Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation along the lines of Bone. Something upbeat, fun, maybe on the cartoonier side of things, and ideally fairly long and complete.

Mark Crilley's Akiko (aka Akiko on the Planet Smoo) should also suit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

I've heard Lobo brought up a few times in the last couple of days. It made me wanna read some Lobo. Any recs for a one shot or mini series?

I read the one with Santa. I believe I own a Sam Kieth miniseries (which wasn't good). That's about alls I got.

Anything involving Keith Giffen, Alan Grant, and/or Simon Bisley is probably what you want. They did a whole bunch of Lobo miniseries and one-shots back in the 90s.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

There’s an Aquaman sale, and frankly, I’ve never read any Aquaman. He’s the guy who talks to fish right?

What is recommended?

PAD did good Aquaman back in the day, particularly The Atlantis Chronicles. His 1994 series was the beginning of Aquaman's beardy barbarian look.

I also enjoyed Neal Pozner's 1986 Aquaman miniseries, aka The One with the Blue Costume, even though it got instantly forgotten continuity-wise.

And as a spinoff from Pozner, Phil Jimenez's Tempest mini is awesome to look at, although Jimenez's writing skills are uneven at best.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 4, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

It's a bit dated these days but I think the Claremont/Miller miniseries from 1982 still holds up.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, Rick Veitch was Garth Ennis before there was Garth Ennis.

I remember The One as being 80s as all hell. I think it'd seem incredibly dated today.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

just another posted:

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion, and I'm in the mood for something sci-fi. Preferably something harder and less space opera-y.

Already tried Saga and it didn't hold my interest. Manga is fine, too.

Semi-related: is there a particularly good era for Green Lantern?

I enjoyed the 1990s Green Lantern (aka the "Gray-Haired Hal" era), but these days I'd rather not recommend anything by Gerard Jones.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cassa posted:

Thanks to the Batman Miniature game, me and my mate have been introduced to the wonderful snake people of Kobra.

Do they have any particularly notable storylines?

The original Ostrander Suicide Squad had a pretty good Kobra story arc -- looking it up, it was issues #45-47.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read it, but I imagine Chip Zdarsky's Jughead is worth reading.

It is. Waid's Archie too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MrBling posted:

Help me out with finding new stuff to read.

I''m not a big comic book guy so I haven't really read much of anything from Marvel or DC of all the big names.

I really like Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing but haven't ventured further than that. Are the later runs in the same style?
The Jamie Delano run of Hellblazer is another favourite. Again, haven't ventured further either. Any good runs?
I have all of Hellboy and BPRD and love them.

For more recent stuff, you might want to look at The Wicked + the Divine. Kieron Gillen's new series Die is supposed to be pretty good too, although I haven't read it yet.

Terry Moore's Rachel Rising is a fun horror/supernatural comic too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

What are some of the better rebirth era DC comics? Looking for anything I might have missed. I hope to use my January comics budget up as soon as the new year rolls around.

I liked Green Arrow and Deathstroke (although in the latter case, being a Priest fanboy helps). New Super-Man is a lot of fun too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I can't recall any writers getting too deeply into the actual business of photography. Closest I recall is in the 90s when Parker published a coffee-table book of his Spider-Man photos.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

Any non Hellboy and non Black Hammer Dark Horse recommendations? I am going to pick up volume 3 of Umbrella Academy and figure maybe I should give some Dark Horse titles a look at as well.

I like Beanworld, myself.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

Well, ran out of Power Pack to read to my 5 year old. We've got lots of other stuff to read but she really liked that the youngest was only 6. Any other superhero stuff with kids that young?

Tiny Titans, maybe?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I loved Criminal, The Fix, and Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Gimme more crime stuff I'll love of any degree of seriousness. People said I should read Sex Criminals?

Also, where are people getting already released comics during Covid? Just ordering trades on Amazon or what?

Have you read Stray Bullets? It's very much in the Jim Thompson noir tradition of petty crooks making bad choices that land them in the poo poo.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Are the Cerebus comics good or have a good arc to jump into? Also, the Wikipedia page says that the later comics feature the creator's "controversial beliefs" and I was wondering what that's about.

