Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

admanb posted:

I mean, Conquest adding a new Warlord in just about every pack means that anyone who wants to play something janky every month can do so, while people who just want to make small refinements to powerful decks will be able to do that.

There might be something special about Star Wars that I'm unaware of, but in general FFG LCG metas tend to stick to have monthly minor adjustments, then every few months something crazy will happen and the whole meta will shift. The latter doesn't usually happen until you have a deluxe expansion out because their just isn't enough variety of cards to support large shifts.

SWLCG is unique in that there are only 5-10 choices per deck due to the card pod mechanic. So pack to pack the meta shifts very little. That is until a pack drops that puts a new deck past the tipping point, then the meta shifts drastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fetterkey posted:

I do think Conquest has been pretty good in terms of meta shifts and deck variety. Almost every pack has made new warlords and new builds viable, which I've been very impressed by. The warlord/signature squad system strikes me as a good balance between the SWLCG "pods" and the more freeform customization that I enjoy in traditional card games. That said, I do wish some of the one-off supports and attachments were a little less swingy. Playing against Kith with Khymera Den or Cato with Tempest Blade is very different from the alternative!

Yeah, I'd prefer if all the signature squad cards were 2-4 copies simply due to the swinginess. I get that the singletons are supposed to be Big Deals but by their nature they're going to be silly swingy.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the intended synergy of Meneldors Flight considering you can't save the chump discard eagles?

Abusing entering/leaving play effects like Descendant of Thorondor.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

So given the eagle limitation, that's Descendant and Gwahir, 4 and 5 cost. Seems mediocre.

That, and expensive way to heal/remove conditions?

I only just started playing so there might be more.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

House Baratheon preview up. Preorders are also available at CSI, which is probably a good thing to go for if you have any interest since the first run of these LCGs always runs out.

This going to be a 3x core set or a 2x like SWLCG?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Greyjoy preview is up, and it seems like this is very much my style. I definitely don't see a whole lot of intrigue on those cards, though.

Greyjoy do not sow (discord).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

MisterShine posted:

So how's Call of Cthulhu? It looks interesting but goddamn thats a lot of packs to have to pick up

The art is certainly pretty.

Honestly it is probably doomed to die or reboot soon.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Yes, gently caress Upper Deck with a giant rusty spike. That company deserves no money, and the IP would be better off in the hands of FFG(which makes sense given the Disney connection) or, god help me, Wizkids. I have no faith in UD making a decent product and I have no faith in their company not to be run by fuckwits.

You mean like how at last GenCon they threw together a hasty, no fanfare rerelease of Vs as a LCG, causing FFG to say "yeah we haven't licensed LCG to anyone."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So, the Call of Cthulhu LCG. What's wrong with it? Why does no one ever talk about it?

It's old, has a lot of legacy mechanics dating way back to when it was a ccg, no player base to speak of, and the barrier to entry is enormous.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Karnegal posted:

It was a core set only release tournament with no money on the line, no cut for finding an actual champ, and only six rounds of swiss. It's not really a MtG Pro Tour.

I feel ya. Anything short of a GPQ or maybe the x-0 finals of a Regular REL I simply say gently caress it. For the LCGs anything lower than Store Championship is 100% casual.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

FFG is simply running way too many "monthly" games at the moment (plus there was the company takeover or whatever the hell happened with Asmodee) so things are slipping.

I wonder if FFG will release 120x80mm sleeves. Need to protect my dixit.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Man, this thread is turning into bitter old boardgamer talk on the order of everything that isn't Twilight Struggle and Agricola is garbage. How do you not have fun playing Dead of Winter? You can go around capping zombies as a stunt dog with twin pistols.

