Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I love the idea because it means that it is entirely possible that zemo is next door neighbours with Dracula (who doesnt have a moon laser, instead he has a cannon for shooting vampires at Britain from the moon). Man, the moon would have the most hosed up neighbourhood watch meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anora posted:

Someone bought a couple boxes of Uncle Ben's, and just sent a bunch out to everyone to tape on their walls. Was slightly cheaper.

Unfortunately this means that a few marvel writers think that there is a character called "long grain rice man" that they are forbidden to ressurect.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FilthyImp posted:

I want the next Spectre to be a Redditor, so that the scene goes like this:

(Spectre pulls back cowl, dons spectral fedora)

"Well ACTUALLY, homosexuality as a sin is an invention of..."

"Spectre! Is this about justice, or is this about simple vengeance"

"Well, ACTUALLY its about ethics in videogame journalism..."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Question IRL posted:

Matt: Cap, I'm glad that we've cleared your name and all, but you do realize that you willingly let false evidence go before a court of law?

Steve: Yup, it was the only way that I could draw Faustus out.

Jennifer No Steve you don't get it. This is a pretty big deal, lawyers aren't supposed to do this sort of stuff. There will have to be an investigation. You, Matt and I could both be done for Perjury or Contempt of court.

Steve: Umm, wait look over there! All of Reality is Collapsing. I had best go deal with that!

Steve isnt a lawyer, and he didnt tell Matt it was false evidence until after the case was over, so I dont think that applies (as he didnt know it was false when he presented it). Plus even if it was still applicable its not even in the top 50 shady things matt has done as a lawyer.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Grendels Dad posted:

Not as egregious as the examples you posted, but every X-Man can become a teacher by having lived in a school for a bit.

I dont know about the US, but in the UK private (paid for) school teachers dont actually need a teaching qualification. If you want to work in a public school you need a qualification, but private schools can hire anyone they like as long as they can pass a criminal record check.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tracula posted:

I guess but for once I want Superman vs Batman to go the same way The Mountain vs Oberon did. Someones goddamn skull needs to pop and Batman actually needs to loving lose for once.

Batman more or less has to be a more skilled fighter than superman, or whats the point of him? On the other hand, you are right, its a fight thats been done to death. The obvious solution is to just not have those 2 characters fight unless the writer has something new to do/say with the fight. Unfortunately a lot of comic writers cant resist their chance to smash their inner childs action figures together and have batman win.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, but that one panel makes him look like hes been psychicing so hard that his nipples are bleeding right through his jacket.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kyle Descope.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Was there ever a space ghost rider who like rode a space shuttle with... fire... coming out...

I didnt think this through

There was the Ghost Rider of the Guardians of the Galaxy future, but sadly he just rode a space motorbike with a flaming tusked skull on the front. It looks about 100% less awesome than how you are currently picturing it sadly. http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Vol_1_13

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lightning Lord posted:

I actually think that American/Western takes on manga are an untapped niche that has a lot of potential, but that's seriously making me reconsider that idea.

Isnt that literally just "Comics"?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well sure, a polar bear can beat pretty much anything, with sufficient time to prepare.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Uthor posted:

Can I shoot them out of my fingertips?

Someones just been diagnosed with a case of colloidal silver age.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Elfface posted:

His explanation is that he's a dog, he's attracted to other dogs, so her being naked to him didn't really have any effect.

But then he ends up dating a human later anyway...

Someone post something badass from Top 10. I can only think of stuff for the funny or heartwarming threads right now, and don't have the books with me to find more.

Like 2 pages after he gives that explaination Sarge is talking to... Duane I think? Cowboy guy anyway, and the conversation pretty much goes "I told her I'm not attracted to humans, I'm seeing a borzoi" "and she bought that?" "Yep", so he ends up dating a human woman because he was lying about only being atracted to other dogs.

Man, out of context this sounds like a really creepy thing to talk about.

If I had access to my copies I'd post badass panels of Joe Pi defeating Atoman, or Smax taking on Comissioner Ultima. But I dont.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CzarChasm posted:

Is this the comic (probably just the page before this) where the whole plot is revealed by the character whose "power" is synesthesia?

I think it is pretty much the page before this, yes. In fairness I thought it worked in context of the comic. It didnt come out of nowhere or anything.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Parahexavoctal posted:

Beyond was trash, yes. What did you dislike about Season Two?

