Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Trashes

It's not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Any guides to GoT deck building? I've read that 30 characters and 9 limited cards is a good place to start, but I'm lost as far as archetypes and stuff. I really like the Starks play style so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How are titles chosen in Melee? Draft? Who chooses first?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Melee definitely requires a deck specifically made for it. Joust and Melee are basically completely different games, and the titles are a really cool mechanic that make for shifting allegiances and powers every turn. Very cool. I played a few games last night, stomped with Stark/Greyjoy and got stomped with Targ/Lannister. I just can't grasp the economy side of the game yet to do well with the Lannister cards, whereas Stark/Greyjoy is very much a straightforward "smash everything" aggro deck with lots of straightforward synergy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

GoT is just too absent of theme.

yo what the gently caress?

Every time I play I'm blown away by the thematic implementation of mechanics with respect to the characters/locations/plots etc. Every card just makes sense with respect to the source material and it's what makes the game for me. Played Greyjoy last night and got a kick out of realizing Theon gets a bonus for attacking unopposed, because he's a cowardly little poo poo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The theme is still fantasy and that is clear as day. If you haven't read the books or seen the show then it's at least as thematic as Netrunner or Conquest. The art and text on the cards tell you as much about the characters and cards as any other card game, and you can figure out a lot about them even having no clue about the source. The challenges are thematic as hell for a fantasy game about factions fighting for the throne, as are the kneeling and death mechanics.

For instance, the Starks all have a ton of synergy and act like a pack of wolves, because that's basically what they are. Their design and mechanics are thematic, even if you don't know them beforehand you can look through the deck, read the cards, and get that sense (as someone did last night that has never read or seen GoT).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You definitely can. Stark/Greyjoy and Lannister/Nighrs Watch are two good ones, as are Targ/Martell and Bara/Tyrell. Here's some deck lists

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/123229/deck-lists-two-core-sets

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So far it's pretty intuitive. Cards that target all opponents are obviously better than single (Wildfire plot over Heads on a Spike for instance), and characters that can stand somehow are great so you can attack and defend. Having a decent but not too big board presence is key. 3-4 characters is just right, more than that is Wildfire bait.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I would recommend the 4 decks I shared above. They're "real" decks and tournament legal, and will work better with the duplicate copies and stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah those starter decks are a terrible matchup. Starks have tons of synergy and very straightforward style that did the same in the first three games we tried.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GoT is going to be big because of its IP and the great design. It's easily the best for people to get into at this point, as playing catch up on Netrunner skills and collections is daunting. it's easily the most likely to develope a good scene in any area behind Netrunner. Star Wars would be the big one, but the design is pretty devisive and that IP is dominated by X-Wing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Hound sure is a character :D

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I got Euron and Throwin Axe out during setup, then Balon first turn with Sneak attack and Sea Tower and a Risen from the Sea in hand. My opponent had no chance. Won 15-1.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Marched to the Wall would have ruined you.

Yup, I kept worrying about that.

Speaking of plots, aside from Wildfire, what do you guys consider auto includes for every deck?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of, what is the best use for NW right now do you guys think? Supporting Stark?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sansa's ability is still once per turn, so I guess that's only good for multiple challenges or dominance. I think this pack is going to make Stark fealty a real threat though.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 29, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AGoT talk, Stark Tyrell banner is really good and really fun to play. No wolves from Stark, Randall, Margery, and Olennas Informant from Tyrell, etc. Been playing this deck all week and loving it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nique posted:

I've played a bunch of a somewhat aggro Stark (fealty) and just don't see how I could afford ambush 4 for Olenna's easily, and it seems it will often pan out like a way more expensive version of Winter is coming.

Also I prefer Knight of flowers to Randall, do you not run him at all? Can you share a decklist? I've considered Tyrell banner instead of fealty, so would be good to see how different yours is to my mockup.

I do run Knight and Winter is Coming. I'll post the deck list in a bit!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The whole cycle looks amazing. Really excited about the future of this game.

Lannisters are shaping up to be maybe the most swingy house, they rake in the gold while starving the opponents hand of options. They're also super fun to play, Casterly Rock, Tyrion, and their numerous event cards lead to a lot of fun challenge phase tricks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The best advice I've read about starting with AGoT 2.0 deck building is to limit your deck to about 3 characters that cost 5 or more and build around them. You can do 4 if you have plenty of economy cards, but it's a trap to shove a bunch of the big characters into a deck (especially if playing two houses). That one guideline really streamlined all my decks and made them much better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm correct in assuming that Veteran Builder let's you use The Wall twice at the end of the challenge phase (assuming it was already standing), right? I won a big come from behind victory last night by gaining 7 power with an unopposed power challenge, then using The Wall twice, then getting dominance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dang, that sounds correct. We didn't have the rules book on hand to check the action windows, so we allowed it. I assumed it was because The Wall doesn't have a written limit like many other similar cards have.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Moriatti posted:

Gaming with friends and my little brother, do I do Ashes, Doomtown, Conquest or Versus? Little bro likes Legendary and is somewhat of a sore loser.

