Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A friend and I played the Game of Thrones LCG last night. We're both Magic veterans, and we both were hooked almost instantly. The two things I liked the best were the plot cards making each of your turns play slightly differently, the different kinds of attacks (in Magic terms, it's like you have creatures with flying, creatures with horsemanship, and creatures with shadow, but it was really neat) and the different effects each attack had. Maybe it was because my friend kept a bad hand and I kept winning initiative rolls on ties, but I thought the challenge phase was really unbalanced the way it played out with one player getting to do all their challenges before the next player got to do all of theirs. I think a one-by-one system where the starting player got to initiate one challenge and then the second player got to do one and then back to the first player until all players have either done all three challenge types or passed would be more balanced, but I've only played one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Okay, now I get it. My friend and I played a game where he started off with a 7-strength guy with all three challenge types and renown, and I should have let him go first so he would be tempted to use it rather than leaving it up as a wall. I still won when I poisoned it and then had a bunch of stealth characters and combat tricks. Is having three core sets necessary for this game? We're thinking about running tournaments for it because a lot of people were watching us play and they're all interested.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Merauder posted:

First, how did you poison a guy with all 3 icons? I assume you mean you used Tears of Lys, but maybe I'm missing something...

As for Core sets, if you want to be competitive, yeah, you'll want 3 cores. That's pretty much the norm for FFG's LCGs now. The game is totally playable as a stripped down version with 1 Core, but you can't really explore competitive tournament style deck building without having 3 copies of the major cards you want to draw every game (let alone make legal tournament decks which adhere to normal Agenda rules to begin with).

Yeah it was Tears of Lys and we didn't fully read the card because it was late due to a long drawn-out game, as intro deck only games tend to be with LCGs. There are so few ways we've found so far to get rid of a specific character that's causing you problems, but I'm sure that's made easier with expansions and real decks.

Edit: The LCG core set thing is real lovely. The only chance of it changing is if some company makes a super popular game where a full playset of cards comes in one core set, and then every other LCG-maker will have to follow suit. It's such an obvious cash grab I'm not surprised that LCGs aren't more popular.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 18, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I'm sincerely sorry I dredged up an old argument about core sets. :(

Thirsty Dog posted:

I've made my peace with the core sets now. My real problem is that monthly packs are way too frequent for someone who plays multiple games.

I think I'm biased because I consider LCGs to be games you play with a small group of dedicated friends; we don't have an LCG scene here in eastern Long Island, though I hear Netrunner is huge other places. If you're playing only one game and have a small group of friends who play also, I can see the game getting stale without monthly or even bi-monthly releases to shake up the metagame. If you fall behind releases or start late into a game's life it is daunting to catch up though.

I'm playing more GoT in a half hour or so and I can't wait. I'm turning down Magic to play more of this!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pinwiz11 posted:

For me, as a mostly-former Magic player who only drafts with friends now, the release schedule doesn't bother me. I'd be paying the same for a draft as I would for a Chapter Pack, and it lets you gradually upgrade your decks instead of having to do a fresh reboot every few months.

Join us... JOIN US...

I guess you're right, I didn't think of it that way. I judge Magic and get store credit, and I pay $13 of that store credit on average two times a week to draft. Another $11 a month on a Chapter Pack isn't a big deal.

My friend and I have exhausted the fun we can have with the preconstructed one-Core decks. We know how to play now, so we don't have to suffer through the games with these decks that go on for an hour plus because there's no real synergy to speak of*. One of the stores near us agreed to run a demo day and tournament, which I suggested should be 3x Core Set only so no one has to sink more than ~$100 into the game to start. Our next goal is deckbuilding with 3x Core - wish me luck! I think I'm going Lannister or Tyrell because I like their combat tricks.

*Except The Iron Throne and Chamber of the Painted Table; that's a nasty combo for a starter deck. Also The Things I Do for Love + Cersei was nasty when I used it to get rid of a problem character.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
How possible is it to build two or even three good decks out of 3x core set plus one of each expansion in Game of Thrones? I don't mind having to buy another of one of the expansions if I need another playset of a card, but there's one-ofs in the core set like The Hand's Judgment that seem like 3x staples in every deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Are there good guides for deckbuilding in Game of Thrones, and/or does anyone have any tips? My friend got all the expansions and netdecked, which of course crushed my untuned Lannister 3x Core deck, but I'd like to build decks without netdecking first so I can see why certain cards are good.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Wheres the best place to order AH LCG from?

I know there were changes when the Asmodee thing happened, but will it go up on Amazon at all or only individual sellers? I've got Amazon Prime running out pretty soon and it'd be great if I could actually use it. I live outside the US and ordering online is pretty much the only reasonable way to get things.

