Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In Lotr, what should I buy for dwarves after Khazad-dum? That plus core set doesn't seem like enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why are Team Covenant's House packs of the GOT Deluxe Expansions only a fraction of the normal price when most of the cards are for a single house?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, goons, you have convinced me and made me buy the base set for LoTR. The moment I saw the huge box and the tiny amount of space the cards occupied I knew I was going to regret the decision. Curse my lack of self-control.

Are the starter decks a viable alternative or should I dive into deckbuilding directly?

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/beorns-path-part-1-core-set-deck-building/

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/beorns-path-part-5-building-a-second-core-set-deck/

These two decks are basically the best decks that can be made from the core set. If you buy the Mirkwood packs, the blog has guides on how to expand into that, if you buy Under Hill and Over Hill it comes with 2 decklists that combine it with Core.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 7, 2014

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Oh boy, something else for me to procrastinate adding to the OP. Might also explain why they stopped Warhammer: Invasion

Is this actually the case?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Taran_Wanderer posted:

If by "board game style" you mean "construct all the decks yourself and purchase as little as possible," yeah, Game of Thrones is probably your best bet. It also has the advantage of supporting up to four players right out of the box. For the best balance, I'd suggest buying two Core Sets and building the decks along the lines listed in this thread. That thread also has suggested decks for the two other Houses if you find yourself liking the game and want to add some variety.

Star wars is much better for paying less because the deckbuilding rules reduce pressure to buy things fot that one card. Also its newer so there are fewer cards.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Khazad Dum is a bad second purchase. It's all dwarf support but not enough to make a strong dwarf deck by itself+core. I'd buy The first Hobbit first.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 13, 2014

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Usually I do easy mode first.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

A few hundred dollars of my cards just lost all value, but it serves the greater good.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Especially since the only crossover cycle is Neutral Arryns.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

alg posted:

but current LS decks will make short work of a purely defensive build.

Elaborate please.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What does tempo deck mean in Conquest context?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a resource for fundamentals of LOTR deckbuilding?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I've heard the Gondor cycle is super difficult. how difficult is ring-maker?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

On the battle of 5 armies, what does it mean that "any card effects that affect the current quest can only affect the quest phase chosen." does that mean that the failure effects at the end of the round for the 3 battles only activate for the objective chosen, or all of them thereby guaranteeing that 2 objectives will fail each round.)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Looking at Stages 2, 3, and 4 of The Battle of Five Armies, none of them mention "current quest", so the card text is always active. However, progress tokens are not removed except by card effects, so it's not guaranteed that 2 of the quest stages' Forced reactions will trigger each round. Looking at the rest of the cards in the quest, it seems likely that progress will be removed from phases that aren't being focused on, but that's because of those card effects, not from any game rule.

Removing progress counters doesn't matter, it's all about "no progress" So when I only go on one quest does that mean that i get punished from the other 2?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It really gets on my nerves how vauge the scenario rules can be and how FFG has a pathological hatred for redundancy in its instructions.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 7, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Wait does "no progress' mean no porgress counters? As opposed to no progress made this turn? This loving game...

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How does the lotr campaign log work?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Methinks we need a specific LOTR thread.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What's the best octgn guide? My eyes glaze over when i try to read one.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

goodness posted:

Open options. Look at key bindings. That's about it

I know that smart piloting of OCTGN can make it a lot more pleasant.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

goodness posted:

Will always be a pale comparison of actually playing with cards.

Elaborate please.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do i make/buy components to do that myself?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

edit-nm

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 5, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Did they ever say what the flavor was supposed to be behind Spirit Glorfindel?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the intended synergy of Meneldors Flight considering you can't save the chump discard eagles?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Abusing entering/leaving play effects like Descendant of Thorondor.

So given the eagle limitation, that's Descendant and Gwahir, 4 and 5 cost. Seems mediocre.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a good article about running a Sarumany-doomed deck?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 7, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

LOTR: Are Bad Guys "characters"?

When text is "when an enemy engages a character" does that include voluntary engagements?

Edit: When does Galadriel Speak in the Two towers I.E. Idrean's flavor text?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 9, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Has anyone here beaten The Dunland Trap?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

lotr: What is the bleeding edge precise definition of "deal damage"

If I cast heavy stroke, does the enemy shield eat the damage twice?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What happens when a bad guy attacks from the staging area? is he engaged? Does he get a shadow card?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are you sure about the shadow card if it's not instructed to fight through normal means? The design of the Dunland encounter cards seem to suggest thatshadow cards are usually only dealt during the deal shadow cards subphase, which is why some encounters specify to deal a shadow card.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Lotr is the safest investment since the "meta" can never die

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

LOTR: if a monster attacks you from staging, does it engage that player?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

LOTR: Does Erkenbrand's ability make The Day's Rising not work?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Gaming with friends and my little brother, do I do Ashes, Doomtown, Conquest or Versus? Little bro likes Legendary and is somewhat of a sore loser.

Do LOTR

speaking of LOTR, i've noticed that using generic FFG tokens on encounter cards with passive effects helps keep track of the game. I use tan for questing effects, red for combat and blue for after combat.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

lotr: does an active side quest blank the normal quest?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Am I reading Carn Dum right that if Thraudir champion has 3 sorceries revealed in staging, he gets 3 attacks?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if it's just because it's Stark, but none of the previewed cards really excite me. I was thinking whether units were inherently that exciting, or whether agendas and/or plot cards are what will dictate actual deck builds. A "loyal" House Stark agenda, for example, would probably be more interesting than Catelyn and The Blackfish, although it's good to see Stark getting some semblance of power game going on.

Taking the Black has been "shipping now" for about a week, so I would assume any day now? Presumably at around the same time as Decree of Ruin?

From the front desk guy at the FFg event center:

Sorry All, but the following card packs will be delayed until next Monday, December 7th:
*Taking the Black for A Game of Thrones
*Decree of Ruin for Conquest
*Solo's Command for Star Wars