Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

I just bought a year of Marvel Unlimited.

I'm catching up on the galactic side of Marvel to get pumped up for Guardians of the Galaxy. I read Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet, the latter was great. Is Infinty Wars any good, or should I move on to Thanos (12 issue series)and then Annihilation?

Are there any other great arcs or big stories in general like Infinity Gauntlet?

Infinity War is bad and Infinity Crusade is even worse. I would skip them if I were you. I haven't read the Thanos series, so I can't comment, but you should definitely read Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest.

EDIT:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Dark Reign: The List: Wolverine features The World - a facility with confusing mechanics that plays a huge role in the UXF story.

It first came up in Morrison's New X-Men, so I guess you should go check that out too?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

The Kirby stuff is Kirby, so you know it's going to be great to look at. The Priest stuff is 100% awesome, and I give it my highest recommendation. I think Hudlin was the guy who had Panther put the Silver Surfer in a chicken-wing, which was irredeemably stupid. :colbert:
No, that was McDuffie during his F4 run, I'm pretty sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

The current X-Man Legacy?

It just ended.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shawn posted:

Ultimate Spider-man: Cataclysm, which is 3 issues long, and then in a week or so Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-man
Also, Ultimate Spider-Man #200 which came out last week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Kingdom Come is great. But does it depend too much on general DC knowledge to really get? I thought it was really accessible as a teen without having read much DC (or comics) at the time and it's out of continuity.
It doesn't *really* but there's definitely parts that are better with more knowledge of DC comics, especially anything Captain Marvel related, who is both very important to the story and nowhere near as well-known as Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So glad I found that for cover price in Annapolis on a random trip out there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Once Roy Thomas starts writing with Neal Adams art, it gets a good bit better. X-Men was probably the weakest Lee/Kirby book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I mean, is there anything in Ult. marvel to avoid, really? I know Ultimates 3/Ultimatum is supposed to be pretty awful, but I think I have to read it because it fucks with so much poo poo.

Back in the day I read the four ongoings through Before Ultimates 3, so I've heard Ultimatium "ruins Ultimate Marvel" until the relaunch. True? (And The only specific complaints I've heard are Blob eats Wasp and Wolverine is mean to Clint about his dead wife)
Ultimatum is kind of important but Ultimates 3 is not at all. Even still, if you're just reading Spider-Man, you're not going to miss a whole lot since New York gets rebuilt basically overnight and all the ramifications are in the Spider-Man specific books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Instead of reading Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, read Ultimate Edit over on 4thLetter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

This is an extremely broad question but:

Last week I got the Planetary omni and this week I got the Sleeper omnibus. I was wondering what other good omnibus collections are out there? I like indie superheroish stuff like the two I mentioned, I'm not really interested in slice of life or whatever books. So good omnibuses that collect 20+ or so issues of really quality, complete runs is what I'm after.
Hellboy and BPRD are both collected in hardcovers, though the early Hellboy ones may be going out of print.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sporklift posted:

Why would you say they are going out of print? They seem pretty readily available at the usual places. They are beautiful books and can be had pretty cheep. I wish the next BPRD HC would come out already. I burn through those things so fast.

Hm, seems you're right. For some reason, I thought that was a thing that was happening.

So yeah, grab those Hellboy Library Editions! $30 or for good comics!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seymour Butts posted:

Could I read all of these on Marvel Ultimate? $10/month seems like an awesome deal and I don't think I mind reading comics on my computer. I have a pretty crappy netbook, so it would have to be compatible with Chrome.
Marvel Unlimited has pretty much everything from 1995 to six months prior to current, but is missing stuff from prior to that. It works fine in Chrome, and if you want to see how it runs on your computer, there's free sample issues you can check out.

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Checkmate by Greg Rucka
Chase by J. H. Williams III and Doug Moench
Scalped by Jason Aaron and R. M. Guera
DMZ by Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli
Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky
Scarlet by Bendis and Maleev

The Batwoman comis is also pretty a spy comic.

Queen & Country by Greg Rucka
Criminal by Ed Brubaker
Parker by Darwyn Cooke

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Immortal Iron Fist, maybe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wendell posted:

Now we all know the current Wonder Woman run is great, but are there any runs prior to this that are also worthwhile?
George Perez and Greg Rucka.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What can you tell me about the Greg Rucka run without spoiling it for Wendell? I only know him from a Spidey one-shot and Queen and Country. He seems like an odd choice to do a large-scale big-name hero.

I've only read a little of it, but a lot of it deals with Diana's work as ambassador to man's world.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Marvel is dping everything they can to position Carol as their premier female hero.
:stare:
I guess that's one way to do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantomex is barely explained in NXM and his whole deal is that it's all a deception, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frenchnewwave posted:

Still here! But I'm a girl not a guy ;)
Will add that to my list.

