Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know if it's collected in a trade, but I really liked the first arc of Superman in One Year Later. Oh yeah, It's A Bird is heart rending, it doesn't star Superman, but it's definitely about him. Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics for the New 52 is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

teraflame posted:

I'm interested in reading about Galactus. What are the best written comics that feature him prominently? I haven't read any superhero stuff outside of some batman/superman.

Definitely Fantastic Four 48-51, but also Silver Surfer: Parable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

goodness posted:

I'm jumping back into reading comics after a couple year break. And even back then never read much. I am catching up on TWD and Invincible now, but those are the only 2 I have ever read most of the series.

I like supernatural, horror, scifi,marvel stuff mainly if that helps for some recommendations?

Hellblazer, especially the Ennis stuff. You'll get varying opinions on every other writer, but I don't think I've ever heard a negative word about Ennis' Hellblazer. You don't need much context for it either, he's a lying rat bastard magician and his friends almost always die helping him and some hosed up poo poo happened in New Castle that haunts him to this day. Ennis was my first Hellblazer comic (trade really) and my only other experience was his brief cameo in Sandman (from the first arc, when they were trying to make Sandman fit into the then current DC continuity).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not true. The only bad one is Denise Mina

I'm the one rear end in a top hat who likes the Mina run too. That's why I was super conservative in my recommendation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did one of them do the story where the antichrist was going to be born out of some dude's rear end in a top hat to mock the birth of Christ? That one was terrible.

There was another one I thought was bad as well, when he was going to a gay sex club or something, I think that was Azzarello.

The gay sex club one was awesome. It was the culmination of Azzarello's arc and Constantine beat his antagonist by letting him kill Constantine. And Constantine shows up a week later in England with a beard and no explanation to start Mike Carey's run which is another top tier run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure Alice is on of the three main girls in Lost Girls.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

What should I read to be prepared for Final Crisis? I've looked all over the internet and have gotten tons of different answers, some even saying I should read Infinite Crisis first. BSS hasn't steered me wrong before, so what are your recommended reading lists?

Just read Final Crisis. If you get too confused stop and ask question here or on google.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cael posted:

I got my wife a Marvel Unlimited subscription before Christmas and I'm trying to think of series to give her to read (that's specifically there on Unlimited). She's already gone through

Inhumans
Ms. Marvel
Captain Marvel
Hawkeye

and just started the original Young Avengers. Looking for series kind of along those lines that are well received & written but also have a slight lighthearted bent to them. Based on the thread and my own reading, I came up with:

Immortal Iron Fist (not necessarily fun-filled but it's another Fraction/Aja)
Fantastic Four (Waid & Hickman)
Wolverine & X-Men
Nextwave
Marvel Team Up
Young Avengers (Gillen)

Anything I'm missing that'd fit well in that list?

Gillen's Journey into Mystery is basically required reading before his Young Avengers, and if she digs both those, Loki: Agent of Asgard

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What's a good Teen Titans run? Especially one that was at least partially targetted at actual teenagers like Runaways or the current Ms. Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Pretty harsh statement on Wood there. Sounds like he just made an unsuccessful pass at a woman at a Convention and she freaked out about it. He apologized and she accepted his apology. No reason to slander the guy.

He sexually harassed a woman while his wife was at home either pregnant or with an infant. I mean I'm a fan of Roman Polansky and Woody Allen films, so I'm not going say you shouldn't read Brian Wood, but he's a bit of a dirt bag (I liked Northlanders).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I googled Brian Wood and read the Wikipedia page on it. His victim accepted the apology and even went as far to say that it should not affect his career in any way. I wouldn't even call myself a huge fan of him, just enjoying his Moon Knight run so far. Seemed an odd caveat to throw in when recommending a work.

No one said you aren't allowed to enjoy his work, we were just surprised you'd get so offended at someone mentioning a known dickhole was a dickhole.

Jesus, between this and the guy convinced calling Miles Morales "boy" has no racist subtext I'm starting to wonder about this subforum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

If you're hoping for some kind of peak Kirby grandiosity and crazy cosmic dots all over the place, FF is gonna disappoint you.
The second Dr. Doom story it becomes canon that The Thing is Blackbeard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I think you mean first Doom story :doom:

Huh, for some reason I thought there was one before that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cyphoderus posted:

I wanted a recommendation on action-y team superhero comics. Things in the genre I've read and enjoyed a lot:
Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men
Grant Morrison's Justice League
Warren Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority
I've been catching up with Avengers by Jonathan Hickman (just finished Infinity) but not liking the bad pacing and poor character work; I find it reads like a movie trailer of itself. Maybe New Avengers is better about this?
I've also got Morrison's X-Men lined up for reading.

What are some other good comics that also happen to be about action and superhero teams? Is there any Avengers (and affiliated titles) run/storyline that's considered really good?

