Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nibble posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed playing a few games with the core set, I like the ruleset a lot. For whatever reason I like keeping it as a "board game" LCG rather than a "buy a ton of cards and deckbuild" LCG.

Speaking of "buy a ton of cards", more LotR chat: tonight we tried out the decks I built against Escape from Dol Guldur, and found it... surprisingly easy? Everything just seemed to flow nicely for us and we were never particularly threatened. The one-ally-per-round restriction kept our development slow, and we got the "discard all event cards" treachery in the setup which was annoying, but none of the enemies or treacheries seemed particularly threatening: we had to read and re-read Iron Shackles because we were like "really, that's it?" I know it's definitely a scenario that's designed to be more difficult with fewer players, but we didn't expect it to feel considerably easier than Journey Along the Anduin. Anyone else have this experience, or did we just get lucky somehow? Are the Khazad-Dum and OHaUH quests generally more challenging?

You can get very lucky in Escape From Dol Guldur depending on which hero gets randomly abducted. I got through it first time with my Spirit/Leadership deck, but it would have been a very different story if Aragorn had been taken instead of Glorfindel. It was tougher without Glorf, but I had access to both spheres and by the time I got him back I already had Aragorn dual-sphered and Light of Valinor in hand for the combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

What is the best multiplayer (>2 players) LCG that isn't LOTR? Game of Thrones? Star Wars with its expansion?

Shadowfist. If you have Archives I did an LP of a four-handed game last year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The most important part being that Storyline Events will be making a comeback too. Those are a heap of fun.

The only bad thing about the announcement is that while the game remains the same, the card backs have been changed. I sort of understand why - this is Gomorra 10 years on and most of the original characters are dead or gone - but still.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't remember if I read it here or on the FFG forums but someone said that for the LotR LCG, they end up announcing all the APs in the cycle before any of them are actually available. If this is true, do they release all the APs at once?

No, it's one a month.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The third Shadowfist LCG Kickstarter just went live. If you haven't tried it before, $150 gets you the base game, the extension and the first six expansions plus two Action Packs with duplicates of staple cards for deckbuilding. It's a really good game - I did an LP of it once, though you'll need Archives to read it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PrinnySquadron posted:

I assume thats "The Sergeant" one? This game looks interesting, have you got a link to your LP?

I'm afraid not, because I don't have Archives. If you're searching it's titled "Welcome to the Secret War".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Yes, Gandalf and a few good cards from each sphere (most notably Unexpected Courage) don't come with 3 copies, so you'd need to get 3 core sets if you wanted to have 3 copies of every good card. Although, since you're playing against scenario decks and not other people's decks it's not as important to have the best possible deck.

Gandalf actually comes with four copies, so you only need a second Core if you want to play with more than one deck.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

InShaneee posted:

Should be this thread here, so long as you have archives.

Thanks for finding that, not having Archives I couldn't. Hopefully all the photos still work; they're pretty much essential to tracking what's going on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shockeh posted:

So, has anyone discussed Warhammer 40,000: Conquest yet? I want to get excited (a long history with LCG's combined with once upon a time working for GW before I got 'a proper job') but GW has such a history of 'getting involved' (read: loving up) anyone else using their IP, that I don't dare to dream yet.

Will it be good? Who the gently caress knows!

So far as I know, Games Workshop have never interfered with FFG's licensed products beyond insisting they stay accurate to the IP.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fugly posted:

FFG do not make it easy to get into their games after the first year or so. Trying to get core sets for lotr in the UK is a nightmare.

£30 direct from Amazon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I'm sad that they're going with the 4x of each card status quo though. I felt like Cheatin' was something that could be introduced later and forcing players to make Bicycle decks would have been much more interesting. Unless we see some really powerful cards that punish cheating right off the bat this is going to make for fairly boring deck building.

We know there's at least two Cheatin' cards in the set because the rulebook mentions Magical Distraction as distinct from other Cheatin' cards. I think it was important to include this rule in the base set, too, so people wouldn't misread and think they had to play singletons or bike decks.

