Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
For your first deck have you considered Nori as the third hero? He'd be more useful if you had more dwarf allies than just Kili and Fili but if you're not going to take advantage of Dunhere's attacking ability then maybe Nori's higher Willpower and Defense might benefit you.

Also how useful has Wandering Took proved for you? I haven't ever used it in a deck before so I haven't seen it in action.

One last thing, my friends and I like to play this game with 3 or 4 people and Into the Deep keeps kicking our rear end. Anyone have any general advice for that quest? It seems to me that the key is location management but I'm not sure what cards besides Secret Paths and Northern Tracker we should be focusing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

Did my organization last night

Now to finish off the Dwarrowdelf cycle and move on to the Hobbit! Once I finish that I can finally legitimize getting another expansion haha.

I really should have cut my AP's the way you did, I cut them so that the name shows if I store the cards upright, but I don't actually have any storage options to store them upright. Oh well.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
So my buddy and I both own all of the currently out cards, except for those in the Saga expansions. We mostly play multiplayer with 3+ players and some adventures have really wrecked our faces because of the relatively high number of people. Do you guys think us combining our encounter decks will make the game more or less challenging?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Carteret posted:

Have you tried Easy mode? Before you completely shatter the game experience, I'd try this first.

We have. It's just playing with so many people can make the encounter deck run through pretty quick which I'm not sure is unbalancing the quests.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

tijag posted:

My understanding is that it gets easier with multiple people, not harder. 2 players is the 'balanced' level.

In practice having so many cards drawn each round can really gently caress you, especially in Against the Shadow quests. Druadan Forest has a reputation for being extremely difficult if everyone doesn't have a deck deliberately built for it. Though you could argue that building "all comers" decks is playing the game wrong.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I don't remember if I read it here or on the FFG forums but someone said that for the LotR LCG, they end up announcing all the APs in the cycle before any of them are actually available. If this is true, do they release all the APs at once?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Carteret posted:

This is true for pretty much every LCG. We know months ahead of time some of the cards in each pack, and that's about it. Sadly, as stated above, we don't get them all at once.

Ugh this wait is gonna kill me, I love Lothlorien related stuff so all the Silvan cards they teased have me super excited.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sirtommygunn posted:

Yes, Gandalf and a few good cards from each sphere (most notably Unexpected Courage) don't come with 3 copies, so you'd need to get 3 core sets if you wanted to have 3 copies of every good card. Although, since you're playing against scenario decks and not other people's decks it's not as important to have the best possible deck.

You can find a lot of folks on ebay who bought cores and are piecing out the cards. It was worth it to me to buy from a dude who was selling one of each of the cards that you only get two of in the core set but I haven't seen anyone selling sets of the 1/core cards for less than an actual core set.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

fugly posted:

FFG do not make it easy to get into their games after the first year or so. Trying to get core sets for lotr in the UK is a nightmare.

The core set will be in stores by the end of the month hopefully, they just reprinted it and its on the boat now from China. At least, it will be in the US. I have no idea if it will take longer for UK stores to stock it. Guess it depends if it has to ship to the US first and then to you.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

Alright I am nearly caught up on my current content. What do you guys think I should tackle next? The Shadows of Mirkwood cycle or Against the Shadow?

I have Core, Dwarrowdelf, Black Riders, Over Hill and Under Hill (waiting on reprint of the second one). I don't care about going in order, just looking for interesting stuff :)

I've been going through the quests in order of release with my friends and we recently finished Shadows of Mirkwood. We always play with 3 or 4 people so our experience may be different from yours. The quests in it are about the same level of fun as the Core set. However, for us about half of them were win/lose immediately, like if we had a great opening hand/lucky encounter pull we were guaranteed a win in a turn or two, but if not, complete failure. Our amount of players and varied starting Threat values probably is what caused this win/lose situation though. We haven't really done any Against the Shadow quests, but they have a reputation for difficulty and I know they have some gimmicks like questing with attack or defense values instead of willpower.

