Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cyphoderus posted:

I wanted a recommendation on action-y team superhero comics. Things in the genre I've read and enjoyed a lot:
Grant Morrison's Justice League
I've also got Morrison's X-Men lined up for reading.

What are some other good comics that also happen to be about action and superhero teams? Is there any Avengers (and affiliated titles) run/storyline that's considered really good?

Seven Soldiers of Victory. Also Wheadon's XMen run but you'll want to read Morrison's first.

Remender's X Force run is also great but if you're that far behind you'll want to read some other X Books first. Also would recommend Hickman's FF run, as parts of it lead into what's happening with Avengers (also it's great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Baby Babbeh posted:

I got a Scribd subscription recently, and it's got comics on it and I'm enjoying the fact that I can read comics on a tablet while sitting on the toilet like a goddamn king. Is there anything on Scribd I should check out? I haven't really kept up with comics since I was a teenager, so you can safely assume I haven't read most things, but I'm also less interested in mainstream superhero stuff than I used to be. I like film noir, good art, dialog that isn't too on-the-nose, and supernatural elements, if that helps.

Going to once again suggest Hickman's FF run

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TwoPair posted:

He wants to read things on the toilet. Poor bastard's gonna get leg cramps if you saddle him with something that long.

I'm going to suggest he takes breaks in between readings but far be it for me to tell a man how to live his life.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Earth X is cool and has some interesting ideas but Paradise and Universe get bit wonky.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you like the idea of Nightcrawler is Belasco? Colossus is Mr. Sinister?

Aren't those from the sequels? Those would be the wonky bits I referred to

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aaron picks up Ennis' run. It's good, but very different. Ennis' stuff is very well self contained

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm enjoying Morrison's New X-Men run on Marvel Unlimited, but I've heard that most of the non-Morrison X-comics in the early 2000s are aggressively terrible while the modern X-comics are generally pretty good. At what point in the series' history does it become reasonable to start reading everything, rather than looking for individual Internet-recommended diamonds floating in a lake of Chuck Austen?

Go from Morrison to Wheadon's Ashtonishing and then jump to the Marvel Now stuff.

Well, read House of M too I guess

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

James Woods Fan posted:

Any recommendations for Ghost Rider and Blade?

Aaron's Ghost Rider

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

trashbuilder posted:

I liked Ultimate Maker Reed in Secret Wars and was wondering if Ult FF is any good? Is there more Ult rear end in a top hat "The Ends Justify The Means" Reed? Should I read the whole thing or just when Ult Reed gets evil?

Ult FF is pretty great throughout, the only real downside to it is a big chunk of Greg Land art. For Maker Reed you'll also want Ultimate Power, Ultimate Comics: Doomsday (which includes Ultimate Enemy, Ultimate Mystery and Ultimate Doom), and then Hickman's Ultimates Run

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

trashbuilder posted:

Great Ult FF will be my new big long thing to read. Quick Q tho, how unbearable is greg land? does he do a lot of issues. I don;t like Greg Land. I find his art...unnecessary

It's some of his better work, at least. Like I don't want to call it good or anything but without spoiling it there's some alterations to the art that look ok. The story is good enough you can shake it off, anyways

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What're some good Apocalypse stories to read, besides Age of Apocalypse?

Remender's X-Force, technically

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alris posted:

I've been playing Arkham Knight recently and realized I have never read a Batman comic. What's a good trade paperback from the last 10-ish years to get that corrected?

Grant Morrison's run

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just read up until they deal with The Adversary, it's good up to that point

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor posted:

Sixth Gun. It's like Hellboy in the Old West.

Is it over now? I started reading it and it was cool but I prefer to wait and read the whole thing in one go

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Annihilatiors isn't as great as it should be but it's the next part of the cosmic stuff

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We3 is absolutely his most accessible, otherwise either his X-Men run or All Star Superman, but even Superman took me a couple reads to really get into

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MAX kind of picks up from Welcome Back, Frank, but little else applies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

I've just got done reading Hickman and Weaver's S.H.I.E.L.D. and it is amazing. I was unhappy with it not actually ending, but I guess both issues come out in September. Is there anything else that goes with this universe he created?

Not really, but Secret Warriors probably ties in closest.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

I read Economix this week and I'd never thought of a comic book as educational media. It was a really good way to explain a complicated and dry topic. I was kind of blindly searching for similar stuff, and most non-fiction comics are biographical, which I'm not as interested in. Anyone know of similar non-fiction comics, where it's focusing on history or a topic and not just one person?

