Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to solicit my nullsec recap videos on TMC and ask that they be added to the OP, we need that sweet sweet YouTube money.

Not really...

...well, sorta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

I linked one article of yours but I'll be happy to do more if they are decent. Link them

This is a playlist of the past five months of nullsec recap vids - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrk-tHMgg_i8KQe2y437GF7mnMxm_3on_

i do cocaine posted:

Well you could post some links to make it super easy for Vyst to grab them and put them in the OP.

Please, that would require forethought on my part.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I joined Goonswarm in 2011, made my initial cash by salvaging after fleet fights, then trained up 43 million skillpoints exclusively in frigates, destroyers, assault ships, interceptors, EWAR frigates and interdictors.

Now I'm unfucking reservations for EG leadership in turkish-mafia-related shitholes motels in Germany.

Join EG today!

:cripes:

EVE is real

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiteski posted:

What does this guy have against RvB? That place is high sec's one redeeming feature.

Edit: ^^^ it's not a bad idea to get minmatar frigates to five, no matter what. Hounds are one of the siege fleet top choices, and the stiletto(or slasher? I can never remember which is which) is a great interceptor.

Because something to deal with RvB and CFC not fighting over POCOS? Something like that, or whatever. I forget, his autism is too confusing for me to follow.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiteski posted:

That's a pretty compelling reason, thanks for that. Is there a way to change the eve folder so when I am in any ship it renders my screen showing it as an abaddon?(or any other ship really) I feel this would... We'll it wouldn't make any difference now I think about it, who the hell zooms in during fights.

Oh, so by his logic they are an extension of the "CFC PETS"
I wish we could take credit for that. It's so good.

To be entirely fair, mining does become insanely profitable per hour after something like 10 accounts mining with boosts.

No I don't mine. But I did once upon a time.

You'll note I have no clue what his logic is, I can't follow that level of idiocy.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just read Fifty Shades of Gray on the live stream. Make it a truly hell-like experience.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First edition of the EVE comic book is out.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/eve-true-stories-the-comic-book-based-on-true-events-20.000-years-into-the-future/

Preview here - https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/4386/

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 19, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kheldragar posted:

Okay, who drew that comic because it's amazing. :allears:

Tomm Coker

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hemophilia posted:

That comic is simultaneously the best and worst thing.

How so? I thought it did a decent job for non-EVE people to enjoy the "juicy" part of EVE without having to play the terrible game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hemophilia posted:

I think the dialogue is pretty bad. No, I really hate it, it's really bad. The art is fantastic though, so I can deal with it I guess. I'm not huge on comics to begin with, but I'll probably keep reading this one until the writing undoes it completely for me.

Fair enough, I agree the dialogue in the fight scenes is pretty weak. The Haargoth/BoB scenes weren't terrible.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neobdragon posted:

So what ever the gently caress happened to that TV show they said they were making?

TV shows, as with movies, take more than just a year to get off the ground. Considering the director they approached was mid-post production on a movie and had other stuff lined up as well it's not shocking they're not even able to announce much about it.

The film/TV industry is 70% setting up the deal, 20% marketing it/shopping it around to distributors and 10% doing the actual production.

Edit -

Apparently he has http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missionary_(TV_film) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everest_(2015_film) on his plate so he'll likely be busy until after they're finished.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 19, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's official guys, Mad Ani can't even stream anymore thanks to changes CCP made with the camera system.

https://www.facebook.com/SimonakaDJMad

quote:

CCP has changed the whole advance camera controls. No idea why they did this, but it's done. Basically this has nullified completely what I did with it. I was able to lock my camera into any position I liked, quickly and swiftly so I could catch all the explosions.

Throughout 2013 I managed to stream pretty much all of the large scale fights, but now I no longer have the tools to do this. The latest patch has left me with no choice, but to stop streaming EVE. For those that stumble upon this page, I was dubbed as the only EVE warfare correspondent, acting completely neutral to all. Hit around 8.5K peak viewers in the prime fights. Not my fault I cannot continue and bring you all of those cinematic camera angles anymore.

And some follow up questions

Person 1 posted:

I'm sure you're more than capable to adapt to the changes. Your work this far has been impressive.