From a player card perspective it depends on what decks you like to play with which cycle you should go for, but I will say that Shadows has Song cards that allow you to attach another sphere to a hero which makes playing tri and dual sphere decks easier.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

I think I'll just get the Mirkwood cycle. Might as well have the general order of cards even though your description of the quests isn't the best. Thanks!

Also general article about theme/gameplay from a few days ago if people didn't see it: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4739

Don't get me wrong, we really enjoyed ourselves playing through the cycle, I just feel like those quests aren't the best the game has to offer.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sirtommygunn posted:

I managed to get through The Hunt for Gollum and Conflict at the Carrock adventure packs with a friend recently; I feel like location spam is really difficult to deal with, while enemies are rarely a threat. We lost The Hunt for Gollum maybe 5 times because we didn't draw a Northern Tracker to deal with the 8+ locations that would keep ending up in the staging area, and once you fall behind it's nearly impossible to catch up. We only have the core set + Mirkwood cycle cards right now, and I'm not seeing a lot of ways to deal with large numbers of locations beyond NT + card draw to find him, any suggestions?

On the other hand, we cruised through Conflict at the Carrock, though that was probably because we found Grimbeorn and the location that counts any resource as leadership as the first two cards pulled out of the deck. Might revisit it to see how it is without that kind of insane luck.

With your amount of cards Lorien Guide and Legolas are probably your only other options for dealing with locations. There's a Rohan ally that lets you discard it to put progress tokens on a location, but I don't remember which card that is or where it comes from. Glorfindel with Asfaloth is great for dealing with locations, that card is in one of the Dwarrowdelf APs, probably the one with Spirit Glorfindel(Foundations of Stone, I think.)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

jivjov posted:

So I'm trying to create an account over at CardGameDB, and I've had them resend the validation email 3 or 4 times now but I haven't gotten. Do they normally take forever to send e-mails out?

I had that issue when I first tried to make an account too. Unfortunately, I don't know if I solved it by doing something different or if it just worked eventually.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

More news about the ringmaker cycle: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4798
...Galadriel :stare:
What a unique hero.

That said I haven't played much recently, although this weekend is a big game-a-thon with my college friends and a bunch of them want to learn :) Hoping to get a bunch of them excited to play so its just not a solo game for me.

Galadriel/Celeborn secrecy deck is the first thing I'm gonna try when this cycle is over.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

SettingSun posted:

Both you guys are right. We tried again with the other two spheres and it was easy as pie. It really emphasizes how different the spheres are really. At least she's open to playing again in the future. Now I'm excited to pick up some more cards for some deckbuilding.

As for what to start with, I think Khazad Dum and the Dwarrodelf cycle have a lot of great cards in them (Spirit Glorfindel is broke as gently caress and amazing) but honestly it's best to just buy whatever is available cause the cards are always going out of stock and it's annoying waiting for the next printing to come in from China. The Fantasy Flight site has a cool upcoming page that lets you know what part of the process the restocks are in though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Amoeba102 posted:

Well I only spent a little bit of time on the next two OHUH scenarios. I had a lot of trouble with the Misty Mountains Grim due to massive chain reactions with Galloping Boulders and Suspicious Crows. I had to luck out to get past that part unscathed, and then mopped up easily.
Dungeons dark and Caverns Dim I only got one shot at. Even though I managed to pass the Riddle part, as soon as I did I got two of the "Each layer find a creature card in the deck/discard and put it into play engaged with you" treachery cards in a row, which have surge due to the quest card.

There are so many little things that just cause chain reactions in these two scenarios that it is pretty tough to deal with it sometimes.
I guess thematically - There wre uncontrollable landslides that killed the characters, or once they excaped the goblin caverns and regrouped, they got swarmed.
But as for gameplay, I don't know what I can do to mitigate these problems. I have half as much trouble with Dol Guldur than I have with any of the three OHUH quests - on average. Sometimes I seem to get a breezy run, but usually it's a lot of pain and knowing I've lost before I've started.

