Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Because of you N'wahs now I want to play Morrowind again. But just to spite you I installed Skyrim and I am going to do something wild and dangerous - play with no mods. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

coolest thing in morrowind was seeing the ghost fence for the first time

I remember all those years ago when I first played Morrowind, I came upon Ghotfence and saw a lone ash monster banging his head on the wall. Was so scared that I couldn't come near the fence for quite some time.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Athletics takes forever, but it is automatically leveled when you run (and you'll run). Acrobatics are easier and they increase your strength so it is incredibly useful. But I can't break my addiction of jumping around everywhere in MW because of them :saddowns:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The Protagonist posted:

I'm torn between unarmored and medium armor now too, how does mixing that work? Does unarmored really suffer for having any other types of armor equipped, or say if I've just got pants on do the two skills multiply? Game mechanics from '02 how do they work :confused:

Unarmored and armored is perfectly mixable. Unarmored gives you armor per slot (chest, legs, feet...), so if you wear a medium cuirass it will just override your chest unarmored armor rating. That said, unarmored is the worst kind of armor out there, so if an attack hits your unarmored legs it will probably deal more damage than if it hits you somewhere where you have a decent armor.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Dr. Lenin posted:

Is there a lot of stuff to do in it or is it basically look at cool stuff kind of a thing?

Also, I haven't played in years, how's this for a spear / mage / sexhaver build:

Major Skills
Spear
Medium Armor
Destruction
Alteration
Alchemy

Minor Skills
Mysticism
Restoration
Conjuration
Athletics
Enchant

Call him Baron of Move Like This. Enchant your spear with absorb milk on hit and call it MUATRA. Now you're good to go :black101:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Oldstench posted:

poo poo. i guess i can uninstall the overhaul and reinstall.

Open the .rar file of that mod and see which files are his. Then delete those in your data folder (hope that you didn't had to overwrite something). Most of the mods have neatly packed files in folders so it's not hard to find them. If the mod came with installer then there is probably an uninstaller somewhere.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm assuming he's referring to the MGSO overhaul, which comes as an exe :(

Oh. Oldstench, what mod are you talking about? Everything I needed to tweak could be done by opening "MGSO options" file in the install directory.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Zero Star posted:

In particular, there's a magic axe in a hollow treestump next to the lighthouse. Look for the stagnant pool next door (but not the one where Fargoth hides his stash)

There are also 25 drakes and a silver goblet in a tree stump right next to the door of the lighthouse :toot:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Winter Fresh posted:

people still play this poo poo game lmao

Wake up!

We're here. Why are you shaking? Are you OK?

Wake up!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I have a feeling that you and I are to become VERY close!

- Fargoth, three seconds before his sudden and unexpected death

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mr. Mallory posted:

Is there any way you can get a constant mana regen without cheating?

Nope, you need mods to have constant mana regeneration.

You can use some exploits to regenerate mana, but it won't be constant.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

e: also a khajiit was a good choice for MO because that poo poo gets dark with the shader mods and they get racial night vision, also who needs some speed boots when you start with acrobatics 50

Like with everything else, there is a mod for that.

http://adul.net/?p=dl_mwmods_aduls_leggings

Basically it adds a chest that converts your boots into leggings, so that the beast races can wear them. Yes, that does include the Boots of Blinding Speed. I'm not sure about mod added boots, but everything in the base game can be converted.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fister Roboto posted:

It really only helps you when you first start out, because later when you're character is a demigod a 50-skill lock is nothing. But in the last room of the census office, the one where you get your orders, behind the dude on the bookshelf is a key. You can grab it and drop it before getting caught like the limeware platter, except that you only have like a tenth of a second because the guard is literally right next to you. It's kind of tricky because you can't even save so if you screw up you have to do the intro all over, but if you manage to grab it and drop it before the guard talks to you, you get access to the storage house. It has a poo poo ton of armor and weapons, and also a lot of moon sugar and skooma.

You can take the candle on the far side of the table, wait for him to reach you, get reprimanded and then run to the key. You can also get him a bit stuck on the table so that you have more time to reach it. But it is much easier just to move the key (have your inventory opened, click on the key to take it and then put it somewhere else on the shelf). It will be registered as a crime, he will yell at you, but you can safely take the key afterwards.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Cantorsdust posted:

I remember it having a duration, though. Was that just damage over time then?

Absorbing abilities and skills comes with a duration, so it could be that you're remembering.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

hailthefish posted:

Only MSGO bug I've had is that stupid missing table mesh.

xPanda posted:

I've encountered a few instances where doors which should lead to the inside of buildings appear as regular openable doors, which just swing open to reveal the empty inside of the building - leaving no way to go in. I don't recall that ever happening in vanilla Morrowind.

