Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

We have. It's just playing with so many people can make the encounter deck run through pretty quick which I'm not sure is unbalancing the quests.

My understanding is that it gets easier with multiple people, not harder. 2 players is the 'balanced' level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Carteret posted:

I wouldn't go as far as saying AGoT is a step back in complexity. AGoT has action windows and crazy temporary card states (moribound) that, if played "correctly" make poo poo pretty hard to follow. LoTR is awesome since you aren't playing competitively, you can both work together on understanding the game state, while lamenting the fact that any card interaction or ability almost assuredly fucks you over.

This. Netrunner is a much easier game than agot, mechanically speaking.

Star Wars is probably the best game for 'taking a step back in complexity'.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Zombie #246 posted:

Playing the game with the base set with 4 took ages, if you like it enough I recommend getting the first 6 booster packs, it will go a long way to making the decks faster (because they will be more efficient). It dropped the 4 player game from 2 hours to 1 for us.

This is the issue.

If you just have one [or even 2 core sets] you have decks that aren't really that strong. Making it take a long time to complete a game.

With 2 people playing normal decks [not the stall decks like bloodthrist, and not rush decks like noble cause] a game of joust usually takes about 35-45 minutes.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ImpactVector posted:

I was having the same issue with the "4 Decks built from 2x Core" decks on CGDB. Any deck tips for someone who has two cores and one of each of the house deluxe expansion sets? Are the prebuilt theme decks included with the deluxe expansions any better? Or am I still missing a bunch of important stuff from the first season?

The 4 decks built from 2 core sets are basically melee decks.

The prebuilt theme decks with the deluxe expansions would be really good, much better than the 4x decks IMO. In addition, I think those prebuilt decks assume you only have 1 core, so you might be able to improve the deck even a bit more.

Having said that, this is a game with a MASSIVE card pool. It hasn't been around as long as MtG, but the game basically has more cards legal for play that Standard does at any given time.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ImpactVector posted:

What kinds of things do you have to take into consideration for building melee decks vs joust? I'd like to have the flexibility of playing either way, but if I had to choose one and better decks can bring the playtime down I'd probably lean more towards melee.

No one else in my group is interested in building decks, so I'd prefer to have the set up more as a relatively balanced board game than anything.

Well, from what I remember those decks use plots that are kinda pointless in joust. Like 'pick an opponent, you and that opponent go fetch a character or a location' etc.

You would almost never play those plots in joust. The melee game is very much a casual game, one from what I can tell is dominated by rush decks that focus on renown and claiming extra power in various ways. The game is really 'balanced' for 1v1 play IMO.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Shadin posted:

It could very well happen, since that expansion wasn't considered a deluxe box as much as it was considered the "Core Set" for those two factions, so it had to have a very broad range of card options.

Also, in response to this as a problem, alternatively you would have had a full playset in one box [like what is upcoming in the Jedi deluxe box] and you get half the new cards. Considering the card pool for SWLCG is artificially constrained due to the pod mechanic, I'm really glad they opted for increasing the number of pods you can choose from. Would you have complained if they released it as a Scum/Smug Core set that was a full play set of all the cards, and instead of paying $19.99 each, you paid $39.99 total? It's not like you got screwed by having a bunch of extra copies of stuff you didn't need. They just packaged it in a way where someone super casual could pick it up and have fun with chewie/falcon etc, without paying $40, and anyone serious about the game was always happy to have more cards anyways. It's like complaining that they released more cards than you were willing to pay for.

Secondly, the state of the LCG union announcement is coming up where we will learn about rotation for AGOT.

I am very interested in this, as it will either get me to play more, or make me quite the game completely.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Very happy. Some of the mechanics of AGOT really holding it back. Designing the card pool right this time, and getting rid of the clunky mechanics is going to make this their best game [IMO, I know some people love Netrunner, which also is solid, it's just not my favorite].

I have a bunch of cards that are never going to get played now though :D

Oh well. I'm fine with it.

