Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lurdiak posted:

It was a really unfortunate phase Punisher recently got over.

While the Punisher relaunch right now is perfectly fine, and Thunderbolts has improved since Soule took over, Rucka's Punisher was still really good and it's a crime that it ended for anything Way wanted to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Affi posted:

This thread totally got me hooked on Strong Female Protagonist and Rat Queens. They are both really loving good. Is there anything else in that vein around here?

John Rogers' (sadly ended) DnD series is like 30 proceeding issues of Rat Queens.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

So Rat Queens still has the best fight scenes:

All from Rat Queens #7.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Vincent posted:

I forgot, but did they ever deal with Starbrand accidentally killing an entire town or did Hickman just went "...but then THIS". Because the last time a superhero accidentally destroyed a town, we got a lovely Mark Millar summer event.

It was hardly his fault. The White Event targeted him, quite literally, at random.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Just a Starbrand and Nightmask. The big difference is that the guy who ends up as Starbrand isn't the kind of person who should have been given power. Although he eventually grows into it.

It doesn't really matter who became Starbrand though. Whoever he was before, he's been consumed by what he has become, and all those foreground people who would normally have gotten the power would have subsumed into the role of planetary defense system the same way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's the one spot in the room with no marks, because she killed everyone who came close without even moving.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Conversely, that chick just wants to kill a god.

Well, not a god. Seek heaven through violence!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Whatever reservations you have about the premise of Top 10, it's very well executed. It's probably the most criminally underrated comic there is.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The guy they were trying to arrest was holed up in a literally impregnable bunker. The only way to get him out was to talk him out, and that might not happen for years. Even if they did, there's no guarantee that comic book science couldn't somehow restore his powers down the line, kryptonite stand-in or no.

Plus, they really wanted to kill him.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

None of that changes the fact that we're being told that someone with elastic powers has the power of mind control. How the hell does that really work, especially visually? Not showing that at all was what was weak, not the thematic structure which was perfectly fine.

Dowling's mind was "elastic". As long as you were near him, you were him, and you wouldn't even know it. He could ransack the memories of anyone near him, and because he was a small minded and greedy brute he threw everything into vault except the weapons. He used those to kill people who said no or just annoyed him. He tried to use his power on Elijah, which made the panels all red and swirly and zoom in on his eyes, but he was dead from the moment he got to their meeting without an instantaneous escape (Elijah had a teleporter set up.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Toshimo posted:

This scene always bothered me because the resolution to the God Butcher arc was supposed to be that everyone forgot it.

I had that hangup too, but then I saw Thor spit his glass liver shards into an elf sorcerer king's face before punching him out with his lightning fists.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

That happens with a bunch of glowy sentinels in Second Coming too. Dr. Nemesis has a custom built bicep-shaped hydraulic press just for fixing his arms.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Given how many actual Punisher fans there are in real life, he would totally get free guns, thumbs up and complimentary alcohol.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The Punisher convinced Judge Anderson to be his sidekick?

She was a soldier who married a cop for about 3 seconds before the mob shot up their wedding, and she was the only one who lived.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

That should've been the part where Frank realizes he just broke his loving hands, but Spidey jobs to a flashbang or something.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Toadstrieb posted:

Is it actually good in terms of story or is it just an art book of Thors tho? Not that I would be opposed to purchasing the latter.

It's pretty good. It's a murder mystery where the cops are thunder gods and sit across an interrogation room from Loki.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm sorry, Thor and Order, surely.

Thor and Boarder.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

From Darth Vader 13 and Star Wars 13, Darth Vader has been shot down a Rebel held world while looking for Luke:

The Vader Down storyline is really good.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Nixon was the leader of the Secret Empire and Steve was so disgusted he quit being Captain America.

no see those were highly trained actors and

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I just wanna say, American Alien (#4) is so great:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Gavok posted:

That's gotta be rank as hell if that's the only thing she ever wears.