I'd like to know also. Is CoolStuffInc.com the fastest reliable way to get it? Preordering there is $33.99.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks. Pimping out components and organization is probably half of the fun of board gaming for me.

I ran to a craft store and got some circular bead organizers for my Game of Thrones tokens and it just felt so much better than dumping a bag full of tokens on the table, so I agree. Thankfully my thriftiness stopped me from spending $6 on some cheap plastic "gold" coins, and the "real"-looking Game of Thrones coins are way too expensive.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
After almost two weeks of waiting (my LGS's distributor dropped the ball), I finally have all the Game of Thrones expansions! So many deckbuilding options! In the meantime I threw together some decks from ThronesDb that seemed fun. I'm shying away from Lannister because I dislike playing the most popular faction.

Where's the best place to go for GoT strategy talk?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Worlds 2016 for AGoT2 is interesting. Here's the top 16:

I'm not up on the tournament scene yet. Is this streamed anywhere?

Edit: https://www.twitch.tv/ffglive

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Looks like Lanni/Stark beat Targ Fealty to win worlds. I haven't had a chance to look at the stream to see the decks yet.

My first thought was, "I'm glad I built a Targaryen Fealty deck yesterday before the cards shot up in price!"

LCGs are a neat concept.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So after playing a bunch, Targaryens are definitely my faction. I like killing my opponent's characters in a war of attrition until they can't possibly come back. Dracarys is a great event, and last night gave me great respect for the Blood of the Dragon plot. Am I right that applies for the entire turn, so even if someone marshals a character during the marshaling phase, the character dies?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with Targ now with this list. Being able to recur your characters while wiping their board is really strong, and you have fun combos like Waking the Dragon to wipe counters on Ser Jorah or for attachment removal with Viserys.

http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/6408/targaryen-summer-dutch-national-champion-2016-1.0

Some of the worlds decks are popping up now as well. This is really close to my Lannister/KoW deck, only some differences in events.

http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/6789/lannister-kow-worlds-top-16-1.0

I based my Targ deck off of that one with some minor changes that I can't remember because I'm on line to vote (Targaryen 2016!) but I know I'm playing Tourney Grounds. It's great for bluffing Dracarys with zero gold, and I kept missing with Shadowblack Lane. I've activated the Lane four times and haven't hit once.

Another rules question - if a character with a dupe dies and can't be saved, what happens to the duplicate? Does it go in the discard or dead pile?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

frgildan posted:

So it seems like Arkham Horror lcg is sold out everywhere. Even my local game shop can only get it hands on 2 or 3 copies. Either it's a super success or they just went with a low print run.

Yeah I waited too long to pull the trigger on pre-ordering. :( Luckily I know of a small board game shop around here that's supposedly saving me a copy on release day... not that anyone's sure when that is yet. They said the 10th, but they're not sure.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was able to find three stores in my area that are getting Arkham Horror in tomorrow. If I manage to snag an extra copy, I might put it up on SA Mart (or is this thread okay for board game deals?) so some lucky goon can have it before Christmas.

I want to know where the hell you people who got the game last night or today are living, do you actually live inside Fantasy Flight's US distribution center? I can't get them until tomorrow, and that's from The War Store's main store. Don't mind me, I'm just salty my cable's being worked on and I can't play a solitaire card game while I can't do work.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pinwiz11 posted:

I was able to pre-order a copy, so at least something good happened yesterday... :smith:

Meanwhile, it's Battle of the Trident weekend! All y'all are voting Blue Fork, right?

The place in NYC is doing a draft, which doesn't interest me yet. They are doing a constructed tournament at the end of the month, and I'll most likely be bringing my Targ Summer deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
We're doing a Game of Thrones demo event at a store next Saturday. We've shown people how to play at another store and it's gotten people interested. It's not like a formal event, just we'll be there and be showing off the game. Any tips on teaching people? We've got the store manger's core sets x3 to mess with, any recommendations for demo decks? The "take all the faction cards from two factions and mash them together with some neutrals" worked well to teach us, but is there another way anyone would recommend?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Selecta84 posted:

Nope, no sleeves needed. And yeah, just put the copies in the same pocket. No problem there. I store up to 6 cards (2 core sets) in the same pocket and it works just fine.

I wouldn't put six cards in the same pocket. Say you take three out to put in a deck - that pocket has been stretched out, so the remaining cards might fall out.

I'm so tempted to sleeve every card in Arkham Horror with matte clear Dragon Shields. So excited to try this Monday night.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

I'm doing matte dragon shields for player cards, and clear for the others. Locations are two sided, also I kinda like having a differentiated sleeve for the different card types.