Cerebus is good up to a point. What that point is, depends on you. Personally, I'd quit after Jaka's Story, but some people bail out as early as Church and State. If you want to read Cerebus, I'd apply the same rule as the Dune books --- read until you start feeling dissatisfied, and then stop, because it's not going to be getting any better if you push on.

That said, if I'd known when I started reading Cerebus what Sim's, ahem, controversial beliefs were, I would have chosen not to put money in his pocket in the first place.

Sim is loudly and proudly misogynist. Not just anti-feminist -- he genuinely loving hates women and sees them as emotional and intellectual vampires who latch onto men and suck out their brains (because they haven't got any of their own, you see).

Go read his "Tangent" essay, which is dotted with charming phrases like "the feminist-homosexualist axis," if you must learn more.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 11, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you're open to 70s stuff, the Wolfman/Colan run on Tomb of Dracula is a classic.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this since it's a sort of two part question.

You know how Daredevil has two or three "definitive authors" who people think of and recommend? Who is a definitive author for The Punisher besides Garth Ennis?

Because around ten or so years ago Ennis was the one and only writer you got suggestions for when it came to Punisher. But it seems to me Ennis' stock has dropped a lot in the last five or so years. Maybe I just talk to different comic boo k fans ut I see a ton of haters for him now.

I can't fully recommend him because he's a Comicsgater chud, but Chuck Dixon was the Punisher writer in the 90s, before Ennis came along.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I agree, definitely the original Moench/Sienkiewicz series. Yeah, it's transparently knockoff Batman, but it's good knockoff Batman.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Leave It to Chance might be what you're looking for.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you're interested in the 80s Titans, I suggest you just start at the beginning with New Teen Titans #1 (the 1980 version, not the 1984 relaunch). The older Titans stuff is ... forgettable, to put it kindly, and isn't really necessary to know continuity-wise.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Oh right G. Willow Wilson was a prose writer first. Definitely check out her stuff.

Yes, try Alif the Unseen.

Rucka also has the Atticus Kodiak series. If you like Jack Reacher and that sort of thing, you'll probably like this.

And then there's Alan Moore's Jerusalem.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I read The Boys and thought it was fantastic. Probably the best comic series I've ever read. I grabbed the first volume of Preacher as that seemed like a natural spot to go next.

What else is up there with The Boys in terms of quality?

I'm not an Ennis fan myself, but I think you'll like Hitman if you liked The Boys.

Another possibility is Marshal Law, which is superhero satire like The Boys, although broader and more cartoonishly violent.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RadicalTranslation posted:

I'm currently working through post-crisis DC stuff. Can anyone recommend me the best runs here between 1986-2000 besides the obvious stuff? AKA hidden gems

Ostrander's Suicide Squad. Okay, that's probably one of the obvious ones, but still. Ostrander also did an excellent Deadshot miniseries during that era, and his revival of Manhunter with his wife, Kim Yale, is worth checking out. And if you can look past the continuity hell it introduced, Hawkworld is a pretty good read. And there's Spectre too. Basically, read Ostrander. (Okay, his work on Firestorm is kinda skippable.)

Another obvious choice, but one I feel I have to point out: O'Neil and Cowan's Question.

Speaking of miniseries from that era, definitely take a look at Phil Foglio's Plastic Man, Neal Pozner's Aquaman, and Matt Wagner's Demon.

Which reminds me, the post-Zero Hour Demon series by Alan Grant was pretty fun too.

Power of the Atom was one of the Atom's better books, and likewise The Power of Shazam! for Captain Marvel.

Even if you don't want to get tangled in Legion continuity, the Great Darkness Saga is worth a look.

And it's at the very end of the range, but for my money Walt Simonson's Orion is the best non-Kirby treatment of the New Gods.

For non-DCU stuff, try the regrettably short Helfer/Sienkiewicz/Baker run on The Shadow.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 26, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

90s DC also gave us Ostrander's Spectre and Martian Manhunter.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of, if you liked Ostrander's Squad, you should take a look at the Deadshot miniseries he wrote.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Azhais posted:

In my continuing trend of reading the MCU related stuff, are any of the Eternals or Shang-Chi comics worth reading, and if so where would you start?