That sounds rough. I haven't played those yet, so I guess I'll have to be super prepared when I get to them. I will say that there were a bunch of quests in the first cycle where it felt like you either won right away or lost right away purely due to the luck of the draw.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4852

Last AP for the Ringmaker cycle has been announced and the Dunland Trap now says "June" on the upcoming page instead of Q2. Glad these are finally coming out, I'm psyched for increased Silvan support and I'm hoping for more Mount cards. Last AP has a Rohan hero so it would be cool to mix up the Rohan deck I keep pre-built.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
My friends and I tried the Redhorn Gate last night. We started rough, then were going pretty smooth until we hit Stage 3 of the quest. We hadn't cleared Caradhras beforehand so we were hit with the -1 to hope to all chars, and stage 3 kills any characters with 0 hope. We immediately gave up as this killed all 3 of one of my friends heroes and 2 of my other friends. Ouch.

We now know enough about the quest to plan for this stuff, but it got me wondering. How many of you read the quest/encounter cards of a new quest before you do the quest? We usually just go in blind, and I think I like it better this way, even though it can lead to situations like last night where we lose horribly.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
My friends and I tried Road to Rivendell tonight. That quest is just mean. We barely made any progress on the first phase before we called it a night. The worst was the Orc Raiders that kept forcing us to discard our attachments. I'm not even sure how to build a good deck for this quest, maybe just lots of cheap allies? Anyone have any advice?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
The new LotR Adventure Pack is out! I should be picking up mine tonight.

My two main decks are an Elf Deck with Elrohir, Elladan and Mirlonde and a Rohan deck that's pretty close to the one they developers wrote in a Second Breakfast article (Dunhere, Eomer and Eowyn). I'm pretty excited to try out the new Silvan cards and the new mount card. I may swap Elladan and Elrohir in my elf deck for Celeborn and Legolas to make the deck into Silvan only. This whole cycle is pretty exciting to me and I'm glad it's finally starting to be released.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

jivjov posted:

So I've decided to get back in to the LotR LCG. I was gonna play it with my wife, but she found the rules too complicated; so I'll be playing solo. I have the Core box and all 6 Mirkwood packs; should I try to make a deck that'll get me through everything, or should I sit down and design a deck specifically for each challenge? I kinda feel like the latter approach sucks some of the fun out of the game, but before my wife and I gave up we had banged our head against the Troll quest in the core box 2 or 3 times.

My friends and I all like to make themed decks and swap out individual cards if we lose a quest multiple times. If you're playing solo, play two handed, the interplay between the decks is half the fun and it will make it less likely that you will be completely unable to beat individual quests.

I have to say I'm loving the new silvan cards. Celeborn is amazing.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

DontMockMySmock posted:

Kill all exhausted characters? On a shadow? I just went and looked through the encounter cards for that quest and found nothing of the sort. The only thing remotely like that is a treachery card, Undisturbed Bones, which can only kill Arwen if she is the only ally you control and you hit two of them.

As for your Flight from Moria thing yeah that sounds pretty BS. I haven't done that quest so I'm not really sure how it works.

He's talking about Sleeping Sentry. gently caress that card.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I haven't played too many of the newer quests, but Khazad Dum and accompanying series of packs like Road to Rivendell, had a lot of pretty ridiculous answer or die bullshit in them that I think they've swung away from in general in later releases. The most annoying quests I can think of all come from that set.

This is good to hear. My friends and I have just one quest left for the Dwarrowdelf cycle and then it's on to Against the Shadow. We've enjoyed all the quests so far but there are for sure some mean mean cards in them that are just kind of bullshit. Like Sleeping Sentry.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I don't know how you guys feel about fanmade stuff, but the guy who runs Tales from the Cards(a really good LotR LCG blog) created his own expansion. It's called The First Age, and so obviously has all sorts of cards related to stories from the First Age in the Silmarillion. http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/first-age/

I haven't looked too deep into what he's done with it besides glancing through the player cards, but it sure is extensive.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Carteret posted:

This is becoming a serious problem. I'm barely buying anything not made by FFG as far as board games go anymore.