Obviously I cant speak for Synthbuttrange, but I mainly remember Season Two just not being a particularly great comic. Nothing terrible enough to be noteworthy, just not that good either. Admittedly, following Alan Moore writing characters he created was always going to be tough, even if you were their co-creator. I've been meaning to reread what was published of Season Two to see if it is as mediocre as I thought at the time or if it was coloured by "These characters were better written when Alan Moore was writing them", particularly as Top Ten is pretty much my favourite thing that Moore has ever written, and pretty much got me back into comics after a long break. As it stands from my vague memory, I wouldnt tell people to avoid them, but equally I wouldnt tell anyone to spend any particular effort obtaining them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Huh. I've seen/read that before, but if I'm honest I always kind of assumed it was comic book science rather than having any real life chemistry behind it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wanderer posted:

Ennis Stuff

I had a whole thing typed up, but basically it boiled down to "I mostly agree with Wanderer on this one", but much more rambling than that, so I deleted it. Essentially a lot of what Wanderer are saying is metatextual, but as far as I remember (and I havent read it again since it was originally published) it is literally text in The Boys, its not an interpretation of the text, its literally on the page, said by Butcher. I think his intentions with these characters is spelled out there, although we can obviously argue about execution, with so many people disagreeing on interpretation then its fair to say that some of what he was aiming for didnt land. With a lot of Ennis characters I feel you are supposed to empathise with them, you are supposed to hope their story ends well for them, but you arent always supposed to AGREE with them. A lot of his villains are monsterous, but have their good points or understandable motivations. A lot of his protagonists also do monsterous things beause when you fight monsters etc etc.

And on a basic level I cant agree with someone saying that Preacher is a bad series. If someone was to say "There are elements of Preacher that have aged badly", then I'm all on board with that. Parts of Preacher have aged INCREDIBLY badly (and in all fairness there are parts that were cringy at the time, its far from a perfect series), but in all fairness there are precious few comics from the goddamn 90s that have aged well. But essentially "Garth Ennis isnt Mark Millar" is the long and short of what I'm getting at I think.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

How do you break a shapeshifters neck?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SonicRulez posted:

Is there anyone better at fighting from underneath than Spider-Man? He is a great underdog.

Puck.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TenCentFang posted:

You're taking this way more seriously than I am. That's not even in response to anything, it's just like, I didn't think the disagreement we were having was that enflamed.

Anyway, another more serious analogy might be if Doom flicked the Beyonders away with his fingers. Doom is cool because he comes out on top of massively one sided uphill battles. It's not cool if he can just step over the hill. As the Kingpin does, I can buy Doom resisting Kilgrave, but not without even a flinch.

But Doom is a villain. If other villains make Doom their bitch, then how are we supposed to take a powered hero fighting Doom seriously? Unpowered heroes should have uphill struggles for the audience to root for, absolutely but villains need to be powerful because they ARE the uphill struggle for the hero to overcome. Doom has to be better than Purple Man for story purposes because Purple Man was frankly (until Alias) Z-tier. Doom has to be able to credibly fight the entire Fantastic Four on his own. You could argue that having unpowered villains for powered heroes is therefore a bad idea in storytelling terms, which would be a different conversation (which again, we should otherwise we wouldnt have Doom, but it' still be a more interesting discussion).

To put it in terms you might understand; You want Andre to bump for the Brooklyn Brawler on TV days before a PPV match with Hogan.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TenCentFang posted:

Did Kilgrave make Fisk his bitch?

Fisk wasnt actually that big a deal until Daredevil became popular (he was created as a spider-man villain, but spider-man had way more interesting enemies who could do everything Fisk could do AND were a physical threat). Fisks main opponent is now one guy who isnt as blind as a regular blind guy, and he doesnt have to be a physical threat (although he is shown to be very strong and able to hold his own in a fight with Daredevil. I think he's at least once said to have trained Sumo believe it or not). Can you imagine a fight between Fisk and the Fantastic Four or the Avengers?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skwirl posted:

Lex Luthor is a credible threat to Superman, even in comics where he doesn't have a power suit. A Kingpin vs. F4 story would probably start with them being in some sort of financial trouble and Fisk buying their building or something, same with the Avengers probably, isn't the Avenger's mansion in Manhattan? that's a lot of land to be occupied by a 2-3 story building on a tiny island that's also the financial capital of the world.

Absolutely fair, but I did say "fight". Whatever plot you have in mind with Fisk vs the Avengers or FF could be done with Doom, and you could have it end with an actual fight. Not so much Fisk, I dont think he's ever been the power-suit wearing type (although I stand to be corrected, and I guess being confident enough to walk around in purple pinstripe, white jacket and a goddamn cravat is its own type of power). Its purely illustrative; It isnt as important for fisk to brush off a low tier powered villain because he isnt commonly going toe to toe with powered heroes. Beating a nobody doesnt make the heroes look good, so to keep the heroes looking strong their villains have to look strong. Hence Doom shrugging off the purple man.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'd argue that Hawkeye is pretty badass fightin USAgent when he doesnt have any realistic chance of winning, or I would if Hawkeye wasnt the kind of guy who just kind of assumes he'll win in any given situation.