Another point: the deck limit isn't just four of a given card - it's four cards of any given suit and value. If you play four Shadow Walks in your deck, you can't play any other card with the value 10H. The "four cards with the same name" is the secondary rule, and if you've played Doomtown before you'll recognise the hint that they plan to introduce Experienced versions of cards later on. Overall this is going to weaken Cheatin' decks a bit and reduce the likelihood of an overpowering DMH deck.

Last point is the big rule change, which is to Harrowed. In old Doomtown Harrowed Dudes would go home booted instead of being aced if they made their pull, be discarded if they didn't, and only aced on an Ace. The new rule is that you can ace a Harrowed Dude up to three times per shootout; the first sends him home booted, the second discards him and the third aces him. Harrowed Dudes are also now automatically discarded instead of aced by card effects. This makes Harrowed a much stronger ability as you can no longer kill a Harrowed Dude in a fight unless you win by a significant margin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I am massively disappointed that they're only doing the Deluxe box for people at Gencon. There was clearly a high level of interest in the deluxe box and they could have just asked for preorders on their website to gauge interest level. I don't look forward to trying to track one down on ebay later on for double or triple the original value. I've always hated these Gencon only promos or releases, I know they want to reward people for being there but sell the poo poo later on too. Knowing AEG they could just be sitting on a hundred of them, waiting to put them on ebay themselves.

It won't only be available at GenCon.

Todd C Rowland posted:

It is a limited item, not by choice though! We were somewhat taken aback by the big reaction to the game, and this Premium Set was pretty pricy to produce, so we were conservative in how many we made.

We will have it on sale at GenCon and a few other large shows we will be at this year. The supplies will however be limited and we will be unable to allow preordering or reserving them.

An additional amount of these Premium sets will be made available to retailers around the world to sell to their customers, based on their carrying the basic set.

Then, if demand is still high, we will produce more of these, but we are unable to commit to larger quantities until we actually see how fast they and the basic base set sell through.

So you will be able to get DTR Deluxe from your FLGS, and if you miss out there's a pre-announced second print.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Carteret posted:

Yeah, currently nothing is sold in blister packs besides the POD products.

Netrunner Draft Packs are also sold in blisters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

InShaneee posted:

Don't worry, if it's anything like the Netrunner launch, most of the GenCon stock will be on eBay/Craigslist before the weekend is over.

At triple price for the Deluxe Edition, no doubt.

The next round of Shadowfist expansions are on their way to backers now, so I should have those in the next couple of weeks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I absolutely love Deadlands, but never got around to trying Doomtown. I feel kind of iffy about AEG's rules a lot of the time from my experience with L5R and some of their other games, moreso than FFG- enough so that I'm definitely going to wait until I hear some more reviews/see it played before I jump on board. Are there any preview copy reviews or anything floating about?

If people really want to know what it's about, I'll do a four-sided LP of the classic game (using some of the new rules for shootouts) in the same manner as my Shadowfist LP. I have eight bicycle decks together already, so I can either pick the four that most closely match the new factions (Law Dogs, Black Jacks, Sweetrock and Whateleys) or pick decks that show off everything bar Cheating (Black Jacks, Texas Rangers, Collegium and Sioux Nation).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm going to try to start in on the Doomtown LP at or before the weekend. Can people let me know if there's anything particular they're curious about and which set of decks they'd prefer (most like DTR or "all bells and whistles").

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

omnibobb posted:

I thought it was, hence Doomtown being an Expandable Card Game.

And Shadowfist is a Dynamic Card Game. Most people just refer to them all as LCGs, though. It's not like FFG didn't borrow the term from Living Rulebooks anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

The VS System one says Living Card Game on the back, though.

And they'll get a visit from the men with briefcases soon enough. For that matter, my understanding was that UDE didn't even have the rights to Vs any more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LordNat posted:

That said I want nothing more than a LCG remake of V:TES. It is by FAR the best multiplier CCG ever made, Only thing that even came close was Doomtown and that breaks at 5+. I have hard well working games of V:TES with 7+ players, they take forever but are insanely fun.

Shadowfist and Doomtown are both better than VTES.

E: Doomtown has better mechanics, particularly in Reloaded, and Shadowfist is much smarter in the way it handles combat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Karnegal posted:

Haven't really looked at conquest, maybe tomorrow
I do have a doomtown premium set though.

