Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Anyone here found a job through TripleByte? How was the process? I checked them out once, but gave up because they weren't doing remote placements and I'm not super interested in relocating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

awesomeolion posted:

I've done a decent amount of Upwork freelancing and it's okay. I found gun.io to be by far the best freelancing site because it has higher quality clients with larger budgets. They have people who screen both clients and freelancers (rather than register and you're in right away) so you get a lot less "make me an operating system for $100" type stuff.

gun.io seems to be targeting full time freelancers, would be worthwhile to get some part time work too?

I've tried upwork before and was turned off by all of the "build crm addon for $10/hour" garbage.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hmm! I am, coincidentally, at the point where I either have to turn down actual real work (not just vague job offer suggestions) or hire someone, though my main clients so far have been either day rates or individuals who don't have the budget to crank rates sky high. I really don't want to hire someone.

I think one of the secondary points of that article is that even if you don't increase your rate, switching from hourly billing to weekly billing can increase your revenue and reduce your stress.

But you would have to restructure project plans as well to account for week-long dedicated sprints for individual clients and not splitting your time up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Like, seriously :wtf:

As coding challenges go, I've heard of way worse. Imgur style functionality is pretty easy to duplicate, the secret sauce is handling traffic at scale. and making the site profitable somehow

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://boards.greenhouse.io/renttherunway

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ok?

Nothing on that job board stood out as being terrible to me. And supposedly they are taking their data science stuff pretty seriously.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Related, would love advice about how to find open source projects to contribute to.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Dark Wind posted:

On the topic of greatest weakness, what has always worked for me is to pick something that is genuinely a weakness of yours, but also something that you've become self-aware of and taken steps to mitigate. Don't give a weakness that you've done nothing about or that you only just discovered. Even if it was years ago and you've done a ton of work on it, just say that. I take the question not as "what is your great weakness", but "what is something about your way of working that has been challenging to you or others in the past, and what have you done to resolve it?".

This is what I do.

I talk about how I can get easily distracted, and how it can affect my ability to finish longer projects. Then I talk about steps I take to mitigate, listening to music when I need to focus, break things up into smaller tasks, keep track of them on Trello, etc.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

makes me feel great that I'm the second-oldest regdate in the old people thread for miles and miles

3 month :argh:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Executive, Finance, People, Marketing, Operations, Product, Information, Security, Creative, Technology, Brand, Investment, Compliance, Legal, drat only 14 I could think of.

We have a "Chief Treasury Officer"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Barring rare exceptions, the counter-offer is always in bad faith and the company will be looking to replace you as soon as possible. They only made the counter-offer in order to have time to find a replacement. If they though you were worth the extra money, they'd pay you without being threatened.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The company I work for has "We do things the right way"

Guess what we don't do 80% of the time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are you the one that started the survey?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Goon Agrik is an Amazon TAM, he posts regularly in the IT threads and the cloud giant thread.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Some effort posts were made by goon TAM agrikk not too long ago:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&pagenumber=1465&perpage=40#post496507587

The Fool fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 2, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Check out this saturated market post from the newbie thread

uninverted posted:

Just landed a new position and I wanted to do a quick write-up of my search. This was in Chicago. I started applying three weeks ago, after getting turned down for a promotion for the second time in a row. Here are the stats:

26 applications
7 rejections (5 at resume stage, 2 at phone screen stage)
4 on-sites scheduled (3 attended, one canceled after taking another offer)
10 no-responses
3 offers
I cut off the rest in the middle because I got a good offer

I had 2 years of experience with a technical B. S. (tangentially related to CS). The questions I ran into were pretty much all between a leetcode easy and medium level. Almost all of it was via coderpad or a similar site. I never got a substantial take-home; the one take-home I did get was "here's an hour, timed. answer this leetcode-style question" via hackerrank. The offer I ended up taking was at a 100-ish person startup, for a 30% raise and some lottery tickets options.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Remote is hard for companies that are used to a traditional model of collaboration with people all in the same room/building.

Remote works best with companies that have remote work as part of their culture from the very beginning.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

School of How posted:

In general to figure out how working code works, I suggest putting print statements before and after a function call to see what data is going into the function, and then comes out. From there you can sort of backwards engineer what's going on inside the function.

loving lol

e: in case it isn't clear, you are a junior developer with delusions of grandeur

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 15, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

What exactly is “one year five times”, or “one year fifteen times”, or whatever?