New Avengers Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis. Since there's been a bunch of comics called New Avengers the one you want starts with a prison break on a super-villan prison called the raft.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So I'm looking for something fairly specific, and that's a series that ends at a logical point. I've read a bunch of series like this: Preacher, Y:the Last man, Deus Ex Machina, Starman, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, Scott Pilgrim,Sandman, Hitman, Planetary, the Invisibles. Couple caveats: I will not read Cerebus. And I'd rather avoid series that were cancelled despite being good reads (i.e. Aztek, which I've heard nice things about).

Also, is Grant morrison's Doom Patrol more accessible than the Invisibles?

X-Men Legacy by Si Spurrier is only 24 issues, and wraps up all its plot threads nicely. Matt Fraction's Defenders does the same in 18 issues. I think both were meant to go on longer, but neither feels super rushed, and it's pretty obvious that the endings we got were going to be the eventual endings of the series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So I finished the Fraction / Brubacker run on Immortal Iron Fist. How does the follow-up stuff compare?

The most recent Iron Fist series didn't seem to pay much attention to it, but it has really pretty art. I only read the first 2 issues though. The Fraction stuff with the other Immortal Weapons was great, and Iron Fist is in Fraction's Defenders, which I love, but he's not a major character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jacquismo posted:

I've also been looking at Death: The High Cost of Living and Lucifer, but I never read Sandman. Would I still be able to get into those without the additional backstory?

You don't need to read Sandman first to enjoy Lucifer, they aren't really connected much, but I would recommend reading the 4th Sandman trade, Season of Mists, since it sets up the status quo for Lucifer, and it's probably my favorite Sandman story. It works fie as a standalone, so don't feel you have to read the first 3 Sandman trades first.

You probably would like Sandman, so I recommend also giving that one a chance, but it's not really necessary to read it before the Death miniseries. Fair warning, when Neil Gaiman started writing it, Vertigo comics didn't exist, so it technically is part of the greater DC universe at the beginning. There's no crossovers or anything, but I think Batman pops up for a panel or two, it very quickly ignores anything tied into the rest of DC though.

If you like Rucka, and well written female characters, you might check out his series Queen and Country, it's about British Intelligence, and the main character is a pretty kick-rear end lady spy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CowboyAndy posted:

Hey everyone, what are some good Superman Graphic Novels out there? I've really enjoyed Superman books like All Star Superman and Super Man: Secret Identity.

Birthright
It's a Bird.. (this one is about a comic author being asked to write a Superman comic, but it's really, really good)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Was Apocalypse versus Dracula any good? It's such a great title for I comic that I want it to be good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

redbackground posted:

I don't really know what makes a WW comic more feminist than another one, but maaaaaybe check out the 3 volumes of Diana Prince: Wonder Woman, that collects the time in the 70s when she was wearing a white spy suit all the time and totally went against the grain as to what you might think a WW comic would be like. The earlier part of the Messner-Loebs run has her renting a basement apartment and working at Not-Taco-Bell, and are fantastic. She should also probably read The Hiketeia, as that's pretty top-tier WW no matter where you're coming from.

That Diana Prince: Wonder Woman was so bad and absoluteley not what then contemporary feminists were looking for in comics that Gloria Steinum wrote about it in Ms. Magazine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fadam posted:

Crecy might just be my favorite stand alone comic ever. I love the biased narrator and the even balance between the broader strokes of the battle and the minutiae of being a British long bowman. Any recommendations for comics in a similar vein?

From Hell would be a solid recommendation.

RACHET posted:

Just finished Preacher, Crossed Volume 1 (Heard the ones after were pretty bad), and Batman: Death of the Family. Just got the Alan Moore and Frank Miller Batman graphic novels as well. I'm thinking about picking up From Hell too. Anyone have any recommendations in addition to what I have already on my list? Are the other Batman New 52 volumes worth picking up? I've heard good stuff about The Boys as well.

You'd probably dig Crecy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Where do I start for weird rear end Jim Starlin cosmic stuff? Warlock? I have Marvel Unlimited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's some Harley Quinn stuff that's fun and silly, and not killing lots of kids with exploding gameboys? Something for someone who likes Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl.

Girlfriend's seen some stuff she liked (I think from Injustice?) and it piqued her interest in the character.

Didn't Bruce Timm write a Harley series? That probably fits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

You mentioned Injustice? You should get the Injustice comic. It's unironically the best Harley has been written in years.

It is also bad. I mean if you like really poorly written Deadpool then by all means buy it but please don't.

There's got to be a little irony in the best Harley comic being the book where Superman is the villain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

God, don't even bother. The comics have almost never gotten the character right. There's a few stories in Batman/Gotham Adventures, and there's that one recent short story where she and Ivy help a kidnap victim, but for the most part the character is criminally mishandled. Way too much violence, sadism, and creepy sex stuff.

Yeah, the OP is probably best off looking up the voice actress in B:TAS and then just watching episodes she's credited in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

At some point we just need to develop a "Here's what you read on MU" list.

I was reading the Korvac Saga and I was surprised at how dickish everyone was to each other. Cap all "You loving suck at leading the Avengers Iron Man, you're a piece of poo poo."

My favorite part of Lee/Kirby FF is how they fight with each other constantly, they're just massive cocks to each other all the god damned time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HogX posted:

What's a good thor series to read on MU? I think I read part of the one with Gorr, don't remember what that was called.