I feel like the next step is just to set up an EFT direct to FFG and cut out the middleman. :ohdear:

Between X-Wing, the Star Wars RPG systems, and the LotR LCG I'm giving FFG so much of my money.

RE: Gandalf hero, there's a dude on the FFG forums who keeps hinting at even more attachments for Gandalf in that box. Possibly something related to Shadowfax based on his responses to other people.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
For all the LotR LCG fans the new pack is coming out the 21st and full spoilers for it are up on cardgamedb. New Haldir hero!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Taran_Wanderer posted:

With all the neat stuff coming out, my interest in LOTR has been rekindled. I've built a Hobbit deck that I'm pretty happy with, but I'm less pleased with this Rohan deck I made to (optionally) partner with it. I'd rather go with a Spirit/Tactics deck, but I don't have Voice of Isengard's cool Rohan cards. Anyone have thoughts?

I honestly think Dunhere doesn't work without some Spears of the Mark and Quick Strike. If you have Hama, sub him in for one of your other heroes so you can get multiple uses of Quick Strike. I use it all the time now to take out dudes in the staging area during the questing phase.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Dunhere either, but oh man, does that does sound fun. I was hoping Dunedain Mark would be enough to make Dunhere more useful. Unfortunately, no Hama for me at the moment. I picked Theodred as he's another Rohan hero, but a Tactics guy would probably work better. Probably Beregond, so there's a good defender on this side of the board.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Dunhere, just not as he was released. I'm broken and own all the cards (and extra core set cards that I bought of ebay) so I've got all the toys that make him fun. And it totally is fun.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Any advice on Siege of Cair Andros? My friends and I finally got through Into Ithilien and it looks like this quest is even more bullshit. We're probably making it harder by playing with 4 people, but we did drop to Easy Mode.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

It looks so good. They really are killing it with LOTR.
My poor poor wallet.

Also I find it pretty funny that they basically announced two more Aragorn heroes. Probably a tactics one there and a Fellowship sphere one. We must have ALL THE ARAGORNS.

That tactics Aragorn is pretty dope too. -1 Defense to all enemies engaged with you and after he kills an enemy you can engage another one.

You are correct that there's a Fellowship Aragorn coming in Treason of Saruman, but I don't think anyone has figured out what his text is.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Tales from the Cards has some good articles about mono-sphere decks over here. The various mono-sphere cards from the Against the Shadow Cycle are usually good choices, too.

Hall of Beorn also has a ton of deck lists for various themes and strategies.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

Lost Realm info was posted!
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5003
Focus seems to be on rangers!

Also the cycle is called Angmar Awakened!

Even more information on this page: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=249&esem=1

Ranger of the North is a sick new concept. You use a Leadership event to shuffle it into the encounter deck and when it's revealed it either does two damage or adds two progress to a location and then first player chooses who gets to control it.

Personally I'm pumped for these new ranger mechanics.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Carteret posted:

We'll see. They have been showing images of it off and on for a while now, and it looks like something they'll do eventually. They already use them for their PoD stuff, and if anything it will just make their products have a unified image on the shelf.

I think it's because the POD stuff is printed in the US and the rest of the LotR stuff is printed in China.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So far aside from black riders I just got the uh first phase adventure packs? The ones not sold out at least. How often do they reprint them?

Every couple of months, if you check the Upcoming page on the FFG it will give you a rough idea of what's in the pipeline and when it will arrive. I say rough because FFG and deadlines don't mix well.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sirtommygunn posted:

Me and my friend are progressing through the LOTR LCG mostly in the order they came out and I have a question: is there supposed to be a massive difficulty spike at Heirs of Numenor? We'd been doing well up to this point with half-assed decks but now we can barely get passed the first couple rounds without a perfect starting hand. It seems like these quests are extremely front-loaded. So much so, that even when we get by the starting enemies the damage they've done has caused us to play the rest of the game on a knife's edge.