Honestly, I didn't think they were going to do this, but I was wishing they would. I assumed they wouldn't' be willing to completely delete the current card pool, but they are better off for it.

Like Nate's post said 'the things I do for love.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

A few hundred dollars of my cards just lost all value, but it serves the greater good.

maybe we can come up with some fun 'cube' style gameplay with the gen 1 card pool. Although I'm happy to forget as many of the awkward rule interactions as possible.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
1st edition will have a last hurrah at next years gen con and worlds. after that we move to 2nd edition and it starts from scratch with rules that make sense and some tweaks to the game.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
This seems like the right thread for this?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/4/the-only-game-that-matters/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2NewlJEyWQ

I'm pretty hyped. 3xCore set here I come.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Thirsty Dog posted:

gently caress, it would be nice if the relaunch and clean up meant we didn't need to buy three cores for once.

There are a few options. One is that they make the core box a huge product with triplicates of all the cards so that the card pool at launch isn't absurdly small, another would be to make the core set the normal size, but include triplicates of all the cards and have the card pool be incredibly small at launch. Third option would be to do it the way it is, so that if you want to play competitively, you buy 3, but if you just want to try the new game out, you can buy one, and there is probably a middle ground where you buy 2, because for most decks 2 of any one card will be enough.

Unless they fundamentally change the game to allow only 2 of any card [like how you can only run 2 of the same objective in SWLCG], then this is the best option.

It would be interesting though if they made a 'competitors pack' or something like that, where it was all the cards from 2x core set, but none of the tokens/game instructions. That way they could make it available for people, but not make them buy 3x cores.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Second AGOT pack announced, although drat they really like to hide those Greyjoy cards. Wardens of the West seems loving brutal though, goddamn.

I'm sure The Reader will be a reprint essentially. He's a great card, but not broken like Meera was, and he will be huge for Greyjoy.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

MisterShine posted:

Probably a much smaller playtester pool than Netrunner as well

AGoT 2nd edition has the largest playtest group ever done by FFG per Nate French, so it can't be the playtest group being small.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Rusty Kettle posted:

Pro: Those kinds of agendas lead to thematic decks and reward deck building within a faction. It 'punishes' banner decks as they won't have an additional ability.

Con: There will be at least one card (likely more) that are literally unplayable without buying another core. I was planning on getting three eventually anyway, but I can see how people could be upset about it.

Buying multiple cores is something that's a given for competitive players. If you are a wanting to play in competitive way, or if you want to play consistently performing decks then you will want to buy 3x core sets. If you're casual and just want a 'board game experience' with some friends or casual gamers, then you should be happy with this situation as well.

As a competitive player you'll be happy that they have maximized the number of unique cards so that the card pool at the start of the game is as large as possible. The alternatively could have made a HUGE box with 3x all the cards and 6x or 9x certain neutral cards, but of course the cost would be 3x the core set. But that would hurt the casual player, or someone who might be curious and 'just wants to try it' before getting in all the way.

As a casual player you'll be happy that they have maximized the number of factions in the core set to give you the largest possible taste/flavor of gameplay from just one box.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Mostly it was because most unique characters weren't really worth playing, especially with how easy it was to kill them. Given that it's not in the Core, I don't think we're seeing Valar Morghulis again, though we'll still have to deal with Wildfire Assault.

I'd be shocked if one of the box sets upcoming don't include Valar. It would be crazy overpowered in this early game situation, but as the game gets more and more robust with more characters and ways to recur, cheat death etc, valar will be an important mechanic. It isn't degenerate, or at least it wasn't. It's a way of increasing the value of the intrigue challenge. With the reserve value artificially keeping hand sizes smaller though, I'm not sure what that does to the balance of the various challenges.