Mad Ani posted:

I logged in when I got my new internet and was totally shocked it had changed. I've looked and test and even petitioned to try and get a work-around... simply put from their response, there isn't a way. I was able to use keyboard shortcuts, use the mouse and lock the camera into any position I wanted - albeit tricky, but it worked... now it's totally gone.

Person 2 posted:

If u loved eve the way most of us do then u can find a way past this little obstacle. Besides.. think of us... your fans and regular viewers

Mad Ani posted:

I played EVE since January 2006... streamed/alarm clocked for all the fights during 2013... I think I've given quite a lot of dedication to this game and my fans/regulars. It actually made me ill last year from lack of sleep due to everyone pew pewing lol *edit not to forget the 60+ billion ISK I gave out as prizes to both subscribers and non-subscribers of the stream. Giving is all I did.

What are these devious changes he's referring to?

Well in 1.1 we had

http://community.eveonline.com/news/patch-notes/patch-notes-for-rubicon-1.1

quote:

UI & Camera

Tracking Camera

All options related to the tracking camera are accessible via a radial menu button on your HUD (the old "reset camera" button).
The HUD button lights up to indicate when the tracking camera is enabled and the icon indicates which mode the camera is in (tracking custom position, tracking center or normal camera).
The tracking speed of the tracking camera is independent of the client framerate.
The tracking camera defaults to off for new characters and fresh client installs.
The tracking camera speed was significantly increased.
The tracking camera plays nice with Look at.

and in 1.2 there were no changes. So you see, it's all those above changes that have made it completely impossible for Mad Ani to provide his war correspondence, the only one who does it by the way, any more. He thanks you all for the computer he got out of doing EVE streaming, but he'll be streaming more Battlefield 4 now.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 19, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

darth cookie posted:

Guess he doesn't need any more money for PC parts and his bid for a CCP job failed, so he's bowing out on a wave of excuses.

What a dickbag.

I updated the post with the actual changes that went in, from Rubicon 1.1 a few weeks ago and not, you know, 1.2 which just launched today.

Nevermind the whole "none of those changes affect anything in any significant way" fact.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm trying to figure out what camera angle tricks are needed to view a station undock from 500km away in a cloaked ship, and I'm not coming up with any.

Well to be fair, he has better credentials than mintchip.

None, which is why he's such a dipshit.

At least Mintchip got a job that you could argue matched a resume she submitted (the gig she has was posted on CCP's job board etc.) so there's that. Mad Ani was just saying "I stream, you need to pay me to stream now."

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khablam posted:

Haha.

There's still some mad Ani fans who can't see through that, it's precious. :allears:

He's barely streamed anything from his donated computer, and has had various excuses for months. The real reason is how hard he got shat on when he begged CCP for a job; he's barely, if at all, streamed eve since. Even on the weekend fights.

Does anyone even know what controls he is talking about? I just assumed he did it like everyone else, clicking and holding the right mouse button. At least it looked like that's what he was doing.

Camera controls, which had minimal changes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JohnSherman posted:

For the guys who have done the whole nomad thing, I have a few questions.

What exactly do you do apart from moving around?
How often do you lose your Orca?
What types of ships do you bring with you?

Are you talking about being in a POS only or using a station as your base of operations, with the Orca being your suitcase?

Regardless basically you find the fights/areas and ways to provoke a fight. For the corp I'm in we went and attacked CFC & RUS POS', which made them bring out more stuff. We also did camps where we shut down routes as best we could.

I can't recall when we lost any of our suitcases, mostly because we were super careful with them.

Mostly it was 1 or 2 of each doctrine ship and a bomber and sabre for good measure. PVP characters traveled in Interceptors which also were used. Jita runs were pretty regular using cyno alts and mids so anything not brought in initially were shipped in as needed.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 20, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JohnSherman posted:

Thanks for the info. Did you ever find yourself living in a POS for an extended period of time, or were you always staging in NPC stations?

Waffles use NPC stations so that's what I'm basing what I said off of. I'd assume living out of a POS would just be more of a strain logistics wise with not that many benefits to make it worth while.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phobophilia posted:

I don't get it :(

Waterboard

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If they can in fact be caught by other properly fit interceptors then what little problem there was is solved and y'all should stop whining about the single most fun class of ship in the game finally being good again.

