Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

Volguus posted:

Well, it was shocking for me to find out that this is a thing, when i heard about it for the first time. But yes, you are right, probably people don't get fired for no reason. Usually. Most of the time. Except when they do. But I've learned to stop being surprised when you guys defend policies/laws that are against your own interests.

Thanks for worrying so much about them Americans (mostly), but when the people experiencing it are telling you it isn't a problem, maybe just take their word for it instead of assuming you know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

lifg posted:

No, he's a seasoned web veteran with two profitable businesses who still goes to job fairs.

I don't understand it at all.

Many programmers have side businesses that generate income but still prefer full time employment at a stable company for the benefits and large salary. Especially when you have a family.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Anyone working in Detroit care to share what they're making / market rate? Tech company with an office there contacted me. I'm a little interested. Mainly for the outdoors and cheap cost of living for a few years.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I'm hitting my quarter-life crisis and got thinking about the future, so I was wondering: how should I approach my career thinking of the long term? I'm at the age where I wanna start settling down, saving up for a house, etc., and I want to know how to deal with SWEng as a career in the long term. I'm in the central Boston area right now, but I'm thinking of eventually moving further away from the city center or even possibly a different state altogether - I have no idea what the future is like.

Is software development a relatively mobile career? It seems pretty amenable to moving around the US, since there's software needs everywhere, but specific tech stacks differ from place to place.

Don't dev jobs tend to last 3~5 years on average? That suggests to me a degree of flexibility in where you live and work, due to commute needs, changes in insurance plans, all that. Is that good enough for eventually getting a house n stuff?

Maybe this doesn't actually have anything to do with dev itself, but I was just thinking of how to get stable for the long term and this got me wondering how best to position myself.

Should I actively job hunt while working? Can I afford a house and stuff as a software developer? Is software development a good career? Is it mobile? Are you completely oblivious to basic, easily Googled facts and common sense you mildly retarded child?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

There's a large difference between doing a little self research and asking for advice vs. a history of Livejournal, stream of conscious, you won't believe the new dumb poo poo I did at work today / had happen to me.

The lack of perspective on just how good the OP has it -- graduated from a boot camp, writing if-statements in language of choice and will probably make six figures in most large markets -- and wanting to know if it's the right career that can let you buy stuff. Do you have any idea what the average income is for most people and how cushy your job is?

Please keep treating this person with kid gloves. It'd be awful if they went to a different community to ask for permission to work on their resume and job hunts while taking money from their current employer.

rsjr fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 18, 2017

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Volguus posted:

I've had interviews where I was explaining to 2 idiots the service I designed that handled 10 users per second. I felt quite proud of that accomplishment as 10 users per second seemed to me to be quite a fair bit.

Well, what do you do when you have 100 users per second? I loving retire to the Bahamas that's what i do. Until then, put up more memory in those drat VMs and shut the gently caress up. You're not google, you're not amazon or facebook. You will see 5 users per hour at some point in the next century.

Maybe reconsider sharing the 10 TPS service story in a future interview if you're uncomfortable going into how you'd scale it. From an interviewer's perspective, it's a very fair line of questioning that gives insight into your thought process and previous experience level.

Two example answers:

- No, I don't know how I'd scale it up an order of magnitude. At all. Even allowing for fundamental, hypothetical changes to the system.
- We can scale it up, but here are the dependencies in the system that would need to change to support it. These trade-offs were considered when I initially implemented the design. I went with A, B,C for X, Y, Z reasons.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Volguus posted:

Haha, no, in my particular case I knew how to scale it and for how long can i do it (vertical and horizontal) before the entire house of cards wold fall down.My story was about the 2 idiots (and others like them) that behaved like their thing will be the next facebook with bazillions of users. I knew what that particular company made, I saw the performance characteristics of their systems before stepping foot into that interview and during the interview they described to me their 1 user per day solution that they were selling.

The entire idea is about the "You ain't gonna need it" principle. You're spending all that time creating the most scalable, flexible super-duper mega system that can handle 5 times the capacity of google, but forget to hash and salt the passwords in the database. There is a time and place for all that design, certainly it isn't upfront when you still have critical features to implement and think about.

Am I capturing your points correctly: I should only be asked scaling questions in interviews by companies who I think will face those scaling concerns, otherwise we should focus on another topic (presumedly something I agree is applicable to their current technology situation).

As far as the rest of your reply... I think the point of the question is to pretend like you now need it and what'd you do.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

I can vouch from experience it has the total compensation bands correct for the respective levels for at least three of the companies listed.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

raminasi posted:

Does anyone have advice on dealing with the ego challenges that come from having younger coworkers leveled higher than you? It’s really just a stupid ego thing, I have no reason to think anyone at any part of this has made a bad decision, but knowing that doesn’t make it just go away.