Also, drat this thread for making me reinstall this and play it. I had work to do.

Both of those are fixed in MGSO patch.

http://download.fliggerty.com/download--726

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Whorelord posted:

tried it, and it didn't work for me :(

I wanted my bone(er)lord weedhitler buddy to follow me everywhere, but alas

I think it was fixed in either unofficial patch or in code patch. I presume you have them installed?

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 19, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Umm people, you know that when you click on "options" in lower right corner of your journal it shows a list of topics and one button that says "quests" on the right side. Click that and you will have a list of your active quests with arranged dialogue for them. This was added in Tribunal which I believe you all have.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

With enchanting you can enchant various items with magical properties (with soulgems), enchanted items need less charges to be used and you can recharge them more efficiently (with soulgems).

Soulgems are bread and butter of your enchanter. You can find them around the world or buy them from a merchant. But they are useless while empty so they need to be filled (you can find some already filled but that is rare). In order to fill them you must first learn a spell called "Soul Trap" from the school of Mysticism or find an enchanted item that grants you that spell. Cast that spell on a creature you are fighting and kill it within the time limit, which is 60 seconds for that particular spell. You cannot use it on humanoids because there are no black soulgems in Morrowind. Anyway, when you kill a creature his soul will fill a soulgem in your inventory but only if the gem is large enough. You would also want to keep variable sizes of gems on you so that you don't fill a grand soulgem with a soul of a rat. That's just wasteful.

You can use that soul gem to recharge your depleted items (just drag and drop the filled gem on your character) or you can use it to enchant some item. The better quality of an item, more likely it will hold more enchantments. You will also need to learn the type of spell you want to put on the item. So for instance if you know the spell "Firebite" that deals 15-40 fire damage on touch, you can enchant the item with 5-10 fire damage on target with 5 feet radius. You enchant items by finding an enchanter and choosing the "enchanting" option in dialogue.

And lastly, while souls of all creatures can only enchant items with "on use" or "on strike" abilities, souls of some creatures (Ascended Sleepers and Golden Saints) and gods (Vivec and Almalexia) can be used to create a constant effect enchantment and that is extremely powerful.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Nah, Soul Trap is a low level spell, you will only need to train a few levels in Mysticism for it to be cast consistently.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Error 404 posted:

Or you could...y'know CHIM yourself some fat stacks of "Soulgem_Grand_Goldensaint" or however it's listed.

Tear your reality a new sleep hole, motherfucker.

CHIMMING to the limit!

Yeaaah!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fargo Fukes posted:

No need for weapons my friend! Just make yourself an Absorb Health 100pts for 1 sec spell and kill anything you come across instantly! For some reason even with all the code patches and such this is kinda bugged. It's much cheaper to cast than equivalent fire/frost/shock/poison/drain health spells, and whilst Absorb Health is meant to give the enemy back their health after the duration wears off, it doesn't (or at least it doesn't for 1 sec duration spells, haven't tried anything else).

That's not a bug, absorb health/fatigue/magicka don't give anything back and are not supposed to. That 1 second is how long the absorbing will last. Absorb attribute/skill does give everything back once it expires though.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

omg chael crash posted:

When it comes down to it, man, I own Morrowind but haven't owned Oblivion since I had it for Xbox 6 or 7 years ago. Thanks, though. Running between the two places does seem neat, for what it's worth.

It would be funny if you bought Oblivion because of this thread. :v:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Jakse posted:

If Morrowind feels a bit dated to me, what is the best class/skillset to play to make it fun in a broken way that Oblivion or Skyrim could never hope to match?

Alchemy. Make a fortify intelligence, drink it, then make another slightly stronger because of your fortified intelligence, drink that, repeat until you have fortify 23000 intelligence for 3 real life years. Then make a potion for every attribute, health, fatigue and magicka... All in the thousands.

Then make a new game because you will be utterly bored after 5 minutes.

EDIT: Oh, you wanted fun. Try every school of magic, they all have varied and fun spells like jump, fortify speed and bound weapons/armor. Except destruction, it only have direct damage spells.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 22, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

An Angry Bug posted:

Anyone know what the heck is wrong with the Adul's Leggings mod? It worked fine at first, but now it keeps spitting out an error along the lines of "cannot find referenced object _adul_trader_leggings in script" and the guy who actually makes things into leggings has vanished.