VS. is solid but who knows how long it will be supported. Conquest is really good. Doomtown melts my brain. Ashes is MEH.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Game of Thrones LCG 2.0 Core set is $20 today at CSI

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/215718

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Good luck with Lannisters in melee, in my experience you will get absolutely creamed due to lack of military strength. Can't make use of all those intrigue bonuses when you have an empty board.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Binders suck for LCGs because every time a chapter pack comes out you have to rearrange everything to make room, assuming you keep them in a sensible order (faction --> card type ---> alphabetical). Long boxes with plastic dividers are the way to go and cost next to nothing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

I double sleeved some Netrunner just because for whatever reason they were a little loose in the sleeves I had and it made it hard to shuffle. But besides that yeah it's a pain.

You can just store by set --> faction --> card type or set --> number and be fine.

So you'd have to go through multiple sections or binders to build a fealty deck because you sort them by expansions? Seems like a pain in the rear end. I prefer to look through everything together when deck building.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have no issues with OCTGN on my 2012 Macbook Air

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's still expensive and time consuming (in deck building and sorting). For $3 I have a 1600 card long box and set of dividers for the various factions and card types. Bonus: the cards can all be sleeved in these boxes and that still comes out cheaper than buying binders.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Azran posted:

I think I'd recommend the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game if you want more emphasis on the coop and less on the deckbuilding (there's none).

Came here to post this. It'll have expansions as well, but it's purely a puzzle of using your characters actions and equipment correctly to beat the quests, not building a deck against the enemy deck. It's really good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Man, you guys just gotta buy in on LCG's when they're on sale. AGoT core was $20 already at CSI. I have 4 cores and a chapter pack and haven't broken $100 on the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's my point, that would still only be $85 total for 3x core and a chapter pack, far from the $120+ the guy was saying 3x core costs. Basing actual cost on MSRP is a bit disingenuous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

As someone who lives overseas, I can't feel that sorry for people in the U.S. suddenly being forced to pay closer to MSRP. Import taxes plus shipping fees, and local seller price adjustments mean I typically pay 110-120% of MSRP already($17 USD for an LCG pack). When my friend lived in the US and didn't mind carrying games over in his luggage I'd take advantage of CSI a lot so I know that the amount of money consumers stand to "lose" if the price hops is huge.

One thing I'll agree with that guy about though is about everything but the cost being window dressing. FFG has an online store already right on their website. When you complain you "can't buy online" what you really mean is that you can't buy online from a seller you've got customer rewards points with, who deeply discounts the price of their goods. FFG has an online store, it ships worldwide, and it's not going anywhere.

My situation sucks, so I want everyone's situation to suck. Thanks!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

tijag posted:

I thought the CEO's explanation of giving bigger discounts to FLGS which actually help market and provide additional value added services [such as a place to play and a hub to find other people to play with] fairly compelling. It makes sense to me that the online store which doesn't help Asmodee market the game, or provide tournament/league play etc, wouldn't get the same level of discounts that a store providing those things gets.

So do you not realize that CSI has 5 large retail stores and host a ton of FFG events and tournaments? Not to mention anyone that doesn't have a FLGS and has to buy online, this is just putting the bill on their shoulders, but I bet FLGS prices won't go down a single penny. If Asomodee wasn't full of poo poo, online retailers prices should have stayed the same and FLGS' should have been given a discount to be competitive with online retailers. This is pissing on the players' shoulders and calling it rain.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 31, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Jon Snow isn't that great,

and poo poo for power generation,
Jon Snow is an amazing defensive character, maybe the best in the game, and him + The Wall is one of the best power generation combos in the game :psyduck:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 3, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh right, forgot attacking. He's still great, probably their best expensive character. Overall NW feels like they're the least well formed faction so far, but they have interesting tools at their disposal and are really unique in their design, just need a bit more cards to get there.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 4, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh poo poo, I didn't know the new chapter pack was in stores. My fealty Lannister deck is going to be so happy.

Also, what do you guys think about the sentiment that Targ is the strongest faction right now? Also, Targ fealty or Targ/Lanni?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Carteret posted:

Don't buy Sirlin games until the 2nd edition, if at all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sirlin has made an art form of exploiting his games and fans via expensive small expansions (basically Boardgames DLC) and quickly revised rules forcing people to buy second and third editions. It's pretty lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I like the RTS influence, but there's a few things that really turn me off. One is the inconsistent art styles. Call me a nitpicker but man, it just bothers me to no end having anime style cards and realistic style cards and all kinds of different jumbled art styles in the same game. It screams "this game was kickstarted" and really makes me want to run full-speed the other direction.

Its bad enough playing a game like Consortium where everybody is a ridiculous Bishonen anime character, but at least its consistent. Codex is even worse because 1/3rd of the characters are Bishonen anime but the other 2/3rds are like, romantic paintings or realism.

They have a very 'kitchen sink' theme going on. Anime swordsmen and archers, magic, technology, wizards, samurai, aliens, bears, ninjas, pirates, it just feels like a mess.

I agree, that was the first thing I noticed before I even realized it was a Sirlin game. Terrible art direction overall.