It's not "this is absolutely no fun and I would rather have a root canal," more like "this game tried to do what other games do better, why are we buying/playing this one?"

fozzy fosbourne posted:

there seems to be a reality distortion field of positive hype around plaid hat games sometimes where it feels like people who are otherwise critical thinking about games give these a pass on a real thorough critical appraisal

The Ready Player One effect.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
L5R has an absolutely insane amount of bookkeeping for each combat. So many +X/+Y effects, abilities gained for a turn, remembering what abilities were used, etc, etc, what feels like 30 different keywords, lousy "natural language" templating, rulebook mechanics that you'd never find on a card, and every action being a solid paragraph of text. Couple that with AEG's notoriously problematic playtesting and the necessity of promo cards and it is amazing that it was still a fun game.

Can't wait to see what FFG pulls off with it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Devlan Mud posted:

Meanwhile, in the four months between the end of the Warlord cycle and FFG finally releasing Tyranids, the delay has smothered all interest in Conquest around here with a pillow. Although to be fair, a not-insignificant chunk of players were GoT guys who had jumped ship, only to get GoT2 less than a year after Conquest released and jump right back.

I'm only slightly disappointed, because I like Conquest far better than Netrunner (both LCGs have big problems, but at least they're different problems), but the only LCG with a steady playgroup here is Netrunner and I haven't been able to muster up the desire to play that game in months. At least I still have X Wing, and to a lesser extent, Armada. I really like the concept of LCGs, but FFG's execution of the format is really burning me out.

ANR had a die down after the first big expansion was released and the unscheduled lull. Star Wars is up in the air.

What I want from FFG right now is a true organized play system and judge program. Being able to find tournaments without the FBook meander would do wonders.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I think the WH squads would've been better as a 4x Unit, 3x Event, 3x Support format. Deck defining, no insane variance on 1x of an attachment.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

To nobody's real surprise, Call of Cthulhu is dead.

PS: Where the gently caress are my tyranids?

I'm not surprised, but am somewhat saddened. I love the art, and liked the FFG promoting a more grounded game. But a single company can't really be invested in that many games occupying the same market. We've got Netrunner, GoT 2.0, WH40k, Star Wars, and now L5R is a huge chunk of "people playing card games not named Magic."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It would be cool if these games could launch with something a little more aggressive in their first year. Maybe keep the Core Set the same size, but print twice as many cards in the first year as they normally do

I understand this, but I also understand wanting some time 'in the wild' as it were. Designers sometimes miss things that become apparent when the tester pool goes from double digits to 5-6 digits. There's a lot of things that I'm sure they wish they could go back and change (Astroscript, Corroder/Datasucker influence, Desperado). Having a bit more time to become familiar with how the game is being played can be very beneficial.

Have to imagine that L5R is going to be the last LCG rolled out for a long while, and that has over a dozen years of play experience to learn from.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I agree that the cores need to rotate, but we'll see. Honestly, with 20 cards per month it's going to be awhile until ANR feels ready for rotation. The x-wing Coreset doesn't supplant the original except for damage deck

The current method of coresets helps the early time. 1-ofs for most cards means more diversity, and invested players can go ahead and buy 3x cores.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It would be cool if they made a digital version of Call of Cthulhu, now that it wouldn't compete with the card game. They would have to implement AIs, but even if it were just an old school Duels of the Planeswalkers type of game with limited deck building, I would buy that. They could advertise their LCGs in it somehow.

The likelihood of them throwing a significant amount of money to digitize a game they just cancelled is somewhere between zero and zero.

Edit: besides, there's already OCTGN.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Ashes was fun when I played it, but I can't see it gaining enough traction to justify purchase. Dice based resource coupled to LCG decks stapled to online CCG style limited board size combat seems to be pulling in too many directions.

Maybe I'll be proven pleasantly incorrect.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

unless GW explodes and reboots 40k like it did Fantasy Conquest is safe for now.

