Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I have only become aware of the existence of card games like this in 2021 during a recent barnes and noble trip. This is fascinating, and a great idea because I always hated booster packs.

Which games are the best to pick up right now? I'm interested in some level in most of the properties that FFG makes.

Some of these can be played one-player, right?

I saw there was a DC-based one with a ton of content, but it wasnt made by FFG- is that one any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The FFG co-op ones (LotR, Arkham, Marvel) all can be.

I'd advise against LotR. It's great (especially if you like building decks) but availability is spotty and is only going to get worse.

Tolkien family loving with the license again?

I noticed they had a bunch of expansions but no starters.

lmao this is such a cool idea no wonder there havent been any big ccgs outside of Magic, Pokemon and Yugioh in years. What was the last one? VS System or WoW card game?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The game is around 10 years old and has run through most of the logical content. I think FFG has gone through some internal changes too.

Man good on them for resisting the urge that many other gaming companies would have to rerelease stuff as "remastered" sets

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Maybe the DC one you're thinking of is the DC Comics Deck-Building Game which is a competitive game closer to Ascension. It's okay, but not considered an LCG, just a game series with expansions. Deckbuilding games like that start you off with a basic deck of like 10 cards which you upgrade during the individual game and then you're done.

The better version of that which is almost fully cooperative (the only minor competitive part is comparing kill points at the end of the game) is Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, but even that's been eclipsed by Marvel Champions, which is the true LCG that we're all talking about in this thread.

Thats the one. hahaha i thought deck building meant you built the deck prior

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

alansmithee posted:

It's not the Tolkien family from what I understand. It's more just the general shittiness of FFG's logistics and the fact that it's also legit hard keeping back stock for tons of different packs. LotR is a great game though, and I think of the LCGs it's got the most robust deckbuilding. As for my preference, I think Arkham is the best game overall-it's campaign system is the best and allows your deck to basically grow similar to an RPG character, while also providing a nice narrative experience. LotR I do think has more depth in initial deckbuilding overall, but I didn't find campaign play nearly as good. And while I think Marvel Champions is fine, most of my playgroup found the art so bad that we've basically avoided it (except someone who bought it to play with his kid).

And actually there's been a few big CCGs recently, there's actually kinda a mini boom going on. Which is a shame because FFG has basically abandoned their competitive (player vs. player) LCGs.

I'm gonna pick up Marvel and Arkham. PvP is great but playing a single player card game at night with a beer and peace and quiet sounds lovely.

wild about CCGs. sorry about being off topic but what is booming right now? Magic is always magic and I know pokemon is going wild because of youtube

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

if you wanna start with stuff in addition to the Marvel/Arkham core boxes, I recommend:

-- the Green Goblin scenario pack + Dr. Strange / Thor / Black Widow for Marvel, which gives you a nice variety of different heroes and the best scenario pack. If you have to get just one hero pick Strange, who has really fun and unique mechanics.

-- Dream Eaters or Path To Carcosa cycle for Arkham. Dream Eaters is some very cool and trippy Inception poo poo while Carcosa has some of the best scenarios in the game. The bad thing here is Carcosa is still not restocked in most places, but Dream Eaters last I checked was still available in entirety on the FF store.
The one-shot "War of the Outer Gods" standalone scenario is also really amazing.

I just ordered the Arkham core set. I will try a few games and then probably get the carcosa stuff. Thanks!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Arivia posted:

There was an anonymous/throwaway account on Reddit suggesting they fired the guy who had or made the algorithm in a series of cuts and inadvertently lost access to it.

rules

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Asmodee announced a price hike for stuff and then decided to accidentally spoil a bunch of their upcoming Marvel Champions releases.

Next up is:

Nova
Ironheart
SP//dr
Spider-Ham

and then next big box expansion is called Mutant Genesis. So, X-men probably?

with the exception of Nova those other ones have tv shows/movies coming in the next year. its my understanding that asmodee has been working pretty closely with disney on that stuff (though the embracer acquisition might throw that off maybe)

whats the price hike

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

goddamn something about these single player games that tickles my brain the right way. Picked up the champions starter yesterday because my shop had a sale and I’m really excited to crack into it

I played a few games of Arkham the other night using the app and it was awesome- is there an app like that for champions?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

Which app are you referring to?

https://arkhamcards.com/

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

the first few games I tried with the starter Spider-Man deck rhino beat me bad. I had a real hard time with many of the rules as they were printed. Went back and read a bunch of this thread, then tried with the cap marvel deck, and fuckin smoked him first try. Now I’m hooked

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

what are the hero packs worth getting? I know “get who you like” but the only character available I really give a poo poo about is venom. much prefer street level marvel

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

do you think they do a deadpool hero pack or a whole box? feels like hes too big for a pack but too small for an expansion

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

i think that a marvel knights or new avengers wave would be extremely sick

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, that article does not read great for Marvel Champions / Arkham Horror. It's not doom and gloom, but it feels like the kind of squeeze on anything that's not super duper profitable by P/E.

is this just all hearsay or is there actual indications that these games arent doing well? they seem to sell super well around here (except for keyforge, that one can still be found at ocean state job lot and ollie's bargain world)

even barnes and noble cant keep them in stock

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

Is what hearsay? I don't love the idea of FFG divesting itself of any LCG.

I mean, it seems like it just wasnt doing well, anecdotally it's the star of multiple clearance sections, it just looks like one of the creators bought it back.

