Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

mongol posted:

My buddy Mitch (COTR/The Tenth Nazgul) made a guide a while back, but there has been a lot of changes to the program since then. I'm planning to make an updated guide on my blog.

As promised, I have my tutorial up now.

http://youtu.be/WH7L92bm9WY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

Does Gandalf's Staff allow you to discard a shadow card after it has been revealed so as to cancel it, or do you have to discard before the reveal?

Only before it's revealed. There isn't an action window between revealing the shadow effect and resolving it.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Devlan Mud posted:

That particular insert is the Sleeved Card Game Organizer from Broken Token, my local store stocks their stuff, which is the main reason I got it as opposed to any other brand.

I have everything released in two Hobby Lobby artist boxes, using Broken Tokens insert for said box. That's just the encounter cards. All player cards I have in binders

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

PJOmega posted:

Anyone have a good set of 4 decks out of 2 cores for LotR? Have no idea what to do when it comes to deckbuilding.

You can't really build a 4x 50 card decks with just two cores. Just take all the cards, max 3, and 2 Gandalfs for each deck and call it a day.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Taran_Wanderer posted:

This, pretty much. You could also try building four dual-sphere decks with fewer cards. 35 or 40 would probably be good.

That would probably be better, since you are going to have 6 copies of some cards.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

Should I sleeve my cards? Should I sleeve just player cards or everything including double sided cards (ie clear sleeves).

I sleeve everything... it gets expensive, but I like the feel of sleeved cards.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

Okay, so what thematic deck will they suggest for that one when you won't have Frodo or Smeagol? Sam, a Faramir maybe and ???

I'm betting we'll get two new heroes, both Rangers of Ithilien. I'd guess a new version of Faramir (leadership, perhaps?) and another. I'd guess a hero version of Damrod.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

PJOmega posted:

If I attack with Dain Ironfoot (printed attack of 2) and another dwarf who has a printed attack of 2, would I deal 6 or 4 damage?

4. Once he's exhausted, his boost its gone.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

If I could by a "completion pack" for any LCG core with just the cards I need to get everything in triplicate, I'd buy it in a heartbeat even if it cost like 75-85% of the core set price. It's not so much about the money than the fact that I just feel really really lovely buying Yet Another Core Set with a useless huge cardboard box and a bunch of cards that I have literally no use for.

http://teamcovenant.com/store/covenant-starters.html

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Fourth AP announcement for Angmar Awakened...
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/8/the-treachery-of-rhudaur/
...that hero :stare: I wonder what type of deck I could make around him.

I'm thinking a Lore/Tactics deck. Perhaps paired with Hama and Mablung. You could use Mablung's ability for resource generation to pay for cards, and Hama could recycle events that are discarded. Throw Protector of Lorien in there to fully utilize the extra cards.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

NuclearPotato posted:

So I'm finally getting a chance to play LotR with other people tomorrow. One of them (my brother) has played the game with me once before, but the other people (potentially up to two, I don't know exactly who's going to be there) are new to the game. The problem here is that I only have one core, plus Hunt for Gollum. Playing on easy should reduce the strain a bit; are there any cards from HfG that you all, the experienced deckbuilders, would add in? Assume that I'd stick to 30 card decks in 4 player. If there's only three, I'll probably have the Beorn's Path decks available, but that'll mean having to create a similar deck for the third player with the leftovers, so suggestions on that would be nice, too.

Leadership
Replace Brok Ironfist and/or Grim Resolve for Campfire Tales and Dunedain Mark

Lore
Replace Gandalf's Search with Strider's Path

Spirit
Replace Power in the Earth for Westfold Horse-Breaker

Tactics
Replace Stand Together for Winged Guardian.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

I'm still fairly new to Conquest, but I'm trying to help a buddy out by building him an Ork deck. He wants to focus on the core set for now, but I have enough core sets to do 3x of everything. Here's what I put together. Thoughts?