Simonson's run is gold loving standard, I think it starts with issue 337 of what MU calls "Thor: 1966-1996" Beta Ray Bill is on the cover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I have a list of stuff in the 2nd post (which could probably do with an update), but I don't know what of it is on Marvel Unlimited as I don't have a subscription. You can browse it without a subscription, right?

Aside from stuff that isn't at least 6 months old I'm pretty sure most everything in your post is on Marvel Unlimited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HogX posted:

where's a good place to start reading about Black Bolt?

Whenever he shows up in Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four back in the 60's (wikipedia would help you out there). The Jenkins Inhumans mini, Most stuff illuminati, and to be honest I kinda liked War of Kings. He also shows up eventully in Hickman's Fantastic 4, but you should that from the start.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

spectres of autism posted:

are there any really sweet moon knight runs

If you can dig 80's comics the original run by Moench/Sienkiewicz was pretty boss, the short lived Huston/Finch run from 2006 is also supposed to be pretty boss, but I haven't read it yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HogX posted:

okay wait which FF series was it where johnny died/came back?

edit: because I'm reading Amazing Spiderman and I need to read about this story arc.

Hickman's Fantastic Four, starts at 570, ends around #588 or something when Johnny dies, that's when FF (Future Foundation) starts, then Johnny comes back in Fantastic Four #600 (the numbering is pretty confusing, if you want to read the whole series look up the reading order) if all you care about is Spider-Man, definitely read the FF issues because he joins the team then. Also the issue immediately after Johnny's death has a great Spidey/Franklin story as they bond over dead uncles.

Edit: if all you want is the arc where Johnny dies it probably starts around 582-584.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 27, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

I read Economix this week and I'd never thought of a comic book as educational media. It was a really good way to explain a complicated and dry topic. I was kind of blindly searching for similar stuff, and most non-fiction comics are biographical, which I'm not as interested in. Anyone know of similar non-fiction comics, where it's focusing on history or a topic and not just one person?

This was pretty good, if obviously super depressing

http://www.amazon.com/11-Report-Gra...on+report+comic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jedi posted:

There's plenty of EMS patches/shirts that have the Punisher skull superimposed over the Star of Life. There's not a :wtf: big enough for that one.

Waltz with Bashir sort of fits this. It's about an Israeli soldier's experiences during the 1982 Lebanon war. It is about one person, but much like Maus, it uses that one person's experience to frame an event.

That was a comic? I've only seen the movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jedi posted:

It was a graphic novel released in 2009. It appears Amazon only has it via 3rd party sellers though. I sort of remember hearing that it was getting turned into a movie. I'll have to check it out.

The movie was loving brilliant, I highly recommend it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What's the best Star Wars that's on Marvel Unlimited?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Please tell me you're reading all the current series. Especially Lando and Vader.

Fake Edit: Spell check knew Vader, but not Lando, this has been rectified.

I just read Darth Vader 1, which is why I asked. I already buy enough new comics and I figure anything labeled Star Wars isn't in danger of being prematurely canceled so there's no rush to vote with my pocketbook to save it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sm9ck posted:

I got to borrow some volumes of Sandman and Preacher from a friend of mine and was instantly sold on this entertainment medium. I'm going into town tomorrow to try and find some of what my friend consider the essentials, being:

Sin City
Watchmen
Preacher
Sandman
Black Hole

I'm wondering if you think he left something out? I'm not in to superheroes that much, except for the ones that offer a lot of comedic relief, but if you think there's any novels/comics I should give a shot then please do recommend.

Out of the two I like Sandman for its fabulous art style and well executed psychological terror but I do prefer the grittier story telling in Preacher.

If you like Preacher I highly recommend Ennis' run on Hellblazer, the first trade is called Dangerous Habits and the only background you need is that Constantine has demon blood in his veins,and that only comes up once.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sm9ck posted:

I've heard good things about Bone before, from my older brother nonetheless, weird that I didn't think of it! I'll check that out, I'm not as unintroduced to comics that I do not believe that you can tell a good story through them. Hell, I binged on visual novels a year back or so when the weebs hit me hard. Swamp Thing and Miracleman both look like things I would enjoy very much. Nextwave looks like it could be worth to check out as well.

As for themes I really enjoy either post-apoc/dystopian settings or really trippy and abnormal ones. Most of anything is fine though, as long as it is not too toooooo cutesy and sweet.

The first two volumes of Casanova by Matt Fraction aren't post apocalyptic, but they're weird enough it'd probably fit the vibe you're looking for. And, because you mentioned Ennis I'll keep hitting that vein, his Crossed ate some of the most hosed up comics I've ever read, it's basically a zombie story except they're just sadists, not undead, but it's an infectious disease.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Norns posted:

You know what superhero soundtrack was amazing?

Prince's Batman album.

For a thoroughly mediocre film, the Batman Forever soundtrack was loving aces too, assuming you dig that mid-late 90's soft rock stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Washout posted:

Anita Blake is pretty much just true blood in book form.

True Blood is based on a book.