It does remind me of one of my favourite bits of... I'm not going to say badassery because its really just some petty spiteful bullshit, but we dont have a "Favourite moments of petty bullshit in comics" thread, so... Anyway, at the start of one of the big "Avengers.... in SPAAAAAAACE" arcs (I think operation: Galactic Storm, but I stand ready to be corrected, I havent read the comic in years so I'm gonna get details wrong) they are picking which members of the avengers teams are going to go into space, and who is going to stay behind and babysit earth. USAgent is picked to go, Hawkeye is told (much to his annoyance) that he has to stay, because they think they will need more muscle in space. So Clint storms out muttering about this being some bullshit while Agent smugs it up. A short time later Clint returns to the committee room having chugged a dose of Pym PArticles. "So you dont think Hawkeye is enough muscle? How about GOLIATH?" So Clint goes into space, and USAgent storms out muttering how this is some bullshit.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pureauthor posted:

So then what's Bats' plan if Plastic Man goes rogue instead?

Elongated Man.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

If the movie ends with the heroes physically defeating Thanos instead of either out-philosophizing him or him very obviously sabotaging himself, the entire MCU is a massive failure.

Deep down we all know that Infinity War will end with all looking lost until captain america lifts thors hammer and smashes thanos with it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Did Daredevil just insult a white European by referring to him as "gunga din"? Because outside of the (obviously extremely colonial) Kipling poem, I've only ever heard that as a racist term for Indian people.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

I guess I don't keep a catalogue of every dumbass circular argument about anime and manga I'm a part of.

Then maybe you wanna have a think about what that says about your posting?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

In the second panel, did Danny just jump off a five story building? Because unless he punched the ground when he landed that should have ended badly.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

One of the first comics I remember reading had Iron Fist and Batroc fighting for like 12 panels on a single page, with a bunch of the panels giving a name of the move they were doing (Elephant Stomp Kick and so on) like a kung fu movie with a wrestling announce team. Child me thought that was The Tightest poo poo. And you know what? Child me was right. And I think that story is why every time I think of Batroc (ze Leapair), master of Savate, I mentally append (the art of french foot boxing) on the end.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Toshimo posted:

I bet you loving love this page:

You say that like its possible for someone to NOT love this page?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ImpAtom posted:

I'd very much enjoy a story where someone has Batman at their mercy, a fiendishly devilish plot, and they unleash their ultimate weapon. Holy water.

After which, of course, Batman punches them in the face.

Theres a Astro City story (Confession) that sorta kinda does this a bit. The story is about astro citys not-batman (Tthe Confessor") and not-robin ("Altar boy", our viewpoint character). It turns out that the confessor is in fact a vampire, and there is a whole thing where it is revealed publicly. Then at the end the 100% human Altar Boy takes over as the new Confessor, but all the villains assume hes the original and are throwing holy water at him and are covered in cruxifixes and so on, none of which have any effect. its not the focus of the story really, but its at least what-you-want adjacent.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alaois posted:

1.) to gaslight her into joining the Massachusetts School by convincing her that because she got horny for Cannonball she lost control of her powers
2.) she didn't actually blow up a horse, she set the stable on fire and the horse died but the way its depicted sequentially

3.) being an upper middle class girl in New England is pretty sick

On the upside, hot buttered rum is legit pretty good on a cold winters evening.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

John Dyne posted:

The grey one is the good one. The one that looks like the costume kids wear at Halloween is the not good one.

So the one with the bolts in his head is the one that doesnt look like the old movie versions of frankenstein?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

He's got some kind of super intellect and super memory and has read like every book so I'm sure he could give Batman a run for his money in an MMA fight if he got depowered.

I mean, early UFC shows had a lot of people who had read a lot of martial arts books too. It didnt necessarily go well for them against people who had actual experience.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

Those people were probably not Superman.

Sure, but if Superman gets depowered, neither is he. And none of the people they were fighting were batman.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

That seems like a very disrespectful thing to do to a friend's corpse.

He was really more of a work friend.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, without the background/buildup its not so much badass as "He's very skinny. And why are there astronauts suddenly?"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

You're all crazy. Thats plainly Spider-man 2099 and Union Jack fighting wolverine.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

He also looks a lot like Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr Freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

site posted:

didn't MM have a fire phobia because it was pstd trigger, not like a species wide thing? like he saw his people consumed by fire by the white martians or something? did i just totally make that up?

IIRC that was what they went with in the JLU cartoon, so that might be where you got it from.