I remembering fighting in J-5 or whatever that first big fight in the Fountain War was in an Interceptor and compared to now I'm happy I didn't give up on that ship class.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

S-Alpha posted:

But it's still the same "a bloo bloo bloo, this thing I like that's really good should stay really good" whining.

It's okay to admit that your favorite trick is powerful. Yes, you don't want to see it get nerfed, but the same poo poo that makes you get your jollies loving with dudes is the same poo poo that's infuriating to deal with on home defense fleets. I've been in Theta Homeland Defense fleets that just throw up their arms and say "gently caress it, we can't catch these guys, stand down", and that shouldn't be happening.

What ships are you using for home defense fleets? You know Interceptors can be caught by AssFrigs and Destroyers (the latter I'm not entirely positive on) right?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

I've still lost more VNIs to rats than to interceptors.

Angry Mustache has lost more VNIs to my troll comments in the TMC jabber than to hostiles :toot:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klyith posted:

This is what we used to do to other people. And we mocked them when they complained!

Right but it's totally different this time around, because Goons can't take being annoyed/harassed :colbert:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glory of Arioch posted:

This is very sad, but very true. Our collective response to the interceptor change hasn't been to move to ceptor-proof ratting fits that *gasp* might have lower isk/hr, it's been to lose the same ships in droves and whine about it. :smithcloud:

I'm just shocked people are that serious about ratting as opposed to the other ways to make ISK that's not as tedious/dull. Scamming is awesome in ISK income for me. Also the whole "it's bullshit you can AFK ina Slowcat but let me AF in my VNI/Ishtar" logic is weird but I'm not a ratter so maybe there's some difference I must be missing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

S-Alpha posted:

That's why I stopped ratting, since it was getting too soul draining, but the fact remains that for your average player, scamming is a pretty small pool of potential targets, and hooks are constantly out there. The last time I did scamming, not five minutes after a supercap sale thread was posted, the guy I contacted said he had five goons try to contact him and work something out. The same goes for recruitment scams, there's just more people trying to catch the whale than there are whales to catch.

Ratting, on the other hand, allows you to train combat skills, doesn't require much in the way of capital, and you can pretty much always get at least a little cash out of it. It's consistent, reliable money, and that means a lot, especially since you don't need to know the intricate details of stuff like markets or POS management to just shoot red crosses.

I disagree with there being more hunters than prey, there are always marks available. When I was GoonWaffe using GS_Scams alleviated the issue you talked about with the super cap seller as well.

I can see how ratting has perks to it, and I don't disagree, but my comment was more about how incredibly dull it was. Holding people ransom lowsec has the same mechanics (you training skills you need/will use vs POS management) and payouts can be higher. Plus its more fun. That's not saying ransoming people is the only way to make ISK but thats what I've made a lot of ISK off of lately in lowsec.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 20, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd like it if they allowed a one-time opportunity to rename any character you buy from someone else, but I guess it would be impossible to tell that apart from people just swapping their characters between their own accounts.

Well if the latter portion were to happen, and CCP charged for the name change as well, they'd be happy since they're making $20+ on each change (assuming the guy is moving characters between accounts etc.).

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duodecimal posted:

I resubbed and had to redraw my face. I have 1.6 million unallocated skill points out of almost 21 million, but think I'll make a new character just to figure out things from scratch.

The intro movie that played showed ground combat. No mention of that in the thread, is that a thing now?

Hangar has a Drake, crow, kitsune, 39 boxed griffins, and a handful of other ships in my hanger and a crapload of t1 gear.

Open my mailbox and see letters from NPCs telling me they moved to some other moon, which I guess I should care about. Then some killmails, last one from a battle on 13 May 2006 in ZXIC-7 when I was with the ISS Navy, in a blackbird, a couple months before they folded. Apparently I resubbed in 2008 and joined another corp but I have absolutely no memory of doing that. Back in an NPC corp now, though.

Oh, and we can ... move around now? That's not really a walk -- a sort of a slow mince, over into a lounge area.