With no valar and the reserve limit on plots, it seems like Mil challenges are much stronger than they used to be.

tijag fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 30, 2015

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Stickman posted:

Buying 3x core isn't the worst thing, but I'm skeptical of this argument. Maybe GoT2 will be different, but for LotR, a complete playset is just 64 more cards (or 72 if you want 12x Gandalfs). The core set is 226 cards, so that's about a 25% increase in the number of cards. If you assume mrsp increases by the same amount, that's just $50 for a complete core (ten more bucks). But they certainly wouldn't need to increase the box size or put in many extra counters or rules, so it would probably only increase the cost of the core by a few dollars. Compare that to buying 3x core and then having hundreds of unwanted cards that just sit around...

Like I said, might be different for GoT, but it's certainly not best for the customer, especially when it would be super easy to produce a core completion booster.

E: I'll still buy them, but I don't feel guilty about being slightly bitter!

The core completion booster thing would be neat, but I think you might be surprised.

All the house faction cards are singletons. So right there you've got 8 factions x 20 cards where 1 core only gets you 1 card. Most of the plots are all singletons, with just 2 or 3 exceptions, most of the neutrals are singletons, except for economy cards [which you typically need a lot more of anyways unless you only ever build one deck at a time]]

This isn't going to be like Netrunner, where the 3rd core hardly gets you anything. 3 cores here is going to be really great.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Stickman posted:

That does sound like much better value - looking forward to it!

I think its 19 unique faction cards btw. The in faction limited 'reducer' is 2x in the core set.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Karnegal posted:

Played Greyjoy/Tyrell at GenCon and had a good time except for the last round (which I think would have put me in top 16 on breakers).

The guy I was playing flubbed his deploy - accidentally dropping the wrong pile of cards which left a single high cost dude in play. This probably would have been game if I didn't let him take it back since I would have marched him to the wall and negated his entire deployment and then Theon would have probably stopped him from ever stabilizing. So, I let him take it back. Then, later in the game, I make what is very obviously a misplay (the sort of I play this - oh wait poo poo I didn't mean that!) and he didn't let me take it back. It was a total scumbag move and cost me the game. I don't care that much about the playmat itself -I likely wouldn't have even used it. But it was a lovely note to end the day on and the guy was the biggest piece of poo poo (he was a weirdo during the match too) that I've ever encountered playing a FFG LCG.

With those gripes aside, the game looks promising. It's hard to tell how it will shake out once you actually have enough cards to construct a deck and you can start dropping dupes for protection. It's a shame I'm going to have to wait a couple months to actually play. The cores sold out while I was playing Conquest nationals so I only have a single core, which is sort of insufficient for 2 players.

Never let anyone take something back in a tournament. I've often wished I could take something back, but I don't even ask. It's not fair to have take backs. You shouldn't have let him take back up front. Unfortunately that was your biggest mistake.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Fetterkey posted:

Yeah, a lot worse IMO. Conquest seems snowbally but isn't particularly at a high level of play. It's possible Thrones will be the same and that more sophisticated strategies/decks/future cards will prevent this, but if anything the plots seem to promote snowballing as it stands.

Are you only speaking from the perspective of the Kingslayer decks? Those could be incredibly snowbally due to the terrible nature of those decks.

I saw several games where someone had a good setup, then played Queen of Thorns Turn 1, got her ability to go off, and then put a 5 cost dude into play and then on turn 2 played Euron. With the way those decks are, if your opponent gets both their 7 costers on the board in that short amount of time its very hard to come back. Even wildfire doesn't help that much because they get to keep their OP cards.

Once we start playing with 3x core set decks I think the game will be less swingy, although to start with I think aggro will be pretty strong.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

alg posted:

Star Wars is in the "state" it's in now because FFG has bungled the release schedule for 2 years. The broken cards would still be broken even if they didn't have other cards you had to play with them. Then you just end up in a Jackson Howard situation.

Pods work really well for Star Wars. Most people who complain about them never even tried the game.

I think the broken cards in Star Wars exist because they think they can balance broken cards against other weaker cards in the same pod.

