Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So yeah I signed up for the seven-day trial and it's nice when

1) The stream works

2) I'm not navigating their horrible menu system to try to find the PPV I want.

The live programming stream seems to work fine. A lot of the time PPVs don't load up or clearly have bandwidth problems where it starts stopping and skipping ahead at random, making matches unwatchable.

As an aside, I should not have skipped from Backlash 2004 to Rumble 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

njsykora posted:

Maybe it's the PS3 interface being different but I'm not getting the complaints about the menu being bad. Pick promotion > Pick PPV > Pick year seems like a pretty solid way of finding PPVs.

Incidentally Royal Rumble 2013 is on today. Twice. In a row.

I still want to watch Cyber Sunday.

I ought to go look up the RR '13 thread. It's rare for a show to be that top-to-bottom bad. The top highlight of the entire show was Kane holding Bryan like a baby. That was the big takeaway.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The WWE network really exposes the crater in quality that many aspects of the product have taken. They have a bunch of guys there now who know their wrestling ABCs and can do a textbook wristlock, but almost nobody who appears to have any interest in/is allowed to do psychology, or especially brawling that doesn't look like choreographed, by-the-numbers poo poo. They have yet to find anybody for commentary since J.R. who can sell a match at all, really, though I suspect JBL could if Vince weren't barking in his ear. That and they find ways to constantly take focus away from the match and put it on their barely coherent banter.

That is what I am getting from going through 2013 PPV by PPV, anyway. From reading a lot of thread aftermath I feel like I am not going to see many good shows and might want to go to a year that didn't suck.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Wrestlemania, we give you: a one-match card!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

People called Batista "Kanye", South Park made a joke about Kanye being a "GayFish". Kanye Batista = Gay Fish is the joke.

This is a stupid in-joke even by wrestling standards

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MotU posted:

30 days

They don't even have anything from February up yet, which sucks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rock/Cena was such a boring series. Just bog-standard everything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

Their first match was pretty good, was surprised when Rock won it (and drat did he prove he still had it with promo/ring skills) and we haven't seen a literal year-long build since probably Sting/Hogan '97.

The rematch is what soured the whole thing with "Once in a Lifetime" being a total lie and WWE just plain-as-day having Cena regain his win and for the title no less.

They didn't put any work into making it anything but "both of us work a phony 1985 Hulk Hogan match." There's not a single creative spot in this entire match and a couple of dumb ones (a loving bearhug--let Brock Lesnar do a bearhug and maybe put a different move on a guy who is bigger than you.).

The crowd is totally into it, which is good, but in terms of workrate it's just dull. Part of it is that they're just working the same. Exact. Style.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

By the way, the NK show is really bad almost top to bottom, though there is a Japanese women's match that IIRC is the highlight of the show.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

I always liked the part of the nWo formation where some fat mark (who probably thinks wrestling is real) jumps the barricade, gets into the ring and realizes how big Nash was and freezes. Then Nash/Hall knock the fan down, stomp on him for a bit until security arrives while Hogan is still doing his promo.

I think this is the one where someone pointed out that Hall is doing worked stomps on the guy (creating noise with his other foot while legit stomping him), which is great.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vintimus Prime posted:

You get that vibe during the rivalries documentary with Brett. Some of the stuff he doesn't even remember

Well according to Bret, Shawn was zoned the gently caress out on pills half the time, so that would make sense.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WWE.com was so lovely for so long. It's still kinda bad but not horrible anymore.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I watched Summerslam '92 on the network the other day because it has Bret's favorite all-time match of his career on it and some of the card looked interesting.

The match is light years ahead of everything else on the card, which is good, because the card sucks poo poo. At the same time, though, today that match would be well-recognized as a complete carry job. I would still put it at about 9-10 years ahead of the rest of the WWF, though.

The second best match, by a pretty wide margin, is the Ultimate Warrior/Savage match, which is overbooked with Ric Flair and Mr. Perfect trolling everyone and ends in bullshit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The American Dream posted:

Bulldog was allegedly on crack during the match. I don't remember if it was in Brets book or I read it somewhere else.

Yeah Bret said he was completely tweaked and Bret was worried all night that Bulldog would ruin the match somehow.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

How did this company stay in business for another year and a half?

IIRC Piper has never had a boxing match in wrestling that wasn't terrible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I caught the Punk/Lesnar match yesterday on the live feed, and even though I saw it once and already knew the result, the match was still amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

I have no problem with Arquette winning the title either, honestly

This was pretty much the worst title switch in the history of wrestling but OK.

• Locked thread