Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

I think all of this has been collected in trades, but they might be out of print or hard to find these days. I gave specifics if you go digital, and if they're available.

There are five Excalibur Classic trades which collect the entire Claremont run but some of them (especially the second one, I think) can be hard to get hold of. The Davis and Ellis runs both have three Excalibur Visionaries trades each, but the first Davis one and all three Ellis collections seem to be either out of print or on the way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought it was okay, but I think it was at the point where Claremont was starting to slip (if he hadn't already). Probably not essential, I guess. Alan Davis coming back on the book definitely helped to reinvigorate it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is Geoff Johns's Superman stuff with Gary Frank?

I'm asking mostly because I like Gary Frank. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
James Robinson's Starman question: I'm really interested in reading this series the whole way through since it's so highly recommended (I liked Robinson's short JSA run and I've read a few assorted issues of Starman, but it's my understanding it's much better when you read the whole thing from start to finish), but the first few omnibus editions are tough to get in hardcover (especially the third one). Can anybody tell me if the TPBs are worth looking into as an alternative? I've heard they leave out a few issues across the run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Paul Cornell "Black Ring" run on Action Comics worth checking out?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks! I'm only familiar with Cornell from his Doctor Who work, which I enjoy; I haven't read any of his comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing as I just got paid the other day, I was thinking about getting the new Roger Stern Spider-Man omnibus, but I was also considering getting the two West Coast Avengers omniboo (since I've seen one of them really cheap).

Which would be the better choice? I like Stern's Avengers but I've not read a great deal of what Englehart's done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I might give Spider-Man by Stern a go, then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

Stan Lee X-Men is pretty skippable, sadly. Hell, starting at #67, it just fell into reprints because nobody gave a poo poo about it until Giant Size #1.

Remarkably enough, if you look at the letters pages reprinted in the first Uncanny omnibus, they received more than a few rather cross missives from readers who complained that they'd patiently waited five or six years for new X-Men and were now horrified that it was no longer about the adventures of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast and Angel.

The most memorable was one which said something like, "Storm and Colossus should just get married and clear off to Africa or Russia or something!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can probably trace the "Batman is ultra-paraonoid and has strategies to defeat all his friends" trend that's still popular to Waid's subsequent "Tower of Babel" story arc (it's much older than that but I think Waid's story was what solidified it).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saki posted:

Also, the X-Men comics seem pretty good but honestly the sheer number of them is a bit intimidating. Are there any particularly good runs to start off at?

The original Chris Claremont run with Dave Cockrum and John Byrne handling the art is probably the "definitive" version even if it might come off as being a bit dated. New X-Men by Grant Morrison is pretty good as well. I personally enjoyed Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, though I'm not sure if it might rely too much on what Morrison did in his series.

There's "deep cuts" obviosuly, but if you're just beginning with the X-Men those are probably the "greatest hits".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

No the Smiler looks a lot like Romney and they have the same policies.

I think he was based on Tony Blair.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sporklift posted:

The Usagi books are going out of print to make room for the new omnibus format. Maybe you were thinkin' of those.

Are Dark Horse producing omnibus editions of the Usagi books they've published? I think Fantagraphics have done so for the stuff they've got the right to (but I'm not sure), but I've been put off going further than the end of the Fantagraphics run because so many of the DH trades seem to be pretty hard to find for a reasonable price.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

I am almost positive that it was very quickly revealed that Corsair was Cyclops dad, but it was 154 when cyclops found out. The first Starjammer storyline is pretty good and helps set up the next couple of years of plots.

Yeah, in his first appearance Jean learns who he is pretty much straight away, but agrees not to tell anyone else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Also if anyone could recommend some gritty realistic Superhero books that'd be great.

Identity Crisis. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Spider-Man or X-Men would be cool, I have plenty of Avengers stuff. Really anything from DC works too since the only thing from there I've read in a long time was Johns' Green Lantern up to around Brightest Day.