I'm going to kill you and defile your Harrowed rear end. :rant:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Hey, I was thinking I'd finally get into Shadowfist but there are no videos of it on Youtube. I remember you did a Let's Play right?

I did, but it was photos and detailed description. I think you need Archives to see it now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Alright, I hunted through your post history and couldn't find it. I went to LP section and saw a post that said some of the old LP threads randomly disappear off the server and it wasn't listed on the master list either, if you can dredge it up I'd like to check it out, but in the meanwhile tell me: if I wanted to pick up the game and get decks for all the factions, where and how should I do that. Also how many of the expansions would I likely want to pick up? Looking at the format it seems there's a lot of netural cards in the expansions that would crossover factions. Which ones are worth getting more of and in what quantity? I'm not looking for anything competitve just some stuff to have a balanced-ish deck for each faction that I can pull out and mess around with.

You can get perfectly balanced decks for all six factions by purchasing one copy each of Combat in Kowloon and Back For Seconds. Any of the first three Shadowpacks are viable as expansions to this. I would definitely buy Reloaded, though, as it has at least one essential card for most factions. Again, for basic fun decks you need only one copy. The second wave of Shadowpacks is on the boat right now and I should have my copies soon.

If you really get into it and want to do some serious deckbuilding then buy two more copies of everything - while technically you can play five copies of a card in Shadowfist, a lot of cards are unique and there's duplicates of most of the key cards. There's also the Rebirth pack that contains a copy of 50 of the staple non-uniques.

There's a very limited amount of stock on Amazon; one of everything as I write. You are specifically looking for CiK, BFS, Reloaded, Reinforcements and Revelations, the whole of which will cost $72. If you miss that you can buy it from the official store, but it's more expensive there. You could also wait for the next Kickstarter, as there's always a level where you can buy the new packs plus the base game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I look forward to telling you how much I dislike the game and how I'm stupid for listening to you but it's what I deserve for listening to a guy named "Jedit" and isn't rocking the Legends artwork.

I use the Legends artwork everywhere else I have an avatar, as it happens.

Two recommendations for getting started: use the preconstructed decks without tweaking, and play with three people (possibly four). Shadowfist is tolerable as a two-player game, but it only really shines in multiplayer. Also I recommend reading the online rulebook, as it's a little more detailed.

When you do get to building your own decks, pay attention to the preconstructed decks and specifically their ratio of foundation characters. These are the ones that don't require a resource to get into play, only Power. Getting at least one of these cards early is essential. While you do get a free mulligan on turn 1 and a costly one every turn thereafter, you don't want to waste time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Yo Jedit, my Shadowfist cards came in today. These wooden tokens are nice but it seems like the ink is rubbing off already, any workarounds for that? Also are there any third parties that do playmats or custom tokens?

I don't know about the wooden tokens - the KS ones were stamped. You don't really need custom ones, though, anything to mark damage and track power will do.

You can get a playmat with the CiK box art from Shadowfist.com.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

These are wooden and stamped but it seems like they dusted them with charcoal or something that is now rubbing off the tokens. Are there any third party resouces for playmats with the zones located on the cards ala the posters that came in CiK? Obviously this wouldn't be an issue for experienced players but this seems like a game that won't come out very often and there will almost always be a new person at the table.

Oh, that kind of playmat. No, I don't think there is. However, apart from having two Sites per location and there being two graveyards per player the layout is very similar to Netrunner Corp.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Hows the Doomtown Reloaded LP coming out did I just completely missed you putting it up? The link someone posted to the article about the winner's deck at Gen Con has seriously piqued my interest in this game.

I haven't done it yet. I'm being lazy, I guess, but I need to do it all in one day as I don't have anywhere to keep a trestle set up for longer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dual sphere decks don't work well in the base set, especially if you're attempting the last scenario. They really need the neutral cards from the adventure packs that cost 1 and give a Hero an extra sphere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pander posted:

So I think my Steward's Fear AP was missing two cards, two outlands ally cards (the +spirit and +attack ones). I only have 2/3 of each of those two.

Is that, uh, commonplace?