Ground combat is DUST 514, CCP's attempt at a PS3 FPS game that has been very lackluster.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I forgot how much fun suicide ganking is. Got a 4.5bil Golem and his 800mil pod last night :toot:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mikey posted:

At no time, in no way, has CCP ever said this. What was said is that carriers should not be hard-countered by roughly equal numbers of subcapitals. The fighter nerfs alone indicate the exact opposite of what you just said.

Could you link to what CCP said specifically. I don't not believe, but I'd rather see the source.

mikey posted:

At no time, in no way, has CCP ever said this. What was said is that carriers should not be hard-countered by roughly equal numbers of subcapitals. The fighter nerfs alone indicate the exact opposite of what you just said.

Can you link to a direct quote on that? Not that I don't believe you but it'd be good to see the source.

evilweasel posted:

The guys that put in the huge amount of effort to build and maintain that coalition so they'd have 3000.

It's hard to take that as a balanced approach though. You're basically saying "I have more raw bodies to throw at it, therefore I should win all the time" (in just pure fights not accounting for the ~gameplay~ of managing all those people) which isn't balanced at all. There's no way to not get constantly dunked on as the smaller group because Group A outnumbers Group B 4:1 or even 2:1.

I do agree "superior tactics" etc. are needed by the smaller group to adapt. From what I can tell that was what Wrecking Ball did and was for. In the past war you had (in pure bodied numbers) roughly 52 thousand pilots across CFC/RUS/STAIN attacking approximately 22 thousand pilots. The mantra was that it was an unfair usage of a broken mechanic, which CCP have adapted but it's still a viable option. When the response from N3PL was "you have more numbers, commit them with supers" people said that wasn't possible or whatever and then when you did, you won. While the drone assist mechanic was deemed "unsuitable" by CCP after the fact, you can't deny that Manny used "superior tactics" with the available mechanics at hand when it was created and it served its purpose well and was still vulnerable to the ultimate "raw numbers" used by CFC/RUS/STAIN.

Wrecking Ball worked as a way for the smaller group, in pure size, to deal with the larger numbers they were potentially facing and they still lost. People calling the tactic used unbalanced is sort of silly when there are using a tactic that, at present, has no way to be counteracted in any feasible fashion with in-game mechanics (not accounting social dyanamics as I'm talking things like Drone Assist etc.). Overall it's not completely broken because CFC won't commit every single pilot under their banner etc. but to mock the concept that the "little guy" should be able to fight back against pure numbers is sort of dumb, at least in terms of gameplay balance which people seem to harp on in here.

smg77 posted:

EN24 has hit a new low...they are letting Snot Shot write columns. :cripes:

Nevermind TMC has Grath, myself, Ali Aras, Kimsemus of NC. and more non-GSF writers than actual GSF writers. Yep, total propaganda that only favors GSF.

Klyith posted:

N3PL was willing to fight but only so long as these conditions were met:
*they didn't need to recruit and make equal partners with the inferior low-skill masses from TEST, EMP, various minor southern alliances, and sundry former abandoned allies

Incorrect, PL does recruit. Look at Waffles, its the whole "you want to play with us? Come let us teach you our ways of the PeeVeePee" academy :colbert:

i do cocaine posted:

Retards in autism chariots, they never change.

It was great. He had 3 SE's

https://zkillboard.com/detail/36954122/

Edit - I'm almost convinced Gevlon Goblin is a troll persona of some Goon.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 21, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i do cocaine posted:

Shhhh.:ssh: Don't you see, it's all part of Goon scheming to take over the EVE universe and build an RMT throne for Mittani. Any other explanation would be complete bullshit. :colbert:

You do God's work.

I do think Mittani shouldn't be writing articles if he's leading a galactic empire, but it's his business so he has final say on what goes on with it.

surebet posted:

Quick question, with the shut down of Somer's bonus I'm not longer attached to a particular ETC retailer and I'm nearly due to plex up a couple accounts.

Is there any interesting deals out there at the moment, or failing that, which service/site should I encourage with my plex purchases?

EVE-Bet.com does GTC retailing but no bonuses due to the Somer Clause.