Looking over at my own shelf, I'd recommend Roger Stern's run on Spider-Man (he was on Spectacular first, then switched over to Amazing), John Byrne's run on Fantastic Four (it's great, even if Byrne is an unimaginable prat), Peter David's run on the Hulk, and Geoff Johns's run on JSA (Johns runs hot and cold for me, but JSA is one of my favourite things ever).

Unfortunately I'm not really into digital and I'm really bad with issue numbers so I'm afraid I can't tell you much about where to start and stop. Sorry.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm keen on getting into the Pérez run in the future. I imagine most of it is available digitally, though I like collected editions best; there don't seem to be very many but I am hopeful that if Wonder Woman starts showing up in movies DC will get the finger out.

Hahahaha, I'm only messing, there's less chance of that than DC announcing the "Legion of Super-Heroes by Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen Omnibus".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I own all the Aliens omniboo, and they're mostly pretty drat good for licensed comics. Last year I wrote a series of posts summarizing the first couple of volumes that act as a continuation of Aliens, but were written before Alien 3 killed off Hicks and Newt. Check it out if you're interested, those stories are pretty fun (you might need archives).

I was asking in another thread, might as well ask here as well - how are the DH omnibus books, quality-wise? I've been thinking about rebuilding some of my old Star Wars collection at some point in the future and the omniboo look like the way to go, both price- and content-wise. Only thing is, I've heard stuff about the books themselves not always being great quality.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I replied to you in that same thread! :)

Oh, gosh, that's prety embarrassing. I forgot to check back in that one. :shobon: Thanks very much!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wouldn't start the DC 1Milli Omnibus before doing JLA. It kicks off from somewhere in that run.

It's the epilogue to "Rock of Ages" - I believe Hourman returns to the 853rd century with the Worlogog to meet metron and that future's Superman, who only appears in shadow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's strange. I'm absolutely certain the pages in question were in the back of a JLA TPB I used to have.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Opopanax posted:

The one page where the Avengers show up is still my favorite description of Cap

Is that the bit where Cap decries wealth inequality in America, or am I thinking of something different? If so, I wonder what Miller thinks of it now?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Byrne run a lot, but I think the Simonson one might be slightly better despite being a fraction of the length.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there stuff worth reading where Thing just stomps the poo poo out of earthbound mooks and/or is just more centered around his personality and not the other members of the FF?

The entire run of Marvel Two-in-One was the Thing teaming up with another superhero every month.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just seen the Valiant Humble Bundle - I don't normally go in for digital but the sheer amount of stuff that's on offer here makes it pretty tempting, and some of the money would go towards charitable causes.

Thing is, I've never really read any Valiant, so what's their stuff like in general?

(I tend to enjoy straightforward superhero stuff the most.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like it might be fun to try; I might give it a go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bazanga posted:

I've been reading about the marvel celestials on wikipedia and am sorta wanting to pick up a few good arcs with them in it. Any suggestions? The only major arc I could really find was The Infinity Gauntlet. Maybe some Doctor Strange arcs?

Fantastic Four #337-341 (written and drawn by Walter Simonson) isn't primarily a Celestials story, but they figure in it. It's a cracking great read nonetheless; it also features Galactus and time travel.

It's collected in either Fantastic Four Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1 or the new Fantastic Four "Into the Timestream" Epic Collection (the latter includes about two-thirds of Simonson's run, which is really worth reading in general).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

genghis.khan posted:

So what would you recommend to someone who is greatly enjoying Hickman's Avengers universe? Some of the things I love about it:

- Self contained story. I had never read a single Avengers story before this and I was able to start at issue #1 with ease.
- World-building and interesting mythos
- Lots of different superheroes
- Action

You might like the Grant Morrison Justice League run from the late 1990s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vorik posted:

Are there any good teen titan comics?

