Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Parahexavoctal posted:

I understand the point of that panel, but I can't see Bruce.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If his socking Iron Man through the ceiling for calling him not a king is any indication, I'm gonna go with no.

And if the answer is still yes than yes, Tony is a complete and utter idiot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Did they ever have any moments where the weight difference when he had the adamantium removed was addressed? Like suddenly be like a shorter spider-man, strength and speedwise now that he wasn't lugging 100lbs around with him?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Didn't no-nose Wolverine eat a baby at one point?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I always liked the Earth X explanation that everyone is a mutant/inhuman/whatever, just some get their powers activated in different ways, whether by secret formula, freak trauma, Terragin Mists, or yes, your parents combined genes. In the book, something has happened to activate the entire world's powers (except Tony Stark, because in this universe, he's a weirdo Howard Hughes shut-in) and a big part of the plot is people trying to find out what caused it exactly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I loved Invasion! Also, it had a lot more effect on Swamp Thing than you'd expect. Alan Moore's last arc on the book has the aliens shoot Swampy off the Earth to get him out of their way, where he ends up wandering the cosmos for like a year, while his vibrations are all out of whack with the Green. He ends up stopping eventually on a planet that's all plant and makes the mistake of using those plants to make his body because whoa, it's a planet of sentient plant people. Eventually a dying old man of a plant lets him take his body, as he happens to be friends with the local Green Lantern, who then helps him fix his problems and return home.

Also, in a later story, Swamp Thing goes to Hell (he seems to go there often enough) and we find out that the aliens who died during Invasion! wound up in Earth Hell, which was a kinda fun twist.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Refreshing my memory, mea culpa. Alan Moore finished his run (with the space stuff caused by Luthor) before Invasion! began. What the aliens did was send Swampy slowly backwards in time, and Rick Veitch was writing by then. It's a shame, Veitch first exhibited a voluminous knowledge of the DCU's past, with tons of surprising guest stars, but then he slowly started hinting at religious ideas, with the idea being that Swamp Thing himself was many holy pieces of wood or trees in religious iconography. Following his storyline, DC was going to hand the book off to Jamie Delano and Neil Gaiman to tag team, each doing half the year. But Veitch's scripts came in with Swamp Thing becoming The Holy Cross Jesus was hung on and the editors were so inflamed that they fired Veitch from the book on the spot. Delano and Gaiman, in quiet protest, refuse to take the job after all (and were already too valuable to DC at the time) so the book got handed off to Doug Wheeler to finish that storyline and then start his own. Gaiman at that point had already written the Annual as his "test run" that year as well, and the stories from it (a decent one involving the return of Brother Power to the DCU, and a filler one involving The Floronic Man) aren't bad stories. Wheeler himself seemed to do a pretty good job of things, cleaning up the story arc he had dropped in his lap, and eventually doing a major arc tying into an old Batman Annual Swamp Thing was involved in (no, not the time he seiged Gotham)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

No, but the lil alligator dude that got ripped to shreds by real gators in that story walks by his side as he trudges through hell in the epilogue story I mentioned (as does Abin Sur) in an effort to rescue his infant daughter. :unsmith:

Kel Gand, father of Mon-El, and the only Daxamite to fall in the Invasion leads them to the very gates between Hell and Purgatory before he balks as there are several in the Dominators faction inside making a new afterlife for themselves, including the Spider Guild who end up owning a whole wing of their own. The other neat thing is in purgatory we see the massive army of Durlans (think Chameleon Boy) in their own personal hell after dying to Earth--they end up being building blocks making empty buildings...being trapped in boring cubes for eternity unable to commune is apparently the worst thing that could befall them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Y'know, I have the game but I never got around to playing it since I'm not usually much for fighty games. I might have to dig it out now, though

Same. A friend bought it for me as a gift and I feel guilty I never played it yet. I hear the Star labs mode is fun too, with interesting stuff to it. (Including a 1 vs 3 fight early on that is almost definitely supposed to be the "Supes on Joker Gas" prologue considering the lineup)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

drat, that's a killer line.