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Nazdreg (Core Set)

Army Unit: (19)
4x Nazdreg’s Flash Gitz (Core Set)
3x Crushface (Core Set)
3x Goff Boyz (Core Set)
3x Rugged Killa Kans (Core Set)
3x Shoota Mob (Core Set)
3x Sniveling Grot (Core Set)

Attachment: (7)
1x Cybork Body (Core Set)
3x Dire Mutation (Core Set)
3x Rune-Encrusted Armor (Core Set)

Event: (11)
2x Bigga is Betta (Core Set)
3x Battle Cry (Core Set)
3x Promise of Glory (Core Set)
3x Snotling Attack (Core Set)

Support: (13)
1x Kraktoof Hall (Core Set)
3x Bigtoof Banna (Core Set)
3x Ork Kannon (Core Set)
3x Promethium Mine (Core Set)
3x Tellyporta Pad (Core Set)

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Has anyone here beaten The Dunland Trap?

Yes. The first time I beat it using this deck: https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2014/07/10/deck-aggro-boromir/

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Hey so I think I might take the plunge to Get the LoTr ccg and I had a few questions

Do I need 2 decks to get a full set of starter cards?
Ie is there a card I want 2 chipsw of but starter only has 1?

Is it possible to play as mainly dwarves? Those guys are my favorite

Last any must have expansions starting out?

Ok. Let me try to respond.

For a full set, you need three core sets, but there's only about 13 cards that you need that third set for, so I recommend only getting one, then getting a second if you really love it.

It is totally possible to play Dwarf decks, and for a while, they were the dominate archetype. If you want to play Dwarves, get these expansions first:
* Return to Mirkwood Adventure Pack
* The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill Saga Expansion
* The Hobbit: On the Doorstep Saga Expansion

There are other great expansions, but those will give you a good start on Dwarves. For a great purchasing guide, check out my buddy Ian's blog: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

That's because the 2nd edition came out at Gen Con.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Bad rear end thank you so much for the response. Your buddies site is fantastic and incredibly insightful. I've been reading through his different decks as well as his feelings on the expansions.

Once you've exhausted his, check out my blog, which is admittedly not as good, but features more videos of gameplay!

http://mirkwoodrunner.blogspot.com/

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

frgildan posted:

Elf friend feels like one of the most broken cards for Lord of the Rings. I had Gimli hitting for 10 damage and had range and had black arrow on him.

But how many cards did you have, how many turns did it take, and how close to death was he? The fact that it doesn't do anything on its own but give a trait doesn't make it broken.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Minrad posted:

In LOTR, if a player does something to look at the top of the encounter deck, do all players get to see it or only the player who used an action to look at it? (And in the latter situation he wouldn't be able to do more than warn "welp bad poo poo's coming" or whatever you think doesn't go against the spirit of the game)

That's up to you guys. I typically play it as public information.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

LOTR: if a monster attacks you from staging, does it engage that player?

No

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

LOTR: Does Erkenbrand's ability make The Day's Rising not work?

Correct

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Am I reading Carn Dum right that if Thraudir champion has 3 sorceries revealed in staging, he gets 3 attacks?

He immediately attacks for each one.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

sassassin posted:

Erestor's ability says you discard all cards from your hand at the end of every round.

Galdor lets you draw a card when you discard a card from your hand once per round.

Can the former trigger the latter? If so, would you keep the card or would it also be discarded ahead of the next round?

Similar question re: Silver Harp which lets you reclaim one discarded card.

After Erestor's effect triggers, it doesn't trigger again that round. You would discard, you would then draw a card, which you would keep for the next round. Silver Harp would let you keep a card to the next round.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

FYI, if anyone is looking for the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, it's back in stock at CSI.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

sassassin posted:

Lorfindel might work better than his Spirit version tbh.

I don't understand this statement. Why? To go from a starting threat of 34 from 27, you get a mediocre, at best, healing ability, and a lore resource icon. Even if you don't get Light of Valinor in your starting hand, Spirit Glorfindel is the superior choice.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

sassassin posted:

A lore resource every turn is more valuable than another spirit one when he's playing Eowyn & Elrond. If he's looking for Elrond to spend on other spheres he's going to have a hard time playing the great Lore cards he has access to.

His healing becomes 2/resource because of Elrond. Makes Healing Herbs easier to use (Elrond has better things to do, usually).

He has access to threat reduction in spirit.

Can play Light of Valinor on Elrond instead without the negative ability to nullify. Quest + Defend or Ring abilty is better than Quest + Attack.

I haven't played a huge number of scenarios, but -7 threat pales in comparison to actual utility imo.