Also I hate the pod system and have around 2/3ds of the StarWars card pool. Played it quite a bit. I like the way combat works, I like edge battles, and the force struggle, but I don't like the double randomness of the the game [the command and objective deck both being random]. I honestly wish they designed the objectives like the Plot deck in AGOT and the Command deck was buildable just like the AGOT deck is [no pods] and then kept the unique combat, tokens, edge battles and force struggle mechanics.

Also correcting problems in the metagame is so much easier when you can restrict one card, and not have to do things like restrict an entire pod.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

I hated the pod system at first, but I really like the way that you need to build decks with it because the restrictions make the decks that people play end up being much more interesting. If you could choose your cards the Sith deck would literally never have changed beyond the core set, except to add in Force Storm. There honestly haven't been that many restrictions/errata; certainly not to the extent that L5R has but if you compare it to Netrunner than sure, I guess it's a lot. Restricting an entire pod can be brutal but honestly it's better in most cases than single cards because it shakes up the metagame that much more.

I think the majority of the "broken" cards in Star Wars aren't broken in the sense that Magic cards can be broken. I think the point is more to keep the game constantly moving and mixing up what people are playing and not let the game reach a state where everyone is playing the same thing in order to be competitive. One of the guys in the group complains that his players won't stop make anything new and are playing the same Sith/Jedi decks that have been popular since Between the Shadows came around and I think this is the kind of thing that they want to prevent.

Obviously no matter what players are going to default to whatever they feel has the competitive advantage but I think shaking the tree with errata is something that's good to do. In this day and age everyone has access to the internet and can get that information much quicker, groups will talk about it and the investment in the physical property has equal value so nobody has to worry that "their" cards are going to be worthless because of the errata.

Having played competitive Star Wars and Netrunner for the first two years of their lifespans, Star Wars has had a much healthier meta game that due to product delays was sometimes shifted even without new cards introduced. I think back on how many tournaments I had where players would tell me that they were trying something new but knew that faction X was too strong. Never ran into that problem in Star Wars; people would constantly be trying new things and swapping pods out to see which ones worked better or counter opponents choices.

We are looking at the same cardpool and meta and coming to opposite conclusions.

I'm not sure what to think of that.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's interesting that they ended the game at ~1500 cards. That's the high water mark for a M:tG Standard Constructed cycle (1.5 years) and what they projected the card pool would peak at for the FFG LCG 4 year rotation plan.

If CoC were at all popular I would have probably checked it out because the big card pool is actually pretty appealing. Right now, everything outside of Netrunner just doesn't feel like it has enough cards for me. I'm mildly hyped for AGoT2E but I'm already sick of the Core Set meta and I don't even have the cards yet, lol. Netrunner has hit 800 something cards and is starting to actually feel "right" in the sense of there being a big pool of interesting things to brew up. I kind of don't want to play an LCG until it has at least a year's worth of stuff, but by then the hype may have all flown away to the next thing

It would be cool if these games could launch with something a little more aggressive in their first year. Maybe keep the Core Set the same size, but print twice as many cards in the first year as they normally do

I do expect that in the first year of release we'll get 2 cycles and 2 deluxe boxes. That will put an additional 177 new cards into the card pool, and I think thats where would start to feel more comfortable with the options.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

LordNat posted:

I think if any current LCG is going to get the ax it's Star Wars. FFG has never manged to keep a good release pattern with that game. Really what I think FFG needs to focus on right now in place of a new game is their organized play and ensuring L5R goes well.

I have been thinking about how I'd have them do Worlds. My idea is have it where the World Championship Tournaments are invite only where the top 4 of National Tournaments and the Winners of Regional get invited to the World Championship. Then at the Worlds Event have a "open" Wildcard tournament for the last X slots for the Championship. That way the top level players are already locked in and don't get burned out so the finals are a better watch and the middle rank players have a better shot at getting a chance in the Swiss rounds for a slot.
In the case of Netrunner I'd have the Wildcard event be Swiss only and the Championship be double elimination brackets only, also allow the Wildcard players change their deck after the Swiss. That allows more more interesting decks since they don't have to survive the Swiss rounds first.