Should I be, like, going to a comic book store or can I order all these off amazon?
Single issues are easiest to either get at a comic store or digitally through various companies (Comixology is the biggest one and carries all the biggest publishers except for Dark Horse). Collected editions are generally cheaper on Amazon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lest we forget, there are two valid readings of Manara.

http://www.letsbefriendsagain.com/2011/11/07/we-like-them-2/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Locke and Key maybe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Anything I need to read before going into Morrison's JLA?
Superman becomes blue for a bit due to stuff happening over in his own book. Other than that, no. Morrison made sure it was starting clean.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

I would just skip Fraction's F4 and stick with his FF. I also have never heard anyone speak of Robinson's 2014 F4 one way or another, so I'm guessing it's pretty skippable.
Everyone here read like the first issue or two of Robinson's F4 then dropped it. Maybe it's gotten better, but I wouldn't know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really like Ben Grimm but the Fantastic Four's wacky outer-space time traveling whatsit isn't really for me and I don't really dig the X-hundredth iteration of "Reed Richards is a bad husband."

Is there stuff worth reading where Thing just stomps the poo poo out of earthbound mooks and/or is just more centered around his personality and not the other members of the FF?

Dan Slott wrote a Thing ongoing-but-became-a-miniseries that was decent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The other thing about the Valiant books is that they're pretty strongly interconnected. Not so much that you need to read them all, but there's concepts that follow through the various books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Be sure to check out his run on Superman. It's truly grounded in reality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

Please recommend or don't recommend that I purchase:

Jonathan Hickman's:

Secret

A Red Mass for Mars

Red Wing

God is Dead

I love Hickman's work and these are what's left on his Amazon page that I don't have.

Secret is pretty cool from what I remember and I should probably reread it now that it's done. God is Dead is okay for a bit, then Hickman leaves and it's a bit better for awhile then becomes gore for the sake of gore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HarveyxCosmonaut posted:

Can anybody recommend any of the Ghostbusters comic series? I've really enjoyed a lot of the paranormal/science stuff from Hellboy, B.P.R.D., and Atomic Robo that has a sense of humor and doesn't take itself too seriously. There seems to be mixed opinions elsewhere.

I dunno, they put Rhyno on a variant cover, so it can't be that great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Are there any good Kevin Smith runs? Evidently his Daredevil stint sucked, and I read his Cacophany story on Batman and...jeesh, that was dire.

If you liked Clerks, his Clerks comics were good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Okay, cool. I'm really enjoying the New 52 (slowly working my way through them from beginning to the present issues) and was a bit sad at the rumors of them killing the reboot and going back to the established continuity that I'd have to go waaaaay back to understand.
You don't have to read old comics to understand what's going on unless you're super anal about knowing everything. At worst, you can read some wiki articles of the past couple events and that tends to get you most of the way there, and even ignoring that, if they rebooted/debooted continuity, the new stories would just start there and you'd be fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheManWithNoName posted:

That's actually something I've been wanting to do with Silver Age Marvel, starting from Fantastic Four #1 and going by release order. But that's not nearly 52 titles and they are all way more interconnected.

Maybe, but a typical silver age comic is going to have 10 times the words of a modern one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Peak Charles Soule recommendations?

Check out Letter 44.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's no Avengers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jeff Lemire's Teen Titans: Earth One OGN is almost litigiously like Runways.
I liked it, though.
This almost makes me want to read it. Almost.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For Longshot, he has a miniseries which is probably a good place to start. From there, you basically have the Outback X-Men to work through. And then he shows up in X-Factor, which you'll already be reading for your Madrox fix!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

So Fables is ending and I took Morning Glories off of my pull list because it was going nowhere. Looking for one or two to replace them.

My current pull list:
Saga
BPRD
The Walking Dead
Chew

Other favorites:
BKV stuff
Locke and Key

So yeah I guess I like Image and Vertigo for the most part. I'm not interested in superheroes but I like funny, adventure, sci-fi, and horror. I was reading Conan for a bit and it varied wildly between good and bad.

East of West
Sex Criminals

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hadji murad posted:

Avengers Season One and Avengers The Origin are on sale at Comixology. How are they regarded?
Avengers: The Origin is fine if you want to reread Avengers #1 decompressed for no real reason and also they now have cell phones. It's done well enough, but there's no real reason for it to exist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I mean, the Abnett and Lanning stuff is *really* good, but it's also a LOT to read, and the Guardians don't happen until AFTER the second event (though the REALLY GOOD Starlord mini is essentially the genesis of them), and the stuff not written by them ranges from good to bad. I haven't read the Bendis stuff, myself, but people seem to enjoy it, so start there, and if she enjoys it, she can go back and read the other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's really worth reading, but I totally get not wanting to get invested in 12 or so trades worth of material just to get to the start of Guardians.