There is nothing in a Elrond/Glorfindel/Eowyn deck that would justify Healing Herbs. The loss of either of those heroes to heal another would be a waste of their stats. Looking at the cards available in the expansions he has, I would rather have more access to Spirit resources. Throw all unexpected courages on Elrond, and you have plenty of utility on both Elrond and Glorfindel.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Mr. Met posted:

I keep reading that FFG thinks the LCG space is saturated and that the consensus is that a game will be retired when they launch Five Rings. Is that right, and is the idea that it will likely be LOTR? I'd be kinda bummed about that since it occupies a unique space in being co-op and playable solo, which is how I play. I also just started getting into it and would love to collect everything (sans Nightmare cards) eventually. If they go in that direction, I hope they keep stuff in print a while, or design a new game that allows for solo play.

The only reason they would do that is if they wanted to get completely out of the cooperative realm in LCGs, which I doubt.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

I think the toughest thing you're going to have with this deck is getting the Skyward Volley combo off. Your only tactics hero isn't Noldor, so can't take advantage of Arwen's abiity. Sure, you can draw into Song of Battle, but that's two cards in 50.

Also, ringsdb.com is a beautiful thing. Here's your deck:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/912/selecta84-s-skyward-volley-deck-1.0

And here's my version:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/913/my-version-of-selecta84-s-skyward-volley-deck-1.0

I trimmed out the horse breakers for Rivendell Minstrels, so you can fetch the songs. I also added To the Sea, To the Sea, since most of the allies are Noldor, giving you some more cost smoothing. I took out Daeron's Runes, since Elven Light is a pretty strong card draw and I added Will of the West to recycle the deck if needed.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ian's buying guide is an excellent source. I also posted my own guide, where I give a bit more guidance, based on what you're looking for.

http://mirkwoodrunner.blogspot.com/2016/02/what-do-i-buy-mirkwood-runner-buying.html

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

radlum posted:

My FLGS only has the LOTR LCG Mirkwood cycle packs. I'm thinking of getting one of them, which has the most fun quest or the better balance between quest/cards?

Conflict at the Carrock. You get Frodo's Hero card, as well as my favorite quest from the cycle.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

This is the biggest inside joke in the LOTR community. Can it be a rule to not discuss speculation of LOTR dying?

sassassin posted:

They're at the end of the book at it's already got a huge number of expansions and the people running it don't give a poo poo about LotR itself and are already eyeing new projects.

Dragging it out with new stuff fewer and fewer people will buy doesn't make sense, especially when power creep has already made a lot of early expansion player cards obsolete. They'll get Frodo to Mount Doom then reprint stuff periodically until it stops selling.

This is the dumbest loving thing I've read. I know Caleb and Matt personally and they bleed LOTR. Power creep isn't a thing. If anything, there has been a throttling of power. They have been focused on new mechanics, rather than just upping strength.

Let's move on.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Head's up, in case you don't follow the deals thread. Lost Realm and Land of Shadow will be included in Miniature Market's sale that's going on in an hour.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

canyoneer posted:

I really liked the video game Shadow of Mordor, despite venturing into :siren: non canon territory :siren:
This also seems cool.

I tried making a custom quest based on it a while back. I should go back and mess with it some more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VHIfwWvf5s

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

sassassin posted:

That Legolas has a Noldor power.

I love it. It gives you a reliable discard for in-sphere cards like Elven Light and ally Glorfindel.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

sassassin posted:

Like a lot of Noldor characters, yeah.

Silvan is supposed to be a different theme.

To be fair, Eowyn did discard first, as did Protector of Lorien (which is Silvan from a thematic standpoint), so it's not like any keyword owns one particular mechanic.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Sloober posted:

I really do wish FFG released a 3-4p gear pack so i dont have to waste money on another box and toss out half the cards. (For Arkham LCG)

Every player card is useful in a second core set. The only thing you're "wasting" are the encounter cards. I don't have the sets in front of me, but you could use the extra encounter cards to have multiple scenarios built at the same time.

Overall, I'd say AH is one of the best value propositions as far as LCG core sets go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Can somebody with more skill than me make some dividers for AH LCG?

I like these:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/138641/vertical-themed-dividers-sleeved-cards