If you only have two of any Fellowship card then you're missing some, because there are three of each in every AP. Shadow it's harder to tell because they vary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

So I don't know if they're kosher to discuss here, but this seems like the place:

LCGs are their own animal. Legendary is more like Dominion and is best discussed in the main Trad Board Games thread, where it has been discussed before. Not that anyone is likely to bite your dick off for mentioning it here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lawen posted:

LotR is probably the LCG that least requires buying a 2nd Core (there's definitely some 2nd Core stuff you'll want if you get really into -- more Gandalfs at least but probably some other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head...Forest Snares maybe?).

You can cope with only four Gandalfs if you're playing solo, and even two-player co-op isn't much of a problem. On the other hand, Sneak Attack, Steward of Gondor, Dwarven Tomb, Unexpected Courage and The Galadhrim's Greeting are all staples that you don't get three copies of in the Core Set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I wonder what they'll add from the movies. They seem to be doing well enough with the Saga Expansions. I know The Hobbit movies touched on things from the Silmarillion, but did the LotR films add any content from that book?

No, Lord of the Rings had enough content to fill three movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Randalor posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but has anyone played the reboot of the Shadowfist game? I'm not sure if it's a CCG or LCG at this point, but I know they had a few kickstarters for it a couple of years ago and wondered how it turned out.

I have, and if you have Archives you can find the LP thread I did for it. It's a straight LCG, with the minor twist that the Core Set (Combat In Kowloon) is four preconstructed decks and there's a Core Set extension (Back For Seconds) that adds two more to bring the game up to six factions. Three "Shadowpacks" are released each year through Kickstarter with cards for each faction, although I think Inner Kingdom plan to do something bigger this year for the game's 20th anniversary. A lot of the cards are reprints from the original sets and the LCG is fully backwards compatible with the old CCG cards.

If you want to know how the projects turned out: the game has a very small but loyal following, just enough to keep it afloat on Kickstarter. It's a truly excellent multiplayer game, though, and it deserves more exposure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr. Met posted:

I have one core and the Mirkwood cycle expansions. I read that Forest Snare and Gandalf/Sneak Attack are two solid options for handling the troll, so I built a Leadership/Lore deck to try to give me both options, using Aragorn/Theodred for their synergy and then Denethor as a defender. But I would typically get overwhelmed with enemies, or else lose via threat before I could do enough damage to the troll. That deck does have a high starting threat and no threat management, which hurts.

Switch to Leadership/Spirit if you have the Spirit Glorfindel - which I think you do, I'm sure he was Mirkwood cycle. You'll rip through everything in the cycle bar Rhosgobel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

Nope, he was in the Dwarrowdelf Cycle. Foundations of Stone I think, but I could be wrong.

It is, you're right.

(So buy FOS, then put Glorf-S in.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just a heads up: the kickstarter for Shadowfist: Year of the Goat is due to start in a couple of weeks. It's the 20th anniversary edition, too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

It already is, $25.99 at CSI and I'll bet everywhere else that competes with their prices is liked priced pretty close.

Then you'll be glad to hear that Asmodee North America are about to cut the knees out from under anyone who deep discounts FFG products online.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Upper Deck's components are worse than WizKids. Those cards are such poo poo printing and paper I'm almost mad I bought Legendary Alien, even at a big discount.

I've not had any problems with Legendary Encounters apart from a single missing card from LE: Predator which was replaced no trouble.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Foehammer posted:

Yeah, The Hunt for Gollum and A Journey to Rhosgobel can also bone you with a bad encounter deck shuffle.

A Journey to Rhosgobel is fairly trivialised if you build a dedicated Lore deck, but you can also cheese it with Northern Tracker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zerf posted:

For me, the biggest gotcha in the rules is that your skill value or the test value can never go below zero. Makes cards that says "in case you fail by two or less" much better.

A rule that is hidden in three different pieces across the two rulebooks.

I think it's still not as big a gotcha as knowing that items can be used multiple times unless they specifically say they exhaust. Every other FFG Cthulhu game has items usable once a turn, as do most of the LCGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Huh, so this is POD? Has FFG done stuff like that before?

All of the LOTR convention adventures. The Massing at Osgiliath was the first time they did it.