Oh hey, Maus

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

I just read both of the more recent Carnage miniseries by Zeb Wells and Clayton Crain. Enjoyed them both and was wondering if there is any past stuff with Carnage (besides maximum and were he is torn in half) that is good. I see there is an arc in Scarlet Spider and Venom. I plan on reading those series both interest me.

Another question as an aside. Has Clayton Crain ever had his work actually colored in anything besides black and red? I kinda dig the way it looks, but it is colored dark and muted all the time making it hard to discern details at times (looking at you Ghost Rider mini).

Superior Carnage was OK, as was Minimum Carnage (the Venom/Scarlet Spider one). Not as good as the Wells stuff though

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

That is too bad. Since we are kinda on Spider-Man stuff where is a good jump on point? BND? Superior?

I haven't read Spider-Man proper for a while but Remender's Venom is good and Scarlet Spider is as well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals. I'm adding them to my reading list. Is Superior Carnage the thing where he turns good?

No, that's Axis

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pretty much all of it is from the 80s or earlier, too. That's like complaining about a History of English Literature class being made up mostly of white dudes

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This thread is a flat circle

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What's good as far as Ghostbusters comics go?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

current IDW series.

Yeah, the Get Real thing is what got me looking

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Franchescanado posted:

Everyone talks about how great Cyclops is, but he's only been a jerk in the runs I've read. What are some good story arcs that show off why people like him? I have Marvel Unlimited, and I haven't read much of the X-Men.

Whedon's Astonishing is probably him at his best

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

How is Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham?

Batman+Lovecraft+Mignola.

That's how good it is

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They're both amazing. Marvels in particular is one of my favorites

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Washout posted:

I personally don't know of any comics that follow the implications of superpowers like that to the end of their logical conclusions. Does anything like this actually exist? Something like hard science fiction that actually explores the limits of a technology to it's full ability except in comic form?

The Boys was pretty good about exploring what would happen to real people that were granted these powers from a corruption standpoint, albeit in very standard comic book fashion, and authority explored global implications. But I've not seen something that followed the implications of the power itself to it's end, well maybe Watchmen and All-Star Superman.

Rising Stars sort of does

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thirding that. You COULD do Ewing's run without reading JIM, but JIM is fantastic. Also all of it and the Ewing run are on Unlimited

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wengy posted:

Just visited Rome and am on a bit of an ancient Rome trip. Are there any comics worth reading set in the Empire or the Republic?

Pax Romana, kind of

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I really liked Earth 2, but I stopped reading after Robinson left so I don't know if it ends as well as it started

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

Garth Ennis's Punisher MAX run. Yea or Ney?

Very yea.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Toxxupation posted:

Does anyone have an Ultimate Spider-Man reading list?

It's less complicated than it seems

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-53
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man 54-133
Spider-Man: Requiem
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man 1-15 (Post ultimatum relaunch)
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160 (just goes back to original numbering)

There's no much tie in or anything like that. Ultimatum technically but don't read Ultimatum. Some of Ultimate Team Up bleeds into the main book, but it's almost mostly non-canon so it's not essential.

Miles takes over after that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Toxxupation posted:

What do I read if I want to fold Miles Morales' stuff in there as well?

Miles takes over after Peter so it's a pretty smooth transition from one to the other. This is a pretty good list

It's only complicated by the fact that he's in 2 different books near the end that kind of weave in and out of each other

Technically Ultimate Fallout comes in between the two main runs but it covers the whole Ultimate Universe so it's only got a couple Spider-specific pages

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

X-O posted:

That has a lot of unnecessary stuff in it. Like any of Marvel Team-Up. Also do not read Ultimatum or Ultimate Origins or any sidebooks really. I mean there's good stuff, but none necessary.

The first section is all over the place but the Miles section is good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

X-O posted:

Uh, Miles isn't in any of those.

Are you talking about the link I posted? Because it goes right to the "Miles Morales Section"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I read everything about a month ago and honestly it's all pretty good. There's some really good stuff, and then some stuff that is just ok. It's pretty much all 4-5 issues tops so they tend to be quick reads.
The only one that I'd say really wasn't good was, sadly, Ultimate End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

War of Kings sucks, but it leads directly into Realm of Kings and Thanos Imperative which are both amazing so it evens out