"I took his silver"
"Then you will have my lead"

Is the rest of the book this spaghetti western style?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Isn't that the first time something broke Cap's shield? And like, the gravitas of those actions have been greatly reduced by unoriginal writers several times over since?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mover posted:

Let's not forget one of the dumber Rogue power steals of all time

I don't have the panels, but I'm reminded of one of the cooler Rogue moments. This was early 90s. The team was fighting Nimrod and getting plastered. First, because she gets knocked out, Rogue absorbs Kitty Pride's powers (as well as her nerd analytical background voice) but then things get serious time, so with Kitty's smarts, she comes up with a plan, and grabs both Colossus' and Nightcrawler's powers. She then bamfs in, grabs Nimrod's arm, and teleports away with JUST that piece of him, tearing him apart.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

He used to be way better. He's just fallen onto a lot of crutches to get his stuff done on time nowadays. :smith:

If by "nowadays" you mean the entire 21st century, then I agree...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

What the hell are ripples and stands?

tl;dr answer: Ripples are new agey chakra/energy whosiwhatsits that make the punchmans fight better. Stands are imaginary friends that give the punchmans superpowers.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

But it doesn't even look like any of those cars turn into Iron Man suits? Why blow up a rich guy's garage, even if he is a dick? (And not like Medusa's not an rear end in a top hat anyway)

You answered your own question there pal: Medusa's an rear end in a top hat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I actually like it better myself.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Uthor posted:

I'm not familiar with Eradicator. I'm going to just assume it is this guy.

https://youtu.be/qFO1O020uyw

he's not?!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

He's got the standard superhuman strength and speed and flight, plus his forehead laser. And his intangibility is part of his ability to alter his density and mass at will, which he can control like the Atom. If he were to combine that with his phasing and say, stick his hand inside you then raise the density suddenly, the shock alone would kill you, let alone the fact that he was pulling a Kali Ma on you. As others have said, Monica's probably the only one who poses a threat to him at all there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

This is worse than the time a lady on a pop culture themed game show was asked what a quarter pounder with cheese was called in France and she said "a quarter pounder with cheese" in french.

Let me guess, Beat the Geeks? That show was so full of cringe-worthy unpreparedness by some, and absolute sperglordiness by others. I remember that long haired movie geek would clearly only see hoity toity indie/arthouse/turner classic movies type films, then would get visibly pissed off when someone knew an answer he didn't about like, Happy Gilmore or something. The TV geek guy seemed chill as hell even if he was hard to beat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Tv geek guy was far and away the best. I remember they had an irregular comic book geek and if I recall he would wipe the floor with anyone because 99 people out of 100, especially in 2000 our so didn't know poo poo about comics.

The funniest was the episode where they had some college age girl on as the "South Park Geek" and she got every. single. question. wrong. She was awful.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

Incase it isn't clear, that's a world Groot.

FTFY

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

What about non-parallel alternate universes, like the Mojoverse or the Negative Zone? Did they get snuffed out too?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Possibly but not likely? A few characters did survive the end of it all by removing themselves from reality (Loki and Silver Surfer) so depending on what those realities were anchored to they may have survived. The negative zone / annihilation wave was one of the region in Battleworld.

Reminds me of the Earth X version of Mephisto, where they suggest he miiiight be the only one in the whole multiverse, where he manipulates things on the reg to create lots of alternate realities to jump around in.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There's...a lot wrong with the Earth X universe. Lots of interesting ideas though. Also I love how its history has it branch off from the 616 right about when the Handbooks to the Marvel Universe were first published, and very few characters introduced after that are brought up. And most that are are killed off offscreen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gavok posted:

The best post-Earth X thing was the Spidey one-shot where Peter Parker was stuck in a fantasy-induced coma. Mayday Parker went into his head to bring him back, but then had an emotional breakdown upon finding out that in Peter's fantasy world, his successor was a son he had with Gwen.