In the case of L5R I am kind of hoping that FFG spends 2016 doing open development of the game with the community taking part in it. Release their design documents and Print & Play tests for people to report back on. Kind of like what
Wizards of the Coast did with 5th edition DnD with constant playtest releases and surveys/play report requests to help build a new game.

Unless they lose the license, they aren't going to stop making SW games with all the star wars movies coming out over the next 5 years.

Serotonin posted:

I'm deliberating over buying a 3rd AGOT2 core set or just holding on and waiting for the expansions. I'm not playing competitively so I think holding out is for the best.

Get the 3rd core IMO. The extra economy cards [kingsroad and roseroad] allow you to build 4 decks with 3x each of those cards, and you want 3x Mel and 3x Bob, or 3x Tyrion and 3x Jaime and 3x Drogo, or 3x Asha and 3x Balon etc...

The 3rd core has hardly any 'unnecessary redundancy', completely worth it IMO.

This is probably the best core set they've made since I've been playing LCGs, with the possible exception of SW LCG, which allowed full playsets buying only 2 cores.

tijag fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 13, 2015

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

Greyjoy definitely seems like a hit or miss faction, however they seem ridiculously hard to dislodge if you get run over by them early.

Targ Fealty doesn't seem to be that good if you don't draw Dany, she seems really necessary for them to establish significant board control, but I've only got a couple games under my belt with them. There's an OCTGN deck on the DB of Lanni/Targ that looks pretty good, I'm currently running Lanni/Martel and don't really want to switch just yet. Lannister seems really good with it's in-house 'No' of Intrigue and being able to afford Hand's Judgement. I gotta say I love Lannister just for the cheap ways to mess with combat math; probably why combining them with Targ is good.

I also built a deck from there that was Watch/Stark which seems pretty good, looking forward to trying that out next week.

Bara seems fairly consistent but I need to actually run them myself to see how they play without getting Stannis or what happens when Melisandre is out and you don't draw into Rhyolnir cards.

I really think Targ Fealty is able to handle not getting danny early. You should be running Varysx2 at least, and if you arent' drawing danny you're probably still getting dragons and jorah and some other low cost dudes to hang around in the game, wipe them with varys and then play danny late game to close?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Verr posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've changed the list to reflect your choices. Any thoughts on the Location choices?
Total Cards: (73)

Faction:
Lannister

Agenda: (1)
1x Fealty (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Feast for Crows (Core Set)
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)

Character: (31)
3x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
3x Lannisport Merchant (Core Set)
3x Lannisport Moneylender (Core Set)
3x Littlefinger (Core Set)
3x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
1x The Queen’s Assassin (Core Set)
1x The Tickler (Core Set)
3x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
3x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)
2x Varys (Core Set)
3x Gold Cloaks (Core Set)
3x Burned Men (Core Set)

Attachment: (10)
1x Bodyguard (Core Set)
2x Little Bird (Core Set)
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
3x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)
1x Syrio’s Training (Core Set)

Event: (12)
3x Superior Claim (Core Set)
3x The Hand’s Judgment (Core Set)
3x The Things I Do For Love (Core Set)
3x Treachery (Core Set)
3x Tear's of Lys (Core Set)

3x Casterly Rock (Core Set)
3x Lannisport (Core Set)
2x The Iron Throne (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Western Fiefdom (Core Set)

e: Forgot the Tear's of Lys.

Why do you have a 73 card deck win the minimum requirement is 60 cards? You absolutely need to cut the deck down to 60 cards, which should be easy, since the deck is also illegal since you're playing Fealty and have way way more than 15 neutrals.

I am not able to currently completely correct the deck for you right now, but some suggestiones: go down to 2 littlefinger, drop the little birds, drop syrios training, drop superior claim, drop the iron throne, drop hand's judgement and go down to 2 milk of the poppy and 2 tear's of lys. I think that gets you to 15 neutrals. [double check this since I am not sure]

Drop casterly rock, run only 2 Lannisport. Add in 2 Pycelle, 1 joffery and 2 widow's wail.