DC hasn't done a great job of collecting the Titans outside John's run from the 2000s. The Johns one is pretty divisive because a) it's one of the main sites for his adventures in continuity and b) it gets a bit violent (though maybe not to the same extent as his run on Green Lantern got a bit violent). I went into it with no knowledge of the comics Teen Titans, though I was mad keen on the cartoon. I've not read it since it was coming out, though, so I'm not sure how well it holds up.

Something I have read more recently which I'd recommend giving a go is the original New Warriors by Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley, because it's very much in the same vein as the "classic" (i.e. Marv Wolfman/George Pérez) Titans.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you enjoyed the first one? Yeah, the second one's got a lot of really cool stuff in it (the story arc with Mordru, Eclipso and Obsidian; Mr Terrific's bromance with Dr Mid-Nite; Black Adam bringing Atom Smasher over to the dark side).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Here it is http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Up-A...d+away+superman

Geoff Johns up to New Krypton is really good and his new run is also good.

What I've read of Kurt Busiek's stint on Action which ran similtaneously with Johns Superman I was also pretty good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is JSA the best thing Johns ever did?

Yes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like FF by Simonson better than FF by Byrne (and I like FF by Byrne a lot).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, was it Johns or whoever took over from him that had Raven go to high school and get a tramp stamp?

Johns, and pretty early on in his run, too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

What's a good Teen Titans run? Especially one that was at least partially targetted at actual teenagers like Runaways or the current Ms. Marvel.

Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SMP posted:

Daredevil very quickly became my favorite superhero and the Netflix series trailer got me hyped as hell. What are some other good reads?

You might enjoy "The Death of Jean DeWolff". It's a Spider-Man story, but Daredevil figures significantly in it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cyphoderus posted:

What are some other good comics that also happen to be about action and superhero teams? Is there any Avengers (and affiliated titles) run/storyline that's considered really good?

You might enjoy the Kurt Busiek run on Avengers, which ran from around 1998 to about 2004. It's a kind of "greatest hits" run - it has a more or less "classic" line-up and pits them against most of their classic enemies. It also has probably the best Ultron story there's ever been.

It has been collected in five TPBs (Avengers Assemble Vol. 1-5); alternatively, the first of what I imagine will be a couple of omnibuses will be released shortly.

I personally really like the Roger Stern run on Avengers from the 1980s, though it isn't to everyone's taste.

You may also enjoy JSA by Geoff Johns, which spun out of Grant Morrison's JLA. It's one of my top five favourite superhero comics of all time; the second of three omnibus collections was recently published.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I dunno if Unlimited added all the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, but they added 500 comics. Any recommendations?

John Ostrander had the most consistently good Star Wars comics for Dark Horse, so if they're available you might enjoy checking out Republic, Agent of the Empire and maybe Legacy (I'm of two minds about Legacy but it's very popular).

Star Wars Tales had some fun stories too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shitshow posted:

I keep eyeing Legacy but can never pull the trigger on it. What's good and bad about it?

The good: well, for me, I think it's come closer than any other EU material to recapturing the tone of KOTOR 2, while mixing it with that of the original trilogy. It's "dark and edgy" but it's done well.

The bad: the main problem, in my view, is that it basically undermines the victory that Luke, Leia, Han, Lando and Chewie earned at the end of ROTJ; the Empire is back on top, the Sith are running the show while Luke's New Jedi Order have been scattered to the four winds, and the Republic is reduced to a star fleet that's on the run throughout the galaxy, relying on guerilla warfare tactics. However, this is nothing unique within the EU, and it's done much more effectively than anywhere else.

The big twist of the big bad's true identity probably won't mean very much if you haven't read certain story arcs in Republic which were written by (I think) Tim Truman (namely "Outlander", "Emissaries to Malastare", "The Hunt for Aurra Sing" and a Clone Wars era story, the title of which presently escapes me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first dozen or so issues are good, but very different from the Gillen/McKelvie series. Very similar to Teen Titans as written by Geoff Johns, which should come as no surprise as he and Heinberg were sharing a studio at the time. Don't bother with Childrens' Crusade. Because it's pants.