I'm talking about Marvel and Arkham not doing well, which is what you were talking about.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

As far as organized play goes for MC, I’ve read on the Facebook group that FFG reps for stores confirmed they killed OP for it. FFG had some upcoming promo stuff listed (alternate versions of Valkyrie and some others and a HP dial) that got canned because of Covid. FFG apparently has no plans to start it back up, but maybe that could change. My local store apparently got something but I have no idea what they did get and I haven’t been by recently to bug them about when they’re going to set something up.

I dont think this is super surprising- I think a lot of the appeal of these games is that they can be played one player. The VTM card game has been doing super well in organized play.

i also think its probably a lot harder to get people to come out to not be competitive

John Romero fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 30, 2022

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Phoenix article posted

So Phoenix looks like she has an incredibly powerful kit and can be super OP, you can take control of minions, have the villain remove threat when he thwarts, and you can shield up damage. However, I think her nemesis minion/obligation more than makes up for her being strong because this looks like the nastiest nemesis I’ve seen. Huge HP total, decent stat line with villainous attached and has tough right off the bat. If you’re not careful her side scheme can also cost you the game.

I like it. She feels like a great risk/reward hero but not in a way that I think slows down the game like Starlord was.

I feel like phoenix is the best argument for LCGs as a concept. In any other game a wild rear end concept like this would completely break everything, but since this is a cooperative game and everyone has the same ability to get a hold of these cards they can kinda do whatever they want with them as long as they’re fun to play.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

the new packs are out right

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

there’s that one dc card game Barnes and noble has a poo poo ton of all the time

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

I think both heroes ultimately will be both regarded as great heroes long term. I hope that FFG goes back to Web Warriors quickly after X-men and gives us another 3-4 packs because I would like to see some Leadership and Aggression stuff for them so I can build a tiny bit better. I think breaking up this cycle with Web Warrior/Champions hurt the pool available if you wanna build around that trait. I’m not saying you can’t build good decks regardless, but I feel it a little where all my leadership allies for Ham are Avenger.

my fingers are crossed for maybe some new avengers/midnight sons/general street-level heroes next go so there might be a bit of crossover with web warriors

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

I’ve actually been playing champions with my almost five year old. I mostly just play his turns for him but he’s getting very good at recognizing aspects and what certain cards do.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

personally i think it would be sick if they did the same type of smaller villain/scenario packs about specific storylines like a days of future past scenario or even campaign maybe

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

sirtommygunn posted:

LotR is pretty good and not quite dead yet.

my local shop has like 5 dudes who show up and buy every single lotr release and nothing else, never are seen any other time

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Wasn't Keyforge doing really well before COVID? That'll kill a game's momentum.

from what I've seen, the vampire LCG has been doing pretty well competitively

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

the awesome thing about arkham horror is that I have played the starter storyline with three characters and it has been completely different every time

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

todays the day for muties

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

wild to not do deadpool but maybe he gets his own thing

how do you get promo dividers

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

weird that ffg has been so quiet!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

we’re gonna hear something about marvel any day now

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

I guess they’re doing organized play again with booster packs of alternate cards

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

teasing something on IG

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2023/4/6/next-evolution/

i've been whining about more x men but this looks pretty sick

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

drat the packaging always looks so low rent

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

The pandemic, the weird price surge in cards, the apps for Pokémon and magic, and also the kids who played the first waves now having kids of their own who want to play have been major drivers in the resurgence of card games. My kid likes Pokémon and I’ve found myself pulled back into that world with him.

and honestly it fuckin rocks. We need more licensed card games with lovely rules. It’s 1999 again. nu metal is back. Let’s fuckin go

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

Yo, holy cow. I never knew there was a Star Wars version of Pirates of the Spanish Main. It's wild how good those models are, considering.

they loving collapsed immediately. wizkids was on some wild poo poo back then

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

honestly, its fine if it keeps prices where they are but it always feels like FFG's packaging for Champions is dirt cheap. All of the hero packs look like clip art in cheap clamshell packs, I'm surprised Disney is cool with it

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

cant wait to be done with x men

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

Nightcrawler is going to be interesting to me, but Beast and Jubilee are extremely boring and I hope they have some interesting designs in mind to spice them up.

Assuming they have the license beyond this X-Men arc, I figure we're getting an extended Marvel Knights arc. Fantastic Four won the fan poll on Facebook last time I checked but with the Netflix stuff becoming MCU canon I think we're getting that stuff looped in. Daredevil, Elektra, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Moon Knight, Echo, and Punisher. Maybe even looping into a few Young Avengers with Hawkeye(Kate), America Chavez, and Stature(or whatever name Cassie is using now).

I don't think we'll see FF until they join the MCU and the game could be long dead by then. I don't see Disney doing the LotR thing and just letting them toss out a wave every year till the end of time.

Re: Iceman. He looks just ok to me, at least the X-Men have a good way of readying with allies and Utopia. That said, he looks like he can't handle schemes for poo poo so I hope the missing cards in his card are very strong thwart ones. He's another hero that's going to play a million times better with Cable letting him get his upgrade asap.

if Star Wars unlimited doesn’t hit I think things are gonna be tough with asmodee ffg and embracer. i assume disney doesn’t care as much if there’s a miniatures and lcg game that only uses comic appearances and from what i understand both MCP and champions move units. swu has a lot of eyes on it and they hosed up real bad with destiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

neosloth posted:

The art on the star wars game is so repulsive that I haven’t even looked at the mechanics. It’s a bummer if they have all their eggs in that basket

It looks so fun but the art is so goddamn ugly I won’t touch it. Same with shatterpoint.