You gotta think you can get more than one skirt out of an entire leopard though. She rotates.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The actual passage is pretty Fury though:

quote:

17 And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.
Ezekiel 25 is literally God's rear end-kicking Schedule.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If I lived in Gotham, I'd be much more likely to vote for Batman than some rich guy.

Of course, if I lived in Gotham I'd move, too.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The entire point of that whole sequence is that he's not unworthy anymore. The hammer was responding to him being willing to die to save some kid he'd never met. The Collector is such a loving goon that he doesn't get it so he's going to make him fight towards the thing over and over so he can measure worthiness on his space scanners.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

What's even crazier is that this is actually the denouement to All Star Superman, which was written years later.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The little bits of Cosmic where they look at Earth and go "what the gently caress are you idiots doing, we're literally fighting for the galaxy here" are great. Like when Nova swings by earth after the war to chill out a bit and the Thunderbolts jump him and he just laughs and reads them their rights.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't read the Cosmic line, but doesn't Thanos end up being revered as a God in the cancerverse because he brought longed-for death to them at last? Which I think is a cool as poo poo idea.

Retro Futurist posted:

Very much the opposite.

To elaborate, it was a whole universe perverted by the influence of The Many-Angled Ones via their Mar-Vell's fear of death, and they decided to spread in an inter-dimensional invasion.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dark Horse did King Conan, which adapts The Hour of the Dragon and is great. Actually, almost the whole Dark Horse Conan series is great.

flosofl posted:

It has to have been more than 30 years since I read that. If I'm remembering right this is during the Conan the Master Thief times and he's trying to steal a fabled gem(?) from a sorcerer. Such a great story.

"Conan is trying to steal a huge gem" is usually a good bet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Beyonder's been retconned so many times it hardly even matters what the latest retcon is.

The best Beyonder retcon is that they were just loving with everybody, like they were with Nextwave.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Wait, so what's the story with Beyonders and Nextwave?
Okay, brace yourself for some :goonsay:

It turned out later on that the Nextwave team were the only ones who remembered tearing across the country, leveling small towns and killing hundreds of people. In a Secret Wars tie in they found out the Beyond Corporation was back and actually run by the Beyonders, which was where all this bizarre poo poo they had to deal with came from. They were just messing with Nextwave because it amused them.

Blue Marvel and his mad scientist son re-purpose the bad guys' portal to get help from his other son, stuck in the neutral zone, and he throws them out of reality. Then Doom blows up everything, but at least Spectrum has stopped feeling sorry for herself.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Galvanik posted:

Why is Thanos naked?

It involved an evil Mar-Vell and the Many Angled Ones, rulers of the Cancerverse.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Can we talk about The Wild Storm?

(TWS#3)

You seriously need to be reading the reboot if you're not.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Soonmot posted:

What the gently caress was even happening in that scene, she was travelling through devices, but only in short jumps?

She can go between any two screens in the same room, or any two screens showing the same thing, or out of any screen she's in. In an time where everyone is checking their phone, that lets her go anywhere.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Apocron posted:

Why is that?

Same reason they had to come up with a stupid reason to take away most of Doctor Strange's magic to use him, most bad guys can be summed up with "and then the Blue Marvel flew threw him at mach 2."

Also, he's a relatively recent character.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Honestly, they should bring Phobos back so he can kill the poo poo out of Gorgon.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

McCloud posted:

Freezing him. Plastic man turns brittle at sub zero temperatures, so using a modified freeze ray works fine

That wouldn't keep him down, though. You'd have to split up all the pieces into separate glass or whatever, and there's no guarantee he can't just turn them all into glass cutters and put himself back together.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Did he ever actually use that gun on someone?

He is literally using it on multiple someones in that scene.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I don't think there's been enough posted from The Wild Storm, so in case we needed reminding that Michael Cray is a badass, two of his former co-workers have just been sent to his home:

The Wild Storm #6

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Well, those human heads on his wall had to come from somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Danny is basically a wizard only his magic spells are kung-fu techniques.