Also we got to use the new Gandalf and he is exactly as amazing as you'd expect. Playing the top of the deck saved us a few times but mostly just acted as a ridiculous amount of free card draw. I was also extremely impressed by Gandalf's staff, having a free hasty stroke every turn is pretty good it turns out, and if you don't need it for that then a free resource or card is good too.

Heirs of Numenor and the Against the Shadow cycle can be very difficult. My friends and I frequently dropped to Easy Mode during the Heirs of Numenor quests and the quests from AtS that we've done so far. You really need to think about strategy and building or modifying your decks for the specific quests in this cycle. Thematically, many of them are pretty cool, but boy are they rough.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Amoeba102 posted:

In LOTR, I've managged beat the Black Riders box for the first time, and with themtic-ish decks and in campaign mode to boot. I have previously finished the first two scenarios with the suggested deck, but hace had trouble trying to run two-handed.
I went with a Sam/Merry/Pippin and an Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas set of decks. With the first deck relying heavily on having spare willpower to throw around for hide tests, it was a rough start. It took maybe 2 or 3 tries to get it - with one of the failed attempts not even getting past th first quest card despite killing all the nazgul easily enough. But I perservered and got through it, eventually, with a bit of thanks to lucky draws no doubt.
I took "The Ring draws them" and the elf boon card (oh god I fell bad for forgetting his name).
The rest was actually fairly easy considering now Tactics had more kills to make. I got through to Rivendell one-shotting the next two scenarios. A buffed up Gimli and a Legolas/Merry combo was good for both kills and bonus quest tokens. Sam became a tireless ranger and Aragorn a noble hero. And in going from Weathertop to Rivendell I only picked up one burden card, and didn't explore the Bruinen opting to kill all the nazgul myself.
All in all it's looking good for my decks and I am ready to get the Road Darkens and continue my journey. Then go back and try with different heroes.

Do you mind posting your Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas deck? I've been thinking of making one myself but I can't even decide which Aragorn to use let alone what else to put in the deck.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

inSTAALed posted:

What sleeves does everybody use for LotR stuff? I need a lot.

I sleeve my active decks in Dragonshields because pretty colors, keep the rest of my player cards in a binder full of ultrapro cheap sleeve pages, and I keep my encounter cards in the core box. Well I used to keep them all in the core, but I ran out of room so I moved my Saga encounter cards to a carboard long deck box.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

djfooboo posted:

So I bought a bunch of LOTR stuff and was wondering how people play? I can either start with the low difficulty stuff or go by release date? I know the saga expansions are special in that they have card lists, but what about the other stuff? Will the quests be too easy if I have access to everything?

Ignore the difficulty numbers of each quest, they're completely nonsensical. Playing in order of release is probably best as it'll ease you into the mechanics of the game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

DatonKallandor posted:

You are literally trying to claim getting rid if cards is never bad because the next card after the ones you got rid of could be the one you need. Which doesn't work when there's a limited number of each card in the deck.

Hell there's a very simple factual way to put it:
If you need 1 card to win the match right now and you search you can win with the search. If you need 2 cards to win the match later and you search you can lose because of the search.

You're poo poo at deckbuilding if that's possible, and you're poo poo at math for continuing to argue probability.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Valour looks dope but I wish they would finish making Secrecy viable first.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

My buddy and I are hoping to start playing on OCTGN too. His wife is expecting and it is just much easier to not setup a whole card game with a child haha.

Also the latest Cardboard of the Rings podcast has an interview with the designer of LOTR LCG Caleb, super interesting. http://cardboardoftherings.com/

I really enjoyed that interview, definitely worth the 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Halbarad is almost guaranteed to be in the next deluxe expansion, The Lost Realm. We're getting 2 Dunedain Heroes and one is Tactics Aragorn.