Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I just bought the LoTR Core set (having lots of fun with it so far, just built my first custom deck) and while I realize I’m way behind the times I am getting bewildered looks whenever I go into a game store asking about expansions. Either they only sell Magic and Pokemon or they have zero LoTR product. One store had Arkham Horror and another had some Marvel stuff. Am I better off trying a different game or is it worth hunting things down online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

How is Marvel for solo play? It would be nice to get into a game that’s still in its early life.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I went to the “good” game store in town finally and ended up grabbing Marvel Champions and the Hunt for Gollum Adventure Pack for LotR. I’m gonna wait on more LotR stuff until I see what the new release/re-release looks like. Although, if I cave the shop had all of the expansions and a lot of the Adventure Packs.

McGurk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 13, 2021

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

After playing a few more games of Champions and LotR I can't really decide which I like better. Obviously they are very similar in mechanics but they feel different in action. LotR's quests so far have a nice variety in the tasks you are assigned and take a bit more thought to puzzle out and prepare for. Marvel feels like it has more action, like building up Iron Man's suit piece by piece was so much fun and each hero feels totally different to play. The alter-ego flipping is great. With three heroes in LotR you don't really get a feel for any of them and they just become whatever their card action is.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

The Hood scenario pack announced

Seems like it could be challenging but perhaps in a good way. Some of those minions look super tough.

Big news is that there’s a new Standard and Expert encounter sets, so hopefully this is the response to people bitching the game was never difficult enough and the scenarios on Standard will be on the lighter side of difficulty so those who want more challenge yet go to standard 2 or expert 2.

This seems really neat with all the encounter sets - easy way to get a lot of variety for cheap.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I picked up Ant-Man and got my butt kicked using the default deck against Green Gobbo. Gonna try messing with it later but the mechanics of him are pretty fun. I think I’m going to grab the Red Skull box next.

Also in LotR news I found Conflict at the Carrock at the LGS and bought it along with The Hills of Emyn Muil. I am trying really hard and failing at not buying LotR stuff in anticipation of a 2nd edition and possible repackaging like how they are doing Arkham now.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Played Ant-man aggression with Longshot justice vs mutagen formula and had a wonderful time. Things like surprise attack are amazing, and he has so many upgrades hall of heroes is a good fit.

What does Longshot mean here? Do you have a link to the deck?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Just took another run at GG Mutagen with default Ant-Man, went a lot better. I was able to get some allies on the board and keep them healthy for the most part. He can really deal some damage when he’s in Giant form. Team-Building Exercise was really useful in getting everything out and ripping.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

That’s one thing I always have to remind myself of when switching between LotR and Marvel.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I've been doing a campaign style progression through the villains I have so far. I beat Expert Rhino with Cap/Leadership and Iron Man/Aggression, but Iron Man died. I replaced Iron Man with She-Hulk/Justice and she died but we beat Expert Klaw. For Ultron I'm thinking of doing a Spider-Man/Protection just to keep the rotation going. Cap doesn't hit too hard though so we'll see how it goes if Spidey is more about defense.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

If anyone's looking to pick LotR up and you're in the states, I'd probably trade my collection off. The more I thought about it, between AH and MC, I don't see it getting the the table any time soon.

What all do you have?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Nova/Sam Alexander announced for Marvel Champions. Looks like he has a really good kit and I’m excited to see more.

What they also stealthily announced, was that it seems they cannot keep up with their releases and they’re now every other month. Which explains why nothing new was announced till now. Sinister Motives is March, and Nova is April. Gets me a little worried about the state of the game.

I really wouldn't be worried. There are 2000+ cards out/announced now and I think the X-Men box is going to be really popular later this year.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Reading through the Nova page it's cool he comes with a modular set too.

As we mentioned earlier, the Nova Hero Pack is the first hero pack that also comes with a bonus modular encounter set! This set features the ultra-tough Armadillo (Nova, 29), a Brute minion with the unique ability to stack up multiple tough status cards at once.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/1/27/unleashing-the-nova-force/

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Wait, so is Armadillo in lieu of Nova's nemesis?

Looks like just a bonus. Not having a nemesis would break the game a bit in terms of the Standard villain cards.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/2/17/maximum-efficiency/

Ironheart article - some interesting bits:

This hero pack also includes a bonus modular set featuring the bizarre electromagnetic intelligence, Zzzax!
Right off the bat, it’s clear that Ironheart is a particularly unique hero for one major reason: she has three identity cards!
Note: Our hope is to release all future hero packs in pairs (each will remain their own separate product) barring any shipping delays or other logistical issues.

McGurk fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 17, 2022

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I finally got around to running through the Red Skull box as well. I did a pretty basic Captain America solo leadership deck and I had the most trouble with Crossbones. Every other villain was relatively easy, I didn't discard or use my upgrades until Red Skull. Definitely need to try on expert next. My favorite card was the Rapid Response upgrade - getting my allies right back after they died was huge.

Also for whatever reason playing MC two handed slows me down so much compared to playing LotR two handed, not sure why.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

I bought the Marvel Champions starter set awhile back (and then bought the Arkham Horror revised starter a little bit later and got waaaaay into that to the point I forgot about MC completely), I've played the starter stuff a bit now, was thinking of buying a few hero packs or possibly one of the big boxes since those come with a couple heroes and some new villains, probably Red Skull or Sinister Motives since I generally prefer the earth based stuff to the cosmic stuff. Are the villain encounter packs well regarded at all? Green Goblin, Kang, the Hood, etc? Could end up buying one of those, a big box and one hero pack potentially, that'd give me enough to be getting on with for a bit.

Green Goblin is probably the best scenario pack - you get two fun scenarios that are fairly different from each other. Kang is fun and has some neat encounter sets you can mix in, but works best in multiplayer. I would avoid The Wrecking Crew as it is pretty one dimensional. Haven't gotten around to getting The Hood yet.

For the campaign expansions you are probably safe buying any of them, but most people recommend Red Skull as the best one to start with. It's relatively easy but a good introduction to campaign mechanics and I enjoyed the villains/heroes. Galaxy's Most Wanted is considered extremely difficult.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

If you don't enjoy deckbuilding do not play LotR LCG.

I would agree with this but there are sooo many good resources for decks and tips for LotR.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I’m also losing a lot lately. I’m being extremely stubborn playing solo Rocket Aggression vs the GMW campaign. On part 3 and I come so close but the third stage is brutal with threat.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I’ve tried two-handed in Marvel and LotR and keep going back to true solo. It’s so much faster and easier to focus for me. I’d rather miss out on some of the multiplayer dynamics and get more games in - two-handed feels like it takes way more than twice as long.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

John Romero posted:

honestly, its fine if it keeps prices where they are but it always feels like FFG's packaging for Champions is dirt cheap. All of the hero packs look like clip art in cheap clamshell packs, I'm surprised Disney is cool with it

I don’t disagree but somehow it still looks better than any Legendary game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

tomdidiot posted:

Lol secondary market LotR LCG Chapter pack prices are insane, espeically for the packs they aren't planning on reprinting.

If you dig around you can find print-ready PDFs of all the cards. Some print-to-order places will print the actual card backs too.