Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Big news about LotR LCG.

Tales from the Cards posted:

News from the FFG stream with Andrew Navaro:

* The "current iteration" of the game will end in mid-2020.
* There is not a second edition planned.
* After a break, there will be some type of new content for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

Aren't there like a million thors? I remember that weird animal person Thor distinctively, he seemed cool.

Edit: his name was Bill? Or something

Beta Ray Bill isn't Thor but he is an alien who looks like a horse and can wield Mjolnir.

One time when the multiverse got smashed together all of the various Thors formed a kind of multiversal police force and it was awesome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A few of them are actually corrupt but most were just hoodwinked by Doom, and they all turn on him when they find out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LotR has been clamshells for a while too, even for things that were originally in cardboard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Neutral title. It's a unique, so only one copy. I assume eventually we will have other characters that can use it, like Wiccan, Magik, Scarlet Witch. Maybe Ghost Rider. Really big maybes would be Doom or Loki?

Tony Stark :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I am new to the lord of the rings card game and trying to figure out where to go from the core card set. I noticed a lot of expansions are out of print now. Unsure what to get and looking for suggestions.

Going to depend on what is available really. Some boxes add in a whole new archtype for deckbuilding (eg the Lost Realm makes Dunedain decks viable), some just add in bits and pieces to boost existing ones (eg A Shadow in the East doesn't have a singular focus). I think the former is better for new players since it opens up your options more.

My ideal recommendations are

• The Black Riders. A great box in its own right and also the start of the game's retelling of the LotR books. The Sagas are one of the main appeals of the game and the LotR sets are more well-rounded than the Hobbit (which have some wonky quests and a shitload of dwarves). Buying this gives you the backbone of a hobbit deck.
  • Wilds of Rhovanion. This deluxe expansion is a great way to kickstart your collection with the strong and fun Dale archtype built around well-equipped allies. The quests are revamped versions of the stuff in the core box so it won't be as interesting in that regard
  • Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle. This is the followup to the core set, meaning the quests and cards are simpler than more recent stuff and integrate well with what you start with. The downside is that you can see the age of the design, both in the quests and the design.
  • Khazad-dum. The game was dominated by dwarves early on thanks to a combination of the Hobbit box sets, the final AP of the Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle and the Dwarrowdelf cycle. This is the starting point for the latter cycle.

But maybe none of that is available for you. Darkling Door has a good series on what it's like playing various expansions with only the core set.

The one I'd really advise against is the Against the Shadow cycle, which is when the game was the most difficult relative to the card pool. Going straight there from the core set is going to be a world of pain.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 26, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Keep an eye out for The Steward's Fear and The Mumakil. You won't be able to play the scenarios without the relevant expansions (which is why I didn't recommend them) but they both provide the foundation for an archetype (Outlands and Haradrim respectively).

But yeah, availability will be a problem in general.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah finding LotR stuff here in Aus is a pain.

Drone posted:

Is there any strict need to follow the expansions/APs for LOTR chronologically? If I continue collecting, Ringmaker is my next cycle chronologically, but some of the later stuff seems more interesting to me at first glance.

Ringmaker is really good if you want Silvan stuff. Plus Galadriel, who is as strong as she should be. If you're skipping to later expacs the player cards in Vengeance of Mordor (and to a lesser extent the Haradrim) assume you've got a decent cardpool already, while Angmar Awakened and Ered Mithrin are more about building up new archetypes.

Story-wise they are all pretty self-contained, although the Haradrim cycle continues directly from the Dreamchaser stuff and sets up the Ered Mithrin cycle. It's not a huge deal though.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 12, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

John Romero posted:

Which games are the best to pick up right now? I'm interested in some level in most of the properties that FFG makes.

Some of these can be played one-player, right?

The FFG co-op ones (LotR, Arkham, Marvel) all can be.

I'd advise against LotR. It's great (especially if you like building decks) but availability is spotty and is only going to get worse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

John Romero posted:

Tolkien family loving with the license again?
The game is around 10 years old and has run through most of the logical content. I think FFG has gone through some internal changes too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Revised Core Set for Arkham Horror officially announced.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

LotR is pretty good and not quite dead yet.

Arguably more alive now than it has been for at least a year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Lord of the rings really suffered, in my opinion, from being a pile of bullshit. The monster decks in that are so god drat gnarly once you get outside of the core ones. I had multiple experiences in lotr that lined up with how people described their experience with Ronan the Accuser in Marvel. Which is to say, game lost on turn 2. Marvel on the other hang generally feels pretty even handed outside of the guardians box.

The LotR LCG took several years to nail down the encounter design and I don't think they really consistently got it right until the LotR Sagas and the Angmar cycle. This is evident in the reprints too, with none of those early sets being slated to reappear in the new format.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm trying to track down a copy of The Antlered Crown for the LotR LCG. It's the last thing I need for that cycle and is quite out of print. Does anybody have any advice for tracking down a copy?

I'm in Australia but can get stuff sent to a friend in the US.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

They haven't launched any new LCGs, just more stuff for Arkham and Marvel.

And rereleased a bunch of LotR stuff in more convenient formats.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Lord of the Rings LCG is getting a rerelease of the Dreamchaser cycle. It's one of the best cycles and now includes some more campaign options (which will be pnp-able as well).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

tomdidiot posted:

Lol secondary market LotR LCG Chapter pack prices are insane, espeically for the packs they aren't planning on reprinting.

Tell me about it. I'm missing the final one from the Ringmaker cycle and it's a few hundred AUD last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The player cards in Vengeance of Mordor don't have a strong central theme but do enable a lot of weird and wonderful poo poo if you have a big collection. It was a good final set for the game but you can see why they chose other sets to reprint/repackage (first?).