Yeah that's a good idea as well. The player cards will be easier to separate when you're setting up/cleaning up the game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
With Arkham Horror, is there anything I want from a second core set besides the investigator deck cards? There's no campaign that's going to say, "you can only put together this encounter deck if you have two core sets!" right? The tokens and encounter cards in a second core set might as well be shoved in a closet and forgotten about?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

It might just be because I've played some LOTR and the Warhammer card game but this was by far the smoothest learning experience I've had with FFG.

Although I haven't yet read the rules reference to discover where the learn to play book lies to you like it does in so many other FFG releases...

What other FFG games lie to you in the tutorial, and how?

If I remember correctly, the tutorial for Game of Thrones has you randomly determine who sets up their face down cards first, but in tournament games both players just flop down their cards simultaneously. Not so much of a lie as a shortcut though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Me reading the cards: How bad can the 1/1/3 rats be?

Spoilers! Pretty brutal if you try to ignore them. The last boss of the first scenario is a tank and will knock out Roland in two turns. The rats and the double-action curse on Wendy meant that when the boss turned his attention to her, it was all over. The game punishes you for taking your time, but you probably shouldn't waste the first turn just getting out of the Study. The game lures you into a false sense of power because most of the early enemies go down in one or two attacks, but you need those cards in hand and resources available for the final showdown.

Game is great.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Curse of the Rougarou is available! It's a side quest type expansion for Arkham Horror LCG.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
We had a lot of fun at our learn-to-play shindig on Long Island today. Eight players, including the current world champion and his buddy who live less than an hour from the LGS, two brand new guys, two players who had cards and wanted to play for a while but had no one to game with, and my friend and myself. The world champ and his friend helped me with my Targ Summer deck that I might be bringing to Red Saturday in NYC this weekend. They're making the Valar Morghulis plot and the rest of that expansion legal for the tournament, which the pros explained my deck is very resilient against due to all the dupes, high economy, and Fire and Blood. We've got a good scene brewing!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

Can you take a second copy of an investigator's signature card?

Yeah, it just counts towards your deck size instead of the freebie you get as a mandatory inclusion.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I spent almost five minutes in a panic because I thought I lost two of the basic weakness cards, because I kept counting eight. No, there's two of them that double up so they have an extra chance of being picked.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I built Agnes and Skids. They look like they could take down monsters together, especially with Shrivelling. My friend built Roland and probably is going to build Wendy, so we'll have four characters in case others want to join us. It's hard to build three decks from two cores. I put together Daisy, but since it's all Seeker cards and no Shrivelling, she's only good at investigating with the ability to use a Knife if she really needs to kill a rat or something.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
How should I treat the double-bonus skill cards when deckbuilding? Do I put the ones that draw a card when successful in to shore up skills my character is lacking? Or do I include the ones I'm good at already for a more guaranteed card draw?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Beating the first scenario felt like a huge accomplishment, really fun! I even got a nice new asset for my deck. Now I have six experience for Agnes and I'm not sure what to spend it on. My friend's playing Roland, if that helps.

Blinding Light upgrade: This by itself kills any 2 HP enemy, and can kill a 3 HPer on any symbol.

Book of Shadows: Four resources is expensive, but the extra counters on Shrivelling is nice. This also lets me hold Scrying at the same time.

Grotesque Statue: Seems good, but we're playing on normal difficulty. We got unlucky with the auto fail a lot, but it's just variance. It's also four bloody XP.

Mind Wipe: Is this even good? We went through like the entire encounter deck and didn't see any enemy that would have been easier with its text blanked. Especially since it doesn't work on elites.

As for Survivor cards, Lucky was good enough without the upgrade, and Aquinnah is five resources and only situationally useful. Right now I'm thinking Book and one upgraded Blinding Light. That leaves me 1 XP, but there's nothing to spend it on, and we want to beat the campaign before doing the whole werewolf ordeal.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I know this doesn't represent the full top 8 of each tournament because it's just people submitting their own decklists, but it's still a bit alarming: http://thronesdb.com/decklists/tournament

Lots of Lions.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the designers couldn't shake the thought that the Lannisters were the most powerful house in the time period the card game currently covers (the first two-ish books) and that seeped into their design. It doesn't really bother me since we mostly play casually.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This game is amazing. My friend and I tried the first scenario and got wiped, then built actual decks and got 6 XP and Lita added to my deck. The second scenario went poorly: only two cultists. The third scenario was a clusterfuck and we got massively unlucky with chaos pulls. I was playing Agnes and got stuck in one of the locations which has a knowledge skill check to get out of. Even when I boosted my knowledge considerably, I'd pull a -4 or auto-fail. To make things worse, the shroud was also three, so I spent almost the whole game in there before chucking Lita at the big bad. The game doesn't do a good job at telling you how important investigating is in the first scenario; there's a low-shroud location you can clear easily, and then a tanky boss, so you spend much more time fighting than investigating. That's why we were dismissing the investigation/knowledge cards. If you're not vacuuming up clues in scenario two, you're going to have a bad time. The campaign ended so badly that we're going to build real decks this time and give the game what for.