Honestly evaluate them as a peer. Are they more talented? Smarter? Work harder? Have they produced more meaningful contributions?
If any of the above is true, isn’t it only logical that they are rewarded with a higher position?

Be glad you work for a company that promotes on merit and not something like seniority. What if your promotion went to a slightly older / more senior person who you thought was less deserving?

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

School of How posted:

Most industries operate under a seniority system. In my opinion, it's a far superior system than any other and here is why: Amongst competent people, it's very hard to "rank" each person. For instance, it's very hard to say whether LeBron James or Michael Jordan is a better basketball player. They both play pretty drat well, and can do everything a basketball player needs to be able to do. On the other hand, if you go to an elementary school basketball game, it's much easier to tell who the best players are, who the worst are, and the ones in the middle.

I can't speak for other industries, but within the aviation industry, there is no logical way to say pilot A is "better" than pilot B. If they both are able to get the job done and not crash, then they both are equal, therefore the only way to fairly give out promotions is to give it to the one with most seniority. If they were to come up with some metric to differentiate between "good" and "great" pilots, then pilots would try to maximize that metric to further their career, and that would jeopardize safety.

If the programming industry embraced seniority, then you'd see far fewer programmers trying to "out-program" their co-workers in an attempt to make themselves seem better that everyone else, to get a promotion. It would result in better software quality and better working conditions.

Did you try to sneak a LeBron / Jordan derail into the lovely programmers thread?

Settle down. Let’s get you hired first before we start talking promotions kind goon.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

I work at a Google competitor. The salary information is accurate. It closely matches our ranges.

Does it shock you to the core to know this oversaturated market will value some developers over you by such a large amount.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

School of How posted:

Even if those figures are true, do you really think a developer making a quarter a million dollars a year is actually 2.5 times more productive than a developer making 100K? 5 times more productive than a programmer making 50K? I doubt it. Those salaries, if true, are completely illogical.

You can’t grasp that there are difficult problems to solve in software engineering, and that there are people who can solve them and then there’s you. Not everyone works as the sole maintainer on line of business CRUD rehashes in dotNET.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Tell your boss when you have the actual job with a start date. The courtesy here is to schedule the start date with enough time to transfer work and knowledge to not inconvenience the team. Use your best judgement on how far out it should be.

Who the gently caress tells their boss when they’re just interviewing?

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Someone already posted this earlier about individual contributor and going up the chain there vs. management.

In an ideal environment senior, lead, principle are all terms that signify impact: at the team, group and company level respectively.

It has nothing to do with years in the role. Does the work you’re doing impact your whole team? Do you set direction, take on the critical code paths, mentor other members, write the majority of design documents? Keep expanding that to your product group and your company.

There are some developers who will never make senior, regardless of their years on the job. Not for a lack of technical skills, they prefer to write lots of code and not take on the rest of the responsibilities. For those that contribute breakthroughs, major patents or other engineering only achievements there’s usually some distinguished engineer or title that gives you the financial awards but keeps the people aspect away.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Cuntpunch posted:

The overwhelming majority of the project is legacy code, both old and new. This came up specifically because while I was out last week, he asked another team member why we were using IEnumerables as inputs and outputs in a new piece of rewritten code, rather than Lists, and that team member couldn't explain it. He asked, I explain that if we do things in a LINQ-y way, we get the dual benefits of both getting *one* straight path through the flow of read-parse-transform-serialize-output, but also that we also get the benefit of being able to do things like slip in and out logic into that chain without having to rewrite 1000 other lines of up and downstream code. Plus some talk on lazy eval etc.

His take was that even he doesn't really understand it, and so we should stop using it so that nobody gets confused. With a side of "thinking about things in that way isn't how we all learned in school so we probably shouldn't expect people to have to learn it."

Is this something C# specific? It seems like a generic why do we code against an interface over an implementation rather than the benefits of using LINQ, which is only an added bonus since LINQ I assume is built on top of that particular interface. Your answer isn’t very satisfying in that context, to be honest.

See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/383947/what-does-it-mean-to-program-to-an-interface etc.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I think I stopped taking it seriously after claiming super mario bros is 50 years old

Yes, out of all of his claims being off by 14 (the initial release) here was what really made me go hmmm... too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Infinotize posted:

Don’t worry though, the cynicism only gets worse. You just learn when to turn it on and off better.

You become the jaded, cynical person that complains all the time or the person that recognizes the system for what it is, flaws and all, and gets things done without so much judgment. Recognizing the system for what it is, for me, meant recognizing that the people problems are much harder than the technical problems. And anything worth doing once you get to a certain level involves people across the entire organization.

Improving your emotional intelligence, understanding the motivation of everyone involved and better communication skills even when not in a management position makes your life much easier.