The original 70s Master of Kung Fu series is pretty good, with some beautifully illustrated martial arts fights by Paul Gulacy and the sadly short-lived Gene Day.

On the other hand, it's also got Fu Manchu in it. Doug Moench isn't a deep-dyed racist like Sax Rohmer was, but still, it's hard to use Fu Manchu without bringing in a host of Yellow Peril tropes with him.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I just found the mishmash of espionage and Kung-Fu genres incredibly compelling.

Yeah, 70s MOKF is Moench's love letter to two genres -- chopsocky movies and British adventure stories (the Fu Manchu books, Bulldog Drummond, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, etc.).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

DC has an incredible sale on Green Lantern at Comixology right now. Ridiculously cheap. Their best sale in years.

What are the highlights besides Lemire and Grell?

To be obvious: the O'Neil/Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow. I'd have recommended Emerald Dawn too, but apparently it's not included.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

Are there any bronze age onwards Spiderman runs worth checking out? I have read the whole Ultimate Spider-Man run and Zdarsky's Spidey stuff. I know the 90s were all clone saga stuff. Are there any collected 80s runs that hold up good?

Off the top of my head, there are the Kraven's Last Hunt and Death of Jean DeWolff arcs. There's also the whole Secret Wars/black costume/symbiote story, if you're curious to see where that started out.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

There's also the Milligan/Allred X-Statix, which takes the weird, dysfunctional superhero team concept to the point of parody (and possibly somewhat beyond).

And hey, why not Grant Morrison's original run on Doom Patrol while we're at it?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

After my successful foray into all things Legion of Superheroes, I think I’m going to find out what’s the deal with the New Gods and those other guys.

What’s the best place to start?

DC published four volumes of Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus that cover all his New Gods-related material.

(And honestly, that's probably all you need. For my money, the only other writers who have used the New Gods well are Grant Morrison in Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis, and Walt Simonson in Orion.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Baby Proof posted:

I finally subscribed to DC Universe, and what I should be reading is all of the Vertigo series I've missed over the years, but instead:

Is there a recommended reading list / reading order for either Milestone or Wildstorm? I remember enjoying Blood Syndicate, Stormwatch, Authority, and Planetary, but that's about all I read from those lines.

Static is the obvious recommendation for Milestone, given that he was their most successful character, and it was a fun comic.

It was short-lived, but I also liked Shadow Cabinet, which was a fun take on a Suicide Squad-esque superhero covert action team.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stray Bullets?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe check out Kieron Gillen. I think you'd like The Wicked and the Divine or Die.

Or maybe David Lapham' Stray Bullets.

Also, Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba's Daytripper is a single volume comic that manages to be both sad and heartwarming at the same time.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Have you tried Gerard Way's (yes, MCR Gerard Way) comics, like Umbrella Academy and his take on Doom Patrol? And if you liked Milligan's Shade, you might also enjoy Cecil Castellucci's Shade the Changing Woman.

Oh, and Matt Fraction/Gabriel Ba/Fabio Moon's Casanova should be right up your alley.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cassa posted:

What are the quintessential Hugo Strange stories?

I'd suggest Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men and the Doug Moench/Paul Gulacy "Prey" storyline from Legends of the Dark Knight (#s 11-15).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Brubaker/Maleev run on DD is definitely worth seeking out.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Not flowy inks, but black and white horror makes me think of Terry Moore's Rachel Rising.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

poe meater posted:

I really enjoyed Morrison's animal man and I was wondering if its worth continuing after. What about the more modern comics?

I might just read something else so I don't get burnt out.

I didn't much like the post-Morrison Animal Man. I like most of Milligan's other work, but his run was a lot of weirdness for weirdness's sake, and then Delano tried to turn it into a horror comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

Is there anything out there that's capturing the vibe of slightly alternative early 90s Vertigo strangeness? I'm really missing the "weird" from comics right now.

I'm currently reading the Doom Patrol mini, which is fun and a little off-kilter, but very sanded down to fit into a big DC event and The X-Cellent, which is great fun when it actually comes out.

Have you read Casanova? Plenty of weird to be found there.