I think that puts you at 60 cards exactly? I could be wrong though.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm so sorry, I didn't realize this is a melee deck.

Ignore my advice except that your deck is illegal and fealty can only run 15 neutrals, and get down to 60 cards. :) Everything else, I have no idea about. I don't like melee and have never played it.

tijag fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 4, 2015

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Verr posted:

2x Lannisport (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Western Fiefdom (Core Set)
1x Casterly Rock (Core Set)

I don't think you can afford to cut the kingsroads. I think you need 3x roseroad and 3x kings road. I'd drop the Fealty and run 18 neutrals before I dropped the kings road.

Drop Fealty, add the 3 kings roads, drop down to 1 joffery, 1 pycelle and 2 widdows wail, still have 60 cards, but have the kingsroads.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
You are not required to run an agenda. I'm not sure if that is actually the answer to your question.

Frequently you will want to run an agenda, but 'no agenda' was always part of AGoT 1.0, and I expect it will be a part of 2.0.

I certainly can't vouch for this being a well built deck, but it should at least be legal, which is important in a tournament! :D

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

signalnoise posted:

Well I just finished sleeving a shitload of cards only to find that it made a 50-60 card deck entirely too thick and unworkable. So gently caress it I'm unsleeving everything.

Binders or cardboard boxes for LCGs?

What in the world? The deck 60 card deck fully sleeved is no problem at all. What sleeves did you buy?

I put my cards in a box because binders are just too much effort.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

JoshTheStampede posted:

You can counter it, and it costs 0. X always counts as 0 for the purposes of Hands Judgement.

This the right answer.

For his cancel of your event, he had to pay 1, because the printed cost of your event was 1. When you went to cancel his hand's judegment, the printed cost of that event was x, and xhas a generic value of 0 unless otherwise modified by something. In this case it's not being modified by anything, so your hand's judgement cancels his hand's judgement for 0.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Just sleeve them in the hyper mattes. You will need to shuffle them a bunch before all the air is compressed out of the sleeves

E: perfect fit + hyper matte is for like your magic cube or $1000 modern constructed deck or whatever

This, just don't double sleeve them. I too love the KMC Hyper Matte sleeves.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

JoshTheStampede posted:

I double sleeved some Netrunner just because for whatever reason they were a little loose in the sleeves I had and it made it hard to shuffle. But besides that yeah it's a pain.

You can just store by set --> faction --> card type or set --> number and be fine.

I just sort by set -> number.

CardgameDB decklists print out with the chapter pack information for each card, so i just make dividers for each pack by name and then its not hard to find an individual card in that chapter pack. I order it by number because that way it makes it easy to see if i'm missing something [number went from 45 to 47? I guess i have 46 in decks].

The amount of work it would take to do any other kind of organizing for this seems like it's creating a tedious minigame out of storage. Not for me.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

Don't use the 20 page binders. Get yourself a nice padded school type binder, that zips up so the pages don't sag, that's got a big 3" ring on it. Some people prefer the D Ring, I don't really have a preference but you're spending about the same amount + the cost of the pages which are like 100 pages for $10 or whatever.

in short:

Don't buy this

Buy THIS!

And these

Up until very recently I had all my Star Wars cards in there until it finally overloaded in the middle of the last cycle so it was holding 2 Cores, 4 Deluxe, and 15 packs. Because it's Star Wars the cards were in pockets of 4(2 playsets of 2 cards, back to back). You can do the math on how many cards that is, but it was quite a lot.

Considering the storage boxes cost like $4 bucks, that's pretty pricey.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm double posting, but I just noticed that CSI's prices for upcoming LCG products are more expensive, up from 9.49 to 11.29. Let us all collectively shake our fists at Asmodee.