It's a way of saying that someone's career has been stagnant, there's been no advancement, no learning, no development. It's the guy that became a product expert 5 years ago and hasn't done anything different since then. It's the dev that three years into a position is still working the same things they were in the first month.

quote:

How do you know you’re in that state?

Are you getting bored at work? Are you lacking challenge? Have you been at the same company for a couple years but there's no opportunity to advance internally?

quote:

How do you get out of it and prevent it?

You need to be proactive about pursuing new opportunities. Sometimes this is hard or impractical to do outside of work, so it is worthwhile to find an employer that values professional development.

quote:

How much do the opportunities you get affect it?

Significantly in my experience. I've seen people that have no real ambition move really fare in their careers just because they're in the right place at the right time and I've seen others that work hard every day struggle to advance because they just don't have good advance opportunities around them.

Personally, I know my career could be much further along if I lived in a different region, but that is a trade-off I've been happy with.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 16, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Try setting some specific work ours and go through 'going to work' and 'leaving work' routines.

When I was working from home regularly, I'd still go through my early morning shower, get dressed, walk the dogs, make tea routine. Then I'd go for a run to mark the end of the workday.

It doesn't need to be anything significant, just something to help you mentally separate the two modes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yes, $5 per unit + JavaScript + hiring high school students screams production ready to me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Except for the quake comment, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

40% trap
50% good intentions, but will forget or politics will prevent it from happening
10% events will happen as promised

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Would they be a good fit for the job they’re applying to? Then say all good things that are true. If not, maybe decline being a reference.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The CEO also registered the trademark for ‘We’ and then licensed it back to the company.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zoom is best at video
Slack is best at chat
Teams is best at sharing files

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This looks interesting, do you have any experience with it?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

25 mile commute is fine if it's a well maintained rural highway so your commute is actually only 30 minutes each way.

Not many tech jobs with commutes like that though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I went through the initial screening with triplebyte then gave up when I realized they didn't do any remote placements at the time I just gave up on it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I feel like you’re seriously over thinking it.

There are definitely varying levels of attention you can spend on the job hunt.

Like, you can just turn the recruiter flag on in LinkedIn and chill out for a few months if you wanted.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

This is what I did last week, I originally planned to manually search as well but at the moment I'm getting a frenzy of messages from recruiters every day and just replying to them is taking up more time than I'd like. It's really helped me understand the demands in my area and how much I could get pay wise.

I did it this spring, and got a job for my trouble that I'm starting at on Monday.

I got probably 3-5 recruiter messages a day.

1-2 / month that were worth replying to.

3 of those resulted in interviews.

So, took about 8 months to go from decision to new job, but it was really low effort and to get a 30% raise and 100% remote.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve literally never done a lunch interview, it’s always been done facing off across a conference room table like western gunfighters

Except recently, where it’s zoom instead of a conference table

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Woodsy Owl posted:

How do we all feel about bonuses?

Are bonuses just a way for companies to keep money hostage to incentivize you to stick around, while justifying paying you less so they have the option of loving you by firing you before your bonus pays out?

So they can have the option of loving you by just not paying the bonus for whatever reason they please.

Bonuses are nice, but a higher bonus is not a substitute for real compensation, do not include a potential bonus when calculating your total compensation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xtal posted:

What's a dawg?

Not much, what’s a dawg with you?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I haven’t touched a linked list since my algorithms and data structures class *check notes* 19 years ago

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

Google dings your salary if you work remote?

I don't know Google specifically, but the general rule for large (over 50 people) companies is all positions need to be advertised before they can be filled. There's also a rule that you can't reject a candidate for being over qualified, but that's a lot easier to work around. The root of both rules is to encourage open and fair hiring.

while your sentiment is fine, your threshold for a "large" org is missing some zeros

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hmm

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

do you have a source, because initial search results show multiple answers between 500 and 1500

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

do you have a source, because initial search results show multiple answers between 500 and 1500

berkeley says 50, san francisco says 100, the sba says "more than 1500 or 41.5mil revenue"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda of unrelated but I’m getting pretty sick of the most senior engineer on this team being super picky about the PRs I put up. Single line comments like “no make it one function”, I do so and then he’s like “no put this field on this struct and do these specific things that I did not explain at all in the original bug”.

Like just do the ticket yourself then. Or take some communication/socializing classes.

Am I just being lovely? I feel like almost everything I do on this team is just implement something exactly how some other dev orders it. I haven’t grown as an engineer at all.

it took me a while to get over the habit of reviewing a pr as if it was my own code

these days as long as it works, follows convention, and doesn't introduce new problems, I'll mash that approve button with minimal comments