That mod has an .ems and .esp file. Make sure they are both enabled. Also it seems that you should clean it with TESame, someone in the other thread reported that it gave him errors. I never had any problems with it though :shrug:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Whorelord posted:

gently caress yeah, jiub

Imagine if that picture had an .mp3 component. The sound of a million squeaking cliff racers.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

That video should replace the intro cinematic.

"Wake up! Why are you shaking? Are you OK?

Wake up!"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Penguingo posted:

just broke into Ald Sotha and some dickhead started throwing daedric darts at me! that's like 4000 gold a pop she's throwing away!!

still desperately seeking tel fyr though. i've actually forgotten where it is and i'm tearing up azura's coast looking for it. this owns.

That also happened to me. I realized what she was throwing at me, ran straight at her and managed to get stun locked every loving throw :( When I killed her she only had one left.

Tel Fyr is south-west of Sadrith Mora.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 25, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm playing Morrowind for the first time right now in the Year of our Lord 2014 without any mods. I am in the extremely rare position of playing it after having fully played both Oblivion and Skyrim. It is the best Elder Scrolls game if for no other reason that it made me aware that in one point in time Bethesda was capable of designing quests with actual depth that require investigation and allow the player to use their own imagination and creativity when it comes to completing them.

All the haters who says that Morrowind fans are just nostalgic can gently caress off, best Elder Scrolls game then and still the best now. Also I'm not using any guide or walkthrough but I don't get lost all the time because I'm not an illiterate retard.

Good. Now stop reading this thread. Best thing about Morrowing is finding out poo poo on your own.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Blast of Confetti posted:

they should do one with the dumb cat furries next because they live in a desert and if you think about it, it's got to be like a giant litter box at this point

also it will give me a chance to show off my new triple H cup cat woman dickgirl mod

There is also a jungle part of that province, and they have something like merchant cities and there are also dozens of cat subraces so they are never gonna do it :(

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

GreatGreen posted:

I'd like for Bethesda to go to Valenwood next but lol at their ability to do forests.

If Bethesda ever finds the ability to do gigantic WoW-esque forests where the canopy is a hundred feet high and so thick you can barely see through it, while lots of area under that is actually huge open space, I'll get excited about tromping around through the woods in Nirn, but it's Bethesda, so who knows if they'll get anywhere close to that without trying to add like 6 orders of magnitude more polygons.

Now imagine if they do that and give you the option to climb trees plus moving/jumping from one tree to another. It will give you another dimension to combat/traveling.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Blast of Confetti posted:

lol beth couldn't even program walking on mountains correctly

To be frank, they couldn't even program walking on land correctly. I love Morrowind, but the number of times I got stuck on a loving rock is embarrassing. Not to mention stairs or NPCs. Daggerfall is even worse!

They got a bit better at later games though.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

In a Bethesda thread, don't worry these things happen regularly.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Well yeah, if you continue to search for them north of Caldera you will never find them :v:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

thehumandignity posted:

Speaking of which, did y'all know about the Mentor's Ring? I bet lots of you did, but I'm also sure some don't. How many of you found it completely by accident?

I have found it completely by accident on my first playthrough. Accident being me not seeing that huuuuge silt strider right next to town, so deciding to walk to Balmora :v:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I see your light armor and raise you a medium armor.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/bone

A story about creation of first bonemold armor and how its victims came back for revenge. :black101:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sekenr posted:

doing it wrong, it should be canon that nerevarine just loitered over for 500 days in creepers house

FTFY

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

thehumandignity posted:

it's equally amazing how much poo poo is broken in Morrowind due simply to Bethesda forgetting things, like adding the script for that guy offering training services, or how the medium armour master trainer was made but they forgot to put him in the game, or how the master spear trainer is inexplicably behind a locked door that is a crime for you to open and has no way of legally being unlocked

Don't forget that master in enchanting is hostile to you. And second in enchanting can only train up to level 63 and is only available to high ranking officials of Mages Guild.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

GreatGreen posted:

I saw the thumbnail version of this pic and wandered what game it was from, seeing how it couldn't possibly be Oblivion because the person in it looks at least remotely human and not at all like a potato. Okay well he looks a little like a potato but not an Oblivion potato.

That's because it's a helmet. As soon as he takes it off, his face will leak out as it should be.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Minarchist posted:

Only the native born Dunmer and the temple actually care about necromancy (despite binding their ancestors souls to the clan forever and using their bones as tomb guardians)

Yes but you see, our ancestors totally guard our tombs willingly and they gladly let their spirit be dissolved in a giant wall around a volcano. Honest! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mortimer posted:

If you're going to walk to Caldera you may as well just walk to Kummu and get all of the ingredients.

Caldera is easily reachable by Mages Guild teleporting service.

• Locked thread