you do it through LinkedIn, which has been where I've been finding things to apply to for the past few months. There doesn't seem to be any difference in results between reaching out to recruiters or reaching out to employers.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Where are you located? You should post your resume and let us look.
Will PM.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Just to let everybody know, there is also an alternative thing that focuses only on finance parts of the MBA program, is wayyyy cheaper, is entirely self-taught, and is equivalent to a Masters Degree in some countries for visa purposes (e.g. UK, Aus, NZ). It's called the CFA and all you have to do is pass their 3 exams. I passed the 1st one a couple of years ago despite absolutely zero finance background at all and am currently preparing for the 2nd one in my spare time along with working on this programming job stuff. They're pretty hard (~40% pass rate), which is why they're so much cheaper to do compared to the MBA.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 6, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Bullies are not like kung-fu masters looking for the ultimate challenge, they are like hyenas looking for easy prey.

qft

On a related note, here's a cool essay I found on HackerNews last year that was written in 1922: https://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2012/12/26/1922-why-i-quit-being-so-accommodating/

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
LinkedIn thread seems dead so I'll repost here since this one is alive and well:

A Udemy course I did last year recommended keeping your LinkedIn profile as "on brand" as possible. So if you want a job doing X, then you need everything in there to be all about X and just leave out the unrelated stuff. Include tangentially related stuff, though. What do you guys think about this? Because I won't be applying for only one particular job title or niche. Should I include everything, like a European CV, or should I stick to the advice given and keep it "on brand"?

Also, do you guys keep a "personal projects" part in your experience category where you place Media screenshots, links, and whatnot? Because normally you have to click that down arrow in order to see the links and screenshots but if you put them in the Experience section then it's right there in your face when you scroll down.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Fun fact: the slang word that women use for husband in Korean is 평남, which literally means "below average"

edit I am below average

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
In my goon fan fiction, Blinko is secretly Shirec's boss

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
edit-- nevermind

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 31, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
If you play a critical ownership role in cutting $10M from your company's operating cash outflows over the next Fiscal Year, how high of a building do you jump off of when the company says they can only offer you their standard, single-digit % cap on raises and bonuses; and that you have no alternative to negotiate with because you can't win the algorithm lottery? asking for a friend because the building they're moving into next month is only a few stories but the one next to it is pretty tall actually i'm kidding, it's just a way to cope

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
For $250k USD per year you can call me whatever you want imo

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
https://www.indiehackers.com/

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its a big ol masturbatorium for self promotion. some peeps there do have big dicks tho
I like think of it as "learning from current examples". Their podcast is very good.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Doghouse posted:

I've been working with Angular 7 for the past year and it's ok. Observables are still kicking my rear end though.

This is the Promise that never ends
Yes, it goes on and on my friends
Some people, started piping it not knowing what it was
But they'll continue mapping it forever just because

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Boffin

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I like to say Software Janitor because nobody else in the company wants to touch it.

So, instead of a rare artifact buried deep in the Earth, or a tumor that needs to be extracted, it's toxic radioactive sewage.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Guinness posted:

Or they are the very "company man" type personality and binge drink the koolaid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDDukLyXY-M

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
What a nightmare. I always thought about attending a similar thing in Seoul or organizing something myself, but never did out of fear for something like that.

I guess the only way to make that work would be to make it a sort of private social club with a vouch system or something like that.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

sim posted:

Which would you choose?

Offer A: Staff at a public company with a high performing stock, HQ in SF, well known within software dev (product is for devs/marketing/sales). Diverse teams, women in leadership positions, and really good reviews on Glassdoor. Good benefits.

Offer B: Senior (Level 2) at a private, relatively unknown company with HQ in Europe (few reviews on Glassdoor for US). Has supposed plans to IPO within a year at $1B+ valuation. Product is for creatives; some overlap/potential future competition with Adobe. I'm on good terms with another person on the team and the skip level manager. Severely lacking in diversity. Meh benefits.

Both positions are remote. Base salary/bonus would be roughly equal, but the difference would be hundreds of thousands of actual stock for company A versus paper money with a lot of upside at company B, if they ever go public.

I read in a blog post recently that the easiest strategy to retire at 40 is to join a few almost-ready-to-IPO companies and sell the equity eventually. By that logic (not that I'd know from experience) A sounds good but if you really believe that B will IPO after a year then hopefully A will still respond to your job application if it doesn't actually happen anyway.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

B-Nasty posted:

As long as it's just c-tor injection. If you use property injection, you are a bad programmer and should go into management.

Why do you have to doxx me like that on these forums, that's not cool at all

no but seriously what's wrong with it? is scrolling ugly or something?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Just to make sure you're all measuring your dicks the same way: those numbers are "base + bonus + (new RSUs for current year/years_of_vesting)", right?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Achievement unlocked: found out "end of quarter maker sprint" is code for "many of you won't be here at the end of the sprint because layoffs happen at the end of the quarter, and we want to make sure all the quarterly initiatives are done before we let you go" rug pull

Was not directly impacted but I have a good idea of who is going to pick up half the work of people near me let go

Yeah I'm expecting mass layoffs to happen everywhere sometime this year. Rising interest rates means that it's more expensive to finance new projects, which means fewer reasons to hire new people; and rising inflation means that it's more expensive to have people in general, which means fewer reasons to hire new people. So, if revenue won't go up, then you gotta make expenses go down or else the stock price will go down, the dividends will be smaller, and the CEO will look bad. Also, since virtually everyone who has any money is invested in "stocks" (read: dark pools) because everything else sucks, they can't afford to let the growth in net income stop because then all the institutions that actually own the shares will be screwed (read: bailed out again). I'm toxxing that it'll happen in the Summer around the timing of whatever earnings call that is, and then they'll simultaneously announce compensation adjustments for the survivors due to inflation so that the news doesn't make all of their brands look "too" bad. :toxx:

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 22, 2022

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Sounds like what they really want is a run book, a knowledge article, and maybe a Postman collection.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I’m also a binger. I focus hard on something for a relatively short amount of time, then move on to something else before eventually coming back for another round. With a 9-to-5, you instead have to be a grazer - a little bit each and every day for a very long time. That’s not my nature.

The reason it's not your nature might be because of this part:

Pollyanna posted:

my Adderall has worn off
I hope you were joking about having a drug dependency in order to do your job. If not, then maybe the real problem is imposter syndrome.

edit: also look at me giving advice in this thread wtf hell is freezing over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Hot take: instead of writing unit tests for each method of each class in the entire project... just write unit tests from the entry point of your application and cover everything by passing in all of the use cases for your entry point. The only thing you should mock are your downstream calls.

That way, it works just like an integration test but it's cheap and fast.

Even if your component is 500K lines of code, that's why we have debuggers. If you really can't cover some code in this way then either you don't understand how your component works or that code can be safely removed.

Maybe the only exception to this could be the middleware classes that intercept incoming and outgoing requests to the downstream components, because you're mocking their responses.

fight me irl