"Why did you do this to us?" :smith:

I think the best post-Earth-X thing was the one-shot "Beasts", where Beast, Storm, and Black Panther are trying to lead the Wakandans to the Savage Land (on foot because of course they are) which means crossing through the Antarctic. Along the way on top of the weather and starvation, they have to start fending off attacks by groups of Wendigos, that seem to be increasing in number. Eventually McCoy figures out what's really going on with all the Wendigos--Maddox, lost and starving, ate one of himself, fulfilling the requirements for the Native American curse.

On a lighter note, and bringing it back to Petey, I loved the moment when Spider-Girl gets brought in by X-51, and Venom immediately fights her, and Pete just watches, and others are like "uh, aren't you going to stop them?" and he's all "nah, I've been around too long, I know exactly how this is going. 'I won't let you hurt my father!' 'YOUR father, but he's--you're--' 'you know, I've always wanted a twin sister!' 'Me too!" and then I have ANOTHER mouth to feed in my already too small apartment!" And that's exactly what happens.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gavok posted:

Maltose knows what's up.

Who's the artist here? It gives off a very EC style vibe.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I don't read nearly enough Marvel in my life, has there been much other cases of Thunderball being so erudite in the heat of battle? Most of my (admittedly limited) experience with him has been like, the whole Crew goes after Hulk at once or whatever.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Tactile Telekinesis is a fun thing to say outloud. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason they came up with it.

Too bad it's a power that, while awesome, doesn't translate at all to static comic imagery.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

alright what if, and hear me out, in the name of verisimilitude, Superman has to be naked from now on

eh? eh?

Only if the entire series features Supes standing behind comically placed props to keep things PG.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Top Ten is a great comic both in it's general writing, and in the entire setting itself--a procedural police department in a city where everyone is some sort of "super hero"/Monster/Magical being/Whatever. I only wish we had gotten more of it (besides you know, the weird stuff Alan Moore decided to do with Jeff Smax in the back half of the series)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh I've already read all of Top Ten. And the rest of the America's Best Comics (everything but League of Extraordinary Gentlemen takes place in the same world/universe, btw) except for the more recent Tom Strong stuff made in the last 6 years. Anyone know if those two miniseries were any good?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

That dragon is such a terrifying character.

It really really is. Its shape hurts my head, and it seems to have complete, effortless control over time and space. And all it uses it for is cruelty and entertainment.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ditch posted:

Okay now that's badass :black101:

Everything involving that dragon is really, just very little of it being the good guys.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

drat, I forgot about the secret message part. That was a cool bit.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wanderer posted:

If I remember correctly, Frank Miller's Batman/Spawn was canon to Spawn. Al had to walk around for a couple of issues with a Batarang scar on his face.

iirc, he sewed it up with a dirty shoelace no less.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, the way I interpreted it was that the Acrostic was the Dragon's way of telling Robyn this message was explicitly towards her, not Jaffs. But the whole thing comes across like he's talking THROUGH the flashback, akin to the sort of realization of when someone knows you're spying on them and addresses it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

:suspense:

I...I might need to go start reading Phantom newspaper archives.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So uh, we're all just going to ignore the third rogue in those pages then? Okay.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

Just looks like a normal rouge in a business suit to me.

Well yeah, I was just pointing out that we were talking about a pair of rogues when they were obviously a trio.

Also in the game Enter the Gungeon, a roguelite that recently got a major update, there's a pair of NPCs you can unlock that send you on hunting missions to kill specific enemies for rewards. The game is filled to the brim with guns and gun puns. The pair with suspiciously familiar designs of a big red viking and a small guy in a gray hood? Frifle and the Gray Mauser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Are you sure you want to risk having the remains follow you around forever?

Nobody likes a poultreygeist.