Vando posted:

Wrecking Ball requires supercap supremacy, as the counter is to drop dreads/supers until you can't escalate any further. If you can't win that escalation war, your carrier blob will get dunked on in short order. This is why post B-R you don't see Wrecking Ball fleets any more: the confidence of winning the escalation game is completely gone from the N3 side.

That and PL are only 50% of the way done reimbursing the finances for the losses they took with about a fifth of the Titans replaced.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Crown posted:

Had TEST survived the war, the situation would be very different - PLN3 would have also had a massive blob of line fighters. They obviously didn't, and instead those players went to the CFC side or fell under the leadership of a decidedly crappy government (EMP).

Or sulked off to Faction Warfare to line their pocket after the beating they took in Fountain and the string of JF thefts.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where are the main L4 mission hubs to suicide gank people near? I know Ichoriya seems to be pretty decent but what about down in Amarr or Gallente space?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 21, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MickeyFinn posted:

He isn't saying the CFC should "win all the time," that is hardly the case now anyhow (see the Fountain CSAAs for a recent example). He is saying that the CFC is making the best possible use of the resources it has to win fights.

Fair enough

MickeyFinn posted:

This is a lot of words to say that if you ignore the hard counter to large fleets (i.e. bringing your own large fleet) then there are few options to counter large fleets. There are game mechanics available right now to anyone who wants to use them, that can directly counter the CFC, that N3/PL/whoever refuse to use them does not make them any less real. They can engage in superior tactics, like bombing fleets on the way to fights, or they can recruit and get more ships in fleet. The ultimate weakness of the wrecking ball is that it relied on an temporary imbalance in super cap numbers between the sides. Which brings me to my original point.

"There are game mechanics available right now to anyone who wants to use them" was what people were bitching about N3/PL saying when dealing with Wrecking Ball, and most recently about Interceptors. I suppose its just EVE people not thinking things through then, unless you mean that it differently than the way I'm reading it.

MickeyFinn posted:

All of this "high sp characters should keep ahead of low sp players" gamesmanship is short sighted and relies on an ever increasing skill ceiling with more and more powerful ships, otherwise the numbers game will always catch up to smaller groups. In the long run, a single shard game without a fight participant limit will always end up going to numbers eventually. So we are back to what I said originally, if you want to maintain a smaller group of players, sooner or later you will need to either reduce your space holding (or drop sov entirely) or you will need to get the sov mechanics changed. All of the discussions about what should win fights are a side show.

I don't think just because you have a high SP character you should dunk on lower SP characters no matter what the ratio is, that's what I personally dislike about WoW or similar games. I was more so talking about the ability to have a fighting chance if you have fewer people, which you addressed well with the "other tactics" that could be employed. However, if CFC wanted to attack RANE, it'd take minimal effort due to the disparity in size and that, in some ways, seems rather silly. It lends itself to stuff like B0TLRD being created out of mutual protection and the supposed "blue donut" to become less a figment of Ripard Teg's imagination and more a reality. Personally I don't want Ripard to ever be right about anything. A change to sov mechanics would work and it was previously discussed that it appears CCP want a much more cramped nullsec than it currently is.

Glory of Arioch posted:

I love it when people start throwing around numbers like "FIFTY FIVE THOUSAND PILOTS" or "TWENTY-TWO THOUSAND PILOTS", like the total number of characters in one alliance is actually meaningful. Who the hell doesn't have more than one character in this game? I have 11 dudes that count towards one of those hyperbolic numbers myself, and I'm only one person.

You'll note I didn't say those were fielded, but given the size and resources comparatively N3/PL made due with what they had. That was the point I was trying to make.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 21, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

koreban posted:

I hear that went real well for PL.

It did, we have been havng 6v6 Titan battles all week.

that's a Titanfall joke

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klyith posted:

Ok since we're having the numbers vs power debate and FoF pulled the hyperbole card by escalating to dumb questions about whether 2 frigates should win vs 1 titan, I thought I'd bring it back to the reality of what kind of numbers we are talking about when complaining about "OP".