I'm not sure if I should spoilerize deckbuilding tips, but as Agnes with a Roland partner, I totally neglected knowledge, to my downfall. This was a terrible decision because although Roland is okay at investigating, he was usually hopping all over the place mopping up threats. I also didn't play Arcane Knowledge because I dismissed the free action skill boosters, but I spent most of the last two scenarios sitting on way more crate bux than I needed, so those are definitely going in. I had also included two copies of Knife and Baseball Bat, but Agnes has Shrivelling, that evade spell, and enough ways to make sure she gets them, so she never needs pure might. Had I focused more on knowledge, we could have easily done way better at the second and third scenarios.

Has anyone tried putting enough double-skill draw cards in that they'll refresh their deck? I never got close to it, but I had minimal of those and I think Agnes is perfectly suited to taking the one horror for refreshing and getting a third and fourth chance at her cards.

PJOmega posted:

Edit: If I have 2 core sets, do I shuffle the weaknesses from both sets together? Or am I only supposed to use the weaknesses from a single core set?

You just use the one core set's worth of cards, plus any basic weaknesses from expansions you own that aren't out yet. I don't know the answer to your other questions.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

I burned through my Skids deck fairly quickly. I run pretty much all the double skill draw cards (but I've also been trying him solo).

One thing to remember is that you take mental damage when you have to reshuffle, so turbo cycling isn't exactly free.

That's why I said "Agnes is perfectly suited to taking the one horror for refreshing". It can actually work in her favor to take horror sometimes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
On the accessories topic, I heard that 26mm coin cases work great for the chaos tokens in Arkham Horror. Anyone have any cool customizations for the game? Litko has a bunch of cool tokens. This is my first Fantasy Flight Lovecraftian game, so I didn't realize that many of the tokens in Arkham Horror LCG were universal to other games made by them, meaning there's a lot of stuff out there already. This token set is pretty cool, but it's the price of a core set and is probably tight on tokens for a two player game. I do like these health and sanity dials.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

I swung by a really run down coin collector shop outside of Bellevue and they wanted $1.50 each for those coin lozenges. Good to know I wasn't wrong to think they were nuts.

There's a hobby store near me that wanted $1 for each of them, and they were square. I probably could have talked him down in price because I'm fairly sure he's had them forever, but at some point I'll find them for $6.50 for 100 and my friend can have some also.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My copy of Carnivale came in the mail for Arkham Horror! It requires three experience per player to play, god drat. That's like half a scenario. I still don't know where to place it in the campaign or if my friend and I should just do it as a standalone story.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zerf posted:

Yep, but she'll show up in a later expansion (probably second deluxe box?).

Her 4 will, 4 int, 1 combat, 3 agi seems like perfect stat distribution for a mystic.

What book is this? Is it still available?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOHQe_b01v8

That last investigator with Duke is crazy good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DonnyTrump posted:

So I picked up a binder and some BCW pages to sort sleeved Arkham player cards. Is there a recommended sorting method anyone has? I noticed i can fit two cards in a slot but only on one side of a page. If I do it on the other they start to bow.

Get one of those fancy binders with the side-loading black pages and sort them by player class. They work great, I use them for Game of Thrones and that's three cards on each side and they fit fine. Leave enough space between classes that you won't need to shift cards around for a good long while. There are only four new player cards in each class in the first big box set coming out, so probably only one or two in each of the upcoming smaller expansion packs since they also need room for campaign stuff, so you should be good with leaving about a page or maybe two between classes.

The encounter deck cards I'd just sleeve up and store in deckboxes for each scenario if possible - with two core sets you can make the first three scenarios without having to move cards between encounter decks. I'm guessing the upcoming big box + small pack campaign will end up using a mixture of cards for each scenario so I don't know what that will entail, but at least the standalone scenarios never mix cards from other sets. Either way I wouldn't store them in binders because taking them in and out whenever you want to play a campaign would be a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

So exhausting in combat is just a formality then? Seems kind of weird unless there's something that takes advantage of it.

I think it's like turning your small investigator card over when you've completed your actions, maybe? Just to show that all the game actions involving that card have been completed, because there's a lot going on.