Rumors in the pipeline that 40K is about 6-8 months out from having a similar meltdown.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Minrad posted:

Have FFG ever expressed interest in venturing to an online client for their LCGs? Considering how liberal they are with allowing sites like ConquestDB, CardgameDB, etc to exist I'd guess not, since playing with OCTGN/Tabletop Simulator/Jinteki/etc all seem to be 'okay'... or at the very least they haven't tried to stamp those out. Living in bumfuck nowhere: The South, my options for actually playing any LCGs irl is pretty much nil, which is a shame since I absolutely adore the model they have set up compared to MTG/Hearthstone/etc.

OCTGN and Tabletop Simulators are both okay mediums for play but I'd love official support for their games with real matchmaking and high-res art and so on.

It is highly unlikely. The money simply isn't there.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

AEG sells the publication rights of 7th Sea to John Wick Presents: http://www.alderac.com/blog/2015/11/03/a-return-to-7th-sea/

I don't know if this actually means anything, though. Also, what's with the AEG fire sale? First L5R and now 7th Sea?

Looks like AEG is trying to take a flying leap out of RPGs and into small board games. Doomtown is their Big Game, as many variants of Love Letter as they can trick distributors into putting on shelves, and Smash Up.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does anyone have info on the Vs. relaunch anyways? That hit with very little fanfare.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there a thread where Asmodee's announcement is being discussed and they're also not rehashing the multiple-cores-is-stupid-no-it-isn't for the ~75th time?

Because already I loathe the same effing argument cropping up when L5R releases and that's already a year away.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

If you go on non-mobile, you can see the others, too. The Eeyrie for AGoT is the only other LCG though.

Loving the C3PO as a promo.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Love the flavor of Neophyte Apprentice. Feels like tossing rookies into the churn in XCom.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I feel like there's a huge missed opportunity in not calling Smasha Gun Battery "Smarta Gun Battery."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's been awhile since I played LotR, but Thalin's auto-kill stops crows from surging?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's very possible for players to also rally against a choice for being too good. The Collective in Netrunner was too bonkers to see print.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

A discussion about ice in Netrunner got me thinking- has there ever been a good collectible card game where throwing down big, expensive 'creature' cards has not been super risky?

It comes down to the question of efficiency. If removal has no reasonable banding mechanic and can kill a big threat for cheap then there's risk. However, if removal is more the style of "deal 3 damage to all creatures" then larger threats are less risky.

Another way of allowing battleships to thrive is limiting attacks. GoT does this, combined with the cheap removal being of the "eliminate all small threats" style. L5R was similar in that you only had 4 battlefields worth and your big guys shrugged off the typical kill cards. Or at least made them risky to use.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

tokenbrownguy posted:

I'm looking to sell a complete AGoT2 collection (minus whatever the most recent pack was). Anyone have any experience trying to sell something like that?

Condition and total cost to ship to Portland, OR?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
X-Wing and SW are huge sellers. The SW LCG outsells even Netrunner I believe.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

sonatinas posted:

Sales figures dispute that claim. For most of last year ANR had the most sales for the non collectible card market (for LCGs only)per the magazine Internal Correspondence. Last Winter Quarter, Thrones v2 outsold ANR.

I stand corrected, misheard some buzz then.

I know SW is strong both in sales and their online forum, but yes there seem to be no tourney players. Not that I've touched it in awhile, it was the LCG that I played with my ex.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Of course Night Watch is weak. The wall was meant to fall.

Conspiracy101.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Please stop quoting Literally The Worst. If you haven't blocked him yet don't make the rest of us suffer along with you.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The WH40K license being lost has been speculated on but never confirmed here afaik. Kind of a big deal. Would love to see GW explain that in their next Annual Report.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Much prefer a large pool of 1-2x copies than the smaller pool if 1-3x copies.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So AHLCG requires something insane like 4 core boxes to cover 4 players.

There's 5 categories, with each of the five characters covering 2 of them. Most player cards are singleton in the core set, with deck able to contain 2 of each card
Am I misunderstanding this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Anywhere to buy the clear FFG sleeves in bulk?

Don't. They're all cut overly tall to the point they don't fit in all card boxes.