In the Wrecking Ball doctrine, which is the most extreme example of unsupported caps versus subcaps, each Healer Aeon can repair at minimum 5000 ehp per second on a tank Archon. That is a worst-case scenario where the archon pilot has IV skills and only T2 tank gear. If the Archon has carrier V and a modest 250m in deadspace hardeners, that can easily grow to 6000 ehp/s. But we'll be conservative with the 5k number.

So let's say the CFC decides to suicide a bunch of Baltec Megas into the Wrecking Ball, at close range with CN antimatter. They do 500 dps each, which is easily matched by the Archons using Gardes. So we'll say that 1 Archon = 1 Megathron, and each Aeon negates 10 Megas via rep power.

x Archons + y Aeons > x + 10y Battleships, so the WB side can fight outnumbered 11:1 and win with no losses.

This envelope math is why the CFC's best idea for a while was to bore the other side to death.

edit: tl,dr FoF is dumb.

To be fair to FoF, I also used the same comparison when discussing how there's not ~true balance to the force~ in the current scheme of things. Granted I'm not as adamant, but I'd like it to be as easy for smaller guys to deal with larger groups as it is for the larger groups to "just throw bodies" at the smaller guy. Though the argument for the whole "making and managing allies" is a valid one that solves it. PL are pretty much "we're happy doing our own thing" which is fine, but it's also proven to be an issue when dealing with this subject.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klyith posted:

I think PL's real problem is they want to have their cake and eat it too. They don't want allies because they like having the maximum opportunity to get in fights, but they also want to win all the time. That attitude was fine when they were being carefree nomads who dunked on random sov-havers all over eve, but the only way to keep it in their current state is pushing distorted game mechanics.

Which is why I'm pretty damned happy to be in Waffles. It's all the good parts of the game I enjoy minus the poo poo parts.

No sov grinding is great.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I know of a few people who have admitted to joining the CFC as spies, and then just quietly hung around because they found it so much better than the people they were spying for. Part of that can be outside community bonds, but I think a lot of it just comes down to the CFC being really, really good at including people and supporting them while they find their own way within the game. I know I wouldn't be playing if GoonWaffe wasn't so great at making me feel wanted and useful, and I have a hard time comprehending how any corporation can remain solvent without that kind of new player support.

PL/Waffles are pretty close knit community wise. In Waffles we'll get guys who try to act big and stuff and don't mesh well, they eventually either leave themselves or are cut. Of all the alliances in EVE, GSF and PL are the only ones who get the whole "keep the community together" aspect of managing things.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Otacon posted:

For someone completely new to the game with barely 500k SP, what would be the best skill to raise to V first? I understand it's probably not something that should be done right away, but what V-level skill would give the best benefit? Drones? Cap management? CPU?

Never not train Cyno V. It's an amazing skill to have and helps out in a lot of ways. That said also get Frig V on all racials and you can pretty much fly in any bomber, which is also worth training towards.

Anchoring V is good if you want to be able to drop bubbles, which I think grants T2 Large though I might be wrong on that one.

There's no single skill to train to V first, there are a fair number that are really useful.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ganking Hulks and Orca's on that CCP Mining Fleet was a ton of fun.

CCP's response -

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zalmun posted:

Great article on EVE nullsec history on TMC by James 315:

http://themittani.com/features/did-cfc-just-win-eve

A really good read with a 'realpolitik' take on nullsec politics and history.

Money quote:

:godwin:

Save for the lack of fact checking on his part at points, sure.

Red Crown posted:

I really don't get this whole "CFC fears PL FCs" thing. I feel like he pulled a lot of that article out of his rear end.

It's been around for a while, it's nothing new.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 23, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mynnna posted:

Yeah it's riddled with poor assumptions and factual errors, though the overall point isn't a bad one.

I like how Kugutsumen apparently created Pandemic Legion and not the true king of war, Shamis Orzoz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ice Fist posted:

The only thing I thought was garbage from reading his analysis was the 'RUS FCs gave encouragement to CFC to drop on PL/N3 supercaps.' The story I heard is that Laz had a pair of steel balls and said 'gently caress it' and dropped everything he had. It never sounded like he had an angry Russian in his ear telling him to drop.

Laz was also goaded constantly on OG Mumble when playing BF4 with us. I would like to take credit for that :colbert:

• Locked thread