I thought the CEO's explanation of giving bigger discounts to FLGS which actually help market and provide additional value added services [such as a place to play and a hub to find other people to play with] fairly compelling. It makes sense to me that the online store which doesn't help Asmodee market the game, or provide tournament/league play etc, wouldn't get the same level of discounts that a store providing those things gets.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

So do you not realize that CSI has 5 large retail stores and host a ton of FFG events and tournaments?

They do, and I know that, but I'm thousands of miles away from them and when I buy stuff they aren't improving my local meta at all.

Those B&M stores of CSI will start to get a better discount than the internet channel [from what I can understand]. So this will probably end up being good for the CSI B&M stores.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

EVGA Longoria posted:

lol "i know it's someone's flgs but it's not mine so gently caress 'em"

Beautiful.

The actual price changes don't go into effect until April, so it should only affect produce being released in April or later. If it's hitting earlier, it's probably CSI trying to raise the price a bit.

I think the point is that this will still allow CSI to be active in their local meta, while also incenvitvizing me to help my local meta? Which I already make a point to do as much as I can afford to.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Calm Over Westeros announced for Game of Thrones. Targaryen gets an interesting targeted kill character that seems like it'd be pretty hard to get into play. I can't help but feel that Targaryen and Greyjoy are getting a bit similar, though. They even have a "save a character" card, although it is no Risen From the Sea.

I'm also wondering about getting Mirri Maz Duur into play. Not a lord or lady, not loyal. Obviously it's possible, but I'm thinking there must also be some additional economy cards coming?

Maybe she makes a Lanni to Targ deck with Marching orders as a plot? After marshalling her you save your gold and have several good ambush options out of lanni?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Calling the Banners is the obvious "other" econ option that is less consistent than A Noble Cause, but can sometimes get you more (and sometimes less!). I dislike Marching Orders, especially in Targaryen, since losing the threat of Dracarys is pretty major.

I think the best option if you're going for Mirri is probably Tyrell, since Hobber Redwyne lets you tutor for Dany, Ladies in Waiting help protect her, and Marge lets you push Mirri through (or else force your opponent into keeping a whole hell of a lot back in defense). They also theoretically get some money in the form of To the Rose Banner if you're willing to sacrifice someone for that last push. Randyll and Lorras are always solid power generators as well.

If you're playing Lanni to targ you don't have dracarys, which is targ loyal, right?

The Targ to Rose deck would work as well, and it was my first thought [margery boost for Mirri], but you do get Widows Wail out of Lanni , and it might be just saving 1 gold and bluffing widows wail would get you an advantage where they over commit to a challenge. Seems like she would also fit really well in a heavy intrigue deck, because if you are going to make two intrigue challenges with her on the table, there is a chance that they have to let one through with either a token block, or completely unopposed maybe, just so that they can safely defend the mirri challenge.

Meanwhile Jousting contest would be very strong with her as well.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

sassassin posted:

Like what if the next GOT expansion was about everlasting friendship and banned incest or something idk I don't watch it?

Honestly this should be the new thread title IMO.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
This is pretty interesting for AGoT 2.0 players.

quote:

Announcing the first TTG Tournament Season!
January 12, 2016

Hi everyone, my name is Chris Kizer. I have been playing "A Game of Thrones: The Card Game" on a competitive level for several years in the Tulsa Meta, and my favorite experiences have always been attending various tournaments across the United States. It doesn't hurt that AGoT is one of the most fun game systems I have ever played, but at the end of the day I travel to test my skills against the 100+ friends I have made by being an active member of such an amazing community.

This sentiment is shared by many other competitive tabletop gamers, so I have decided to enhance and expand those gamers' experiences by establishing an exciting new series of tournaments across the US. This tournament series will be accompanied by content that is heavily focused on competitive tabletop gaming, such as player interviews and featured match videos.

I am beyond excited to introduce TABLETOP TOURNEY GROUNDS.

http://www.tabletoptourneygrounds.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I can't believe they banned me for so long when I have always maintained it was just an accident and i didn't mean to draw three cards repeatedly while the game was close and then draw only 2 cards later when I had the game well in hand.

edit: this is from him